NPR on kids and allowances

leno...@yahoo.com

Feb 4, 2015, 6:08:46 PM2/4/15

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/18/219290908/your-kids-and-money-teaching-the-value-of-a-dollar

The interviewee is Ron Lieber, personal finance writer for The New York
Times and author of "The Opposite of Spoiled."

I heard most of the interview (don't have time to check again), but I
suspect he did not mention the method that is now rare in the U.S., but
used to be very common before, say, WWI. Namely: Yes, give kids unpaid
chores, but do NOT give them allowances! If they want money, they can do
EXTRA chores. What's so awful about that?

(Amy Dacyczyn raised her kids just that way - and from her daughters'
interviews, I'd say they were quite content with that method, especially
since they got plenty of presents on their birthdays anyway. I assume the
sons felt pretty much the same way.)

Lenona.

leno...@yahoo.com

Feb 4, 2015, 6:21:46 PM2/4/15
I suddenly realized it was a repeat from 2013, but I DID hear it on NPR
very recently.

Anyway, here's one comment from back then:

Gigi Gardner * a year ago

No allowance. We tried when they were about 8 but they were too young and
money didn't mean anything to them. They really didn't want to buy
anything. Now they are 10 and 12.

They have certain chores they HAVE to do, because they are part of the
family. (empty dishwasher, laundry, bathrooms) Then there are "extra"
chores they can do if they want money.(vacuum cellar, sweep steps, rake,
etc.)

Since they EARN their money, they are very careful about how they spend
it. When my daughter wanted fancy sneakers, I said she could pay for them
with HER money, and she decided she didn't really want them anymore. Same
thing when we take trips and they are in a souvenir shop and I say they
can buy things with THEIR money, it's amazing what they DON't want.

They have used their money to buy craft supplies, like fancy duct tape
and special candy treats, and to buy presents for people.

As they get older, they will get more money and more responsibility for
buying their own things like clothes. Right now they still don't really
care what they wear. (which is very affordable!)

Lenona.

CanopyCo

Feb 6, 2015, 9:12:18 AM2/6/15
I'm all for this idea.

Chores that are just there part of the load of living.
Stuff like doing their own laundry, cleaning there room, and each one gets a day at the trash and mowing the lawn.
Actually, after I got the rider, then mowing the lawn was a reward.
;-)

Then for them to earn some spending cash, they take up jobs assigned to others and get paid by them.
Cutting fire wood is a family job where everyone is involved.
After they were older they could cut fire wood without the rest of us for some cash.
Mow other people's yards with my mower and pay me $5 a yard for using my mower or buy their own.
Work the garden for other people, as our garden is again a entire family job.
They can put out their own garden if they want and sell the output, but the extra from the family garden is split with the entire family.
Same with the eggs.
Take turns gathering the eggs and split the money from selling extra eggs or get your own chicken and make your own little coop and it is all your problem and profit.

Having friendly neighbors within walking distance helps.
Having kids that can and do walk for a couple of miles doesn't hurt things either.
;-)

Doing this helps them understand the value of what they buy as well as gets them ready for the reality of life.
And that it that anyone that will help you for free is a valuable and rare friend to be treated with regard.
Anytime someone helps someone else it costs them, and now they know just how hard those resources are to get so they expect to have to pay your own way for everything until they die.