getting video from computer to projector

OhioGuy

Jan 6, 2009, 7:49:32 AM1/6/09
I recently bought an Optoma digital projector, and am running into
some issues getting the video out from my computer to my projector.

My computer's motherboard, an Asus M3A-H HDMI, has both standard VGA
out and HDMI out on the motherboard. Presently, I'm using the VGA out
for my 5 month old CRT monitor.

I decided to try using a VGA splitter cable coupled with a VGA
extender cable to get my video from the computer to the projector.
However, this led to slight but noticeable ghosting, as well as a less
colorful image. There was also noticeable distortion on the original
monitor. (to be fair, I did use the cheaper VGA extender cable without
the large cylinder things at both ends)

When disconnecting the monitor and feeding a single VGA line directly
to the digital projector, I get a pretty good image. However, I'd
rather not have to keep connecting and disconnecting things every time I
want to watch something on the projector.

The projector has rear inputs of:

1: VGA
2: S-video
3: RCA (left and right audio plus video)

I'd like to figure out some simple way to get a good picture on it
from the computer, but it appears that the VGA cable route is not ideal
for my situation. It could be if I had a primary monitor that was HDMI.

Anyone have any idea how to get the secondary PC output from HDMI on
over to VGA, S-video or RCA? I noticed that they included an HDMI to
DVI adapter with the motherboard. Too bad no motherboards seem to have
RCA out.

Dave Garland

Jan 6, 2009, 12:01:27 PM1/6/09
OhioGuy wrote:
> I'd like to figure out some simple way to get a good picture on it
> from the computer, but it appears that the VGA cable route is not ideal
> for my situation. It could be if I had a primary monitor that was HDMI.

Why not just throw another cheap PCI video card into the computer, and
use it to feed the projector?

(A better VGA splitter might do the trick too, in my experience
ghosting is often caused by cable problems such as adding an extension
cable.)

Dave

Gary Heston

Jan 6, 2009, 8:58:58 PM1/6/09
In article <gjvk1q$12g7$1...@news.ett.com.ua>, OhioGuy <no...@none.net> wrote:
> I recently bought an Optoma digital projector, and am running into
>some issues getting the video out from my computer to my projector.

> My computer's motherboard, an Asus M3A-H HDMI, has both standard VGA
>out and HDMI out on the motherboard. Presently, I'm using the VGA out
>for my 5 month old CRT monitor.

[ ... ]

Briefly, get an adapter to plug onto your HDMI port that converts to
VGA, and plug your projector into it--assuming both outputs are active
at the same time.

Next best would be someone elses' suggestion about buying a second
video adapter--or finding someone who has an older one that they don't
want any more--and installing it for a dual-head configuration.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man"
General of the Army (four stars) Ann Dunwoody