What to do if your car accelerates uncontrollably

VFW

Mar 9, 2010, 7:07:42 PM3/9/10
a no brainer, if your have a standard shift. push the clutch down.

an automatic (really!)
practice bumping the shifter into neutral. Let Toyota buy you a new
motor.
--
Money; What a Concept !

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 9, 2010, 7:25:31 PM3/9/10
In article
<georgeswk-9ACE9...@news.to
ast.net>,
VFW <geor...@toast.net> wrote:

> a no brainer, if your have a standard shift. push the clutch down.
>
> an automatic (really!)
> practice bumping the shifter into neutral. Let Toyota buy you a new
> motor.

I've always considered the key a great
way to shut the car down.

And yes I know it makes the car harder
to steer...but not impossible.

Zee

Mar 9, 2010, 8:09:55 PM3/9/10
On Mar 10, 8:25 am, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
bug...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> In article
> <georgeswk-9ACE9B.16074209032...@news.to
> ast.net>,

>  VFW <george...@toast.net> wrote:
> > a no brainer, if your have a standard shift. push the clutch down.
>
> > an automatic (really!)
> > practice bumping the shifter into neutral. Let Toyota buy you a new
> > motor.
>
> I've always considered the key a great
> way to shut the car down.
>
> And yes I know it makes the car harder
> to steer...but not impossible.

Oh no please don't do that. Shutting of the key while your car in gear
will make it stop in a dime and probably violently and god knows what
will happen to the car while you are in it. Whether you are driving an
auto or manual, you need to shift to Neutral first before even
thinking of shutting down the engine. But in my opinion, after
shifting to Neutral, just brake slowly and pull over before shutting
down the engine.

VFW

Mar 9, 2010, 8:24:58 PM3/9/10
In article
<4d9fab8f-b6f3-4165...@u15g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
Zee <zza...@gmail.com> wrote:

If you do turn the key , don't remove it. the steering may lock.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2010, 8:43:43 PM3/9/10

It is if its got a steering lock and most modern cars do.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2010, 9:37:42 PM3/9/10
Zee wrote:
> On Mar 10, 8:25 am, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
> bug...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> In article
>> <georgeswk-9ACE9B.16074209032...@news.to
>> ast.net>,
>>
>> VFW <george...@toast.net> wrote:
>>> a no brainer, if your have a standard shift. push the clutch down.
>>
>>> an automatic (really!)
>>> practice bumping the shifter into neutral. Let Toyota buy you a new
>>> motor.
>>
>> I've always considered the key a great
>> way to shut the car down.
>>
>> And yes I know it makes the car harder
>> to steer...but not impossible.
>
> Oh no please don't do that. Shutting of the key while your car in gear
> will make it stop in a dime

No it doesnt.

> and probably violently

Doesnt do that either.

> and god knows what will happen to the car while you are in it.

Main problem is that it will engage the steering lock, so you will keep going straight ahead.

That can be a problem when you want to get off the road
once its close to stopping so you dont get run up the arse.

Not clear if the engine will go flat out again if you turn the key
on once you're almost stopped to steer off the road tho.

> Whether you are driving an auto or manual, you need to shift to
> Neutral first before even thinking of shutting down the engine.

No you dont.

> But in my opinion, after shifting to Neutral, just brake
> slowly and pull over before shutting down the engine.

Trouble is that the engine could easily get killed by gross over revving if you do it that way.

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2010, 9:40:36 PM3/9/10

Absolutely certainly will lock in fact.

Les Cargill

Mar 9, 2010, 9:42:35 PM3/9/10

Troll much, Rod?

If said engine is on a car that has a recall out for it,
this will not be a problem. There's a known,
acknowledged defect in the car, and you will
get a nice fresh engine for it for free, and
probably a loaner while it gets fixed.

--
Les Cargill

Rod Speed

Mar 9, 2010, 11:49:55 PM3/9/10
Les Cargill wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> Zee wrote
>>> Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds <atlas-bug...@invalid.invalid> wrote

>>> Oh no please don't do that. Shutting of the key while your car in gear will make it stop in a dime

>> No it doesnt.

>>> and probably violently

>> Doesnt do that either.

>>> and god knows what will happen to the car while you are in it.

>> Main problem is that it will engage the steering lock, so you will keep going straight ahead.

>> That can be a problem when you want to get off the road
>> once its close to stopping so you dont get run up the arse.

>> Not clear if the engine will go flat out again if you turn the key
>> on once you're almost stopped to steer off the road tho.

>>> Whether you are driving an auto or manual, you need to shift to
>>> Neutral first before even thinking of shutting down the engine.

