Why not a holiday from auto buying?

wis...@yahoo.com

Dec 6, 2008, 2:41:19 PM12/6/08
For the next 6 months, at least, think about refraining from buying a
new vehicle. If yours totally fails buy a used car or truck. (By the
way, a new car is a crummy investment i.e. instant depreciation)
Or have yours repaired. The current cars and trucks can easily run
for 200,000 or more miles. This "holiday" will give us a chance to see
if the Big 3 can make satisfactory progress i.e. restructuring.

ted

Bert Hyman

Dec 6, 2008, 2:54:30 PM12/6/08
In news:s1llj49s56ue4km6f...@4ax.com wis...@yahoo.com
wrote:

> For the next 6 months, at least, think about refraining from buying a
> new vehicle.

Gee... I've managed to do that for the past 7 years.

If I need a car, I'll buy one.

What's your point?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN be...@iphouse.com

Rod Speed

Dec 6, 2008, 3:20:44 PM12/6/08
wis...@yahoo.com wrote:

> For the next 6 months, at least, think about refraining from buying
> a new vehicle. If yours totally fails buy a used car or truck.

Great way to fuck the economy very comprehensively indeed.

> (By the way, a new car is a crummy investment i.e. instant depreciation)

True of anything except houses, stupid.

> Or have yours repaired. The current cars and trucks can easily run
> for 200,000 or more miles. This "holiday" will give us a chance to
> see if the Big 3 can make satisfactory progress i.e. restructuring.

Or flush them down the tubes, cretin.

h...@nospam.com

Dec 6, 2008, 4:20:54 PM12/6/08
On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 07:20:44 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>wis...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> For the next 6 months, at least, think about refraining from buying
>> a new vehicle. If yours totally fails buy a used car or truck.
>
>Great way to fuck the economy very comprehensively indeed.

the economy is pretty much fucked comprehensively anyway.

>> (By the way, a new car is a crummy investment i.e. instant depreciation)
>
>True of anything except houses, stupid.
>
>> Or have yours repaired. The current cars and trucks can easily run
>> for 200,000 or more miles. This "holiday" will give us a chance to
>> see if the Big 3 can make satisfactory progress i.e. restructuring.
>
>Or flush them down the tubes, cretin.

they flushed themselves. For years they've been manufacturing cars no
one wants and did not have the ability to transition to more practical
vehicles.

Rod Speed

Dec 6, 2008, 4:44:34 PM12/6/08
h...@nospam.com wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> wis...@yahoo.com wrote:

>>> For the next 6 months, at least, think about refraining from buying
>>> a new vehicle. If yours totally fails buy a used car or truck.

>> Great way to fuck the economy very comprehensively indeed.

> the economy is pretty much fucked comprehensively anyway.

Mindless pig ignorant silly stuff.

>>> (By the way, a new car is a crummy investment i.e. instant depreciation)

>> True of anything except houses, stupid.

>>> Or have yours repaired. The current cars and trucks can easily run
>>> for 200,000 or more miles. This "holiday" will give us a chance to
>>> see if the Big 3 can make satisfactory progress i.e. restructuring.

>> Or flush them down the tubes, cretin.

> they flushed themselves. For years they've been manufacturing cars no
> one wants and did not have the ability to transition to more practical vehicles.

The real reason they didnt is because of the stupid union demands that saw
their costs much higher than their foreign competition and that ensured that
they couldnt make money on those cars. So they had to try to flog steaming
turds with wheels instead.

Seerialmom

Dec 6, 2008, 6:25:13 PM12/6/08

So you're basically saying all the other car companies should "suffer"
for the mismanagement of the 3 US car manufacturers??? WTH? And most
of us already do what you suggested so it's really a "moot" point.

hp...@lycos.com

Dec 6, 2008, 7:58:31 PM12/6/08

I have a hunch that most of those complaining about your suggestion
are probably lucky
to make 50K a year. Hence, that vehicle is important to their self-
image.

