Lentil soup mistake

anthona

Sep 7, 2011, 7:21:11 PM9/7/11
As i was making lentil soup, i got a phone call and told my husband to
pour a 1/4 cup of red wine into the pot....turned out that he had put
1/4 of red wine vinegar. Apparently, vinegar does not smooth out as
wine does, evaporating the acidity. Does anyone know how to neutralize
that distinct flavor of vinegar or is it a lost cause and have to be
thrown out?

Gary Heston

Sep 7, 2011, 10:58:14 PM9/7/11
In article <cbe81a49-3083-489e...@j1g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
Perhaps you could add baking soda in small doses, say 1/4 teaspoon at
at time, to reduce the acidity.

Alternatively, you could make another batch or two and combine the sour
one with them to dilute the acidity.

Gary

Rod Speed

Sep 8, 2011, 4:52:40 PM9/8/11
anthona wrote:

> As i was making lentil soup, i got a phone call and told my husband to
> pour a 1/4 cup of red wine into the pot....turned out that he had put
> 1/4 of red wine vinegar. Apparently, vinegar does not smooth out as
> wine does, evaporating the acidity.

You dont evaporate the acidity with red wine, it isnt acid in the first place.

> Does anyone know how to neutralize that distinct flavor of vinegar

Nope.

> or is it a lost cause and have to be thrown out?

You can certainly neutralise the acidity with bicarb etc but that wont necessarily
get rid of the distinctive taste of the acetic acid that is what vinegar mostly is.

John Weiss

Sep 8, 2011, 6:07:45 PM9/8/11
Rod Speed wrote:

> You can certainly neutralise the acidity with bicarb etc but that
> wont necessarily get rid of the distinctive taste of the acetic acid
> that is what vinegar mostly is.

Vinegar is mostly water. It's about 4% acetic acid.

anthona

Sep 9, 2011, 9:23:40 AM9/9/11
The 1/4 tsp of baking soda worked just fine...thanks to Gary Heston

Rod Speed

Sep 9, 2011, 8:27:29 PM9/9/11
John Weiss wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> anthona wrote

>>> As i was making lentil soup, i got a phone call and told my husband to
>>> pour a 1/4 cup of red wine into the pot....turned out that he had put
>>> 1/4 of red wine vinegar. Apparently, vinegar does not smooth out as
>>> wine does, evaporating the acidity.

>> You dont evaporate the acidity with red wine, it isnt acid in the first place.

>>> Does anyone know how to neutralize that distinct flavor of vinegar

>> Nope.

>>> or is it a lost cause and have to be thrown out?

Yes, but thats clearly where the taste comes from.

Nick Naim

Sep 10, 2011, 3:01:05 AM9/10/11

"anthona" <harri...@aol.com> wrote in message
eh come a long way from 1929 havnt we.