THE JUNGLE: If we need a metaphor to live by, this is it!

TheTibetanMonkey

Mar 3, 2010, 3:21:45 PM3/3/10
(Who wants to be "lunch" while riding a bike, right? Well, read on)

I don't expect myself to go unchallenged, but the more you think about
it, the more it makes sense...

It seems every primitive culture has a metaphor about creation, and
the Christians have their own inherited from sheep herders. Perfect
scenario: the Garden of Eden, Adam & Eve... and Evil (the Serpent).
Everything goes wrong because A&E don't follow God's command. Moral of
the story? Follow the leader!

Real life: We have animal instincts. We thus can call this place where
we survive "the jungle." Nothing's perfect: Things could be worse, but
we can move up from the jungle and reach CIVILIZATION. I tell you
more, it gives you a solution: unlike the Christian story where
there's only one path to salvation, IN THE JUNGLE YOU HAVE MANY PATHS.
There's one sure path to the cliff, though, and that is being HUNGRY
toward nature.

So if you think we need a metaphor to live by, this is it. Actually it
doesn't contradict any of the laws of nature or science. And best of
all, it can get you out of harm's way, or solve conflicts where you
are ignored because of your lower status in the food chain.

Hey, WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE!

THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS:

"A perfect balance in the jungle is found when you are neither hungry
beast nor lunch"

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

TheTibetanMonkey

Mar 3, 2010, 6:48:17 PM3/3/10
On Mar 3, 3:16 pm, tunderbar <tdcom...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

> >http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

> Why do people always insist that we are above the animals - eg.
> "civilized". We are animals. We belong to mother nature (or the
> evolutionary tree if you prefer, or God for that matter, whichever
> philosophy tickles your nuts) just as much as any other animal. Just
> because we use tools and have developed language and some technology
> doesn't negate the fact that we are part of the natural world. We do
> what we do because we are what we are. That is how we are built.

> We look at exploiting our surroundings just like every other living
> creature does. No different, no better, no worse. There is no morality
> involved. A lion kills to eat. We kill to eat. Elephants will destroy
> trees for miles around to get enough to eat. Some animals will play
> with their prey when they become satiated. There is no morality
> involved. That is how the world is.- Hide quoted text -

Elephants and SUVs can be a very real threat to their environment...

But if you try to play it safe on our roads, you better drive
something big, right? Instead of our roads being smart, they are
Darwinistic, thus crating an arms race.

It seems like our roads can benefit from my metaphor. ;)