Is it legal for a company to SHORTEN their advertised warranty?

OhioGuy

Feb 14, 2009, 1:59:55 PM2/14/09
I've run into a couple of instances recently where a company seems to
have retroactively changed the warranty on a product. The first was the
actual manufacturer, and the second was a reseller.

The first was a Logitech Trackman Wheel trackball, model # T-BB18.
Inside the retail box, it clearly describes it as "Logitech warrants
that any hardware products accompanying this documentation shall be free
from significant defects in material and workmanship for a period of
five years from the date of purchase." On the back of the box, it even
says in French, Garantie 5 ans, and in Spanish, Garantia de 5 anos. I
think it was pretty clear cut.

However, when I got on the website and put in the model # and
everything, they only show a 3 year warranty for it. 2 years
disappeared! So instead of having just under 4 years left, I supposedly
only have less than 2 years. Not nice being told your warranty has been
cut in half, and you're not getting what the box said you were.
Normally it wouldn't be much of an issue, but the cord developed some
sort of short circuit about 3" from where it leaves the trackball, so
I'm going to try to get it replaced under the warranty. (granted - it's
a first for any Logitech product I've ever owned)

The other instance was a digital projector that was advertised on
Tigerdirect.com with a 24 month warranty on parts, and a 24 month
warranty on labor. (the manufacturer's website says that the warranty
varies by reseller) At the time I placed my order, I decided it would
also be prudent to grab a screenshot of the page showing the two year
warranty.

I'm glad I did, because now that Tigerdirect is sold out, when I go
to the same page and look at the description, it has been changed to
show only a 12 month warranty on parts and labor - not 24 months. I
have proof that it was marketed and sold as having a two year warranty,
so I hope the manufacturer will honor this if I need to have the unit
serviced during that time.

How about you - have you noticed any similar changing of an
advertised warranty after the fact?

John A. Weeks III

Feb 14, 2009, 2:29:53 PM2/14/09
In article <gn74cm$1b63$1...@news.ett.com.ua>, OhioGuy <no...@none.net>
wrote:

> I've run into a couple of instances recently where a company seems to
> have retroactively changed the warranty on a product. The first was the
> actual manufacturer, and the second was a reseller.

In general, the store that sold you the merchandise can be held
to honor the warranty. Simply file a small claims suit, and show
your paperwork to the judge. If you can show the date of purchase
and the paper with the warranty period, you should prevail.

-john-

John A. Weeks III           612-720-2854            jo...@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications                         http://www.johnweeks.com

Rod Speed

Feb 14, 2009, 2:36:18 PM2/14/09
Yes they can do that for NEW sales, but not for a sale already made.

OhioGuy wrote:

> I've run into a couple of instances recently where a company seems
> to have retroactively changed the warranty on a product. The first
> was the actual manufacturer, and the second was a reseller.

The law applys to both.

> The first was a Logitech Trackman Wheel trackball, model # T-BB18.
> Inside the retail box, it clearly describes it as "Logitech warrants
> that any hardware products accompanying this documentation shall be
> free from significant defects in material and workmanship for a
> period of five years from the date of purchase." On the back of the
> box, it even says in French, Garantie 5 ans, and in Spanish, Garantia
> de 5 anos. I think it was pretty clear cut.

Yep.

> However, when I got on the website and put in the model # and everything, they only show a 3 year warranty for it. 2
> years disappeared!

Doesnt affect the warranty you are legally entitled to.

> So instead of having just under 4 years left, I supposedly only have less than 2 years.

Thats wrong. You are legally entitled to what the box and paperwork say.

> Not nice being told your warranty has been cut in half,

It hasnt been.

> and you're not getting what the box said you were.

You're still legally entitled to that.

> Normally it wouldn't be much of an issue, but the cord developed some sort of short circuit about 3" from where it
> leaves the trackball, so I'm going to try to get it replaced under the warranty.

You'll be fine.

> (granted - it's a first for any Logitech product I've ever owned)

Yeah, presumably its just them cutting their costs with the economy tanking.

> The other instance was a digital projector that was advertised on
> Tigerdirect.com with a 24 month warranty on parts, and a 24 month
> warranty on labor. (the manufacturer's website says that the warranty
> varies by reseller) At the time I placed my order, I decided it would also be prudent to grab a screenshot of the
> page showing the two year warranty.

> I'm glad I did, because now that Tigerdirect is sold out, when I go
> to the same page and look at the description, it has been changed to show only a 12 month warranty on parts and
> labor - not 24 months. I have proof that it was marketed and sold as having a two year
> warranty, so I hope the manufacturer will honor this if I need to
> have the unit serviced during that time.

> How about you - have you noticed any similar changing of an advertised warranty after the fact?

Nope. But then I havent looked either.

Recently bought a LX310 and its got a 5 year warranty on the box and the web site.

albu...@mailinator.com

Feb 14, 2009, 8:21:39 PM2/14/09

Warranties change all the time. You're jumping the gun. Nobody denied
you you warranty. Where did you get the idea that a company had to
keep everything the same for every buyer after you?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted