Frugal Potassium Iodide?

Darkfalz

Mar 16, 2011, 4:56:34 AM3/16/11
Is frugal Potassium Iodide available anywhere in light of the Japanese
meltdown?

Jeff Thies

Mar 16, 2011, 7:20:54 AM3/16/11
On 3/16/2011 4:56 AM, Darkfalz wrote:
> Is frugal Potassium Iodide available anywhere in light of the Japanese
> meltdown?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_iodide
A natural source is Kelp. Otherwise widely available in "Vitamin" shops.

Don't loosen a wingnut though. You should only take this if you are
exposed and should only take as directed, it has side effects.

You live in Japan? Or are you just becoming unhinged?

Jeff

Michael Black

Mar 16, 2011, 9:31:21 AM3/16/11
On Wed, 16 Mar 2011, Darkfalz wrote:

> Is frugal Potassium Iodide available anywhere in light of the Japanese
> meltdown?

It's not frugal if you don't understand before doing something.

If you weren't worried last month about nuclear radiation, then there's
nothing to worry about now.

Even if you lived on the west coast, there's a lot of Pacific ocean
between Japan and there, so any released radiation has an awful long
time and space to dissipate.

Even if something does arrive at the west coast, you'll have actual
wearning.

Wasting money on pills because you can't understand things is not
frugal.

Besides, the same news report that got you all hyped up about
wanting to buy pills should warn you that there is a scarcity,
perhaps because of real potential problems in Japan (and adjacent
countries, China isn't that far from island Japan). But also, that
news report should have told you there is a scarcity because apparently
the raw material is used in a currently hot electronic item.

Besides all that, if you don't know what the iodine pills are supposed
to do, then forget it. Besides, there are other things to be worrying
about than iodine if radioactive particles get to you.

On the other hand, it's probably a good time to think about whether you
are prepared for an emergency, not because of Japan or because suddenly
you think that nearby reactor is dangerous when you didn't think about
it last month, but because it is frugal to be prepared. Since being
frugal means keeping canned goods in stock, and buying in bulk so chances
are good you already have some emergency supplies, you need to look
at what is missing.

Michael

m...@privacy.net

Mar 16, 2011, 11:22:31 AM3/16/11

>> Is frugal Potassium Iodide available anywhere in light of the Japanese
>> meltdown?

send that money to Japan! not on some stupid pills!!

Karen Silkwood

Mar 16, 2011, 12:47:38 PM3/16/11
In article <6nu0o6d6hl8hovlkm...@4ax.com>,
Darkfalz <darkf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is frugal Potassium Iodide available anywhere in light of the Japanese
> meltdown?

Instead. relax and enjoy some Miso Soup

Anti-Radiation Miso Soup with Kombu
http://planetthrive.com/2011/03/anti-radiation-soup/
--
Karma, What a concept!

Bob F

Mar 16, 2011, 9:24:02 PM3/16/11
Darkfalz wrote:
> Is frugal Potassium Iodide available anywhere in light of the Japanese
> meltdown?

If you don't drink contaminated milk, they won't do you any good at all.

Lou

Mar 17, 2011, 8:57:04 PM3/17/11

"Darkfalz" <darkf...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Is frugal Potassium Iodide available anywhere in light of the Japanese
> meltdown?

In the first place, there hasn't been a "meltdown" as of yet, and there may
never be. In the second place, anyone in the US is so far away from Japan
that even if a meltdown does happen, it doesn't matter as far as radiation
is concerned.

In the third place, until the partial nuclear test ban treaty of 1963, all
the nuclear powers conducted extensive tests of real, honest to goodness
nuclear bombs in the oceans, at the surface of the earth, and in the
atmosphere. The largest such test was a 50 megaton warhead exploded by the
USSR in 1961 - something far larger than the Japanese plants could possibly
produce. The point being that such testing was not followed by a rash of
two headed babies or people glowing in the dark while their hair fell out.

Unless you're near one of the crippled reactors, the frugal approach to
potassium iodide is to leave it on the shelf at the store.

Karen Silkwood

Mar 17, 2011, 9:33:13 PM3/17/11
In article <ilu737$v7j$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Lou" <lpo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hey, it's not on the shelf.
and;
How is "Natural Selection" going to take out these stupid people?
I say let them kill themselves with the stuff.
They are; "The Last to Know " and the first to go when...TSHTF.
IMHO
and today's post;
Oh, God, you are so BIG. So absolutely Huge. I tell you we are all very
impressed with you down Here.

Forgive us for our hopeless toadying and bald faced pandering.
Please.

In my defense , at least I bred no children , who might have wanted
children , who most likely would want children......... ad nauseum.

The world is a better place with fewer people.

John Weiss

Mar 18, 2011, 7:43:40 PM3/18/11
Darkfalz wrote:

> Is frugal Potassium Iodide available anywhere in light of the Japanese
> meltdown?

Yes. Don't buy any.

Mar 23, 2011, 9:11:41 AM3/23/11

"Michael Black" <et...@ncf.ca> wrote in message

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2011, Darkfalz wrote:
>
>> Is frugal Potassium Iodide available anywhere in light of the Japanese
>> meltdown?

Just take kelp pills if you're that worried. Geeze.

Gary Heston

Mar 23, 2011, 8:49:38 PM3/23/11
In article <imcri9$gkh$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
h <tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote:

No, don't just take them Potassium Iodide has its' own health risks.
Only take it when told to by your doctor or a public health official.

Gary

Michael Black

Mar 24, 2011, 12:10:23 AM3/24/11

Of course, I didn't say anything about kelp, the poster you replied to
replied to the original poster via my post, cutting out what I wrote
but leaving the attributes in place:

From et...@ncf.ca Wed Mar 16 09:31:23 2011
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:31:21 -0400
From: Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca>
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
Subject: Re: Frugal Potassium Iodide?

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011, Darkfalz wrote:

> Is frugal Potassium Iodide available anywhere in light of the Japanese
> meltdown?

Mar 24, 2011, 1:18:47 AM3/24/11

"Michael Black" <et...@ncf.ca> wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2011, Gary Heston wrote:
>
>> In article <imcri9$gkh$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
>> h <tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "Michael Black" <et...@ncf.ca> wrote in message

>>> Just take kelp pills if you're that worried. Geeze.
>>
>> No, don't just take them Potassium Iodide has its' own health risks.
>> Only take it when told to by your doctor or a public health official.
>
> Of course, I didn't say anything about kelp, the poster you replied to
> replied to the original poster via my post, cutting out what I wrote
> but leaving the attributes in place:

Umm, I'm only saying that taking kelp IS taking potassium iodide. I/we take
1 kelp pill every other day as part of our regular vitamin intake. Geeze.
All y'all need to do is take a kelp pill. And a CHILL pill, not some "meds"
you think will help you. "Kelp" is EVERY bit as useful as Potassium Iodide
pills, but much cheaper and better for you. doG, "mercans" are paranoid. At
least those of us in NY aren't acting like Chicken Little. All
non-Northeasterners are an embarrassment to the USA.