Today's yard-wale find

The Real Bev

Oct 1, 2011, 5:43:15 PM10/1/11
A Singer serger ("vintage", made of actual metal) for free -- the owner
said it was broken, and it was dirty from being in the garage for a long
time. The friend we gave it to cleaned it up, and it works perfectly.
Now she has a serger with black thread and one with white thread.

Aside: Windows 7 is a piece of shit. Does anybody know if there's an
option to make it look (and operate) like XP? I've got FF and TB 7
looking like older versions, which is a tremendous improvement over the
current appearance/operation.

Hard to imagine that a retro-grouch can long for the good old days of
2009 :-(

--
Cheers, Bev

It only takes 2 men to tile a bathroom
if you slice them thinly enough.

Gordon

Oct 1, 2011, 7:33:40 PM10/1/11
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in news:j681hk$57g$1@dont-
email.me:

> Aside: Windows 7 is a piece of shit. Does anybody know if there's an
> option to make it look (and operate) like XP? I've got FF and TB 7
> looking like older versions, which is a tremendous improvement over the
> current appearance/operation.
>
> Hard to imagine that a retro-grouch can long for the good old days of
> 2009 :-(

Not so hard to imagine. I, for one, do not think that MS is making
forward progress with Windows. After Win 98 it has been all downhill.

Have you thought about converting to Linux?

The Real Bev

Oct 1, 2011, 7:51:53 PM10/1/11
I meant 'yard-SALE!
:-)

Read the headers!

I have an XP machine for stuff that needs it (Canon scanner, tax
software). It seems a lot more user-friendly than W7. Configuration
seems more straightforward. If I was going to use W7 on a regular basis
I'd probably figure out how to whip it into some sort of acceptable
shape, but I don't see that happening in the near future.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Arguing on the internet is like running a race in the Special

Mac Cool

Oct 3, 2011, 11:22:47 PM10/3/11
The Real Bev:

> Aside: Windows 7 is a piece of shit.

I felt that way for a short while when forced to use it at work but
switched over the household computer to Win7 after I was used to it. I
really is a big improvement.

Rod Speed

Oct 4, 2011, 12:39:13 AM10/4/11
Mac Cool wrote
Yep, she's just another utterly mindless dinosaur.

Oct 5, 2011, 8:49:59 AM10/5/11

"Mac Cool" <M...@2cool.com> wrote in message
Not so much. I removed it from both of my machines and re-installed XP. Win
7 is NOT an improvement over anything.

The Real Bev

Oct 5, 2011, 11:29:04 AM10/5/11
On 10/05/2011 05:49 AM, h wrote:

> "Mac Cool"<M...@2cool.com> wrote:
>> The Real Bev:
>>
>>> Aside: Windows 7 is a piece of shit.
>>
>> I felt that way for a short while when forced to use it at work but
>> switched over the household computer to Win7 after I was used to it. I
>> really is a big improvement.
>
> Not so much. I removed it from both of my machines and re-installed XP. Win
> 7 is NOT an improvement over anything.

Never did find the actual network settings page, it just worked after we
installed the ethernet driver from the motherboard installation CD. I
don't know whether that's good or bad. It was certainly bad while we
were trying to diagnose the problem.

It's really annoying to be told that there's no ethernet driver, go
online to obtain one. "Keyboard not found, hit F1 to continue..."

--
Cheers, Bev
Always carry a length of fiber-optic cable in your pocket. Should

Rod Speed

Oct 5, 2011, 3:22:43 PM10/5/11
h wrote
> Mac Cool <M...@2cool.com> wrote
>> The Real Bev

>>> Aside: Windows 7 is a piece of shit.

You are a piece of shit.

>> I felt that way for a short while when forced to use it at work but
>> switched over the household computer to Win7 after I was used to it.
>> I really is a big improvement.

> Not so much.

Wrong.

> I removed it from both of my machines and re-installed XP.

More fool you.

> Win 7 is NOT an improvement over anything.

Wrong, as always.

Nick Naim

Oct 7, 2011, 3:40:08 AM10/7/11

True No need to upgrade from XP