Making low cost hand cleaner

john royce

Oct 19, 2009, 7:00:23 AM10/19/09
Recently there was a television program giving tips on how to save money.

One piece of advice was to save the dispensers of liquid hand soap, and
refill them with 'bubble bath'. Which did the same job at a fraction of the
cost.

What I'm wondering is, what could I add to make it 'anti-bacterial' and how
much of it to add to what volume of bubble bath?

Lino expert

Oct 19, 2009, 7:54:20 AM10/19/09

How about Tea Tree oil?
One source on the web says 4ml to 200ml soap, but it would be worth
poking about for more info.
(Usual caveats about not using it if pregnant or breastfeeding - I'm
guessing from your name that you're neither, but just in case any of
the users might be).

Bruce

Oct 19, 2009, 8:12:03 AM10/19/09

Dettol might be suitable. As a capful is enough for a bath, you
wouldn't need very much.

NT

Oct 19, 2009, 8:17:12 AM10/19/09

There's an enormous list of safe cheap microbicides, take your pick.
I'm not sure its a healthy practice though, the idea that these washes
mean less bugs means less risk is significantly too simplistic.

NT

Dave Liquorice

Oct 19, 2009, 8:20:25 AM10/19/09
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:00:23 +0100, john royce wrote:

> What I'm wondering is, what could I add to make it 'anti-bacterial' and
> how much of it to add to what volume of bubble bath?

We simply dilute the normal anti-bacterial hand wash by at least 50%
with water(*). You don't need anything like the quantity of neat hand
wash that a normal press of the dispenser produces.

Last lot I did was 50% but I think it could take more dilution maybe
up to 60 or 70% total and still be effective as a cleaner.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Al

Oct 19, 2009, 9:45:39 AM10/19/09
On Oct 19, 8:20 am, "Dave Liquorice" <allsortsnotthis...@howhill.com>
wrote:

Of course there is nothing that says you can't simply press the
dispenser half way and get the right amount. Then you avoid the
dilution processing and it lasts twice as long before refilling. This
only works for thinking adults as children love to press any dispenser
multiple times.

The Natural Philosopher

Oct 19, 2009, 10:10:10 AM10/19/09
I used to use washing up liquid and paraffin to make swarfega..

Mike Clarke

Oct 19, 2009, 10:36:29 AM10/19/09
Dave Liquorice wrote:

> We simply dilute the normal anti-bacterial hand wash by at least 50%
> with water(*). You don't need anything like the quantity of neat hand
> wash that a normal press of the dispenser produces.

Depends how you define "normal". My normal press is only about quarter way
down instead of the full travel the manufacturers would like us to use.
That way a bottle of Asda's cheapest handwash lasts for ages.

--
Mike Clarke

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 19, 2009, 1:16:37 PM10/19/09
On Oct 19, 7:00 am, "john royce" <blues...@mail.invalid> wrote:
> Recently there was a television program giving tips on how to save money.
>
> One piece of advice was to save the dispensers of liquid hand soap, and
> refill them with 'bubble bath'. Which did the same job at a fraction of the
> cost.

I use dishwashing liquid, which I already have on hand.

> What I'm wondering is, what could I add to make it 'anti-bacterial' and how
> much of it to add to what volume of bubble bath?

Soap is already as antibacterial as any healthy person needs. It's
more
about technique. See http://www.cdc.gov/cleanhands/ for tips.

Cindy Hamilton

Owain

Oct 19, 2009, 1:43:00 PM10/19/09
On 19 Oct, 12:00, "john royce" <blues...@mail.invalid> wrote:
> One piece of advice was to save the dispensers of liquid hand soap, and
> refill them with 'bubble bath'. Which did the same job at a fraction of the
> cost.
> What I'm wondering is, what could I add to make it 'anti-bacterial' and how
> much of it to add to what volume of bubble bath?

Get a small cheap spray bottle (something like 'Neutradol' IIRC) and
fill it with ordinary thin bleach. Once you've washed your hands with
detergent a spray of bleach and rub dry should disinfect.

The nice clean smell of bleach will also take away the odour of cheap
bubble bath.

Owain

Rod Speed

Oct 19, 2009, 2:17:44 PM10/19/09
john royce wrote:

> Recently there was a television program giving tips on how to save money.