Mitch

Rod Speed

Dec 6, 2008, 8:19:46 PM12/6/08
hp...@lycos.com wrote
> wis...@yahoo.com wrote

>> For the next 6 months, at least, think about refraining from buying
>> a new vehicle. If yours totally fails buy a used car or truck. (By the
>> way, a new car is a crummy investment i.e. instant depreciation)
>> Or have yours repaired. The current cars and trucks can easily run
>> for 200,000 or more miles. This "holiday" will give us a chance to
>> see if the Big 3 can make satisfactory progress i.e. restructuring.

> I have a hunch that most of those complaining about

> your suggestion are probably lucky to make 50K a year.

Guess again.

> Hence, that vehicle is important to their self-image.

Guess again.

wis...@yahoo.com

Dec 6, 2008, 8:43:46 PM12/6/08

O.K. Restrict purchases to Honda, Toyota, Saturn, all made in the USA.
Good products. (I'm not sure if Nissan is made in the states)

ted

(David P.)

Dec 6, 2008, 8:57:29 PM12/6/08
"Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> h...@nospam.com wrote
>
> > Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote

WELL, THAT SHUT _HIM_ UP ! !
.
.

hal...@aol.com

Dec 6, 2008, 10:59:29 PM12/6/08
big 3 saw customers wanted SUVs so they built them, gasoline cost
skyrocketed, fiancials tanked SUV sales dried up. big 3 now on edge of
bankruptcy.

congress should pass a 5 grand tax break for every new american built
vehicle sold in the next 6 months.

this would help get the economy moving again

although were about to be flooded with 4 grand cars from india, and 8
grand cars from china

big 3 will disappear once that happens just like US steel industry
largely closed years ago.

US standard of living must drop a lot for our workers to compete

Rod Speed

Dec 7, 2008, 12:04:10 AM12/7/08
hal...@aol.com wrote:

> big 3 saw customers wanted SUVs so they built them, gasoline cost skyrocketed,
> fiancials tanked SUV sales dried up. big 3 now on edge of bankruptcy.

> congress should pass a 5 grand tax break for every
> new american built vehicle sold in the next 6 months.

Congress aint that stupid.

> this would help get the economy moving again

> although were about to be flooded with 4 grand cars from india, and 8 grand cars from china

Not a chance on that first, you watch.

> big 3 will disappear once that happens just like US steel industry largely closed years ago.

So there is no point in that tax break, stupid.

> US standard of living must drop a lot for our workers to compete

Taint gunna happen, you watch.

zzbunker

Dec 7, 2008, 1:13:41 AM12/7/08
On Dec 6, 3:20 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> wis...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > For the next 6 months, at least, think about refraining from buying
> > a new vehicle. If yours totally fails buy a used car or truck.
>
> Great way to fuck the economy very comprehensively indeed.
>
> > (By the way, a new car is a crummy investment i.e. instant depreciation)
>
> True of anything except houses, stupid.

Houses are such a horrible investment, that's why they even let
people like Congress and New Orleans invest in them. The people
with economic brains still just do robots, cruise missiles, Neo Wind
Energy,
RISC++, non-depreciating Fiber optics loans, and GPS that
doesn't nod and wink at you.

Rod Speed

Dec 7, 2008, 3:59:27 AM12/7/08
zzbunker <zzbu...@netscape.net> wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote
>> wis...@yahoo.com wrote

>>> For the next 6 months, at least, think about refraining from buying
>>> a new vehicle. If yours totally fails buy a used car or truck.

>> Great way to fuck the economy very comprehensively indeed.

>>> (By the way, a new car is a crummy investment i.e. instant depreciation)

>> True of anything except houses, stupid.

> Houses are such a horrible investment,

Thats just plain wrong. Hordes have found that they make a hell of
a lot more sense than pouring the rent money down a rat hole for life.

