Lunchables and other annoying commercials

Bryan Costin

Jan 5, 2002, 5:37:14 PM1/5/02
I've just seen that annoying Lunchables commercial again, the one with
the kid on the schoolbus, and it's really starting to annoy me. For
those of who might not have seen it, it has a little kid getting
increasingly depressed as he looks in his lunchbag each day to find
that (gasp!) his uncaring and insensitive mother has not given him
Lunchables. One happy day he shouts with joy as he opens his brown bag
to find that his mom has finally given in and bought him Lunchables at
last.

I don't have kids, but if I did I sure wouldn't spend what they want
for some tiny portions of lunchmeat, cheese, and crackers. I suppose
that they have to sell the things somehow, but it's such a hamhanded
attempt at making their product seem desirable that I almost feel
sorry for them.

There are lots of useless and silly products out there, but I haven't
seen too many ads quite as dumb as that one. Any others?

-Bryan

~^ beancounter ~^

Jan 5, 2002, 5:46:55 PM1/5/02
people will pay for convince...a working, single
mom making 80k may not mind spending an
extra $1.55 for someone else to slice up the
meat and package it w/two crackers......

if doing the extra work would take more than
2 min of her time...it is cheaper to pay the "convince
charge"...why do you think they sell the pre washed and cut up
lettuce in the small plastic bags??...convince...

Chloe

Jan 5, 2002, 5:51:54 PM1/5/02
"Bryan Costin" <bco...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
><snip>

> I don't have kids, but if I did I sure wouldn't spend what they want
> for some tiny portions of lunchmeat, cheese, and crackers. I suppose
> that they have to sell the things somehow, but it's such a hamhanded
> attempt at making their product seem desirable that I almost feel
> sorry for them.
>
> There are lots of useless and silly products out there, but I haven't
> seen too many ads quite as dumb as that one. Any others?

With the caveat that I believe people who are sucked in by ridiculous ads
get exactly what they deserve, the Mastercard "priceless" campaign is one I
find especially nauseating, encouraging people as it does to try to buy warm
fuzzy feelings with money they don't have.

BJenni8949

Jan 5, 2002, 5:53:48 PM1/5/02
I'm still not over the ad where the parents bought their teenage daughter a new
CD player for Christmas....conveniently located in a new (leased, I'm sure)
Lexus.
Belva

Latest survey shows 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's
population.

Sewmaster

Jan 5, 2002, 5:55:22 PM1/5/02

I just detest those lunchables commercials.
When I think of the high fat & cholesterol of the cheese, ham
& crackers it really annoys me. Yes, of course, let's feed
our children lots of nitrosamines, excess salt. Blech!

I don't mind feeding children ham & cheese in reasonable amounts,
accompanied by some kid-friendly raw veggies & fruit or whole
wheat bread. The price of those lunchables is a total ripoff
& they're an unbalanced meal, to boot. (pun intended)

Off my soapbox,

Sewmaster (I work hard at feeding my family healthfully & the
lack of good nutrition, advertised to all-too-susceptible young
children, hit one of my hot buttons.)

Bear

Jan 5, 2002, 5:59:21 PM1/5/02

"Bryan Costin" > wrote in message

> There are lots of useless and silly products out there, but I haven't
> seen too many ads quite as dumb as that one. Any others?
Ovaltine ads bother me.The kids are yelling,"It's the Ovaltine man"! Some
prevy looking dude with an ice cream type cart is handing out a beverage to
little kids on the playground. No money changes hands. I've never seen an
Ovaltine vendor. Then the guy shows up at the ice rink passing it out, hot.
Bear

just me

Jan 5, 2002, 6:00:29 PM1/5/02

"Sewmaster" <trusty...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I just detest those lunchables commercials.
> When I think of the high fat & cholesterol of the cheese, ham
> & crackers it really annoys me. Yes, of course, let's feed
> our children lots of nitrosamines, excess salt. Blech!
>
> I don't mind feeding children ham & cheese in reasonable amounts,
> accompanied by some kid-friendly raw veggies & fruit or whole
> wheat bread. The price of those lunchables is a total ripoff
> & they're an unbalanced meal, to boot. (pun intended)
>
> Off my soapbox,

I like your soap box. Step over and minute and let me add simply that the
amount of food in a luncheables package is not enough to quench the hunger
of a typical school aged child who is reasonably active. They will come up
looking for more, folks.

-Aula

Sheryl Rosen

Jan 5, 2002, 6:44:01 PM1/5/02
In article <znLZ7.6269$Vz3.7...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,

"~^ beancounter ~^" <scc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> people will pay for convince...a working, single
> mom making 80k may not mind spending an
> extra $1.55 for someone else to slice up the
> meat and package it w/two crackers......
>
> if doing the extra work would take more than
> 2 min of her time...it is cheaper to pay the "convince
> charge"...why do you think they sell the pre washed and cut up
> lettuce in the small plastic bags??...convince...

Convince?
Who or what are you trying to convince of anything?
Are you saying that the people who sell these things are trying to
convince us to buy the stuff?????

Am I missing something?

--
Sheryl

Mike

Jan 5, 2002, 7:11:33 PM1/5/02

"Bryan Costin" <bco...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> There are lots of useless and silly products out there, but I haven't

> seen too many ads quite as dumb as that one. Any others?
>
> -Bryan

Watching the ADT Security Systems commercial, which is loaded with
ridiculous little self affirmations, should be considered cruel and unusual
punishment to viewers.

The segment featuring the screaming Jamaican guy is my favorite part of the
spot - <paraphrasing> "I will not be made to feel uneasy about the security
of my house while away on vacation AND FINALLY BE ABLE TO RELAX!".

