Anybody here use Pingo?

OhioGuy

Feb 19, 2009, 2:27:39 PM2/19/09
I listen to Clark Howard's radio show occasionally, and a few months
ago I heard him talk about a company called Pingo, that evidently offers
a good deal on long distance telephone service.

I signed up to test it for a month, and once I was satisfied, we
dumped our old calling card and started to use this for all of our long
distance. (1.8 cents a minute through a local access #, 2.8 cents a
minute using their toll free access number) We are here in Ohio, and
90%+ of the people I call are in Ohio.

Everything worked fine over the last couple of months, until this
past week. Suddenly, calls to the 440 area code won't complete. They
technically go through - the phone at the numbers we call rings - but
neither we or the party we are calling can hear anything at all. In
fact, on this end we don't even hear the ringing happening on the line.
We have called people, and they just assume it is a prank call, with
no one there.

I contacted Pingo, and this was their reply:

>Thank you for contacting Pingo. Unfortunately "Pingo is not intended
>for intrastate dialing in the U.S". For example if you are in Florida
>you can not complete calls, using Pingo, to call Florida.

This is a bunch of bull, because everyone else I've been calling is
here in Ohio, just as we are. Just in the past couple of days I've
successfully placed calls to the 419, 614 and 216 area codes - all in
Ohio. (we are in the 513 area code)

This is a really big issue, because my wife is due to deliver our
third child any day now, and she can't call her parents and other
immediate relatives. (most of whom live in the 440 area code) This
area code previously worked fine before when we tried it using Pingo,
and now they are telling us that it isn't working because it isn't
supposed to. I think I'm going to have to get some sort of backup
calling card she can use until this is straightened out. It's bizarre
to be put into a situation where I can call all of my friends and
relatives, but she can no longer call hers.

Has anyone else suddenly found Pingo not to work for Intrastate calls
that had worked previously?

Dave

Feb 19, 2009, 5:52:06 PM2/19/09
(snip)

Don't know how much this Pingo thing costs, but there are a couple of
options. The magicjack thing is said to work fine, as reviewed by major
consumer organizations, or so I've heard. Haven't tried it. But it's like
$20 a year, or something ridiculous like that. Worth a try IF your computer
has a broadband (cable modem or DSL) connection to the Internet.

Or, you could try VOIP like Vonage or similar. We use Voipyourlife, it
works pretty good. But again, this depends on a broadband (cable modem or
DSL) connection the Internet. -Dave

imascot

Feb 19, 2009, 6:20:17 PM2/19/09
OhioGuy <no...@none.net> wrote in news:gnkbss$1dcp$1...@news.ett.com.ua:

> This
> area code previously worked fine before when we tried it using Pingo,
> and now they are telling us that it isn't working because it isn't
> supposed to. I think I'm going to have to get some sort of backup
> calling card she can use until this is straightened out. It's bizarre
> to be put into a situation where I can call all of my friends and
> relatives, but she can no longer call hers.
>
> Has anyone else suddenly found Pingo not to work for Intrastate calls
> that had worked previously?

I haven't used Pingo, but there are several long distance companies that charge rates in that ballpark,
and include interstate coverage. The comparison site I used to find my current LD company is here:

http://www.saveonphone.com/

J.

Zee

Feb 20, 2009, 2:00:34 AM2/20/09

I haven't use Pingo and I looked into their website and can't find
their policy on intrastate calls. Their FAQ page won't tell anything
about it either.

You can check Onesuite prepaid long distance service, rates are about
the same as Pingo but it will surely works whether it's intrastate,
interstate or overseas calls.
Their website is http://www.onesuite.com.

HTH

www.Queensbridge.us

Feb 20, 2009, 2:08:27 AM2/20/09

If you consider MagiJack, be sure to Google "MagicJack reviews"

I like OneSuite for interstate, intrastate and can also call from
OUTSIDE USA!
Incredibly low long distance phone rates.
As low as USA-Canada 1.9CPM! Works as prepaid phone card.
PIN not needed for calls from home or cell phone.
Compare the rates at https://www.OneSuite.com No monthly fee or
minimum.
Use Promotion/SuiteTreat Code: "FREEoffer23" for FREE time. Works FROM
many other countries.

Message has been deleted

Stephen

Feb 25, 2009, 12:47:07 AM2/25/09
On Feb 20, 9:58 pm, Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote:

> OhioGuy <n...@none.net> wrote:
> >I think I'm going to have to get some sort of backup
> >calling card she can use until this is straightened out.
>
>         What's wrong with Onesuite? Have you tried it? I've used it since
> Feb, '02 for inter- and intrastate calls (Florida) with absolutely no
> problems, although, folks in other parts of U.S.A. report spotty
> service.

Same here. I find Onesuite prepaid calling card service and voip
feature very reliable. I think it's better if you make Onesuite as
your primary calling card and Pingo as your back up.