So Anyway, My Hard Drive Crashed

Gary Sokolisch

Feb 6, 2011, 9:33:43 PM2/6/11
And I let the tech talk me into a new PC. Bad move; it has Windows 7. For
one thing, programs are lost. This never happened when I went from 98 to
XP. Oh sweet mother of mercy, how I miss XP. Also, the tech failed to
save my music from the old Win player. You can't get those songs now; it's
illegal. But worst of all, it's a bitch to download Flash. Windows 7
comes with two IEs: a 64-bit default and a 32-bit. The 64-bit will not
accept Flash. So I have to use 32-bit to get the latest Flash.

Sometimes I do the dumbest things.

Rod Speed

Feb 6, 2011, 10:40:12 PM2/6/11
Gary Sokolisch wrote:

> And I let the tech talk me into a new PC. Bad move; it has Windows 7.

Even someone as stupid as you should have check what others feel about that move before you did it.

> For one thing, programs are lost.

None that cant be replaced.

> This never happened when I went from 98 to XP.

Thats a lie. It might not have happened to you, but it did happen to some.

> Oh sweet mother of mercy, how I miss XP.

Nothing to stop you going back to it if you want to.

> Also, the tech failed to save my music from the old Win player.

And you have that in your backup so thats just yawn.

> You can't get those songs now; it's illegal.

Thats a lie. It always was illegal.

> But worst of all, it's a bitch to download Flash. Windows 7 comes with
> two IEs: a 64-bit default and a 32-bit. The 64-bit will not accept Flash.
> So I have to use 32-bit to get the latest Flash.

Hardly the end of civilisation was we know it.

> Sometimes I do the dumbest things.

Yes you do. A Jap would at least have the decency to disembowel itself.

Dont make mess of the carpet.

Bill

Feb 7, 2011, 1:04:11 AM2/7/11

Windows 7 is quite good, I don't know why you are complaining. Just
because the machine only came with IE, there is no reason why you cannot
install Firefox or Chorne or Safari or whatever browser you want. I
understand there is a beta of Flash for 64-bit IE, but it's not that big
a deal to just run 32-bit IE if you really want to have IE.

As for your music, I have no idea what is illegal about getting the old
ones. Had you downloaded them illegally and not you can't get them
again? Do you still have the old machine and old drive? Did you ask the
tech to recover them for you?

Also, you likely did not lose programs when you went from 98 to XP
because you stayed with the same machine, not because of the OS switch.

Bill

Gary Sokolisch

Feb 7, 2011, 7:57:58 AM2/7/11
On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 01:04:11 -0500, Bill wrote:

> On 2/6/2011 9:33 PM, Gary Sokolisch wrote:
>> And I let the tech talk me into a new PC. Bad move; it has Windows 7. For
>> one thing, programs are lost. This never happened when I went from 98 to
>> XP. Oh sweet mother of mercy, how I miss XP. Also, the tech failed to
>> save my music from the old Win player. You can't get those songs now; it's
>> illegal. But worst of all, it's a bitch to download Flash. Windows 7
>> comes with two IEs: a 64-bit default and a 32-bit. The 64-bit will not
>> accept Flash. So I have to use 32-bit to get the latest Flash.
>>
>> Sometimes I do the dumbest things.
>
> Windows 7 is quite good, I don't know why you are complaining. Just
> because the machine only came with IE, there is no reason why you cannot
> install Firefox or Chorne or Safari or whatever browser you want. I
> understand there is a beta of Flash for 64-bit IE, but it's not that big
> a deal to just run 32-bit IE if you really want to have IE.
>
> As for your music, I have no idea what is illegal about getting the old
> ones. Had you downloaded them illegally and not you can't get them
> again? Do you still have the old machine and old drive? Did you ask the
> tech to recover them for you?

Yes I asked the tech to recover them.

> Also, you likely did not lose programs when you went from 98 to XP
> because you stayed with the same machine, not because of the OS switch.
>
> Bill

Not true. I got new machines that began with 95, then 98, then XP, and now
7. Four machines; four OS. And the tech rovered all the old stuff when we
updated from 98 to XP.

Al

Feb 8, 2011, 5:32:39 PM2/8/11

Hey, if your hard drive really crashed, how were they supposed to get
anything off of it? The answer is that your hard drive probably did
not crash. You probably only had a minor software problem do to your
ignorance in managing your computer. You should still have the old
hard drive and can retrieve anything still readable. It will have to
be done by someone more knowledgeable than you though.

Gordon

Feb 8, 2011, 5:56:47 PM2/8/11
Al <albu...@mailinator.com> wrote in news:b02864df-6445-424d-b262-
273bef...@j11g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

> Hey, if your hard drive really crashed, how were they supposed to get
> anything off of it? The answer is that your hard drive probably did
> not crash. You probably only had a minor software problem do to your
> ignorance in managing your computer. You should still have the old
> hard drive and can retrieve anything still readable. It will have to
> be done by someone more knowledgeable than you though.

For what it's worth, there is a really good program called TeraCopy
that is great for retrieving data from failing hard drives.