Tracfone-adding service days?

Steve.IA

Jan 20, 2009, 6:37:23 AM1/20/09
I've read here (I think) that one can add service days to a Tracfone
without purchasing more airtime minutes. I've searched the tracfone site
and googled for an answer but can't find a way.
If you know how this can be done, your help will be appreciated.
Thank you for sharing.

Steve

--
"I know that there are people in this world
who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that."

Dennis

Jan 20, 2009, 5:53:24 PM1/20/09
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:37:23 +0000 (UTC), "Steve.IA"
<saha...@invalid.com> wrote:

>I've read here (I think) that one can add service days to a Tracfone
>without purchasing more airtime minutes. I've searched the tracfone site
>and googled for an answer but can't find a way.
>If you know how this can be done, your help will be appreciated.
>Thank you for sharing.

They call it the "Tracfone Service Protection Plan". Search for it
from their homepage (or use the sitemap link at the bottom).

You have to enroll for automatic monthly payment (I use a credit
card). US$5 per month adds 1 month of service to your phone with no
added minutes. US$60/year.

The next cheapest alternative is to buy a 60-minute airtime card for
US$20 and extend the service time to 1 year for another US$50. A
total of US$70/year.

Works as advertised for me.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave,
dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. -George Carlin

Steve.IA

Jan 21, 2009, 6:28:32 AM1/21/09
Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:37:23 +0000 (UTC), "Steve.IA"
> <saha...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>I've read here (I think) that one can add service days to a Tracfone
>>without purchasing more airtime minutes. I've searched the tracfone
>>site and googled for an answer but can't find a way.
>>If you know how this can be done, your help will be appreciated.
>>Thank you for sharing.
>
> They call it the "Tracfone Service Protection Plan". Search for it
> from their homepage (or use the sitemap link at the bottom).
>
> You have to enroll for automatic monthly payment (I use a credit
> card). US$5 per month adds 1 month of service to your phone with no
> added minutes. US$60/year.
>
> The next cheapest alternative is to buy a 60-minute airtime card for
> US$20 and extend the service time to 1 year for another US$50. A
> total of US$70/year.
>
> Works as advertised for me.
>
> Dennis (evil)

Thanks, Dennis, I found it. The 'service protection' name was a little
obtuse for me to comprehend. Sounded like an extended warranty of some
kind.
They've raised the price to $6/month, so it makes it slightly cheaper to
buy the 60 card and extend for a year. Don't have to commit to auto
payments that way.
Thanks for your help.

Steve IA

SMS

Jan 21, 2009, 9:58:30 AM1/21/09
Dennis wrote:

> The next cheapest alternative is to buy a 60-minute airtime card for
> US$20 and extend the service time to 1 year for another US$50. A
> total of US$70/year.

They now charge $5.99/month for the no-minutes protection, so you're
better off with t he $20+$50. If you already had the lower cost
protection then you keep that lower rate.

Tracfone is now included in the tables at
"http://prepaiduswireless.com/" though it's just to show people how
expensive it is compared to many of the other prepaid plans, both in the
minimum monthly cost and the per-minute cost.

SMS

Jan 21, 2009, 10:33:31 AM1/21/09
Steve.IA wrote:

> Thanks, Dennis, I found it. The 'service protection' name was a little
> obtuse for me to comprehend. Sounded like an extended warranty of some
> kind.
> They've raised the price to $6/month, so it makes it slightly cheaper to
> buy the 60 card and extend for a year. Don't have to commit to auto
> payments that way.

Remember that the $5.99/month is only charged in months when your
service would otherwise expire. So if you had added an airtime card
which would prevent expiration, you don't get charged the $5.99. I think
they intended it only as last-resort protection, not as something many
people would be paying every month.

The best option for you would be to port your phone number to PagePlus,
then buy a $10 card (for $9.24) every four months, which would bring the
maintenance cost down to $2.31/month. But you have to remember to buy
that $10 card every 4 months.

What I did for my kids is to buy them an $80/1400 minute card (for $73),
then I add a $10/83 minute card (for $9.24), every four months. The per
minute rate is also much cheaper than Tracfone (around 5.4ï½¢).

See "http://prepaiduswireless.com/".