I cant think of anyone who has had enough of a clue to buy a house thats ever regretted doing that.

> that's why they even let people like Congress and New Orleans invest in them.

>>> Or have yours repaired. The current cars and trucks can easily run

Anonymous Infidel - the anti-political talking head

Dec 7, 2008, 6:09:48 AM12/7/08
> they flushed themselves.  For years they've been manufacturing cars no
> one wants
And yet, 75% of the cars on the road are theirs.

> and did not have the ability to transition to more practical vehicles.
???? It's not like the foreign autos are doing any better. All the car
companies are in the shitter due to the fact that consumer confidence
is dead...Killed by Democrats who bashed our economy into submission
and then gave us Fannie/Freddie.

Seerialmom

Dec 7, 2008, 10:21:59 AM12/7/08
On Dec 6, 5:43 pm, wis...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 15:25:13 -0800 (PST), Seerialmom

Saturn is a "GM" product. Why it's good I have no idea. Why doesn't
GM do the same for it's other products?

terry

Dec 7, 2008, 11:34:54 AM12/7/08
On Dec 6, 10:43 pm, wis...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 15:25:13 -0800 (PST), Seerialmom

Yes our current Nissan (2002 model, about 50,000 miles) was
manufactured stateside. Also our now rotting 1995 Nissan which we are
about to throw away.
Neither are quite as good as our previuos bog standard, fourth hand
when we bought it, very basic 1991 Nissan, which manufactured in Japan
was a better ,simpler, vehicle. It went to nearly 200,000 miles before
rusting in this corrosive Canadian coastal climate where few regularly
used vehicle last more than five to eight years without serious
corrosion problems.
With undercoating hoping to keep the 2002 another few years, to maybe
2012 or beyond?

h...@nospam.com

Dec 7, 2008, 11:56:05 AM12/7/08
On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 03:09:48 -0800 (PST), Anonymous Infidel - the
anti-political talking head <messi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>is dead...Killed by Democrats who bashed our economy into submission

idiot. Regulation is the responsibility of The Executive. It's the
Republicans who pushed for deregulation, and it's deregulation that
gave us this crisis. This is a Bush depression.

Dave Garland

Dec 7, 2008, 1:01:10 PM12/7/08
Seerialmom wrote:

> Saturn is a "GM" product. Why it's good I have no idea. Why doesn't
> GM do the same for it's other products?

Near as I can tell, Saturn isn't that different from GM's other cars,
it's just got a different marketing scheme (fixed prices, friendly
dealers), that some people really liked. But apparently the novelty
has worn off, and it may get reorganized into something else in the
coming Great Implosion.

Dave

(David P.)

Dec 7, 2008, 1:00:32 PM12/7/08
"Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> hall...@aol.com wrote:
>
> > altho we're about to be flooded with 4 grand cars

> > from india, and 8 grand cars from china
>
> Not a chance on that first, you watch.

http://auto.indiamart.com/cars/indica/index.html#xeta

http://auto.indiamart.com/cars/hm-pushpak/
.
.

George

Dec 7, 2008, 1:13:12 PM12/7/08
hal...@aol.com wrote:
> big 3 saw customers wanted SUVs so they built them, gasoline cost
> skyrocketed, fiancials tanked SUV sales dried up. big 3 now on edge of
> bankruptcy.

Who is this "big 3"? by all accounts they should properly be referred to
as the "little 3" since they produce < 30% of the vehicles sold in the
US. Rick Wagoner notably seems to be the biggest problem. Ford said they
aren't actually in trouble. It would seem his departure would be best
for the the long term emergence of GM from bankruptcy. Chrysler is
another story since they are owned by private investors.

> congress should pass a 5 grand tax break for every new american built
> vehicle sold in the next 6 months.

Why? thats just like giving a drink to a drunk. The only thing that
might work is to use the bankruptcy laws that were designed exactly for
these scenarios. Given the complexity of their organizations they could
ask for special rules.

