Re: Costco Sleep Cell sleeping bag: Did I buy too big?

Message has been deleted

Jeff Thies

Apr 8, 2010, 3:16:33 PM4/8/10
m...@privacy.net wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> I have never owned a sleeping bag but wanted a decent
> one for car camping..... NOT backpacking (least not
> yet).
>
> I bought a Sleep Cell bag from Costco in size XL.....
> dims are 40 inches wide x 90 inches long.

I had no idea bags came 90" long. There's a good bit online about Sleep
Cell, new to me, you should read up. As far as the size, considering
it's a big big mummy, several inches taller than yourself should suffice.

Try out your jumbo bag (bear in mind getting it back in the wrapper). As
always, YMMV. If you do go backpacking, you'll want a completely
different bag anyways. Toting that around is a haul.

Jeff

> Now I'm wondering if I should get smaller one? Just
> get size "large"?
>
> I am man 50 years old 5' 10" tall and 200 lbs. How
> should one "size" a sleeping bag for me for car
> camping?
>
> I see that large size is something like 34 inch wide 80
> inch long.
>
> Bottom line.... which size is best for me? I want room
> especially width wise but don't want a bunch of
> material and fabric length wise (just more hassle to
> pack)

m...@privacy.net

Apr 8, 2010, 4:14:09 PM4/8/10
Jeff Thies <jeff_...@att.net> wrote:

>I had no idea bags came 90" long. There's a good bit online about Sleep
>Cell, new to me, you should read up. As far as the size, considering
>it's a big big mummy, several inches taller than yourself should suffice.

Yeah Sleep Cell seems to be a low cost brand but the
bag itself seems well enough made especially for what I
want to do with it which is car and RV camping, staying
at friends house etc. It only cost $30 at Costco!

I decided it would be best for me to get a low cost bag
for that purpose and if I do start backpacking or
something get a separate higher quality bag for that.

I'm sure a bag 80 inches long (and not 90 inches like
current one) would work fine.... but the shorter bags
also have smaller widths.... almost 6 inches
smaller..... and I do need the width!

>Try out your jumbo bag (bear in mind getting it back in the wrapper). As
>always, YMMV. If you do go backpacking, you'll want a completely
>different bag anyways. Toting that around is a haul.

Costco is very good abt taking anything back... no
problem there!

Rod Speed

Apr 9, 2010, 6:04:15 AM4/9/10
m...@privacy.net wrote:

> Hi all...

All hanged himself, got too many posts.

> I have never owned a sleeping bag but wanted a decent
> one for car camping..... NOT backpacking (least not yet).

> I bought a Sleep Cell bag from Costco in size XL.....
> dims are 40 inches wide x 90 inches long.

> Now I'm wondering if I should get smaller one?

> Just get size "large"?

> I am man 50 years old 5' 10" tall and 200 lbs. How
> should one "size" a sleeping bag for me for car camping?

If its comfortable to sleep in, its big enough.

> I see that large size is something like 34 inch wide

Thats likely a bit small for someone as fat as you.

> 80 inch long.

> Bottom line.... which size is best for me?

What you can fit into comfortably.

> I want room especially width wise but don't want a bunch of
> material and fabric length wise (just more hassle to pack)

The difference between those two isnt that great.