Warning re Biodegradable Plastic Bags

Evelyn Leeper

Dec 17, 2008, 2:58:08 PM12/17/08
If, like me, you like to keep a plastic bag or two in your jacket pocket
in case you need one, *don't* try this with biodegradable plastic bags.

You see, they are ... well, biodegradable, and after some period of time
in your pocket, will degrade into a pile of tiny plastic confetti which
manages to cling to just about everything.

:-( :-(

(My only consolation is that I assume that over time the various
minuscule flakes I keep finding will degrade to something invisible to
the human eye.)

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Be braver. You cannot cross a chasm in two small jumps.

Message has been deleted

Evelyn Leeper

Dec 17, 2008, 5:58:57 PM12/17/08
MSfo...@mcpmail.com wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2:58 pm, Evelyn Leeper <elee...@optonline.net> wrote:
>> If, like me, you like to keep a plastic bag or two in your jacket pocket
>> in case you need one, *don't* try this with biodegradable plastic bags.
>>
>> You see, they are ... well, biodegradable, and after some period of time
>> in your pocket, will degrade into a pile of tiny plastic confetti which
>> manages to cling to just about everything.
>>
>> :-( :-(
>>
>> (My only consolation is that I assume that over time the various
>> minuscule flakes I keep finding will degrade to something invisible to
>> the human eye.)
>
> Always wise to be skeptical of new technology, but I doubt you have a
> problem. Unless you have sunlight and a compost pile in your pocket,
> the bag may outlast you.

You missed my point--I had a bag that degraded even without sunlight and
a compost pile in my pocket.

(It could be worse--I know someone who almost burned themselves carrying
keys and a 9V transistor battery in their pocket when a key ended out
resting on both terminals of the battery for a fair length of time. As
it was, it melted the hard candy they had in that pocket!)

Message has been deleted

Zee

Dec 18, 2008, 9:06:54 PM12/18/08
On Dec 18, 6:58 am, Evelyn Leeper <elee...@optonline.net> wrote:
> Be braver.  You cannot cross a chasm in two small jumps.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for sharing your stories. Lucky for me I keep the plastic bags
on my cars glove compartment.

asiand...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2008, 2:56:18 AM12/19/08
From my experience some of the shopping plastic bag degrades faster
than the others even in the closet where it is warm, dark & dry.

AsianDoll

Since its my school semester break I have been using my free time
playing games like <a href=http://www.gamestotal.com> http://www.gamestotal.com
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com> http://3700ad.gamestotal.com </a>

Mark Leeper

Dec 19, 2008, 7:46:45 AM12/19/08
On Dec 17, 5:58 pm, Evelyn Leeper <elee...@optonline.net> wrote:
> MSfort...@mcpmail.com wrote:

> (It could be worse--I know someone who almost burned themselves carrying
> keys and a 9V transistor battery in their pocket when a key ended out
> resting on both terminals of the battery for a fair length of time.  As
> it was, it melted the hard candy they had in that pocket!)
>
> --EvelynC.Leeper

Actually the story was more bizarre than that. I was the someone.
There were no keys. I was keeping in a pocket a spare 9-volt battery
and as it happens a Jolly Rancher candy. Somehow both leads of the 9-
volt ended up touching the candy, which is a lowgrade conductor. I
guess the current started melting the candy making a better
connection. All I know is that I had a hot spot in my pocket and
found the 9-volt and the melted candy.

--Mark

Gary Heston

Dec 19, 2008, 7:37:15 PM12/19/08
In article <25d24844-f571-4267...@g1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
Mark Leeper <mle...@optonline.net> wrote:
[ ... ]

>Actually the story was more bizarre than that. I was the someone.
>There were no keys. I was keeping in a pocket a spare 9-volt battery
>and as it happens a Jolly Rancher candy. Somehow both leads of the 9-
>volt ended up touching the candy, which is a lowgrade conductor. I
>guess the current started melting the candy making a better
>connection. All I know is that I had a hot spot in my pocket and
>found the 9-volt and the melted candy.

Back in the days when police carried revolvers, it was a common practice
to carry spare ammo loose in a pocket. That in itself is fairly safe.

Then, these newfangled portable radios were issued, but they had a problem
with battery life being short, so they carried spare battery packs. After
a few incidents of rounds discharging when they got across the terminals
of a battery, causing relatively minor injuries, officers were provided
with belt pouches to keep batteries where they wouldn't short against
anything.

Older lithium batteries are particularly hazardous; I worked with some
that were about the size of a 1/2 long AA cell--they would dump 75 amps
into a dead short, until they exploded.

Carry batteries safely; medical emergencies aren't frugal.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man"
General of the Army (four stars) Ann Dunwoody