>> No you dont.

>>> But in my opinion, after shifting to Neutral, just brake
>>> slowly and pull over before shutting down the engine.

>> Trouble is that the engine could easily get killed by gross over revving if you do it that way.

> Troll much, Rod?

Like I said, you wouldnt know what a real troll was if one bit you on your lard arse.

> If said engine is on a car that has a recall out for it, this will not be a problem.

Wrong. If it just gets damaged by the over revving, and doesnt get killed,
the damage may well not show up immediately and you'd have fuck all
chance of getting a new engine if the engine dies years later.

And we arent necessarily talking about a car that has a recall out anyway.

It makes a lot more sense to talk about what works best regardless
of the detail of why the accelerator cant be released, because that
can be something as basic as the mat jamming under the bottom
of it, or just the linkage breaking etc with an older car etc.

Particularly when the alternative of just turning the ignition off and
leaving the key in the ignition so the steering lock doesnt lock the
steering makes a lot more sense than just putting the car in neutral.

> There's a known, acknowledged defect in the car, and you will get a nice fresh engine for it for free, and probably a
> loaner while it gets fixed.

Not if it doesnt die immediately you wont necessarily.

Makes a lot more sense to just turn the ignition off instead.

Message has been deleted

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 10, 2010, 2:17:11 AM3/10/10
In article
<7vobq...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Which means you set the wheel to steer
straight while on a straight bit of road

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 10, 2010, 2:22:11 AM3/10/10
In article
<4d9fab8f-b6f3-4165-bbfc-b0717ffe9757@u1
5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
Zee <zza...@gmail.com> wrote:

Let's see: the latest adventure has a
prius traveling at 94 mph (which may
well be a record) on a nice freeway with
lots of traffic. Choices are to continue
doing what you are doing and maybe rear
end some innocent driver, drive off into
the bushes or cause the car to suddenly
stop via shutting it off and trust your
airbag.

I'll take the airbag.

BTW, I can't see any reason why shutting
the engine off will make it stop on a
dime...lot's of energy stored in the
mass of a car going that fast, enough to
turn the engine quite a few revs.

Of course in California the standard,
and I believe it is a question on the
drivers test, is run your car up against
the guardrails

Rod Speed

Mar 10, 2010, 3:37:45 AM3/10/10
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote
>>> VFW <geor...@toast.net> wrote

>>> I've always considered the key a great way to shut the car down.

>>> And yes I know it makes the car harder to steer...but not impossible.

>> It is if its got a steering lock and most modern cars do.

> Which means you set the wheel to steer straight while on a straight bit of road

Pity about your car ending up stopped in the middle of that road.

Makes a hell of a lot more sense to move off that road as is slowing down instead.

Rod Speed

Mar 10, 2010, 3:42:02 AM3/10/10
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote
> Zee <zza...@gmail.com> wrote

>> Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-bug...@invalid.invalid> wrote
>>> VFW <george...@toast.net> wrote

>>> I've always considered the key a great way to shut the car down.

>>> And yes I know it makes the car harder to steer...but not impossible.

>> Oh no please don't do that. Shutting of the key while your car in
>> gear will make it stop in a dime and probably violently and god
>> knows what will happen to the car while you are in it. Whether you
>> are driving an auto or manual, you need to shift to Neutral first
>> before even thinking of shutting down the engine. But in my opinion,
>> after shifting to Neutral, just brake slowly and pull over before
>> shutting down the engine.

> Let's see: the latest adventure has a
> prius traveling at 94 mph (which may
> well be a record) on a nice freeway with
> lots of traffic. Choices are to continue
> doing what you are doing and maybe rear
> end some innocent driver, drive off into
> the bushes or cause the car to suddenly
> stop via shutting it off and trust your airbag.

Nope, that last wont happen.

> I'll take the airbag.

More fool you.

> BTW, I can't see any reason why shutting
> the engine off will make it stop on a dime...

Corse it wont.

> lot's of energy stored in the mass of a car going
> that fast, enough to turn the engine quite a few revs.

> Of course in California the standard, and I believe it is a question
> on the drivers test, is run your car up against the guardrails

More fool California. And you aint established that there are any guard rails anyway.

Al

Mar 10, 2010, 8:10:35 AM3/10/10

Great theory of yours from the 50's.
The shifter on these cars is not mechanical, it's electric. You can
try to shift it, but the electronics is in charge.
The start stop is controlled on many with a button, not the key.
Again, electronics is in charge.
If the public perceives a ghost in the electronics, Toyota will be
forced to employ a kill switch like NASCAR and brake override.

