going green isn't cheap

sr

Dec 2, 2009, 10:13:01 PM12/2/09
Anthony Faiola: Germany pays the price to go green
a.. Anthony Faiola | Washington Post writer | Posted: Wednesday, December
2, 2009 4:15 am | (4) Comments
GELSENKIRCHEN, Germany - In this nation that embraced one of the world's
most aggressive campaigns against global warming, the Pokropp family can
almost hear the cha-ching when switching off their lights.

A kilowatt of electricity costs three times as much here as it does in the
United States, supercharged with high taxes to discourage use and to help
fund renewable energy development. Meanwhile, a 50 percent "eco-tax" has
sent the price of gasoline to $8 a gallon. To manage costs, the family of
three unplugs all their appliances but the refrigerator at night, avoids
driving and limits steam baths - a favorite German custom.

"We have no choice," said Andreas Pokropp, a former coal refinery worker.
"We have to be green, even if we can't afford it."

sr

Dec 2, 2009, 11:32:45 PM12/2/09

"sr" <sol...@uninets.net> wrote in message
forgot a signature