Dennis

Jan 21, 2009, 4:24:25 PM1/21/09
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 06:58:30 -0800, SMS <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote:

>Dennis wrote:
>
>> The next cheapest alternative is to buy a 60-minute airtime card for
>> US$20 and extend the service time to 1 year for another US$50. A
>> total of US$70/year.
>
>They now charge $5.99/month for the no-minutes protection, so you're
>better off with t he $20+$50. If you already had the lower cost
>protection then you keep that lower rate.

Hmm, I see you're right --, new subcribers now pay US$6/month.
Fortunately (for me), they are grandfathering existing subcribers at
the US$5/month rate, at least for now. I'll have to keep an eye on my
bill so I don't get caught by an unexpected increase at some point.

Dennis (evil)
--
The honest man is the one who realizes that he cannot
consume more, in his lifetime, than he produces.

freightf...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2014, 10:43:43 PM12/14/14
Add 30 minute card. 9.99, then 49.99 for the extra year. With taxes and fees it's 65.00 exactly. 5.42 a month. For REAL cheapskates like m who ONLY use the phone for emergencies.

terrable

Dec 15, 2014, 5:40:38 PM12/15/14

<freightf...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:37:23 AM UTC-5, Steve.IA wrote:
>> I've read here (I think) that one can add service days to a Tracfone
>> without purchasing more airtime minutes. I've searched the tracfone site
>> and googled for an answer but can't find a way.
>> If you know how this can be done, your help will be appreciated.
>> Thank you for sharing.
>>

> Add 30 minute card. 9.99, then 49.99 for the extra year. With taxes and
> fees it's 65.00 exactly. 5.42 a month. For REAL cheapskates like m who
> ONLY use the phone for emergencies.

You are not one of the "REAL cheapskates".

Real cheap is pageplus: $10 every 120 days or $2.50 a month.

The Real Bev

Dec 16, 2014, 2:45:03 AM12/16/14
HAH! T-Mobile prepaid for $10/YEAR once you've bought $100 worth of
time. Unfortunately I don't think they're offering that any more. I'll
keep pageplus in mind just in case...

--
Cheers, Bev
"On the other hand, I live in California so I'd be willing to

klei...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2017, 6:54:47 PM3/27/17
How to Buy service days for alcatel tracphone

klei...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2017, 3:25:20 PM4/12/17
Buy service days

drpepper888

Jul 12, 2017, 4:27:29 PM7/12/17
Actually, there is a cheaper way than has been explained. Shop on the tracfone site and go to airtime basic service plans. Put the cheapest plan in your cart (though it should not matter which one you put in). They will then give you an option for buying a full year of time for $49.95. Delete the first plan you put in the cart!!! The full year for $49.95 will stay in the cart! Buy it. That is what I did today. I had over 3,000 minutes on my cell phone which I only have for emergencies and leave it in my car. I did not need any more time. I only paid $49.95 + tax and got another full year. You do not have to buy more minutes!

Dennis

Jul 13, 2017, 2:40:38 PM7/13/17
On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 13:27:24 -0700 (PDT), drpepper888
<123ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Actually, there is a cheaper way than has been explained. Shop on the tracfone site and go to airtime basic service plans. Put the cheapest plan in your cart (though it should not matter which one you put in). They will then give you an option for buying a full year of time for $49.95. Delete the first plan you put in the cart!!! The full year for $49.95 will stay in the cart! Buy it. That is what I did today. I had over 3,000 minutes on my cell phone which I only have for emergencies and leave it in my car. I did not need any more time. I only paid $49.95 + tax and got another full year. You do not have to buy more minutes!

Interesting, thanks for the tip.

Dennis (evil)
--
My output is down, my income is up, I take a short position on the long bond and
my revenue stream has its own cash flow. -George Carlin

ItsJoan NotJoann

Jul 13, 2017, 4:12:51 PM7/13/17
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 3:27:29 PM UTC-5, drpepper888 wrote:

> Actually, there is a cheaper way than has been explained. Shop on the tracfone site and go to airtime basic service plans. Put the cheapest plan in your cart (though it should not matter which one you put in). They will then give you an option for buying a full year of time for $49.95. Delete the first plan you put in the cart!!! The full year for $49.95 will stay in the cart! Buy it. That is what I did today. I had over 3,000 minutes on my cell phone which I only have for emergencies and leave it in my car. I did not need any more time. I only paid $49.95 + tax and got another full year. You do not have to buy more minutes!

