Weird credit score number

Annie Woughman

Apr 10, 2010, 6:22:32 PM4/10/10
We are in the process of renewing our home equity line of credit. Today in
the mail we got notice of our credit score. The letter said that credit
scores range between 300 to 850, then stated that our score was 00874. What
kind of a number is that? It has two zeros to start with and doesn't fall
within the credit score ranges. Does anyone know about these things?

Apr 11, 2010, 2:31:46 AM4/11/10

"Annie Woughman" <anniew...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Did this come from one of the 3 credit score companies (Experian, etc.) or
was this some random advert from a marketing company? And receiving it in
the mail (not online) when you're in the midst of refinancing sounds fishy.
If the letter states (correctly) that "credit scores are between 350 and
850" then, obviously, a score of "00874" is completely bogus. Did you check
out the return address. Who sent this to you? From whom did you request your
credit score? If you didn't request it, then it's most likely some sort of
bogus marketing/scam.

Annie Woughman

Apr 11, 2010, 10:50:13 AM4/11/10

"h" <tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote in message

No, it is legit--it is from Experian with a cover letter from our bank.

Apr 11, 2010, 11:12:53 AM4/11/10

"Annie Woughman" <anniew...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Call them and ask.

Annie Woughman

Apr 11, 2010, 12:59:16 PM4/11/10

"h" <tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote in message

I plan to. I just didn't want to have to wait all weekend to find out. I
was hoping that maybe someone on here had recently been through the process
and knew what it meant.

Gene S. Berkowitz

Apr 11, 2010, 6:17:59 PM4/11/10
In article <Fdnwn.27668$kj3....@newsfe08.iad>,
anniew...@hotmail.com says...

I would lay odds that the letter you received is _specifically
designed_ to get you to call in. If they can get YOU to call
THEM, the odds of them be able to sell you some semi-useless
"credit protection" subscription goes up geometrically.

So, basically, it IS a marketing scam, though one perpetrated by
your bank (and my spider sense tells me it's probably a "too big
to fail" bank).

--Gene

Clincher

Apr 11, 2010, 7:43:21 PM4/11/10

>>> No, it is legit--it is from Experian with a cover letter from our bank.
>>
>> Call them and ask.
>>
> I plan to. I just didn't want to have to wait all weekend to find out. I
> was hoping that maybe someone on here had recently been through the
> process and knew what it meant.

Did you even ask to get your score?

FYI, Experian stopped selling FICO scores to consumers some time ago. When
they do sell scores, it's something like Vantage score (ranges from 501-990)
or some other proprietary score which isn't worth the paper its written on
(the only score you care about is what your lender uses.) And FICO or not,
they're sure not in the habit of giving it away.

Like others here, I smell a scam.