zip unzip

Jeff

Feb 6, 2009, 12:31:36 PM2/6/09
When my boot drive died I lost WinZip.

Any suggestions for a freeware/shareware Unzip program?

I've tried a couple and the first failed to install and the second (7
zip) only installed the "Free Dolphin Screensaver" which I didn't want,
and not the Unzip program!

Jeff

fang

Feb 6, 2009, 1:17:52 PM2/6/09
Jeff wrote:

> When my boot drive died I lost WinZip.

That shouldnt have been a problem if you paid for the copy of WinZip you were using.

> Any suggestions for a freeware/shareware Unzip program?

WinZip, or what comes with the OS.

> I've tried a couple and the first failed to install and the second (7 zip) only installed the "Free Dolphin
> Screensaver" which I didn't want, and not the Unzip program!

If you just want to unzip as you said, both XP and Vista will unzip for free.

There's plenty of others too like WinRAR.

Woody

Feb 6, 2009, 3:54:28 PM2/6/09

"Jeff" <dont_...@all.uk> wrote in message

My favourite is WinRar (www.rarlab.com). It's a 30-day trial but I actually
bothered to purchase the licence.

Woody

Gordon

Feb 6, 2009, 5:47:19 PM2/6/09
Jeff <dont_...@all.uk> wrote in

7-zip would have been my recomendation. But Windows does
basic zip/unzip taskes, so unless you are doing some advanced
zip/unzip tasks, you probably don't need anything else.

Gary Heston

Feb 6, 2009, 7:04:50 PM2/6/09
In article <1ISdnadsefhk7hHU...@earthlink.com>,

This is what we use at work:

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Compression_and_Zip_File_Utilities/Arkosoft_FileZip.html

No problems so far.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man"
General of the Army (four stars) Ann Dunwoody

Dave Garland

Feb 6, 2009, 10:34:45 PM2/6/09
Gordon wrote:
> 7-zip would have been my recomendation. But Windows does
> basic zip/unzip taskes, so unless you are doing some advanced
> zip/unzip tasks, you probably don't need anything else.

Second the recommendation. 7Z is good and unlike WinZip, 7Z is free
for the download http://www.7-zip.org/ But Windows (XP and later)
does do the basics without an add-on.

Dave

Feb 7, 2009, 9:28:15 AM2/7/09

> "Jeff" <dont_...@all.uk> wrote in message
>> When my boot drive died I lost WinZip.
>>
>> Any suggestions for a freeware/shareware Unzip program?
>>
>> I've tried a couple and the first failed to install and the second (7
>> zip) only installed the "Free Dolphin Screensaver" which I didn't want,
>> and not the Unzip program!
>>
>> Jeff

Google is your friend. There are TONS of options out there.

Parallax

Feb 7, 2009, 9:38:16 AM2/7/09

Jeff

Feb 8, 2009, 12:45:35 AM2/8/09

Thanks.

I tried Gary Hestons suggestion (jZip) which apparently is 7Zip (from
your link) but with less "bonus" software to opt out of.

So far, works fine.

Thanks to all.

I have some vague memory of just doing this from a command prompt,
that must have been when OS's came on a floppy!

Jeff

Rod Speed

Feb 8, 2009, 3:25:24 PM2/8/09