Which city has the most advanced transportation, NYC or London?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Feb 26, 2011, 10:40:36 AM2/26/11
(Notice people from the Outback are not welcomed here. They can only
listen and learn)

On Feb 26, 9:34 am, dr_jeff <u...@msu.edu> wrote:
> On 2/26/11 9:30 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, aka Comandante
>

> Banana wrote:

> >> Market forces. Unfortunately, that is the way it is. The oil companies
> >> are not in business to give you the lowest prices. They are in business
> >> to make money. Period. That's the American way.
>
> >> There is nothing to apologize for. If you don't like it, don't buy their
> >> products.
>
> >> Jeff
>
> > If you don't like it ride a bike... err, no place to ride a bike.
>
> > Fuck!
>
> In NYC, there are plenty of places to ride a bike. Or one can take a
> subway or bus.
>
> Jeff

Yeah, NYC, the American dream for every other city out there. What do
we do if we don't live in NYC?

Do they have bike facilities though? I believe London is far more
advanced in every aspect. Let's talk about it.

To begin with (according to my expert sources) London imposes a
restriction on cars coming to the city. So those NYC stupid traffic
jams have no place (or should have no place) in London.

Secondly London has this huge bicycle program --just like the city of
Miami Beach-- perhaps without the drivers looking for trouble.

One question is whether London allows bikes on sidewalks, as it is
common in Banana Republics, where pedestrians are simply ignored.
Well, we have some overview here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=necp4rwTNNY

http://webspawner.com/users/BIKEFORPEACE

Opus

Feb 27, 2011, 3:45:35 PM2/27/11
On Feb 26, 9:40 am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the

London's reputation greatly exceeds its actual facilities, many if not
most of the bike lanes in London are less than 3' wide, stop without
warning, and frequently have cars parked quite legally in them. NYC
bike lanes have the parked cars problem, but at least in NYC it is
technically illegal to park in a bike lane. If you look at lines on a
map London has better facilities, but if you look at lines on the
streets NYC has it by a mile (1.6 km). See http://www.crapwalthamforest.blogspot.com/
and http://bristolcars.blogspot.com/ for actual onsite depictions of
real London bike facilities.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Feb 27, 2011, 5:50:33 PM2/27/11
> streets NYC has it by a mile (1.6 km). Seehttp://www.crapwalthamforest.blogspot.com/

> and  http://bristolcars.blogspot.com/ for actual onsite depictions of
> real London bike facilities.

I don't understand... How long are NYC's bike lanes compared to
London's?

It's difficult to rate by the number of miles and perhaps the actual
respect for cyclists is the ultimate measure of success. And where's
the enforcement in all of this?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Feb 27, 2011, 6:13:57 PM2/27/11
Well, I went hunting for information in the above the links and came
out with this revolutionary declaration. It seems like whatever bike
facilities they throw at us have been either "sabotaged" or simply
have been the product of stupid design:

The People's Cycling Front of South Gloucestershire is online!

The People's Cycling Front of South Gloucestershire, henceforth known
as The Cycling Front, is now online.

We shall fight the council for bike paths and lanes that are usable,
that do not have bollards and pillars in the middle of them.

Bike paths that do not have South Gloucestershire council vans in the
middle of them.

Bike paths that do not abandon you at roundabout junctions when it
gets too hard for whatever idiot designs bicycle routes in the
council, they throw their hands in the air and say "somehow they will
get across alive (probably)."

We are a group of people who work in secret, who do not waste our time
being patronised by the council at their so-called cycle forum
meetings.

We will act on the streets, to achieve our dream "bicycle paths that
people from the netherlands won't laugh at"

What will we do? We shall embarrass the council into action, by
showing the world what pretends to be a cycle city infrastructure, and
taking into our own hands to fix what they are clearly incapable of
caring about or fixing.

We shall overthrow the council, if that is what it takes!

To South Gloucestershire Council we say this: fear us

***

If the Dutch came here, they would find our bike facilities very funny
indeed. ;)