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 10, 2010, 12:49:51 PM3/10/10
On Mar 9, 8:09 pm, Zee <zza...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 10, 8:25 am, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
>

> bug...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> > In article
> > <georgeswk-9ACE9B.16074209032...@news.to
> > ast.net>,
>
> >  VFW <george...@toast.net> wrote:
> > > a no brainer, if your have a standard shift. push the clutch down.
>
> > > an automatic (really!)
> > > practice bumping the shifter into neutral. Let Toyota buy you a new
> > > motor.
>
> > I've always considered the key a great
> > way to shut the car down.
>
> > And yes I know it makes the car harder
> > to steer...but not impossible.
>
> Oh no please don't do that. Shutting of the key while your car in gear
> will make it stop in a dime and probably violently

So, how does that work, exactly? What causes the wheels to halt
when the engine is no longer supplying power to them?

How is it different from stalling out?

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 10, 2010, 2:45:45 PM3/10/10
In article
<7vp4as...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Of course in California the standard, and I believe it is a question
> > on the drivers test, is run your car up against the guardrails
>
> More fool California. And you aint established that there are any guard rails
> anyway.

Since you are the resident expert, prove
there aren't any. It should be easy for
you...just find a clip on youtube of any
interstate, freeway or major road in
California (excluding surface streets)
and it will be rife without guardrails.

I'll wait.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 10, 2010, 2:47:10 PM3/10/10
In article
<7vp42r...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

What causes the car to slow down and be
steerable?

Rod Speed

Mar 10, 2010, 4:19:26 PM3/10/10
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Of course in California the standard, and I believe it is a question
>>> on the drivers test, is run your car up against the guardrails

>> More fool California. And you aint established that there are any guard rails anyway.

> Since you are the resident expert, prove
> there aren't any. It should be easy for
> you...just find a clip on youtube of any
> interstate, freeway or major road in California

Pity about other roads, fuckwit.

Rod Speed

Mar 10, 2010, 4:21:17 PM3/10/10

The drag provided by the engine. Same drag you get when you take your
foot off the accelerator with the car in gear with no accelerator fault, stupid.

Bob F

Mar 10, 2010, 4:59:49 PM3/10/10
Zee wrote:
> On Mar 10, 8:25 am, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
> bug...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> In article
>> <georgeswk-9ACE9B.16074209032...@news.to
>> ast.net>,
>>
>> VFW <george...@toast.net> wrote:
>>> a no brainer, if your have a standard shift. push the clutch down.
>>
>>> an automatic (really!)
>>> practice bumping the shifter into neutral. Let Toyota buy you a new
>>> motor.
>>
>> I've always considered the key a great
>> way to shut the car down.
>>
>> And yes I know it makes the car harder
>> to steer...but not impossible.
>
> Oh no please don't do that. Shutting of the key while your car in gear
> will make it stop in a dime and probably violently and god knows what
> will happen to the car while you are in it.

OK. You are a moron. Why do you want to tell everyone here that?

What nonsense.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 10, 2010, 6:43:48 PM3/10/10
In article
<7vqgqf...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Yet the problem being discussed is what
to do when you can't get your car to
stop accelerating.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 10, 2010, 6:44:48 PM3/10/10
In article
<7vqgn1...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote

Pity you can't prove your point old
fella. Seems like a constant problem
with you

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 10, 2010, 6:45:11 PM3/10/10
In article
<7vqgn1...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote

We weren't discussing other roads old
fella

Rod Speed

Mar 10, 2010, 10:18:57 PM3/10/10

You can if you turn the engine off.

Rod Speed

Mar 10, 2010, 10:20:10 PM3/10/10
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Since you are the resident expert, prove
>>> there aren't any. It should be easy for
>>> you...just find a clip on youtube of any
>>> interstate, freeway or major road in California

>> Pity about other roads, fuckwit.

> Pity you can't prove your point

Everyone can see for themselves that you are lying, as always.

Rod Speed

Mar 10, 2010, 10:21:48 PM3/10/10
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Since you are the resident expert, prove
>>> there aren't any. It should be easy for
>>> you...just find a clip on youtube of any
>>> interstate, freeway or major road in California

>> Pity about other roads, fuckwit.

> We weren't discussing other roads

Everyone can see for themselves that you are lying, as always.

That is precisely the roads I was commenting on, fuckwit.