> One piece of advice was to save the dispensers of liquid hand soap,
> and refill them with 'bubble bath'. Which did the same job at a
> fraction of the cost.

Its even cheaper to use dish washing liquid.

> What I'm wondering is, what could I add to make it 'anti-bacterial'

You shouldnt be doing that. That breeds resistant bacteria.

> and how much of it to add to what volume of bubble bath?

Zero, nada, ziltch.

PeterC

Oct 19, 2009, 2:55:39 PM10/19/09
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:16:37 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Oct 19, 7:00�am, "john royce" <blues...@mail.invalid> wrote:
>> Recently there was a television program giving tips on how to save money.
>>
>> One piece of advice was to save the dispensers of liquid hand soap, and
>> refill them with 'bubble bath'. Which did the same job at a fraction of the
>> cost.
>
> I use dishwashing liquid, which I already have on hand.

I use Ecover washing-up liquid as a general soap for skin, hair and clothes
when I'm away from home, as 150ml will last for 2 - 3 weeks. I wouldn't use
'ordinary' w-u liquid as it's too harsh' Ecover's pH is about 5.5. In the
late '80s the H&S sheet advised not to 'drink too much of it' under
Ingestion!

For general handwashing, foam/buble bath is good, doesn't attack the skin
and, used neat, is almost as good as the 'engineering' hand-cleansers - and
can be used on damp hands.

>> What I'm wondering is, what could I add to make it 'anti-bacterial' and how
>> much of it to add to what volume of bubble bath?
>
> Soap is already as antibacterial as any healthy person needs. It's
> more
> about technique. See http://www.cdc.gov/cleanhands/ for tips.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Apparently, thorough 'washing' in cold, running water (i.e. rubbing hard
and all over - hands, that is!) is more effective at removing bacteria than
cursory 'washing' with soap and water.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

PeterC

Oct 19, 2009, 2:56:55 PM10/19/09

The correct length/diameter of plastic tube, split and clipped round the
stem of the plunger, will limit that.

Message has been deleted

The Medway Handyman

Oct 19, 2009, 5:03:02 PM10/19/09
john royce wrote:
> Recently there was a television program giving tips on how to save
> money.
> One piece of advice was to save the dispensers of liquid hand soap,
> and refill them with 'bubble bath'. Which did the same job at a
> fraction of the cost.

How pathetic is that? You can buy a brand name liquid hand soap for under
a quid. Its not worth the thinking time for the money you could save.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Mike P

Oct 19, 2009, 5:24:42 PM10/19/09
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:16:37 -0700, Cindy Hamilton proclaimed:

> On Oct 19, 7:00 am, "john royce" <blues...@mail.invalid> wrote:
>> Recently there was a television program giving tips on how to save
>> money.
>>
>> One piece of advice was to save the dispensers of liquid hand soap, and
>> refill them with 'bubble bath'. Which did the same job at a fraction of
>> the cost.
>
> I use dishwashing liquid, which I already have on hand.

I use fairy liquid with a liberal helping of granulated sugar (1tbsp or
so) on my hands if they are really dirty. Works a treat..

Mike P

Steve Firth

Oct 19, 2009, 5:49:26 PM10/19/09
john royce <blue...@mail.invalid> wrote:

> Recently there was a television program giving tips on how to save money.
>
> One piece of advice was to save the dispensers of liquid hand soap, and
> refill them with 'bubble bath'. Which did the same job at a fraction of the
> cost.
>
> What I'm wondering is, what could I add to make it 'anti-bacterial'

Bleach, it kills 99% of all known germs.

> and how much of it to add to what volume of bubble bath?

How pale do you want to end up?

Seriously, forget it and don't buy "antibacterial" washes/wipes etc.
They are a marketing gimic and don't do anything for you that a good
wash wouldn't do.

Derek Geldard

Oct 19, 2009, 9:12:19 PM10/19/09
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 21:03:02 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
<davi...@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>john royce wrote:
>> Recently there was a television program giving tips on how to save
>> money.
>> One piece of advice was to save the dispensers of liquid hand soap,
>> and refill them with 'bubble bath'. Which did the same job at a
>> fraction of the cost.
>
>How pathetic is that? You can buy a brand name liquid hand soap for under
>a quid. Its not worth the thinking time for the money you could save.

Especially considering how much gets spilt decanting and refilling
bottles and the grief and waste of materials cleaning up.

