Another good weekend of cheap finds

Seerialmom

Dec 7, 2008, 10:20:19 AM12/7/08
Yesterday was great! In the local paper they had another $20 off $100
purchase at Raley's (chain in most of Calif.). Figured I'd go early
today while it's quiet; however anything I get must be 1. needed and
2. a better price than I can get elsewhere. Not as easy since they
aren't a discount store. But combining loss leaders and coupons
should work.

The other big score of the day was a Dyson vacuum in perfectly good
working condition I found at the Goodwill for....drumroll please....
$25! Sweet. I tested it there (it had dirt in the canister which I
dumped and revacuumed up). My daughter was often borrowing mine so my
plan as to give this one to her :)

MSfo...@mcpmail.com

Dec 7, 2008, 10:50:20 AM12/7/08

Whatever floats your boat I guess. I don't see the savings. I never
purchased a vacuum in my life. I use a bag-less Bissell and have two
spare Fantoms in the basement. People throw out vacuums all the time
that only need a belt or cleaning. My brother often makes the
statement, "If you don't go to the store, you ain't spending money." I
receive coupons and sale notices all the time. Can I do without? Yes.

Seerialmom

Dec 7, 2008, 2:20:47 PM12/7/08

Sure free would have been better on the Dyson. But considering the
normal retail price and how well they work (in spite of what Consumer
Reports says), it was worth it. I've also resurrected "dead" vacuums
in the past; a Dirt Devil was one of my better finds. And I won't use
one of those coupons unless I had planned on patronizing the store
already :)

Forrest

Dec 8, 2008, 12:03:59 PM12/8/08

"Seerialmom" <seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Every time that I've gone to a Goodwill store, I've only seen junk for a low
price ... anything else, they want as much as it would cost new at K-Mart,
Target or WallMart.

meow...@care2.com

Dec 9, 2008, 11:11:31 AM12/9/08
Seerialmom wrote:

> The other big score of the day was a Dyson vacuum in perfectly good
> working condition I found at the Goodwill for....drumroll please....
> $25! Sweet. I tested it there (it had dirt in the canister which I
> dumped and revacuumed up). My daughter was often borrowing mine so my
> plan as to give this one to her :)

Unfortunately those are too unreliable to ever be frugal, even at that
price.

NT

Dave Garland

Dec 9, 2008, 12:11:12 PM12/9/08
Forrest wrote:
> Every time that I've gone to a Goodwill store, I've only seen junk for a low
> price ... anything else, they want as much as it would cost new at K-Mart,
> Target or WallMart.

Yeah, sometimes the prices are too high. But around here they've got
one day a week (Monday) when all items with a particular color tag are
$1.49. I have purchased (working) laser printers that way. A couple
of the other thrift chains (Savers and Unique) have "old people day"
on Tuesdays, at Savers everything is 40% off then if you're over 55.
Best deal there recently was an Olympus microcassette recorder, new
enough so it still had the advertising stickers on it, marked $1, so
it cost me $0.60. It's not as fancy as my Sony, but the audio is
actually clearer.

Dave

Bob F

Dec 9, 2008, 6:55:49 PM12/9/08

"Forrest" <REMOVETHIS...@gmail.com> wrote in message

It may depend on the pricers at that store, but you also have to consider that
bargains go quick. You have to browse there frequently to get the bargains. The
non-bargains last a long time. If you only go there infrequently, your chances
go down.