Lowe's "Earth Day" special

Ohioguy

Apr 18, 2010, 4:11:29 PM4/18/10
I just got an Earth Day coupon book from Lowe's. Says Earth Day on
the front cover.

One of the coupons inside is for 10% off a leaf blower. It is an
electric leaf blower, and the ad stresses "you'll never have to use a
broom again".

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this sort of ad COMPLETELY
NEGATE the whole point of Earth Day?

I mean, heck, they might as well say, "remove the last vestige of
exercise from your life, and INCREASE your use of fossil fuels". That's
a nice Earth Day message.

Rod Speed

Apr 18, 2010, 4:25:46 PM4/18/10
Ohioguy wrote:

> I just got an Earth Day coupon book from Lowe's. Says Earth Day on the front cover.

> One of the coupons inside is for 10% off a leaf blower. It is an electric leaf blower, and the ad stresses "you'll
> never have to use a broom again".

> Now correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this sort of ad COMPLETELY NEGATE the whole point of Earth Day?

Corse it does.

> I mean, heck, they might as well say, "remove the last vestige of exercise from your life, and INCREASE your use of
> fossil fuels". That's a nice Earth Day message.

Yeah, the person responsible should be burnt at the
stake, or more environmentally, kicked to death.

Michael Black

Apr 18, 2010, 6:40:06 PM4/18/10

Earth Day was a day back in 1970, the whole point was to raise awareness.
It was on the level of a teach-in, like they had for the Vietnam War and
such.

Yes, it happened a few times after that, though in 1978 the Big Event was
Sun Day, to raise awareness of solar power, and then for some years the
Big Event in late April was for anti-nuclear activity. That was followed
by some years of anti-nuclear weapon activity on April 26th.

It was only in 1990 that Earth Day made it big, getting a big resurrection
and a commercial slant to it. Advertisers got on the bandwagon, so you'd
see environmental specials on tv complete with car advertisiers.

It has sort of stayed in the picture since then, but has more or
less become a "celebration" of something rather than a chance to learn
and then change.

Michael