If folks really are that short of money I'd bet a pound against a
piece of shit that Superdrug will do an own brand.

Here's a really revolutionary idea. Buy a block of the very best
quality neutral soap (Oilatum, or Simple Soap, etc. no cosmetic crap )
at a cost of about �2.50 and use that. I did in January and it's only
about 25% used. For stubborn black grease I use a tiny drop of 100%
branded washing up liquid finally washing again with the toilet soap.

Derek

Al

Oct 19, 2009, 9:23:59 PM10/19/09

Any time you aerosol bleach, you are creating a health risk. That
smell of bleach you enjoy means chlorine is getting deep into your
lungs. Chlorine is a very reactive chemical. Too much and you will end
up with chemical pneumonia. In small doses you just receive minor
chronic lung damage. This use of bleach is ill advised. I know there
are bathroom products that include such chemicals. I don't want to
wear a respirator every time I wash my hands.

sr

Oct 19, 2009, 9:31:45 PM10/19/09
Bleach is a good but I have ruin so many outfits, no matter how careful.
Still use solution for sideboards, etc
I stumbled on a solution recently
Since my father's trip to the hospital for a procedure, which he got, and
also got MRSA infection, I had to use disinfectant hand cleanser. I used so
much that it got to be expensive. In the cupboards I found Aloe gel I had
bought at a liquidation store. In that I added alcohol, making the solution
a germ cleanser
"Steve Firth" <%steve%@malloc.co.uk> wrote in message

Coffee's For Closers

Oct 20, 2009, 12:23:22 AM10/20/09
In article <3ff03056-022a-4f6a-a121-
45db54...@p4g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
albu...@mailinator.com says...

> On Oct 19, 8:20 am, "Dave Liquorice" <allsortsnotthis...@howhill.com>
> wrote:

> > We simply dilute the normal anti-bacterial hand wash by at least 50%
> > with water(*). You don't need anything like the quantity of neat hand
> > wash that a normal press of the dispenser produces.
> >
> > Last lot I did was 50% but I think it could take more dilution maybe
> > up to 60 or 70% total and still be effective as a cleaner.

> Of course there is nothing that says you can't simply press the
> dispenser half way and get the right amount. Then you avoid the
> dilution processing and it lasts twice as long before refilling. This
> only works for thinking adults as children love to press any dispenser
> multiple times.

I remember when I was a child, and my family first switched from
bar to liquid soap. I would occasionally pound the nozzle down
quickly, to see how far I could shoot the soap across the
bathroom. Kids are easily amused.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Dave Liquorice

Oct 20, 2009, 3:17:10 AM10/20/09
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 06:45:39 -0700 (PDT), Al wrote:

>> We simply dilute the normal anti-bacterial hand wash by at least
50%
>> with water(*). You don't need anything like the quantity of neat
hand
>> wash that a normal press of the dispenser produces.
>

> Of course there is nothing that says you can't simply press the
> dispenser half way and get the right amount.

True but even a 1/4 press gives you too much, metering to small
quantities is even harder.

> Then you avoid the dilution processing ...

Take old empty dispenser, transfer 50% of the contents of a new
dispenser to the old, top both up with water, invert a few times, 5
mins at the *very* most.

> This only works for thinking adults as children love to press any
> dispenser multiple times.

We have kids. Even though they are "sensible" asking them to meter
out less than 1/2 a push would be beyound their co-ordination. The
plastic sleeve idea is interesting but it would take much longer to
find, split and fit suitable bit of plastic tube. I certainly can't
think of anything I have that would be suitable. Bear in mind that
I'm of the "If I haven't found a use for it yet, I've not kept it
long enough" school or thought.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Stuart Noble

Oct 20, 2009, 8:59:56 AM10/20/09

Me too. Picked that tip up on a building site many moons ago. Always
plenty of white sugar available in the site hut in them days

John

Oct 20, 2009, 3:32:52 PM10/20/09

"Derek Geldard" <im...@miniac.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Frightening to use the Gents toilets and see how many men don't wash their
hands - even when leaving the crapper. Noticed in supermarkets and pubs.
Ugh!

Would be great to be brave enough to follow them back to their female
companion and point it out to them!