> this would help get the economy moving again
>
> although were about to be flooded with 4 grand cars from india, and 8
> grand cars from china
>
> big 3 will disappear once that happens just like US steel industry
> largely closed years ago.

The "old" US steel industry closed because they were in the same
situation as GM. They had extremely bad management and union contracts
that had extensive work rules and giveaways. There are now vibrant US
steel manufacturers such as Nucor and Worthington. Folks there
definitely don't work for walmart wages but they also don't get double
pay for a day if asked to do another job or 3 months pay if they file a
grievance that someone else pushed the button they were supposed to
push.

George

Dec 7, 2008, 1:21:03 PM12/7/08

Then you might asked yourself who approved the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act
(hint, he was president in 1999) which repealed most of the banking
regulations that were put into effect after the last great depression.
That laid the groundwork for most of our current situation.

Vic Smith

Dec 7, 2008, 1:51:38 PM12/7/08
On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 13:13:12 -0500, George <geo...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>hal...@aol.com wrote:
>> big 3 saw customers wanted SUVs so they built them, gasoline cost
>> skyrocketed, fiancials tanked SUV sales dried up. big 3 now on edge of
>> bankruptcy.
>
>Who is this "big 3"? by all accounts they should properly be referred to
>as the "little 3" since they produce < 30% of the vehicles sold in the
>US.

Here's a reality check for you. You need it.

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-autosales.html

--Vic

Rod Speed

Dec 7, 2008, 1:56:14 PM12/7/08
David P. <imb...@mindspring.com> wrote

> http://auto.indiamart.com/cars/indica/index.html#xeta

> http://auto.indiamart.com/cars/hm-pushpak/

Taint gunna happen, you watch.

The Jugo was a complete flop too.

The american market just aint gunna buy cars like that, they have vast
numbers of viable used cars that are what that sort of buyer buys instead.

Seerialmom

Dec 7, 2008, 2:16:38 PM12/7/08

I'm pretty sure if you were to poll those people buying or leasing
"new" cars you'd find the majority exceed the $50K mark. Most of
those are more concerned with a vehicle staying under warranty and not
having to bother with repair shops. Where your hunch comes into play
is when someone buys a car based on power/looks when they have a "good
enough" car already. Good example: 20 somethings buying a "new" Dodge
Charger when they have a decent running 92 Camry.

Bob F

Dec 7, 2008, 2:56:27 PM12/7/08

"George" <geo...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

And who was it that passed it for him to approve?

James

Dec 7, 2008, 3:23:49 PM12/7/08
On Dec 6, 2:41 pm, wis...@yahoo.com wrote:
> For the next 6 months, at least, think about refraining from buying a
> new vehicle. If yours totally fails buy a used car or truck. (By the
> way, a new car is a crummy investment i.e. instant depreciation)
> Or have yours repaired. The current cars and trucks can easily run
> for 200,000 or more miles. This "holiday" will give us a chance to see
> if the Big 3 can make satisfactory progress i.e. restructuring.
>
> ted

I would think these are great times to buy a new car. Dealers are
going under and need to sell stock cheap. May be able to pick up a
REAL bargin.

Message has been deleted

George

Dec 7, 2008, 5:26:21 PM12/7/08
I hoped someone would mention that. You just have to laugh when people
who drink either red or blue kool-aid get upset about the -other- party
when the reality is all of the politicians are owned by the fat cats and
special interests. The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act is a perfect example of
that. The red congress created it and the blue president supported and
signed it. And it met the intended result. The fat cats were free to do
almost anything they wanted generating remarkably similar results to the
great depression.

aemeijers

Dec 7, 2008, 6:17:20 PM12/7/08

I've looked. Can't find anything I'd care to own. All pug-ugly gigantic
Hot Wheels cars, these days. (especially all the current Chrysler
products.) What are their stylists smoking? Even Honda and Mercedes look
like crap lately, with those silly wrap-around $500 headlights and
too-tall beltlines that everyone else is using. They don't even look
like cars and pickups any more. And since I need a vehicle with hauling
capability, what is with those jellybean cargo areas on anything with a
tailgate? You have to shove anything tall in about two feet to close the
gate.

