Fire chief says most smoke alarms may not detect smoke until it is too late.

zeez

Aug 26, 2010, 1:42:35 AM8/26/10
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/08/15/MN1O1ETTCS.DTL

"Albany Fire Chief Marc McGinn says most smoke alarms in American
homes are nearly useless and put residents in danger - so he's on a
crusade to get them all swapped out for a cheap, better alternative."

"McGinn - armed with a cluster of independent research conducted since
the 1970s when the alarms hit the market and governments began urging
everyone to get them - says the ionization alarms are so inferior to
the photoelectric alarms that they are "deadly." Unlike
photoelectrics, ionizations were built primarily as flame detectors,
he says - and people need warning long before a fire gets to the flame
stage so they can flee, avoid fatal smoke inhalation or even react to
squelch the blaze."
--