Your comprehension is that fucked ? Your problem, as always.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Mar 10, 2010, 11:16:01 PM3/10/10
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:07:42 -0800, VFW <geor...@toast.net> wrote:

>a no brainer, if your have a standard shift. push the clutch down.
>
>an automatic (really!)
>practice bumping the shifter into neutral. Let Toyota buy you a new
>motor.

Thought the same thing until people informed me of how these things
work. There are a couple of options unless you have a Prius.
Install a gas cut-off valve, or carry a loaded 38 to shoot the damn
thing into submission. I'm thinking seriously about only buying
antique cars from now on.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 11, 2010, 1:32:02 AM3/11/10
In article
<7vr5ue...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote
> > Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
> >> Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote

> >> Pity about other roads, fuckwit.

^^^^

> > We weren't discussing other roads
>
> Everyone can see for themselves that you are lying, as always.

Easy old fella, wouldn't want to have
you spend your pension check on more
meds. What lie is that you think you see?

> That is precisely the roads I was commenting on, fuckwit.

You are either talking about California
roads in which case you are dead wrong
or you are talking about other roads in
which case you are terminally stupid

In your case it amounts to about the
same thing

> Your comprehension is that fucked ? Your problem, as always.

Maybe you should try white cotton
t-shirts

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 11, 2010, 1:32:28 AM3/11/10
In article
<7vr5rc...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Pity you can't prove your point old fella

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 11, 2010, 1:34:18 AM3/11/10
In article
<7vr5p4...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> The drag provided by the engine. Same drag you get when you take your
> >> foot off the accelerator with the car in gear with no accelerator fault,
> >> stupid.
>
> > Yet the problem being discussed is what to do when you can't get your car
> > to stop accelerating.
>
> You can if you turn the engine off.

which would cause the steering wheel to
lock as you have previously mentioned.
Do try to keep up old fella

Rod Speed

Mar 11, 2010, 1:42:42 AM3/11/10
Some terminal fuckwit claiming to be
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds desperately
attempted to bullshit and lie its way
out of its predicament and fooled
absolutely no one at all, as always.

Rod Speed

Mar 11, 2010, 1:42:57 AM3/11/10

Rod Speed

Mar 11, 2010, 1:44:52 AM3/11/10
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

Not if you leave the key in the ignition and JUST turn it off, fuckwit.

Mar 11, 2010, 9:56:04 AM3/11/10

<hchi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I've never owned a car less than 10 years old. I figure all. the bugs have
been worked out by the time I get it. Plus, Subarus aren't that complicated.

Bill

Mar 11, 2010, 12:11:27 PM3/11/10
Has this problem happened to any auto mechanics?

i.e. Has there been an auto mechanic driving one of these cars and he could
not get the car to stop?

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 11, 2010, 12:25:04 PM3/11/10
In article
<7vrhr6...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote

So originally, according to you, turning
off the key would make the car
impossible to steer because of a
steering lock, but now the steering lock
would work if you turn off the key.
Which one is the lie old fella?

--

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur
adipiscing elit. Cras lobortis volutpat
commodo. Morbi lobortis, massa fringilla
adipiscing suscipit, velit urna pharetra
neque, non luctus arcu diam vitae justo.
Vivamus lacinia scelerisque ultricies.
Nunc lobortis elit ligula. Aliquam
sollicitudin nunc sed est gravida ac
viverra tellus ullamcorper. Vivamus non
nisi suscipit nisi egestas venenatis.
Donec vitae arcu id urna euismod
feugiat. Vivamus porta lobortis
ultricies. Nulla adipiscing tellus a
neque vehicula porta. Maecenas volutpat
aliquet sagittis. Proin nisi magna,
molestie id volutpat in, tincidunt sed
dolor. Nullam nisi erat, aliquet
scelerisque sagittis vitae, pretium
accumsan odio. Sed ut mi iaculis eros
rutrum tristique ut nec mi. Aliquam nec
augue dui, in mattis urna. In pretium
metus eu diam blandit accumsan. Ut eu
lorem sed odio porttitor blandit.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 11, 2010, 12:26:51 PM3/11/10
In article
<7vrhnj...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Some terminal fuckwit claiming to be

Pity that you still think censoring
someones reply is anything but the act
of a desperate old loser.

I've fixed the post for you

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 11, 2010, 12:28:07 PM3/11/10
In article
<7vrhn5...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Some terminal fuckwit claiming to be

Pity that you think censoring a post is
anything but the admission of what a sad
old fool you are

I've fixed the post for you

In article

Rod Speed

Mar 11, 2010, 1:56:22 PM3/11/10

Never ever said that, fuckwit.

