Driving makes you an Animal

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Feb 20, 2011, 4:33:08 PM2/20/11
"According to Swiss author Siro Spörli, the automobile is as dangerous
as a drug. Humans experience a rush of power and lust flowing through
them every time they drive, every time they are in control of a large
technical machine like a car. The car thus takes on a different
meaning, no longer just a means of travel, but a surrogate
satisfaction. Humans try to find a fulfilled moment in their
stressful, unsatisfying lives, and at the same time become even more a
victim to a speed rush."

http://www.electriccyclery.com/catalog/the-suv-as-drug-a-6.html

In other words, driving makes you an animal. Hey, I'm not denying my
animalism, just that it makes you a DANGEROUS ANIMAL when you are
behind the wheel and deny me space. Another way to look at it is that
it makes you a big animal and me a small animal, or simply it makes
you the PREDATOR and me the PREY.

Wait, don't stop reading yet in denial. It also makes you prey if you
drive a SMART car or similar vehicle.

I just had it and prefer to ride my monkey bike or my new "Revolutions
for the Planet" bike,* which makes me feel like a happy Homo Sapiens
Sapiens. Yes, I have finally evolved, how 'bout you?

*Sun bicycles

This how to pacify yourself...

'Examples of the positive approach might be the annual Car-Free Day in
France (see World News section) or the Bike-to-Work Weeks organised in
some American cities. It doesn't work to simply offer people transport
"alternatives" or "options"; effective campaigns take people by the
hand and actively encourage them to break the car habit.

If insights like that continue, will the first "Autoholics Anonymous"
groups start sprouting up? Will there be psychiatrists and social
workers specializing on curing car addicts? Will we have state-
sponsored detoxification programs with electric cars as methadone and
people publicly declaring to be car-free, destroying their formerly
beloved vehicles?'

thirty-six

Feb 21, 2011, 10:59:31 AM2/21/11
On Feb 20, 9:33 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the

Probable for the majority of amateur drivers.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Feb 21, 2011, 11:10:54 AM2/21/11

Yeah, people who don't really like to drive. They just want an
automatic Toyota to go to Walmart or around the corner.

I understand some people may actually enjoy driving a VW GTI or Mazda
Miata. Stick shift, please!

thirty-six

Feb 21, 2011, 11:20:27 AM2/21/11
On Feb 21, 4:10 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the

I was using the term amateur as the opposite of professional. Those
not receiving payment for their efforts seek renumeration in other
ways. In any case I do not wish to further this discussion at the
present time.