ask Straight Dope; Cecil

A VFW

Feb 1, 2010, 3:18:10 PM2/1/10
Dear Cecil:

I have a theory that, as a nation, we could save about 10 per cent of
our gasoline consumption by the simple expedient of making sure our
tires are fully inflated. My questions are: (1) What is the relationship
between underinflation and gas mileage deterioration (e.g., 20 percent
underinflation reduces mileage 10 percent, etc.)? (2) What is the
trade-off between tire inflation and tire life? (3) Do the auto
manufacturers in fact specify too low an inflation level for tires in
order to soften the ride?

for the answer ; visit Straight Dope.com

Al

Feb 1, 2010, 4:47:07 PM2/1/10

Or go straight to the article at
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/225/could-we-conserve-gasoline-by-putting-more-air-in-our-tires

I keep my tires on the high side so I can carry a bigger load. There
are various strategies that can be played with tire pressure. Slight
pulling from wheel alignment can be offset with a couple pounds
difference in side to side air pressure. We have severe pot hole
problems here. If the tire pressure is too low, a tire can be ripped
off the rim. If the pressure is too high on some vehicles, the shock
of a hole can damage the suspension more easily. So drive
moderately,know your vehicle, watch for holes, and keep the pressure
on the high side