Don't flush for "number one"?

Bill

Sep 12, 2010, 8:45:07 PM9/12/10
I got to thinking how much water we use by flushing the toilet each time we
go "number one"...

The internet says we typically go "number one" 7 to 13 times a day...

A newer water saving toilet uses 1.6 gallons of water per flush (gpf).

At 10 flushes per day, that would be 16 gallons a day.

Or 300 flushes per month, and 480 gallons per month.

My water is billed by each 100 cubic foot of water used. 100 cubic feet of
water is 748 gallons.

So one person not flushing for "number one" would save about 2/3 of 100
cubic ft. of water (or 480 gallons) per month.

Forrest Hodge

Sep 12, 2010, 9:20:02 PM9/12/10
And how much is that worth exactly? A buck or two?

The Henchman

Sep 12, 2010, 9:53:19 PM9/12/10

"Forrest Hodge" <fo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

In my town it would be $3.11

But I bet I'd waste that $3.11 in cleaners to clean the scale that'll
develop when all that piss scales up the bowl

Bob F

Sep 12, 2010, 10:32:28 PM9/12/10

I gets "ripe" pretty quickly.

Message has been deleted

Bill

Sep 12, 2010, 11:12:31 PM9/12/10
"Forrest Hodge" wrote in message

That works out to about $72 a year in my case because that is city water
only. Other people in my area would save more because they would also be
reducing their sewer fee with lower water usage.

VFW

Sep 13, 2010, 12:53:32 AM9/13/10
In article <4rWdnXds9pEZCRDR...@earthlink.com>,
Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote:

> "The Henchman" <y...@yup.org> wrote:
>
> >But I bet I'd waste that $3.11 in cleaners to clean the scale that'll
> >develop when all that piss scales up the bowl

> In addition to the gigantic savings, one gets to _smell_ it!

I do a 1/2 flush. and they even make toilets that have the option of a
#1 flush. Save water!
they say someday there may be wars over water.
Can't live w/o it.
IMHO
--
Money! What a concept.

Sep 13, 2010, 9:56:54 AM9/13/10

"Bill" <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

But some of us only pay a $50 yearly fee for water (we have septic here, so
no sewer fee) because we don't go over whatever the "minimum usage" is.
There would be no cost savings for us to not always flush, plus we'd have
the extra clean-up and smell of not flushing every time. No thanks.

Bill

Sep 13, 2010, 10:58:25 AM9/13/10

> But some of us only pay a $50 yearly fee for water (we have septic here,
> so no sewer fee) because we don't go over whatever the "minimum usage" is.
> There would be no cost savings for us to not always flush, plus we'd have
> the extra clean-up and smell of not flushing every time. No thanks.

Nice! Of course in that case, flush away!

Vic Smith

Sep 13, 2010, 12:12:53 PM9/13/10

I'm often in my basement shop and keep a wide-top quart container on
the back of the laundry sink. Started doing it when the kids were at
home and too many times when I ran upstairs the only bathroom was
occupied. Just pour it down the sink drain followed by a cup or so of
water.
All my drains go to the same sewer system.
And at least a few times my wife was on the toilet so I pissed in the
bathroom sink. That takes a rinsing.
Still much less water than toilet flushing.
The ladies just won't like doing this.
But if cared that much about saving water that's how I'd do it.
Piss starts stinking pretty quick in the toilet.

BTW, when I was in Navy boot camp we were all pissing in barrels with
thick plastic bag liners for at least a month.
Barrels were maybe 30 gallons.
Some kind of collection program for a drug company working on a cure.
Probably because we all had clean health.
Think it was for hemophilia, but not sure I remember right. 1964.

I do remember I was glad I never got assigned to the detail that tied
up the bags and wheeled the barrels out somewhere.
They were removed mid-morning and already were smelling ripe.

Funny thing about that and selective memory.
I talked to a buddy who went through boot with me in the same company,
and 20 years later he couldn't remember that at all.
Some people forget what's worth forgetting real quick.
Maybe I do too. I wouldn't know, would I?
You only know what you remember.
So if you really care about it, you should take notes.

--Vic

Mrs Irish Mike

Sep 13, 2010, 1:03:06 PM9/13/10

"If it's yellow, let it mellow.
If it's brown, flush it down."

I have an older toilet, one of those that uses alot of water each time
it is flushed. I don't flush every time I pee. I did when I first
moved into the house, but started thinking of ways to lower my water/
sewer bill when they started coming in.

I had a plumber come in to remodel the bathroom. He suggested I keep
the older toilet because it was well made and in good shape. He
explained how the low flush toilets don't properly clean unless they
are flushed multiple times. He even mentioned how some customers were
going to Canada to buy the older models that could not be sold in the
US. I decided to stay with Big Bertha.

