Auto roadside service insurance

KenK

Dec 20, 2014, 8:58:33 AM12/20/14
Which is better? AAA or AARP - they are very close to same price?

TIA

ItsJoan NotJoann

Dec 21, 2014, 4:49:57 AM12/21/14
On Saturday, December 20, 2014 7:58:33 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:

> Which is better? AAA or AARP - they are very close to same price?
>
> TIA

I've got AAA but have never used it so that's really no help to you. I try to stay away from anything endorsed by AARP.

21bla...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2014, 2:54:52 PM12/22/14
i had AAA for around 15 years
used it once for a flat tire

no longer have any roadside service
[with Amica insurance now]

it might be ok for elderly persons, like my mother, or maybe an older cars?
not sure

marc

The Real Bev

Dec 23, 2014, 1:28:45 PM12/23/14
Ask how much it costs to have your car towed if you don't have AAA.

--
Cheers, Bev
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."

Bob F

Dec 23, 2014, 9:06:00 PM12/23/14
The Real Bev wrote:
> On 12/22/2014 11:54 AM, 21bla...@gmail.com wrote:
>> i had AAA for around 15 years
>> used it once for a flat tire
>>
>> no longer have any roadside service
>> [with Amica insurance now]
>>
>> it might be ok for elderly persons, like my mother, or maybe an
>> older cars? not sure
>
> Ask how much it costs to have your car towed if you don't have AAA.

And how long has it been since you had your car towed? And how much does the
insurance cost?

The Real Bev

Dec 23, 2014, 9:20:47 PM12/23/14
$90/year for 4 tows of 100 miles each. Last time I asked one of the AAA
drivers (maybe 5 years ago) it was $7/mile. I had to have it towed a
little over a year ago when a sidewall blew out and I couldn't find the
wheel locks. I got it towed to the tire place who broke off the locks.
My mom had her wheels stolen even WITH the locks.

--
Cheers, Bev
What if there were no hypothetical questions?

john james

Dec 26, 2014, 1:15:40 AM12/26/14

"The Real Bev" <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 12/23/2014 06:05 PM, Bob F wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> Ask how much it costs to have your car towed if you don't have AAA.
>>
>> And how long has it been since you had your car towed? And how much does
>> the
>> insurance cost?
>
> $90/year for 4 tows of 100 miles each. Last time I asked one of the AAA
> drivers (maybe 5 years ago) it was $7/mile. I had to have it towed a
> little over a year ago when a sidewall blew out and I couldn't find the
> wheel locks. I got it towed to the tire place who broke off the locks.

Lot cheaper to ensure that you don't lose the wheel locks.

The Real Bev

Dec 26, 2014, 2:10:21 AM12/26/14
I found them much later in a place I thought I had searched. I keep
meaning to give them to the tire store in case they can be used on some
other hapless soul's wheels. I KNEW I'd seen the damn 'key', I just
couldn't remember where.

The car is a 1988 and has a few issues -- like the computer that tries
to kill me every once in a while. It's worth the relatively small price
to know that I can get a tow home (or to the one reliable repairguy I
know) from anywhere I'm likely to be -- including skiing.

>> My mom had her wheels stolen even WITH the locks.

Useless things. What kind of idiot steals the wheels (or wheel covers)
from a 10-year-old Eldorado?

--
Cheers, Bev
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

john james

Dec 26, 2014, 4:27:53 PM12/26/14

"The Real Bev" <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Presumably someone who has one.

Dennis

Dec 27, 2014, 2:18:55 PM12/27/14
On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 18:20:44 -0800, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 12/23/2014 06:05 PM, Bob F wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> Ask how much it costs to have your car towed if you don't have AAA.
>>
>> And how long has it been since you had your car towed? And how much does the
>> insurance cost?
>
>$90/year for 4 tows of 100 miles each. Last time I asked one of the AAA
>drivers (maybe 5 years ago) it was $7/mile. I had to have it towed a
>little over a year ago when a sidewall blew out and I couldn't find the
>wheel locks. I got it towed to the tire place who broke off the locks.
> My mom had her wheels stolen even WITH the locks.

I have auto insurance with Allstate. They have a roadside assistance
service that allows you to register your vehicles and a credit card
and then you can call a central number to get basic assistance like a
tow, flat repair, lockout, etc. There is no regular membership fee or
extra fee on the insurance bill, only the cost of the service call
when you use it, which is charged to the card on file. The rates are
negotiated and fixed for defined services (I think it is like $100 for
a tow up to XX miles, $50 for a lockout, etc.). I've only used it
once, for a tow, and it worked fine. Great for the kids' cars while
they are away at college. No maps or other frills like some of the
plans.

Maybe other insurance providers have a similar plan.

Dennis (evil)
--
My output is down, my income is up, I take a short position on the long bond and
my revenue stream has its own cash flow. -George Carlin

bob haller

Dec 28, 2014, 10:41:51 PM12/28/14
I am in field service and drive a lot.....

I have been towed a 100 miles on more than one occasion, AAA for 40 years, and am pleased with it. Maps, tour books, towing, key that broke off in lock:( ocked out of vehicle. Ran out of gas a few times. 40 years is a long time, wierd things come up.

AAA guarantees I can always get home:)

Camellia Sinensis

Jan 13, 2015, 3:43:47 PM1/13/15

"The Real Bev" wrote in message news:m7d7t6$2hd$1...@dont-email.me...

On 12/23/2014 06:05 PM, Bob F wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 12/22/2014 11:54 AM, 21bla...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> i had AAA for around 15 years
>>> used it once for a flat tire
>>>
>>> no longer have any roadside service
>>> [with Amica insurance now]
>>>
>>> it might be ok for elderly persons, like my mother, or maybe an
>>> older cars? not sure
>>
>> Ask how much it costs to have your car towed if you don't have AAA.
>
> And how long has it been since you had your car towed? And how much does
> the
> insurance cost?

>$90/year for 4 tows of 100 miles each. Last time I asked one of the AAA
>drivers (maybe 5 years ago) it was $7/mile. I had to have it towed a
>little over a year ago when a sidewall blew out and I couldn't find the
>wheel locks. I got it towed to the tire place who broke off the locks. My
>mom had her wheels stolen even WITH the locks.

That sounds a little steep. I have towing coverage on my vehicle through my
insurance and it is only $7.60 every six months. This is for towing for
breakdowns, etc. Accident towing is included in the claim if you have a
wreck.

John Weiss

Jan 13, 2015, 4:21:00 PM1/13/15
Camellia Sinensis wrote:

> > And how long has it been since you had your car towed? And how much
> > does the insurance cost?
>
>> $90/year for 4 tows of 100 miles each. Last time I asked one of
>> the AAA drivers (maybe 5 years ago) it was $7/mile. I had to have
>> it towed a little over a year ago when a sidewall blew out and I
>> couldn't find the wheel locks. I got it towed to the tire place
>> who broke off the locks. My mom had her wheels stolen even WITH the
>> locks.
>
> That sounds a little steep. I have towing coverage on my vehicle
> through my insurance and it is only $7.60 every six months. This is
> for towing for breakdowns, etc. Accident towing is included in the
> claim if you have a wreck.

AAA costs and towing policies vary state-to-state. Also, you can get
broader coverage by buying AAA Plus. Check with your local AAA for
rates and policies that will apply to you.