You damn kids get off my lawn!

--
aem rants....

Dennis

Dec 8, 2008, 3:30:25 PM12/8/08
On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 17:26:21 -0500, George <geo...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>I hoped someone would mention that. You just have to laugh when people
>who drink either red or blue kool-aid get upset about the -other- party
>when the reality is all of the politicians are owned by the fat cats and
>special interests. The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act is a perfect example of
>that. The red congress created it and the blue president supported and
>signed it. And it met the intended result. The fat cats were free to do
>almost anything they wanted generating remarkably similar results to the
>great depression.

I agree 100%. There are a few mcfl regulars who insist on framing
everything as "My Party Good -- Your Party Evil", when the truth is
that most all politicians are in the pocket of the same masters.

Dennis (evil)
--
An inherent weakness of a pure democracy is that half
the voters are below average intelligence.

OldRoads

Dec 8, 2008, 4:15:58 PM12/8/08
On Dec 7, 4:48 pm, denni...@dennism3.invalid (Dennis M) wrote:

> I ran across a GM infocommercial for Buick/Pontiac/GMC this morning, never
> seen them do that before.

Yeah, GM is already spending the bailout money we shouldn't give them.
Every GM car I've owned has been junk.
Instead of spending money on R&D and making a better vehicle, they
spend it on advertising and selling silly stuff like their "OnStar"
emergency monitoring.

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Galen Hekhuis

Dec 8, 2008, 4:31:28 PM12/8/08

Makes it pretty obvious the problem is with the managers, not the
workers.

Anonymous Infidel - the anti-political talking head

Dec 9, 2008, 6:25:13 AM12/9/08
> >is dead...Killed by Democrats who bashed our economy into submission
>
> idiot.
Said the apologist bootlicker.

> Regulation is the responsibility of The Executive.
The executive branch that caused this was Billy.

> It's the Republicans who pushed for deregulation,
And then, after seeing they had made a massive mistake, they tried to
correct it over and over and over again. [Only to be blocked by
Democrats]

> and it's deregulation that gave us this crisis.

Thank you billy.

> This is a Bush depression.

No, you sad apologist bootlicker, clearly this is the Democrat's
party. [They knew that if they fucked up the economy good enough DA
morons like you, who are largly ignorant of anything to do with
politics, would come out in force and vote straight ticket for the
party]

http://www.howobamagotelected.com/

Han de Bruijn

Dec 9, 2008, 8:14:47 AM12/9/08

Yyyaaaaaaaaawwwnn .. USA is only interested in USA.

http://www.henryckliu.com/

Han de Bruijn

Michael Coburn

Dec 9, 2008, 5:05:38 PM12/9/08
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 14:14:47 +0100, Han de Bruijn wrote:

> Anonymous Infidel - the anti-political talking head wrote:

The lies never stop from both sides.

>>>idiot.
>>
>> Said the apologist bootlicker.
>>
>>>Regulation is the responsibility of The Executive.

The ENFORCEMENT of regulations is the responsibility of the executive
just like the enforcement of law is the responsibility of the executive.
But the regulations are created and repealed by the congress.

>> The executive branch that caused this was Billy.

Actually, it was the Gingrich Republican Congress and Phil Gramm.

>>>It's the Republicans who pushed for deregulation,
>>
>> And then, after seeing they had made a massive mistake, they tried to
>> correct it over and over and over again. [Only to be blocked by
>> Democrats]

I want see some evidence to this blocking by the Democrats of any repeal
of the Gramm-Leech-Biley Act that did away with Glass-Steagall, or any
legislation blocked by Democrats that would have removed the effects of
the Commodity Futures Modernization Act the gave legal certainty that the
Commodity Futures Exchange Commission would not be able to regulate
interest rate swaps and financial insurance futures.

