home energy tax credit

Ohioguy

Feb 27, 2010, 5:58:18 AM2/27/10
I've just had all of the windows in our new place replaced with
Energy Star rated windows, and also had 2 doors replaced with Energy
Star rated ones. I'm going to peel all of the Energy Star stickers and
ratings stickers off of them and keep them in a folder as proof.

This year, I can't get anything out of this because it isn't a
refundable tax credit - it just decreases what you owe.

For 2010, however, I'm wondering how I might best put this tax credit
to work. Obviously, it is designed to balance out a tax owed, so I'm
wondering if there is something (useful, fun, whatever) I could do in
order to "owe" taxes this year, and balance those owed taxes out using
the energy tax credit.

The only thing I can think of so far is perhaps transferring some of
my wife's retirement funds over to a Roth IRA. Doing so triggers an
immediate tax liability, since about 60% of her retirement funds are
still in a taxable account.

Anybody have any other ideas? Thanks!

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 1, 2010, 1:15:55 PM3/1/10
On Feb 27, 5:58 am, Ohioguy <n...@none.net> wrote:
>    I've just had all of the windows in our new place replaced with
> Energy Star rated windows, and also had 2 doors replaced with Energy
> Star rated ones.  I'm going to peel all of the Energy Star stickers and
> ratings stickers off of them and keep them in a folder as proof.

Do you have anything that looks like a sales receipt? If I were the
IRS, I'd require that rather than anonymous stickers that could
have been pulled from someone else's windows.

>    This year, I can't get anything out of this because it isn't a
> refundable tax credit - it just decreases what you owe.
>
>    For 2010, however, I'm wondering how I might best put this tax credit
> to work.  Obviously, it is designed to balance out a tax owed, so I'm
> wondering if there is something (useful, fun, whatever) I could do in
> order to "owe" taxes this year, and balance those owed taxes out using
> the energy tax credit.
>
>    The only thing I can think of so far is perhaps transferring some of
> my wife's retirement funds over to a Roth IRA.  Doing so triggers an
> immediate tax liability, since about 60% of her retirement funds are
> still in a taxable account.
>
>    Anybody have any other ideas?  Thanks!

So, did you buy these windows in 2010, or 2009?

Ohioguy

Mar 4, 2010, 5:53:24 PM3/4/10

2010. Yes, there is a receipt of sorts, but just says total cost.