Divorcing husband demands kidney back from cheating wife (or payment)

leno...@yahoo.com

Jan 8, 2009, 9:00:05 PM1/8/09
I heard about this this morning. Here's most of the AP article:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jvJ5TlgzE010EKMRYOefrIy9xPDAD95IVKRG0

NY man demands estranged wife pay him for kidney
By FRANK ELTMAN – 10 hours ago

GARDEN CITY, N.Y. (AP) — A Long Island surgeon embroiled in a nearly
four-year divorce proceeding wants his estranged wife to return the
kidney he donated to her, although he says he'll settle for $1.5
million in compensation.

Dr. Richard Batista, a surgeon at Nassau University Medical Center,
told reporters at his lawyer's Long Island office Wednesday that he
decided to go public with his demand for kidney compensation because
he has grown frustrated with the negotiations with his estranged wife.

He claimed he has been prevented from seeing their children, ages, 8,
11 and 14, for months at a time.

"This is my last resort; I did not want to do this publicly," Batista
said.

He said he gave his kidney to Dawnell Batista, now 44, in June 2001.
She filed for divorce in July 2005, although he claims she began
having an extramarital affair 18 months to two years after receiving
the kidney transplant, his attorney, Dominick Barbara said.

Douglas Rothkopf, the attorney representing Dawnell Batista, did not
return telephone calls seeking comment.

Matrimonial attorneys were quick to shoot down any possibility Batista
would succeed.

"I've been in this business over 40 years and I've never heard of
that," said Seymour J. Reisman, a Long Island divorce lawyer. "It's
not marital property, not a marital asset you can put a price tag on."

Manhattan attorney Susan Moss said, "The good doctor is out of luck
and out a kidney. This is similar to cases where a husband wants to be
repaid for the cost of breast implants and the such. Our judges are
not willing to value such assets, so to speak............"

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&nolr=1&q=kidney+batista&btnG=Search
(more articles)

I expect this to show up in GlennSacks.com soon, mainly because while
it MAY be safe to say that Batista doesn't really expect any judge to
take him seriously, at least he's willing to go public and risk having
most strangers laugh at him in exchange for a lot of sympathy from
divorced dads - and Sacks tends to admire men like that.

Lenona.

elise d faber

Jan 9, 2009, 7:14:33 AM1/9/09
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 18:00:05 -0800 (PST), leno...@yahoo.com wrote:

>I heard about this this morning. Here's most of the AP article:
>

>http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jvJ5TlgzE010EKMRYOefrIy9x=

>PDAD95IVKRG0
>
>NY man demands estranged wife pay him for kidney

>By FRANK ELTMAN =96 10 hours ago
>
>GARDEN CITY, N.Y. (AP) =97 A Long Island surgeon embroiled in a nearly

>four-year divorce proceeding wants his estranged wife to return the
>kidney he donated to her, although he says he'll settle for $1.5
>million in compensation.

<bigsnip>

>http://news.google.com/news?hl=3Den&ned=3Dus&nolr=3D1&q=3Dkidney+batista&bt=
>nG=3DSearch

> (more articles)
>

>I expect this to show up in GlennSacks.com soon, mainly because while
>it MAY be safe to say that Batista doesn't really expect any judge to
>take him seriously, at least he's willing to go public and risk having
>most strangers laugh at him in exchange for a lot of sympathy from
>divorced dads - and Sacks tends to admire men like that.
>
>Lenona.

if he is claiming that it is still his, can she find out how much it
costs to keep a =klidney waiting for donation and charge him storage
fees?

elise

tmc...@searchmachine.com

Jan 9, 2009, 11:54:32 AM1/9/09
On Jan 9, 7:14 am, ediefa...@yahoo.com (elise d faber) wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 18:00:05 -0800 (PST), lenona...@yahoo.com wrote:
> >I heard about this this morning. Here's most of the AP article:
>
> >http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jvJ5TlgzE010EKMRYOe...

> >PDAD95IVKRG0
>
> >NY man demands estranged wife pay him for kidney
> >By FRANK ELTMAN =96 10 hours ago
>
> >GARDEN CITY, N.Y. (AP) =97 A Long Island surgeon embroiled in a nearly
> >four-year divorce proceeding wants his estranged wife to return the
> >kidney he donated to her, although he says he'll settle for $1.5
> >million in compensation.
>
> <bigsnip>
>
> >http://news.google.com/news?hl=3Den&ned=3Dus&nolr=3D1&q=3Dkidney+bati...

> >nG=3DSearch
> > (more articles)
>
> >I expect this to show up in GlennSacks.com soon, mainly because while
> >it MAY be safe to say that Batista doesn't really expect any judge to
> >take him seriously, at least he's willing to go public and risk having
> >most strangers laugh at him in exchange for a lot of sympathy from
> >divorced dads - and Sacks tends to admire men like that.
>
> >Lenona.
>
> if he is claiming that it is still his, can she find out how much it
> costs to keep a =klidney waiting for donation and charge him storage
> fees?

Human organs have a very short "shelf-life" once they're outside the
body, so I don't think storage fees apply. They put the thing into a
cooler and ship it to the recipient, so I suspect the total cost is
the baggie, the ice, and the cooler. Not exactly big bucks.

leno...@yahoo.com

Jan 14, 2009, 6:37:09 PM1/14/09
On Jan 8, 9:00 pm, lenona...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I expect this to show up in GlennSacks.com soon, mainly because while
> it MAY be safe to say that Batista doesn't really expect any judge to
> take him seriously, at least he's willing to go public and risk having
> most strangers laugh at him in exchange for a lot of sympathy from
> divorced dads - and Sacks tends to admire men like that.

And so it did.

http://glennsacks.com/blog/?p=3185#comments

You have to scroll upwards to see Sacks' article. Sacks discussed the
case on TV, on Fox & Friends.

To read the 73 comments in order, click on "Show all."

Lenona.