cheap flashlight catches fire (WTH?!! How can something as simple as a flashlight be screwed up this badly)

1 view

zeez

Oct 24, 2009, 2:13:40 PM10/24/09
http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/10/01/halloween-flashlights-ignite-target-pulls-them-from-shelves-aft/

When you put a battery in a flashlight the flashlight shouldn't start
burning. One my son brought home from a birthday party did.

It came from Target -- three for $1 in a package marketing them for
Halloween. I dropped in a new Energizer battery, screwed on the top
and the flashlight got warm right away. I shut off the flashlight and
placed it on the kitchen table. A few minutes later a sizzling sound
could be heard that we couldn't identify. The burning smell quickly
led us to the flashlight, which was now smoking and melting from the
heat. I grabbed an oven mitt, grabbed the flashlight and went out on
the balcony and shoved it into a pot of dirt.

woodveery

Oct 24, 2009, 11:54:37 PM10/24/09

My 4 year old was given a small flashlight from a local autoparts
chain. A week later my son turned it on and off while I was driving
and informed me it was on fire in his hand. It was spewing a sizeable
cloud of smoke and caused a near accident as I tried to get it away
from him and out of the car. About 25% melted. I now stay away from
any unknown electronics.

Rod Speed

Oct 25, 2009, 12:44:48 AM10/25/09
woodveery wrote:

So you posted that using chiselled stone eh ?

dejablues

Oct 25, 2009, 1:13:33 AM10/25/09

"zeez" <blinking...@gmail.com> found this lame story on the internet
and pretended it really happened to her , and even wxpected readers would
click on a link called walletpop!?!?! WTF!

so "
is message

> http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/10/01/halloween-flashlights-ignite-target-pulls-them-from-shelves-aft/
>
> When you put a battery in a flashlight the flashlight shouldn't start
> burning. One my son brought home from a birthday party did.

wahhhhhhh

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Oct 25, 2009, 2:05:43 AM10/25/09
In article
<0812c6b8-b2f4-4289-a2f0-0a832c428742@m2
0g2000vbp.googlegroups.com>,
woodveery <wood...@gmail.com> wrote:

or test them first?

Message has been deleted

Society

Oct 24, 2009, 4:29:10 PM10/24/09
Remember the USENET wisdom:

Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

RickMerrill

Oct 26, 2009, 12:51:01 PM10/26/09
I'll bet it is a hallogen bulb: they can get VERY hot very quickly.

That's how...

Don Klipstein

Oct 26, 2009, 3:56:57 PM10/26/09
In article <hc4k1j$ei6$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, RickMerrill wrote:

>I'll bet it is a hallogen bulb: they can get VERY hot very quickly.
>
>That's how...

It was said earlier in this thread that these are extremely cheap
flashlights, 3 for a dollar IIRC. I doubt flashlights that cheap have
halogen bulbs. It sounds to me like a short.

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Rod Speed

Oct 26, 2009, 4:30:20 PM10/26/09
RickMerrill wrote:

> I'll bet it is a hallogen bulb: they can get VERY hot very quickly.

> That's how...

MUCH more likely it just shorted the battery.

Ed Stasiak

Oct 27, 2009, 12:39:56 PM10/27/09
> zeez

> When you put a battery in a flashlight the flashlight shouldn't start
> burning. One my son brought home from a birthday party did.

Free trade: Quality products at a cheaper price!
what could go wrong?….

Bert Hyman

Oct 27, 2009, 1:08:10 PM10/27/09
In
Ed Stasiak <esta...@att.net> wrote:

>> zeez
>>
>> When you put a battery in a flashlight the flashlight shouldn't start
>> burning. One my son brought home from a birthday party did.
>
> Free trade: Quality products at a cheaper price!

Free trade doesn't guarantee either quality or price, merely your
freedom to choose what you buy, and from whom.

> what could go wrong?�.

Your ability to tell that what you're buying is junk.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN be...@iphouse.com

RickMerrill

Oct 27, 2009, 4:03:59 PM10/27/09
Rod Speed wrote:
> RickMerrill wrote:
>
>> I'll bet it is a halogen bulb: they can get VERY hot very quickly.

>> That's how...
>
> MUCH more likely it just shorted the battery.

Certainly possible but I do have a halogen bulb in a BIG lantern
and even it gets pretty durn hot. Obviously something in the OP's
lamp was flamable, so the question is what-the-heck would the put in
a flashlight that could ignite and at what temperature would it flash?

Rod Speed

Oct 27, 2009, 6:38:06 PM10/27/09
RickMerrill wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> RickMerrill wrote

>>> I'll bet it is a halogen bulb: they can get VERY hot very quickly.

>>> That's how...

>> MUCH more likely it just shorted the battery.

> Certainly possible

In fact much more likely given that it was a very cheap torch.

> but I do have a halogen bulb in a BIG lantern and even it gets pretty durn hot.

You dont even know that his torch has a halogen bulb.

In fact its unlikely that it does given that its a very cheap torch.

> Obviously something in the OP's lamp was flamable, so the question is what-the-heck would the put in a flashlight that
> could ignite

You havent established that it did ignite.

> and at what temperature would it flash?

You havent established that it did flash.

RickMerrill

Oct 28, 2009, 1:50:49 PM10/28/09

Would you settle for "catches fire"?

Rod Speed

Oct 28, 2009, 2:07:29 PM10/28/09

>>> Certainly possible

Nar, only wimps do stuff like that.

zeez

Nov 9, 2009, 4:34:04 AM11/9/09

RickMerrill wrote:
> I'll bet it is a hallogen bulb: they can get VERY hot very quickly.

Look at where the flashlight melted. Flashlights are extremely simple
to make, so I wonder how the managed to foul up the design.

Rod Speed

Nov 9, 2009, 12:21:49 PM11/9/09

Shorts are even easier in a cheap and nasty 'design', child.