I wouldn't allow urine to sit in the bowl all day. I flush after
every third or fourth use and certainly after dookie. I close the lid
when flushing and after nearly every use. I never have noticed a
smell, even after being gone for the entire day. My most ill-mannered
friends have never mentioned a smell either. Maybe because I clean my
bathroom weekly. BTW, bleach is cheap, no need to spend the big bucks
to have a bathroom where one feels good soaking in the bathtub reading
a good book.

Message has been deleted

Sep 13, 2010, 2:06:39 PM9/13/10

"Mrs Irish Mike" <wilm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

On Sep 12, 5:45 pm, "Bill" <billnomailnosp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I had a plumber come in to remodel the bathroom. He suggested I keep
>the older toilet because it was well made and in good shape. He
>explained how the low flush toilets don't properly clean unless they
>are flushed multiple times.

Get a Toto low-flow. I have the Ultimate One-Piece or whatever it's called
now, and it has never once needed more than one flush in the 3 years I've
had it. That's a lot more than I can say for the old water-waster. That
thing used to back up at least 4 times a year. I don't even know where our
plunger is these days. When we build our addition early next year we'll be
putting Toto one-piece toilets in both the new bathrooms.

Sep 13, 2010, 2:10:58 PM9/13/10

"Derald" <der...@invalid.net> wrote in message

>One would hope
> that, in the process, the increasing numbers of non-productive
> parasitic human chaff would be winnowed.

I don't care if the current population is decreased, I just want the
birthrate to drop. Dramatically. Same result, in the long run. If people
would just realize that the world's current population is nearly 7 billion
on a rock which can support perhaps half that, maybe they would decide to be
childfree or have only one. You know, be rational.

hotch

Sep 13, 2010, 4:18:27 PM9/13/10
h wrote:
> "Derald" <der...@invalid.net> wrote in message
>
>> One would hope
>> that, in the process, the increasing numbers of non-productive
>> parasitic human chaff would be winnowed.
>
> I don't care if the current population is decreased, I just want the
> birthrate to drop. Dramatically.

No need in the modern first world, not one first world country
is even self replacing if you take out immigration now.

> Same result, in the long run. If
> people would just realize that the world's current population is
> nearly 7 billion on a rock which can support perhaps half that,

It supports 7B fine. We only see starvation when a particular area
has imploded in the most obscene levels of civil war and civil chaos
not or is stupid enough to let some fool like Kim Jong Il rule the roost.

> maybe they would decide to be childfree or have only one. You know, be rational.

Don't need anything like that in any of the first world now, and most of the second world too.

Coffee's For Closers

Sep 13, 2010, 4:59:14 PM9/13/10
In article <8f5ah2...@mid.individual.net>,
billnoma...@yahoo.com says...

Gosh, I dunno... How do you feel about the smell? In dollar
terms, I mean.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

The Henchman

Sep 13, 2010, 9:28:46 PM9/13/10

> Don't need anything like that in any of the first world now, and most of
> the second world too.

Are you Rod Speed?

Sep 14, 2010, 8:59:00 AM9/14/10

"The Henchman" <y...@yup.org> wrote in message

>> Don't need anything like that in any of the first world now, and most of
>> the second world too.
>>

> Are you Rod Speed?

Sure sounds like it. I killfiled it on spec.

Millhaven

Sep 14, 2010, 12:47:11 PM9/14/10

Mrs Irish Mike

Sep 14, 2010, 2:19:51 PM9/14/10
On Sep 13, 1:59 pm, Coffee's For Closers <Usenet2...@THE-DOMAIN-
IN.SIG> wrote:
> In article <8f5ah2F9j...@mid.individual.net>,

> > So one person not flushing for "number one" would save about 2/3 of 100
> > cubic ft. of water (or 480 gallons) per month.
>
> Gosh, I dunno... How do you feel about the smell?  In dollar
> terms, I mean.

Speaking of dollar terms, I went to a museum home and they had a
bedroom where George Washington used to sleep. George Washington in
addition to being the guy on the US one dollar bill, was a founding
father ("Father of Our Country"). His bedroom had a pot to piss in
that was emptied hours later in the morning. Imagine being in the same
room with standing pee?

Matter of fact, the White House didn't get indoor plumbing until
1902. That means for 125 years presidents and visiting dignitaries had
to piss in a pot and crap in a commode. During cold winter nights the
waste from a person (two if it was a couple) would be in the same room
as the sleeping VIP, covered by a lid or a cloth. They would have been
happy to have a toilet that was in another room, that could be emptied
occasionally by the pull of a handle.

Fast forward to today. Grown men crying because someone didn't waste
gallons of water with the results being some urine (which should be
sterile) is left in a bowl meant for just that, and said bowl is in
another room in another part of the house. Weak.

Another aside, how many here close the lid when flushing? When the
toilet is flushed it mixes water and air that becomes a mist or
aerosol that spreads contaminated water. Those tiny droplets of water
mixed with urine and feces is free to float and land on your
toothbrush or water glass or a bar of soap or on the doorknob. Closing
the lid greatly reduces the spread of aerosol.