The Real Bev

Oct 20, 2009, 10:22:05 PM10/20/09
Stuart Noble wrote:

> Mike P wrote:

I would guess that something called bubble bath would cost more than something
called dishwashing liquid.

>>> I use dishwashing liquid, which I already have on hand.
>>
>> I use fairy liquid with a liberal helping of granulated sugar (1tbsp or
>> so) on my hands if they are really dirty. Works a treat..

Fairy liquid?

> Me too. Picked that tip up on a building site many moons ago. Always
> plenty of white sugar available in the site hut in them days

The sugar is used as an abrasive?

I bought a gallon of Permatex Fast Orange hand-cleaner with pumice for a buck
at a yard sale a couple of years ago.

--
Cheers, Bev
"We need to cut more slack for the stupid; after all, somebody has

The Real Bev

Oct 20, 2009, 10:27:38 PM10/20/09
John wrote:

> Frightening to use the Gents toilets and see how many men don't wash their
> hands - even when leaving the crapper. Noticed in supermarkets and pubs.
> Ugh!

From some of the gents' crappers I've seen, most hands would be cleaner before
using the sink than after unless there's some magical way of dispensing green
soap and turning on a faucet without actually touching it.

Does HRM still put that wax-paper-like toilet paper in the public loos? You
know, the stuff with 'Property of the Queen' printed in red on each sheet.

> Would be great to be brave enough to follow them back to their female
> companion and point it out to them!

Thereby opening you up to the accusation of hanging around men's rooms and
ogling the users. Probably not a good idea.

Bob F

Oct 21, 2009, 10:31:07 AM10/21/09
Dave Liquorice wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 06:45:39 -0700 (PDT), Al wrote:
>
>>> We simply dilute the normal anti-bacterial hand wash by at least 50%
>>> with water(*). You don't need anything like the quantity of neat
>>> hand wash that a normal press of the dispenser produces.
>>
>> Of course there is nothing that says you can't simply press the
>> dispenser half way and get the right amount.
>
> True but even a 1/4 press gives you too much, metering to small
> quantities is even harder.

I've never had a problem getting 1 drop out, if that's what I want.

Bob F

Oct 21, 2009, 10:32:20 AM10/21/09

Which means that the $6 gallon of hand soap lasts for years.

Bob F

Oct 21, 2009, 10:43:43 AM10/21/09
Steve Firth wrote:
> john royce <blue...@mail.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Recently there was a television program giving tips on how to save
>> money.
>>
>> One piece of advice was to save the dispensers of liquid hand soap,
>> and refill them with 'bubble bath'. Which did the same job at a
>> fraction of the cost.
>>
>> What I'm wondering is, what could I add to make it 'anti-bacterial'
>
> Bleach, it kills 99% of all known germs.

As I understand it, soap neutralizes the disinfecting power of chlorine bleach.
So mixing won't work.

Camp kitchens. Soap tub, rinse tub, then bleach tub. Don't get soap in the
bleach tub. Air dry for sanitizing time.

PeterC

Oct 21, 2009, 1:29:40 PM10/21/09

Most pumps on these bottles are of poor quality as there's only 1 valve, so
some travel and speed on the return is needed to draw up the soap. Small
presses don't allow the ball to seat.
I'd love to get some 2-valve pumps that would fit bottles but I've never
seen any.

Man at B&Q

Oct 22, 2009, 6:07:37 AM10/22/09
On Oct 19, 12:00 pm, "john royce" <blues...@mail.invalid> wrote:
> Recently there was a television program giving tips on how to save money.
>
> One piece of advice was to save the dispensers of liquid hand soap, and
> refill them with 'bubble bath'. Which did the same job at a fraction of the
> cost.
>
> What I'm wondering is, what could I add to make it 'anti-bacterial' and how

> much of it to add to what volume of bubble bath?

Why would you want to? A few germs are good for you, especially if you
have young children whose immune systems need training.

MBQ

Grimly Curmudgeon

Oct 31, 2009, 8:17:14 PM10/31/09
drugs began to take hold. I remember "John" <Who90...@ntlworld.com>
saying something like:

>Frightening to use the Gents toilets and see how many men don't wash their
>hands - even when leaving the crapper. Noticed in supermarkets and pubs.
>Ugh!

No shortage of dirty bastards in the world.
I've noticed a surprising uptake of the hand-wash IPA gel that was left
on food counters recently, in the swine flu hysteria.