Use a PC monitor with a Blue Ray player?

m...@privacy.net

Jul 26, 2010, 6:12:34 PM7/26/10
I live in an area with NO TV SIGNAL

Instead of using a TV with a Blue ray DVD player....
can it output to a PC LCD monitor instead?

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Jul 26, 2010, 8:28:02 PM7/26/10
m...@privacy.net wrote:

> I live in an area with NO TV SIGNAL

You sure that that is permanent with the change to digital TV ?

> Instead of using a TV with a Blue ray DVD player....
> can it output to a PC LCD monitor instead?

Yes, you can use a blue ray DVD player on a PC fine.

There are also some PC LCD monitors with HDMI inputs too.

Gordon

Jul 27, 2010, 3:23:52 AM7/27/10
m...@privacy.net wrote in news:b22s465ods2m1n2t2...@4ax.com:

> I live in an area with NO TV SIGNAL
>
> Instead of using a TV with a Blue ray DVD player....
> can it output to a PC LCD monitor instead?

There are a couple of ways to do this.
1) Put a Blueray drive into your PC and use a
good media player to watch your Blueray movies.
The advantage of this is that you can also watch
internet video from Hulu, Netflix and their ilk.

2) If you have a component blueray player that you
would like to use, and it has a HDMI output. You can
get a monitor with a HDMI input. But I belive that
you can go from HDMI to DVI with just a passive cable
adaptor. You will have to have a separate audio
system.

m...@privacy.net

Jul 27, 2010, 11:03:03 AM7/27/10
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I live in an area with NO TV SIGNAL
>
>You sure that that is permanent with the change to digital TV ?

My current apartment is down in a "hole" and id have to
put a tower up with antenna on it which I'm not
doing...so in essence I have no signal

Rod Speed

Jul 27, 2010, 5:44:14 PM7/27/10

You sure no one gets digital TV in your area without a tower ?

I find that VERY hard to believe.

Digital TV is very different to analog TV.

Gordon

Jul 28, 2010, 2:22:49 AM7/28/10
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in news:8b929qF4a0U1
@mid.individual.net:

The RF signal still propagates the same way.

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Jul 28, 2010, 2:54:06 AM7/28/10
Gordon wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> m...@privacy.net wrote:
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> My current apartment is down in a "hole" and id have to
>>> put a tower up with antenna on it which I'm not
>>> doing...so in essence I have no signal

>> You sure no one gets digital TV in your area without a tower ?

>> I find that VERY hard to believe.

>> Digital TV is very different to analog TV.

> The RF signal still propagates the same way.

Wrong, you dont get ghosts for starters.

And it works a lot better in weak signal areas too.

Gordon

Jul 29, 2010, 1:41:01 AM7/29/10
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in news:8ba2ghF5b0U1
@mid.individual.net:

>>> Digital TV is very different to analog TV.
>
>> The RF signal still propagates the same way.
>
> Wrong, you dont get ghosts for starters.
>
> And it works a lot better in weak signal areas too.

The RF still propagates the same way. It doesn't
make any difference that there is digital information
modulated onto the carrier. RF is still RF. It behaves
the same regardless of what type of information it
is carying.

Oh, about the ghosts. ATSC tuners and decoders have
circuits that cancel them. You don't see them because
they have been processed out, not because they don't
exist.

Rod Speed

Jul 29, 2010, 3:12:28 PM7/29/10
Gordon wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> The RF signal still propagates the same way.

>> Wrong, you dont get ghosts for starters.

>> And it works a lot better in weak signal areas too.

> The RF still propagates the same way.

Still works a hell of a lot better at weak signal levels where
there is no direct path between the transmitter and receiver.

> It doesn't make any difference that there is digital information
> modulated onto the carrier. RF is still RF. It behaves the same
> regardless of what type of information it is carying.

Wrong with weak signal levels.

> Oh, about the ghosts. ATSC tuners and decoders have circuits that cancel them.

Lie with digital TV.

> You don't see them because they have been processed out, not because they don't exist.

Yes, they still exist, but they are just ignored with digital TV.

Gordon

Jul 30, 2010, 2:31:12 AM7/30/10

> Gordon wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Wrong, you dont get ghosts for starters.
>
>>> And it works a lot better in weak signal areas too.
>
>> The RF still propagates the same way.
>
> Still works a hell of a lot better at weak signal levels where
> there is no direct path between the transmitter and receiver.

Yes, digital signals are less suseptable to interfearence. And
multipath reception is a form of self interfearence. But that has
nothing to do with RF propagation.

>> It doesn't make any difference that there is digital information
>> modulated onto the carrier. RF is still RF. It behaves the same
>> regardless of what type of information it is carying.
>
> Wrong with weak signal levels.

Bull! RF is still RF.

>> Oh, about the ghosts. ATSC tuners and decoders have circuits that
>> cancel them.
>
> Lie with digital TV.

Look it up.

>> You don't see them because they have been processed out, not because
>> they don't exist.
>
> Yes, they still exist, but they are just ignored with digital TV.

Yes. That's what I said.

Rod Speed

Jul 30, 2010, 6:15:33 AM7/30/10
Gordon wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Gordon wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> The RF still propagates the same way.

>> Still works a hell of a lot better at weak signal levels where
>> there is no direct path between the transmitter and receiver.

> Yes, digital signals are less suseptable to interfearence.
> And multipath reception is a form of self interfearence.
> But that has nothing to do with RF propagation.

You were the only one rabbitting on about RF propagation.

>>> It doesn't make any difference that there is digital information
>>> modulated onto the carrier. RF is still RF. It behaves the same
>>> regardless of what type of information it is carying.

>> Wrong with weak signal levels.

> Bull! RF is still RF.

You just said the exact opposite, fool.

>>> Oh, about the ghosts. ATSC tuners and decoders have circuits that cancel them.

>> Lie with digital TV.

> Look it up.

Dont need to, its a lie.

>>> You don't see them because they have been processed out, not because they don't exist.

>> Yes, they still exist, but they are just ignored with digital TV.

> Yes. That's what I said.

Nothing like what you said.

Gordon

Jul 31, 2010, 2:09:36 AM7/31/10

>>> Wrong with weak signal levels.
>
>> Bull! RF is still RF.
>
> You just said the exact opposite, fool.

Itiot!
I did not. Re-read the 2nd line. I added emphisis so you can find it.

Gordon

Jul 31, 2010, 2:11:43 AM7/31/10
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in news:8bfn29F3b6U2
@mid.individual.net:

> You were the only one rabbitting on about RF propagation.

Because RF propagation determinies if you can get
a signal or not. And how good that signal will be.
The OP said that he could not get TV reception.

Rod Speed

Jul 31, 2010, 5:42:09 AM7/31/10
Gordon wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Gordon wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Yes, digital signals are less suseptable to interfearence.
>>> And multipath reception is a form of self interfearence.
>>> But that has nothing to do with RF propagation.

>> You were the only one rabbitting on about RF propagation.

> Because RF propagation determinies if you can get a signal or not.

You can ALWAYS get a signal in the situation being discussed, fuckwit.

> And how good that signal will be. The OP said that he could not get TV reception.

He didnt even say that, he ACTUALLY said that he needed a tower
to get adequate reception and that is very unlikely with digital TV.

>>> Bull! RF is still RF.

> Itiot!

Fuckwit!!!

> I did not.

Everyone can see for themselves that you are lying, as always.

> Re-read the 2nd line. I added emphisis so you can find it.

Pity about your shit you carefully deleted from the quoting and I have restored.