Air bed leak

Marsha

Dec 2, 2009, 7:25:52 PM12/2/09
My air bed mattress is leaking. Thought it was the box with the motor
assembly part, but tried a new one and it still leaks. So it must be
the air chamber itself. I know how to find the leak on the air chamber,
but what would I use to patch it?

Thanks,
Marsha

sr

Dec 2, 2009, 9:21:57 PM12/2/09

"Marsha" <m...@xeb.net> wrote in message news:hf70ih$u33$1...@news.datemas.de...
I tried patching, cement glue and rubber patch,didn't work, pitched it

Gary Heston

Dec 2, 2009, 10:05:37 PM12/2/09

Is this a vinyl bladder type mattress? If so, a pool patch kit would
probably work.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
"Where large, expensive pieces of exotic woods are converted to valueless,

Gordon

Dec 3, 2009, 3:56:13 AM12/3/09
Marsha <m...@xeb.net> wrote in news:hf70ih$u33$1...@news.datemas.de:

I sucsessfuly patched a pin hole leak in an air matress with scotch tape.
Just be sure to burnish it down real good to get a good seal.

Marsha

Dec 3, 2009, 7:51:46 PM12/3/09
Gary Heston wrote:
> In article <hf70ih$u33$1...@news.datemas.de>, Marsha <m...@bex.net> wrote:
>> My air bed mattress is leaking. Thought it was the box with the motor
>> assembly part, but tried a new one and it still leaks. So it must be
>> the air chamber itself. I know how to find the leak on the air chamber,
>> but what would I use to patch it?
>
> Is this a vinyl bladder type mattress? If so, a pool patch kit would
> probably work.
>

> Gary

Yes. Your suggestion sounds reasonable.

Marsha

Marsha

Dec 3, 2009, 7:54:11 PM12/3/09

At first, the deflation was intermittent. Now it's constant and
relatively quick, so I'm assuming the "hole" is getting larger.

Marsha

Gary Heston

Dec 3, 2009, 10:21:09 PM12/3/09
In article <hf9mf5$c3q$1...@news.datemas.de>, Marsha <m...@bex.net> wrote:
>Gary Heston wrote:
>> In article <hf70ih$u33$1...@news.datemas.de>, Marsha <m...@bex.net> wrote:
>>> My air bed mattress is leaking. Thought it was the box with the motor
>>> assembly part, but tried a new one and it still leaks. So it must be
>>> the air chamber itself. I know how to find the leak on the air chamber,
>>> but what would I use to patch it?

>> Is this a vinyl bladder type mattress? If so, a pool patch kit would
>> probably work.

>Yes. Your suggestion sounds reasonable.

Pool patch kits are useful for several things. I had a co-worker many
years ago who owned a 25 or 26 foot cabin cruiser. It cracked along the
base of the stern, where it joined the back of the hull. He applied a
pool patch on it at my suggestion, and stopped the leak until he could
get it repaired by the local boatyard. The repair guy got a good chuckle
when he saw it, but acknowledged that it did work.

Finding unconventional applications for things can be fun...

Dec 4, 2009, 12:14:17 AM12/4/09

"Gary Heston" <ghe...@hiwaay.net> wrote in message

> Finding unconventional applications for things can be fun...

Oh yeah. The big box guys are used to me standing in various aisles and just
staring at things. They used to ask if they could help, but by now they all
know I'm just there trying to figure out how to solve the weird build
(theatrical/portable/floatable/flyable, etc.) assignment of the day. I
usually end up having to hit the real hardware store for a lot of the parts,
but the big box has so much of everything that simply staring at it for
awhile will usually spark a solution. Or at least a concept of how to begin!
I especially like to start in a "non-obvious" place for out of the box
thinking.

Lou

Dec 4, 2009, 10:24:58 AM12/4/09

"Marsha" <m...@xeb.net> wrote in message news:hf9mf5$c3q$1...@news.datemas.de...
I'd have my doubts - pool patches go on the inside of the pool, and the
pressure of the water helps hold the patch, so the patch works with the
pressure. Presumably you'll be putting the patch on the outside of the air
mattress, where the patch will have to work against the air pressure.

A bicycle tube patch might be a better choice, since these patches have to
hold against the air pressure, but I don't know if a patch designed for a
rubber tube (are they still rubber? for that matter, do bicycle tires still
have tubes?) will adhere to vinyl

Bob F

Dec 4, 2009, 12:55:21 PM12/4/09

Pool, (or air mattress) patch kits are designed for use on vinyl. Bicycle patch
kits are definitely not.

If the OP find the hole, a dab of "Aquaseal" or a good urethane caulk will
probably patch it, also.

Rod Speed

Dec 4, 2009, 6:45:23 PM12/4/09

And bicycle tube partches are forced against the inside of tire by the air pressure too.