Damn Pedestrians!

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 15, 2011, 7:17:11 PM3/15/11
Here I am, a legitimate refugee from the mean roads riding my bike
down the sidewalk, I ring the bell twice and this pedestrian is faking
she doesn't listen to me because he's listening to her MP3, singing
and dancing!

I think it is time to settle once and for all who owns the road and
who own the sidewalks. And who are we supposed to be sharing with in
the first place?

There's no civility in this world or what?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 15, 2011, 8:06:41 PM3/15/11
On Mar 15, 7:52 pm, dr_jeff <u...@msu.edu> wrote:
> On 3/15/11 7:19 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, aka Comandante

> Banana wrote:
> > Here I am, a legitimate refugee from the mean roads riding my bike
> > down the sidewalk, I ring the bell twice and this pedestrian is faking
> > she doesn't listen to me because he's listening to her MP3, singing
> > and dancing!
>
> > I think it is time to settle once and for all who owns the road and
> > who own the sidewalks. And who are we supposed to be sharing with in
> > the first place?
>
> > There's no civility in this world or what?
>
> In NYC and most parts of the United States, bicycles are legally
> vehicles, like cars. Their riders are required to obey all the road
> rules, like stop signs, yield signs, red lights and not driving on
> sidewalks. In addition, in NYC, bikes may not be riden on sidewalks. It
> is too dangerous for pedestrians and bike riders, alike. It is dangerous
> for bike riders because people backing cars or trucks out often don't
> expect fast moving things on sidewalks, so they don't look for bikes on
> sidewalks.
>
> In California, it is illegal to ride on the sidewalk, as well:http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/shr_slow_veh.htm#bike
>
> California bicycle safety:http://dmv.ca.gov/about/bicycle.htm

I can buy that argument against bikes on sidewalks, but their legal
status on the roads is not backed up by facilities, enforcement or a
willingness to share by some drivers.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 15, 2011, 8:34:24 PM3/15/11
On Mar 15, 8:10 pm, dr_jeff <u...@msu.edu> wrote:
> On 3/15/11 8:04 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, aka Comandante
> Facilities, enforcement and willingness to share by some drivers has no
> effect on their legal status. Nor does the stupidity which some bike
> ride show when they ride.

To be honest, I expect not indifference nor a terrorized look, but
solidarity.

We and pedestrians should form a Bipedal Coalition both looking for
survival.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 15, 2011, 10:35:22 PM3/15/11
On Mar 15, 10:07 pm, dr_jeff <u...@msu.edu> wrote:
> Asinine crossposting deleted.
>
> On 3/15/11 8:32 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, aka Comandante
> Why? Can't we just do the right thing (ride or walk safely, follow the
> law, including bicyclers staying off the sidewalks)? Not everything has
> to be complicated.

Today I rode half of the way on sidewalks under dire conditions, and
then rode on the road still under dire conditions since there were no
rideable sidewalks. It's a thing you must evaluate constantly in order
to survive: sidewalk or no sidewalk.

I'm all for banning and impounding bikes on sidewalks but conditions
on the road must be secured first. Let's say the animals behind the
wheel are to be tamed.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 16, 2011, 1:45:54 AM3/16/11
On Mar 16, 12:41 am, Foxtrot <foxt...@null.com> wrote:
> "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, aka Comandante Banana" <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >dr_jeff <u...@msu.edu> wrote:
> >> In NYC and most parts of the United States, bicycles are legally
> >> vehicles, like cars. Their riders are required to obey all the road
> >> rules, like stop signs, yield signs, red lights and not driving on
> >> sidewalks. In addition, in NYC, bikes may not be riden on sidewalks. It
> >> is too dangerous for pedestrians and bike riders, alike. It is dangerous
> >> for bike riders because people backing cars or trucks out often don't
> >> expect fast moving things on sidewalks, so they don't look for bikes on
> >> sidewalks.
>
> >> In California, it is illegal to ride on the sidewalk, as well:http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/shr_slow_veh.htm#bike
>
> >> California bicycle safety:http://dmv.ca.gov/about/bicycle.htm
>
> >I can buy that argument against bikes on sidewalks, but their legal
> >status on the roads is not backed up by facilities, enforcement or a
> >willingness to share by some drivers.
>
> If bikers held me up back when I smoked, I'd get in front of them
> and flick lit Marlboros at them. Ten points for a face hit!
>
> Walk or drive a car, I don't care but GTF out of my way!- Hide quoted text -

Won't you give room to a fellow cyclist who fears for his life? And
why don't you ride a bike on the sidewalk too?

Driving can never be a solution and instead you should encourage me to
walk.

Harry Brogan

Mar 16, 2011, 5:40:58 AM3/16/11
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:17:11 -0700 (PDT), "His Highness the
TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign"
<nolionn...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Next time you get that errant pedestrian the can't ((or is ignoring))
the bell you are ringing try this...

http://www.deltacycle.com/Airzound-Bike-Horn

THAT will probably get their attention.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 16, 2011, 8:33:20 AM3/16/11
On Mar 16, 5:40 am, Harry Brogan <hbroga...@NOSPAMyahooNOSPAM.com>
wrote:

Hey, cars have done it to me, so why not? Yesterday, as I was riding
the sidewalk, this loud roaring motor was coming from the back and I
was wondering what it was. It was a sharp 1980's Caprice in gang
style, going fast and zigzagging around cars.

