The Neti Pot , nasal irrigation

VFW,

Jan 5, 2011, 9:33:42 AM1/5/11
enjoy clear nasal passages using an ancient method. Irrigate with a
saline solution and enjoy free breathing.
check it out! It's winter!
--
Karma, What a concept!

Metspitzer

Jan 5, 2011, 3:44:00 PM1/5/11
On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 06:33:42 -0800, "VFW," <geor...@toast.net>
wrote:

>enjoy clear nasal passages using an ancient method. Irrigate with a
>saline solution and enjoy free breathing.
>check it out! It's winter!

Anyone use these? It looks like it might cause the fluid to go into
your lungs if you are not careful.

Patricia Martin Steward

Jan 5, 2011, 7:42:03 PM1/5/11
On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:44:00 -0500, Metspitzer <kilo...@charter.net>
wrote:

At the very least, it seems like it could be pretty dang
uncomfortable. And I assume you have to do it over a sink, no?

--
We are becoming a country that believes the rich have earned their money but the well educated have not
earned their intellectual superiority. This leads to a nation that idolizes Kardashians.

Metspitzer

Jan 5, 2011, 8:46:33 PM1/5/11
On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 19:42:03 -0500, Patricia Martin Steward
<pat...@noteranews.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:44:00 -0500, Metspitzer <kilo...@charter.net>
>wrote:
>>On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 06:33:42 -0800, "VFW," <geor...@toast.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>enjoy clear nasal passages using an ancient method. Irrigate with a
>>>saline solution and enjoy free breathing.
>>>check it out! It's winter!
>>
>>Anyone use these? It looks like it might cause the fluid to go into
>>your lungs if you are not careful.
>
>At the very least, it seems like it could be pretty dang
>uncomfortable. And I assume you have to do it over a sink, no?

I haven't tried one yet. I have been tempted to, as my nose runs
constantly. After recovering from a blood disorder, one thing that
never went away was a mild, runny nose.

The Real Bev

Jan 6, 2011, 12:09:58 AM1/6/11
On 01/05/11 17:46, Metspitzer wrote:

> <pat...@noteranews.com> wrote:

>>Metspitzer<kilo...@charter.net> wrote:

>>>Anyone use these? It looks like it might cause the fluid to go into
>>>your lungs if you are not careful.
>>
>>At the very least, it seems like it could be pretty dang
>>uncomfortable. And I assume you have to do it over a sink, no?
>
> I haven't tried one yet. I have been tempted to, as my nose runs
> constantly. After recovering from a blood disorder, one thing that
> never went away was a mild, runny nose.

My sister-in-law and her husband have used theirs for several years and
love them.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Tough? We drink our urine and eat our dead!"

qwrt

Jan 6, 2011, 3:48:52 AM1/6/11
The Real Bev wrote:
> On 01/05/11 17:46, Metspitzer wrote:
>
>> <pat...@noteranews.com> wrote:

>>> At the very least, it seems like it could be pretty dang
>>> uncomfortable. And I assume you have to do it over a sink, no?
>>
>> I haven't tried one yet. I have been tempted to, as my nose runs
>> constantly. After recovering from a blood disorder, one thing that
>> never went away was a mild, runny nose.
>
> My sister-in-law and her husband have used theirs for several years
> and love them.

Some whip themselves too.

Vic Smith

Jan 6, 2011, 7:34:30 AM1/6/11
wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 06:33:42 -0800, "VFW," <geor...@toast.net>

Wife gets nasal problems - stuffed, headaches - so I picked one up for
her.
She used it a few times, then never again.
Thought anything it did was a mind trick from thinking it would do
something for you.
Placebo effect? Psychosomatic?
I tried it for the hell of it. In one nose hole, out the other.
Just hold your breath while doing it.
Only thing I noticed was the inside of my nose was wet.
No surprise there.
I'm not a doc, but if you think it might help you, buy one and try it.
They're cheap.
When I was a kid I had bouts of bronchitis. First time I had it in
the Navy I was in the middle of the Atlantic, and the corpsman
told me to just gargle salt water.
I did, it went away after a couple days, and I never had it again.
Might have been happenstance.
But there's a lot of treatments worse than salt water.

--Vic

James

Jan 6, 2011, 9:06:47 AM1/6/11
On Jan 6, 7:34 am, Vic Smith <thismailautodele...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:44:00 -0500, Metspitzer <kilow...@charter.net>
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 06:33:42 -0800, "VFW," <george...@toast.net>

> >wrote:
>
> >>enjoy clear nasal passages using an ancient method. Irrigate with a
> >>saline solution and enjoy free breathing.
> >>check it out! It's winter!
>
> >Anyone use these?  It looks like it might cause the fluid to go into
> >your lungs if you are not careful.
>
> Wife gets nasal problems - stuffed, headaches - so I picked one up for
> her.
> She used it a few times, then never again.
> Thought anything it did was a mind trick from thinking it would do
> something for you.
> Placebo effect?  Psychosomatic?
> I tried it for the hell of it.  In one nose hole, out the other.
> Just hold your breath while doing it.
> Only thing I noticed was the inside of my nose was wet.
> No surprise there.
> I'm not a doc, but if you think it might help you, buy one and try it.
> They're cheap.
> When I was a kid I had bouts of bronchitis.  First time I had it in
> the Navy I was in the middle of the Atlantic, and the corpsman
> told me to just gargle salt water.
> I did, it went away after a couple days, and I never had it again.
> Might have been happenstance.
> But there's a lot of treatments worse than salt water.