That's an excellent tip! I've been on their maintenance plan now
for several years at $6.64 per month but the $49.95 yearly plan is
a MUCH better deal. Thanks!

The Real Bev

Jul 13, 2017, 4:36:50 PM7/13/17
On 07/13/2017 01:12 PM, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 3:27:29 PM UTC-5, drpepper888 wrote:
>>
>> Actually, there is a cheaper way than has been explained. Shop
>> on the tracfone site and go to airtime basic service plans. Put
>> the cheapest plan in your cart (though it should not matter which
>> one you put in). They will then give you an option for buying a
>> full year of time for $49.95. Delete the first plan you put in
>> the cart!!! The full year for $49.95 will stay in the cart! Buy
>> it. That is what I did today. I had over 3,000 minutes on my
>> cell phone which I only have for emergencies and leave it in my
>> car. I did not need any more time. I only paid $49.95 + tax
>> and got another full year. You do not have to buy more minutes!

I got up to the billing info page without seeing that. I hesitate to
provide such info unless I actually want to buy...

> That's an excellent tip! I've been on their maintenance plan now for
> several years at $6.64 per month but the $49.95 yearly plan is a MUCH
> better deal. Thanks!

Are you happy with coverage, data speed, etc.?

--
Cheers, Bev
It's 95% of the lawyers making the other 5% look bad.

ItsJoan NotJoann

Jul 13, 2017, 5:21:45 PM7/13/17
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 3:36:50 PM UTC-5, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 07/13/2017 01:12 PM, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
>
> I got up to the billing info page without seeing that. I hesitate to
> provide such info unless I actually want to buy...

I did add my phone number just to see what they would offer me after
choosing the $19.99 plan. Then it took me to the $49.95 yearly plan
after that I just X'd out of the site.

> > That's an excellent tip! I've been on their maintenance plan now for
> > several years at $6.64 per month but the $49.95 yearly plan is a MUCH
> > better deal. Thanks!
>
> Are you happy with coverage, data speed, etc.?
>
> Cheers, Bev

I'm like drpepper, I use mine for emergencies only or the rare
occasion that I do have to call someone or need long distance
service as I don't have that service on my home phone. I've
had my phone for several years and just kept accumulating
minutes as I was buying a 60 minute card each month just to
keep service active. On average my phone is turned on twice
a month so I'm no help with data speed. Sorry.

The Real Bev

Jul 13, 2017, 6:02:51 PM7/13/17
On 07/13/2017 02:21 PM, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
> On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 3:36:50 PM UTC-5, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> On 07/13/2017 01:12 PM, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
>>
>> I got up to the billing info page without seeing that. I hesitate to
>> provide such info unless I actually want to buy...
>>
> I did add my phone number just to see what they would offer me after
> choosing the $19.99 plan. Then it took me to the $49.95 yearly plan
> after that I just X'd out of the site.

It recognized neither my home nor cellphone number. I wonder if
T-Mobile cheap-O prepaid doesn't count.

Going in a different way, I got to the billing page as before :-( Got
brave and fed in semi-real information, but the $49.95 plan didn't show
up -- just the plan I chose plus a couple of bucks for shipping :-(

>> > That's an excellent tip! I've been on their maintenance plan now for
>> > several years at $6.64 per month but the $49.95 yearly plan is a MUCH
>> > better deal. Thanks!
>>
>> Are you happy with coverage, data speed, etc.?
>>
>> Cheers, Bev
>>
> I'm like drpepper, I use mine for emergencies only or the rare
> occasion that I do have to call someone or need long distance
> service as I don't have that service on my home phone. I've
> had my phone for several years and just kept accumulating
> minutes as I was buying a 60 minute card each month just to
> keep service active. On average my phone is turned on twice
> a month so I'm no help with data speed. Sorry.

--
Cheers, Bev
I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people, I'm just
saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem
sort itself out.

ItsJoan NotJoann

Jul 14, 2017, 12:43:06 PM7/14/17
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 5:02:51 PM UTC-

> It recognized neither my home nor cellphone number. I wonder if
> T-Mobile cheap-O prepaid doesn't count.

I don't know as I've never used T-Mobile.