If I had been on the sidewalk I'd have been paralyzed. Those roaring
motors are really terrorizing. Actually I think ear plugs of some kind
may help.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 16, 2011, 8:39:27 AM3/16/11
On Mar 16, 2:47 am, "Sharx335" <sharx...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Motorists own the roads. Pedestrians own the sidewalks. Cyclists
> own the garbage dumps. You have a problem with that?

Yes! Motorists are trashing the planet, and pedestrians are too-slow
moving and too few to be any significant solution.

But it's only to be expected in a dumb system ruled by dumb people.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 16, 2011, 8:54:07 AM3/16/11
Let me be honest and say that there's a certain political issue with
this: Those walking sidewalks are mostly elderly people who vote for
the status quo and ignore the bike as a solution, so they must be
ready to face what comes at them. And some of those sidewalk riders
really go fast!

I have come with a new term to describe some cyclists out there --
sometimes myself-- who populate our asphalt jungle... "pedecyclist."
This is someone who rides on sidewalks when he can, and then walks
when there's danger to others.

A "predecyclist," on the other hand, is a predatory cyclist riding
without regard to others.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 16, 2011, 5:47:27 PM3/16/11
On Mar 16, 5:26 pm, dr_jeff <u...@msu.edu> wrote:
> On 3/16/11 8:55 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, aka Comandante

> Banana wrote:
> > Let me be honest and say that there's a certain political issue with
> > this: Those walking sidewalks are mostly elderly people who vote for
> > the status quo and ignore the bike as a solution, so they must be
> > ready to face what comes at them. And some of those sidewalk riders
> > really go fast!
>
> So what? The elderly don't walk fast. Not a surprise. Kids, who tend to
> be distracted, and other distracted people, like adults with kids,
> adults on the phone, and adults who have medical problems who move
> slowly use the sidewalk. The side walk is not intended as a high-speed lane.
>
> The side walk is called a "side walk" because people are supposed to
> *WALK* on it.

> > I have come with a new term to describe some cyclists out there --
> > sometimes myself-- who populate our asphalt jungle... "pedecyclist."
> > This is someone who rides on sidewalks when he can, and then walks
> > when there's danger to others.
>
> > A "predecyclist," on the other hand, is a predatory cyclist riding
> > without regard to others.
>
> A pedecyclist is sill riding illegally and dangerously when he is riding
> on the sidewalk. PERIOD.

How dumb can they be not to vote for the candidate that promises bike
facilities? Well, the candidates "feed" the issues where they can win,
so you'll never find stuff like that in their political parlance. They
talk about taxes, the defects of the opponents, and how important is
to keep the "family values"...

They never give you deep stuff like this:

"A cyclist on the road doesn't mean he doesn't have money to buy a
car. It doesn't mean he has a toy. He's showing the way to save the
planet and thus humanity. The planet will always be around but our
habits are rather suicidal"

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 17, 2011, 9:12:33 AM3/17/11
On Mar 16, 11:54 pm, Conscience <obama...@fraud.gov> wrote:

> On 2011-03-16 20:37:52 -0700, Foxtrot <foxt...@null.com> said:
>

> > "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, aka Comandante Banana"
> > <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Won't you give room to a fellow cyclist who fears for his life? And
> >> why don't you ride a bike on the sidewalk too?
>
> >> Driving can never be a solution and instead you should encourage me to
> >> walk.
>
> > Huh? That made no sense, Hippie Highness.
>
> > When I rode a bike as a boy, there were no bike lanes and we weren't
> > allowed on the sidewalks. We had to fear for our dear lives as we
> > got the hell out of the way of speeding cars and trucks.
>
> > Today's cyclists deserve no better. Spoiled brats.
>
> I think the troll ought to stop using any product, including food,
> that's been delivered with an internal combustion engine.
>
> Until then, he's just another elitist, left-wing, jobless hypocrite.

I'm not a radical. I'm all for PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY though.

I thought doing your individual contribution was being part of an
honest solution.

Nobody will save your ass for you, and those who do are terrorized.
You really got a sick mind.

Sofa Slug

Mar 19, 2011, 3:52:34 PM3/19/11
On 3/16/2011 2:40 AM, Harry Brogan wrote:
> Next time you get that errant pedestrian the can't ((or is ignoring))
> the bell you are ringing try this...
>
> http://www.deltacycle.com/Airzound-Bike-Horn
>
> THAT will probably get their attention.

I love this line from one of the Airzound reviews on that site:
"The model 2 is literally on par with the quality of Happy Meal toys."

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 20, 2011, 9:20:57 AM3/20/11
On Mar 20, 3:45 am, Foxtrot <foxt...@null.com> wrote:

> How do you carry bags of groceries
> home on your bike?

Panniers or trailer.

> How do you take your family on vacations?

Rent a car, and keep the change. The bike will give you good looks and
flatten that belly. You really don't need to drive everywhere.

> You said people driving cars are brats. Do you realize you're
> insulting nearly all Americans?

Yes! They are driven by advertising and fear of cycling.

In your world there's only black and white? How about having a car for
longer distances and a bike to do errands in your community?