Rod Speed

Mar 11, 2010, 1:57:01 PM3/11/10

Rod Speed

Mar 11, 2010, 1:57:11 PM3/11/10

Les Cargill

Mar 11, 2010, 7:03:33 PM3/11/10

This from a nymshifting troll. The irony
is thick as cheese.

--
Les Cargill

Rod Speed

Mar 11, 2010, 9:23:22 PM3/11/10
Some terminal fuckwit claiming to be
Les Cargill desperately attempted

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 12, 2010, 12:39:50 AM3/12/10
In article
<7vsso9...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Some terminal fuckwit claiming to be

Pity that you think censoring a post is

anything but the admission of what a sad
old fool you are

I've fixed the post for you old fella

In article
<7vrhn5...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Some terminal fuckwit claiming to be

Pity that you think censoring a post is

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 12, 2010, 12:40:59 AM3/12/10
In article
<7vrhnj...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Some terminal fuckwit claiming to be

Pity that you still think censoring

someones reply is anything but the act
of a desperate old loser.

I've fixed the post for you old fella

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 12, 2010, 12:43:17 AM3/12/10
In article
<7vssmo...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> > In article
> > <7vrhr6...@mid.individual.net>,
> > "Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote

*** yes, you did say that

> >> Not if you leave the key in the ignition and JUST turn it off,
> >> fuckwit.
> >
> > So originally, according to you, turning off the key would make
> > the car impossible to steer because of a steering lock,
>
> Never ever said that, fuckwit.

You really should get your meds
adjusted. Follow the ***'s if you can
manage that simple task

Rod Speed

Mar 12, 2010, 1:41:50 AM3/12/10

Rod Speed

Mar 12, 2010, 1:42:01 AM3/12/10

Rod Speed

Mar 12, 2010, 1:42:16 AM3/12/10

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 12, 2010, 1:21:33 PM3/12/10
In article
<7vu62...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Some terminal fuckwit claiming to be

How sad for you that you haven't the
nads to admit your error, but instead
have to censor posts thinking that
somehow doesn't make you look the fool.

I've fixed the post for you old fella

In article

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 12, 2010, 1:22:10 PM3/12/10
In article
<7vu61...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Some terminal fuckwit claiming to be

Pity that you still think censoring

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 12, 2010, 1:22:46 PM3/12/10
In article
<7vu61...@mid.individual.net>,

wrote:

> Some terminal fuckwit claiming to be

Pity that you think censoring a post is

VFW

Mar 12, 2010, 1:27:14 PM3/12/10
In article <7vof56...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> VFW wrote:
> > In article
> > <4d9fab8f-b6f3-4165...@u15g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
> > Zee <zza...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Oh no please don't do that. Shutting of the key while your car in
> >> gear will make it stop in a dime and probably violently and god
> >> knows what will happen to the car while you are in it. Whether you
> >> are driving an auto or manual, you need to shift to Neutral first
> >> before even thinking of shutting down the engine. But in my opinion,
> >> after shifting to Neutral, just brake slowly and pull over before
> >> shutting down the engine.
> >
> > If you do turn the key , don't remove it. the steering may lock.
>
> Absolutely certainly will lock in fact.

I found there is a point in the key's travel, that turns the engine off
while not being completely locked, but that just might be VW's.
I see someone selling a Prius in the paper today, comes with the factory
warrantee. They want more than $25 for the car. I'll pass.
--
Money; What a Concept !

Rod Speed

Mar 12, 2010, 6:28:55 PM3/12/10

Rod Speed

Mar 12, 2010, 6:29:04 PM3/12/10

Rod Speed

Mar 12, 2010, 6:29:15 PM3/12/10

Rod Speed

Mar 12, 2010, 6:31:06 PM3/12/10

My VW doesnt lock the steering until you remove the key from the lock.

> I see someone selling a Prius in the paper today, comes with the
> factory warrantee. They want more than $25 for the car. I'll pass.

I dont expect to see any reports of them slashing their wrists.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 13, 2010, 2:20:27 AM3/13/10
In article
<80012d...@mid.individual.net>,

wrote:

> Some terminal fuckwit claiming to be

Pity that you think censoring a post is

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 13, 2010, 2:21:22 AM3/13/10
In article
<800124...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Some terminal fuckwit claiming to be

In article

Pity that you still think censoring

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 13, 2010, 2:21:58 AM3/13/10
In article
<80011p...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Some terminal fuckwit claiming to be

In article

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Mar 13, 2010, 2:23:23 AM3/13/10
In article
<80015t...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> My VW doesnt lock the steering until you remove the key from the lock.

So your steering wheel lock is broken?
What else doesn't work?