> Going in a different way, I got to the billing page as before :-( Got
> brave and fed in semi-real information, but the $49.95 plan didn't show
> up -- just the plan I chose plus a couple of bucks for shipping :-(

I found the tab at the bottom of the home page and clicked it on:

SHOP

Then clicked on 'Airtime Service Plans' (scroll down to find this)

Entered my phone number on the page that came up

Clicked "buy" on $9.99/30 minute card which took
me to the $49.99 one year option page.

Then I just X'd out.

Dennis

Jul 16, 2017, 7:43:12 PM7/16/17
On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 15:02:46 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 07/13/2017 02:21 PM, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
>> On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 3:36:50 PM UTC-5, The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>>> On 07/13/2017 01:12 PM, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
>>>
>>> I got up to the billing info page without seeing that. I hesitate to
>>> provide such info unless I actually want to buy...
>>>
>> I did add my phone number just to see what they would offer me after
>> choosing the $19.99 plan. Then it took me to the $49.95 yearly plan
>> after that I just X'd out of the site.
>
>It recognized neither my home nor cellphone number. I wonder if
>T-Mobile cheap-O prepaid doesn't count.

You may need a real Tracfone number before they show you the deal. I
dunno, it worked for me using my wife's Tracfone number.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

The Real Bev

Jul 17, 2017, 2:18:03 AM7/17/17
But I said I wasn't a customer. Surely they wouldn't expect me to have
a Tracfone number.

--
Cheers, Bev
This is Usenet. We *are* the trained body for dealing

Dennis

Jul 18, 2017, 4:06:17 PM7/18/17
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 23:17:58 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 07/16/2017 04:43 PM, Dennis wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 15:02:46 -0700, The Real Bev
>> <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>It recognized neither my home nor cellphone number. I wonder if
>>>T-Mobile cheap-O prepaid doesn't count.
>>
>> You may need a real Tracfone number before they show you the deal. I
>> dunno, it worked for me using my wife's Tracfone number.
>
>But I said I wasn't a customer. Surely they wouldn't expect me to have
>a Tracfone number.

I just tried it going in the Not A Customer route and giving a
valid-but-not-a-tracfone number. No dice: only minutes cards were
shown and no 365 day service extension offers.

I think the extra service time is purchased online and sent to your
tracfone wirelessly, whereas the minutes increments can be added
online/wirelessly or by buying a physical minutes card and entering
the pin on the keypad.

Maybe you should complain to Carlos. :-)

laurenhe...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2017, 2:51:12 PM8/4/17
I just did this and i worked perfectly! Thank you for the tip!!!! :)

ItsJoan NotJoann

Aug 4, 2017, 9:28:46 PM8/4/17
On Friday, August 4, 2017 at 1:51:12 PM UTC-5, laurenhe...@gmail.com wrote:

> I just did this and i worked perfectly! Thank you for the tip!!!! :)

Thanks for the report back to let us know it works!!

Message has been deleted

one...@aol.com

Sep 2, 2017, 12:16:19 PM9/2/17
Worked great for me..Total was just $52.99 for one year service (no minutes)..Thank You !!!

katm...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2017, 11:52:09 PM10/6/17
Thanks for the tip of just deleting the minutes at the purchase page. I did not need minutes, but airtime only, and was able to purchase the year of service for $49.99 only. Sweet!

sbl...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2017, 10:45:53 AM11/3/17
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 4:27:29 PM UTC-4, drpepper888 wrote:
Wow, that worked great, thanks for that!

eabus...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2018, 9:01:32 AM2/2/18

marg...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2018, 10:20:45 AM3/16/18

elgi...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2018, 6:39:52 PM3/20/18
On Tuesday, January 20, 2009 at 6:37:23 AM UTC-5, Steve.IA wrote:
> I've read here (I think) that one can add service days to a Tracfone
> without purchasing more airtime minutes. I've searched the tracfone site
> and googled for an answer but can't find a way.
> If you know how this can be done, your help will be appreciated.
> Thank you for sharing.
>
> Steve
>
> i did it once a few years ago but then they quit it , i have over 4000 min.
len

RGR...@yahoo.com

Jun 19, 2018, 8:23:52 PM6/19/18
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 4:27:29 PM UTC-4, drpepper888 wrote:
Just did it. Works great, thanks.