I bought the premixed saline solutions that are used for essentially
the same purpose.

I haven't used it this year yet, but last year I found it did help
clear my sinuses faster. Certainly cheaper than a lot of
medications.

VFW,

Jan 6, 2011, 10:39:07 AM1/6/11
In article <georgeswk-83EAA...@news.toast.net>,
"VFW," <geor...@toast.net> wrote:

> enjoy clear nasal passages using an ancient method. Irrigate with a
> saline solution and enjoy free breathing.
> check it out! It's winter!

If you want an extreme Neti experience try the Himalayan salt.
and acquired taste.
Otherwise , I use our Neti Pot whenever congestion seems to be coming
on. It's great! And to think a RN turned us onto it.
thanks, Joan .

Lou

Jan 9, 2011, 1:06:49 PM1/9/11

"Metspitzer" <kilo...@charter.net> wrote in message

Drinking a glass of water could do that, if you're not careful.

In my experience, a netti pot is very effective, providing at least
temporary relief of nasal/sinus congestion. I've never had even the
slightest hint of fluid getting anywhere near my lungs, the possibility has
never occurred to me. It can be kind of gross, depending on what washes out
of your passages, but the point is to get that stuff out of your body.
There are a number of videos of you-tube showing the right way to use one.

Lou

Jan 9, 2011, 1:08:20 PM1/9/11

"Patricia Martin Steward" <pat...@noteranews.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:44:00 -0500, Metspitzer <kilo...@charter.net>
> wrote:
> >On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 06:33:42 -0800, "VFW," <geor...@toast.net>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>enjoy clear nasal passages using an ancient method. Irrigate with a
> >>saline solution and enjoy free breathing.
> >>check it out! It's winter!
> >
> >Anyone use these? It looks like it might cause the fluid to go into
> >your lungs if you are not careful.
>
> At the very least, it seems like it could be pretty dang
> uncomfortable. And I assume you have to do it over a sink, no?

It's not really uncomfortable at all, though the sensation is a little
unusual. Use over a sink, or in the shower, or I suppose you could go
outside and dribble on the grass.

Lou

Jan 9, 2011, 1:09:49 PM1/9/11

"Metspitzer" <kilo...@charter.net> wrote in message

For a cold, it temporarily stops a runny nose for several hours, at least
for me. If the cause of your runny nose is due to something else, you'll
have to try it to see if it'll help.

Lou

Jan 9, 2011, 1:14:16 PM1/9/11

"Vic Smith" <thismaila...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:44:00 -0500, Metspitzer <kilo...@charter.net>
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 06:33:42 -0800, "VFW," <geor...@toast.net>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>enjoy clear nasal passages using an ancient method. Irrigate with a
> >>saline solution and enjoy free breathing.
> >>check it out! It's winter!
> >
> >Anyone use these? It looks like it might cause the fluid to go into
> >your lungs if you are not careful.
>
> Wife gets nasal problems - stuffed, headaches - so I picked one up for
> her.
> She used it a few times, then never again.
> Thought anything it did was a mind trick from thinking it would do
> something for you.
> Placebo effect? Psychosomatic?

Personally, I think there's more to it than placebo effect. It makes sense
that if you have a cold/flu, flushing virus laden mucus out of your body
would help. But even if it's just due to the placebo effect, recent
research has shown the placebo effect makes people feel better, even when
they know they're taking a placebo.

Rod Speed

Jan 9, 2011, 4:32:39 PM1/9/11
Lou wrote
> Vic Smith <thismaila...@comcast.net> wrote
>> Metspitzer <kilo...@charter.net> wrote
>>> VFW <geor...@toast.net> wrote

>>> Anyone use these? It looks like it might cause the fluid to go into
>>> your lungs if you are not careful.

>> Wife gets nasal problems - stuffed, headaches - so I picked one up for her.
>> She used it a few times, then never again.
>> Thought anything it did was a mind trick from thinking it would do
>> something for you.
>> Placebo effect? Psychosomatic?

> Personally, I think there's more to it than placebo effect.
> It makes sense that if you have a cold/flu, flushing virus
> laden mucus out of your body would help.

There is much more virus that you cant wash out.

And you dont even know that what you can wash out is virus laden.

> But even if it's just due to the placebo effect, recent
> research has shown the placebo effect makes people
> feel better, even when they know they're taking a placebo.

Only the fools. Yes, there are lots of those.

VFW,

Jan 15, 2011, 11:54:12 PM1/15/11
In article <igctdd$vr6$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Lou" <lpo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

After using a Neti Pot for years. well in the winter over years. I can
say it's great! and economical. I use it at any hint of congestion.
Enjoy!