>>>and it's deregulation that gave us this crisis.
>>
>> Thank you billy.

The Commodity Futures Modernization Act was poled into a MUST SIGN
appropriations bill by Phil Gramm at the time Bill Clinton was leaving
office and at a time when a veto was not possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodity_Futures_Modernization_Act_of_2000

Nowhere will you find a more obscene and underhanded act of legerdemain
then in the way this was made into law.

>>>This is a Bush depression.
>>
>> No, you sad apologist bootlicker, clearly this is the Democrat's party.
>> [They knew that if they fucked up the economy good enough DA morons
>> like you, who are largly ignorant of anything to do with politics,
>> would come out in force and vote straight ticket for the party]

Just one lie after another....

Anonymous Infidel - the anti-political talking head

Dec 12, 2008, 8:12:24 AM12/12/08
> Yyyaaaaaaaaawwwnn .. USA is only interested in USA.
No point in yawning...Clearly your brain died years ago.

bhan...@netscape.net

Dec 13, 2008, 10:00:26 AM12/13/08
On Dec 6, 8:59 pm, "hall...@aol.com" <hall...@aol.com> wrote:
> big 3 saw customers wanted SUVs so they built them, gasoline cost
> skyrocketed, fiancials tanked SUV sales dried up. big 3 now on edge of
> bankruptcy.

Well put.

Now the big 3 are run by people who make 400+ times
more than the basic worker, so they are roughly 400+
times wiser, smarter, more ruthless, etc than a basic
human person.

Clearly, they should have seen what would happen when
the gasoline price started to spike. (For that matter,
shouldn't all other CEO's whose companies eventually
suffer from a chain reaction to the price spike, also
see that in advance?)

The gasoline price spike was not a natural demand-supply
thing, it was some sort of a weird unnatural freakish thing.

So the big 3's management, who are 400+ times wiser,
smarter, more ruthless, etc, than a normal human,
should have gotten together and killed this gasoline
price spike before it grew big enough to start killing
their companies. That would have been the time to
go to the congress, kick and screan, hire investigators,
whatever they needed to use their 400+ super-human
abilities to stop the gasoline price spike in its tracks.

Why didn't they?

clams_casino

Dec 13, 2008, 11:06:31 AM12/13/08
bhan...@netscape.net wrote:

>Now the big 3 are run by people who make 400+ times
>more than the basic worker, so they are roughly 400+
>times wiser, smarter, more ruthless, etc than a basic
>human person.

They can't be all that smart, granting UAW workers 95% pay for staying
home doesn't sound like too smart a move on their part.

bhan...@netscape.net

Dec 13, 2008, 5:25:34 PM12/13/08

PS: To be fair, it's easy to have 20/20 hindsight.

On the other hand, if you are running a company
that makes cars, exactly how much smarts does
it take to see that outrageous gas prices would
kill off your SUV sales?

Is it that it just so much easier to beg for money
(or rather, ask for ransom, if you believe the "too
big to fail" theories) than to make noises and
efforts to stop something abnormal that's going
to kill your company down the road?

aemeijers

Dec 13, 2008, 8:04:36 PM12/13/08
Feds share part of the blame here- a big reason SUVs happened is that
the CAFE rules made it impossible to sell full-size station wagons
(which is what most early SUV buyers had previously bought, and what
they really needed), without charging the gas guzzler tax. What is an
SUV (most of which never go off-road) but a tall, ugly, bad-handling
station wagon, that gets even crappier gas mileage than the vehicle that
it replaced? For people that tow stuff, or thought they might need to
someday, no FWD vehicle cut the mustard- that sold more SUVs. Then SUVs
became trendy, and the downward spiral started...

The law of unintended consequences, etc.

--
aem sends...