pma...@charter.net

Jul 6, 2018, 8:34:15 PM7/6/18
On Tuesday, January 20, 2009 at 6:37:23 AM UTC-5, Steve.IA wrote:
> I've read here (I think) that one can add service days to a Tracfone
> without purchasing more airtime minutes. I've searched the tracfone site
> and googled for an answer but can't find a way.
> If you know how this can be done, your help will be appreciated.
> Thank you for sharing.
>
> Steve
> I have service time to 2032 why and am I paying for time ahead? I am 70 and I don't know if I will be around 5 years form now not 2032.

edward1...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2018, 9:29:11 AM7/7/18
Good day, I can help you get 2 year service days only for $60.00
My email is edward1...@gmail.com
Message has been deleted

russellw...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2018, 2:01:32 PM9/13/18
On Saturday, July 7, 2018 at 7:29:11 AM UTC-6, edward1...@gmail.com wrote:
> Good day, I can help you get 2 year service days only for $60.00
> My email is edward1...@gmail.com

Hello,
I need to add days of service to my account soon. How can I take advantage of your recommendation?
Thank You,
russellw...@gmail.com

ItsJoan NotJoann

Sep 13, 2018, 6:38:33 PM9/13/18
On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 1:01:32 PM UTC-5, russellw...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hello,
> I need to add days of service to my account soon. How can I take advantage of your recommendation?
> Thank You,
> russellw...@gmail.com

Did you read ALL the comments to see how to add days of service?

mralla...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2018, 6:17:25 PM10/2/18
On Tuesday, January 20, 2009 at 6:37:23 AM UTC-5, Steve.IA wrote:
> I've read here (I think) that one can add service days to a Tracfone
> without purchasing more airtime minutes. I've searched the tracfone site
> and googled for an answer but can't find a way.
> If you know how this can be done, your help will be appreciated.
> Thank you for sharing.
>
> Steve
>

> --
> "I know that there are people in this world
> who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that."
> - Tom Lehrer

Thank you Steve for your answer.

sherr...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2019, 2:56:42 PM12/7/19
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 1:27:29 PM UTC-7, drpepper888 wrote:
> Actually, there is a cheaper way than has been explained. Shop on the tracfone site and go to airtime basic service plans. Put the cheapest plan in your cart (though it should not matter which one you put in). They will then give you an option for buying a full year of time for $49.95. Delete the first plan you put in the cart!!! The full year for $49.95 will stay in the cart! Buy it. That is what I did today. I had over 3,000 minutes on my cell phone which I only have for emergencies and leave it in my car. I did not need any more time. I only paid $49.95 + tax and got another full year. You do not have to buy more minutes!

Thank you. I found that late last night (older thread I know) December 6 2019 but wanted to check with "tracfone" customer service in some foreign land to make sure. Am and the site had logged me out. I searched all over to try to find it again and did not until I came upon your post.

That is exactly what I had done but forgotten after searching plans for 1/2 a day!!! It only shows up after one makes a purchase. I need more minutes so added a plan and will add the $49 service day extension. If need be I can add more minutes at a later date.

Bravo to you!

ItsJoan NotJoann

Dec 7, 2019, 5:13:41 PM12/7/19
Back in September I used the $49 service day extension but needed no minutes.
It's a great deal!!

sherr...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2019, 7:35:49 PM12/7/19
It's "funny" how tracfone does not present this information up front!!! Here is some little known information about the company (I used to live in NYC and research companies for a legal firm). For anyone who is on Safelinks or formerly called "lifeline" tracfone creates this platform.

I once was cut off by tracfone - said never heard of me. (I keep copious paper trail records).

Who knew???

Turns out Carlos Slim is owner (or part owner of this company). He was fined 40 Million for fraudulent practices. I had to work with my state representatives to have my service restored (took weeks of research). This is not readily available information.

Here is a quote as to his practices.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/carlos-slims-tracfone-under-fire-in-california

We've taken it upon ourselves basically to do work in the states to educate the public about who Carlos Slim is, and specifically to tell them about what we perceive to be his monopolistic and predatory business practices as we see them develop over time in Mexico and throughout Latin America.

Search Carlos Slim - tracfone - much will come up.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-xpm-2012-dec-27-la-fi-cellphone-fees-slim-20121228-story.html

kend...@outlook.com

Feb 1, 2020, 12:18:39 PM2/1/20
I just want to take my texts and pictures off. The expert tells me I need a court order. I haven't found a hacker yet to do it.

> "I know that there are people in this world
> who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that."
> - Tom Lehrer

antimony arsenic aluminum selenium

Nils