Wow, talk about a guy who's in desperate need of a *long* vacation. That
guy needs to chill out, big time.

Nina

Jan 5, 2002, 7:50:17 PM1/5/02
The one for toaster strudels where the idiot kid has a mountain of pop tarts
stuffed in his locker. Why does he continue to take them? Why doesnt he tell
his mom NO.
Also. Chefo Boyardee commercial where the kid doesnt want Spaghetti O's and
mom makes a new can of Big Kid Canned Goop. So the little brat doesnt want
what she fixed, he can have something new NEXT time, not a new can of crap
while the old sits rotting on the counter. Arhghghg

Nina

Jan 5, 2002, 7:51:05 PM1/5/02
But its crap,they did an expose on the nutritional content. I mean, how hard
IS it to take out a cracker and some lunch meat? Its not even FOOD for
goodness sake.
"~^ beancounter ~^" <scc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Melissa

Jan 5, 2002, 7:55:23 PM1/5/02
I don't know if they are on the market anymore, but there were prepackaged
mini boxes of cereal and milk sold together for a while. I think they maybe
even had spoons with them. Stupid stupid stupid.

Pre-made Jello cups are dumb too, although I did pick the up once for a sick
child when I needed it right away and couldn't wait for regular jello to set
up.

Has anyone ever read the nutritional info on a package of Lunchables? Tons
of salt, high in fat, not healthy in the least. I've raised 4 kids, and
there is no way one of those would have been enough food for any of them
once they were past about age 3.

Melissa

Barb Grajewski

Jan 5, 2002, 8:13:50 PM1/5/02

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> In article <znLZ7.6269$Vz3.7...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
> "~^ beancounter ~^" <scc...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > if doing the extra work would take more than
> > 2 min of her time...it is cheaper to pay the "convince
> > charge"...why do you think they sell the pre washed and cut up
> > lettuce in the small plastic bags??...convince...
>

> Convince?
> Who or what are you trying to convince of anything?
> Are you saying that the people who sell these things are trying to
> convince us to buy the stuff?????
>
> Am I missing something?

I think he means "convenience"...

NeoLuddite

Jan 5, 2002, 8:34:56 PM1/5/02
In article <82e05e27.0201...@posting.google.com>,
bco...@yahoo.com (Bryan Costin) wrote:

I really hate those VW ads where the drivers go to extreme lengths to
protect their VWs from parking lot dings (tackling the shopping cart,
moving from parking spot to parking spot trying to find a "safe" one).

Come on. I own the car the car doesn't own me.
(I know, I know, some would say our cars do own us).

--
Real Email: neolu...@mac.com <- I don't check it every day, but hey.

ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net

Jan 5, 2002, 8:48:45 PM1/5/02
On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 00:55:23 GMT, Melissa <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>I don't know if they are on the market anymore, but there were prepackaged
>mini boxes of cereal and milk sold together for a while. I think they maybe
>even had spoons with them. Stupid stupid stupid.
[snip]

Those commercials annoyed me, too. I understand if people eat
breakfast on the run, but then...does it have to be cereal? And if
you aren't on the run...is it so very hard to pour a bowl of cereal
and add milk? I'm pretty prejudiced on that, though. We rarely eat
cereal in this household, and there's no way I'd ever buy such a
product.

I also dislike that commericial for the heat-and-eat pasta, where
the kids roll their eyes and go on and on about how hard pasta is to
make. It's terribly exaggerated.

Ariane

Sheryl Rosen

Jan 5, 2002, 9:50:22 PM1/5/02
In article
<Pine.A41.4.10.1020105...@tigger.cc.uic.edu>,
Barb Grajewski <barb...@uic.edu> wrote:

Oh, well why didn't he write that, then???? Maybe he's allergic to the
"en" combination.....he missed it twice.

Mike

Jan 6, 2002, 12:37:56 AM1/6/02

"Sheryl Rosen" <nos...@optonline.net> wrote in message

> Oh, well why didn't he write that, then???? Maybe he's allergic to the
> "en" combination.....he missed it twice.
>
> --
> Sheryl

Actually, it was three times - but who's counting. Perhaps when the poster
ran his/her post through the spell chucker it replaced <misspelled word>
with "convince". My best guess, anyway.

Bryan Costin

Jan 6, 2002, 3:24:40 AM1/6/02
bjenn...@aol.com (BJenni8949) wrote in message news:<20020105175348...@mb-mc.aol.com>...

> I'm still not over the ad where the parents bought their teenage daughter a new
> CD player for Christmas....conveniently located in a new (leased, I'm sure)
> Lexus.
> Belva

Yeah, I almost forgot about that one. The first time I saw it I was
sure I'd misunderstood what they were selling. Unfortunately I was
wrong.

-Bryan

Bryan Costin

Jan 6, 2002, 3:37:45 AM1/6/02
"~^ beancounter ~^" <scc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<znLZ7.6269$Vz3.7...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...

> people will pay for convince...a working, single
> mom making 80k may not mind spending an
> extra $1.55 for someone else to slice up the
> meat and package it w/two crackers......
>
> if doing the extra work would take more than
> 2 min of her time...it is cheaper to pay the "convince
> charge"...why do you think they sell the pre washed and cut up
> lettuce in the small plastic bags??...convince...

Ok, I'll buy that. I buy convenience foods myself I do think the
inconvenience of the alternatives are exaggerated. If I someday find
that I don't have 2 minutes free to bag my own lettuce, crackers, and
lunchmeat for my kid's lunch, I will know it's time to stop and think
about what the heck I'm doing with my life. But that's another topic.
:)

I really don't object to the existence of snack packs and such, just
the way they're portrayed in this commercial: If mommy and daddy
really love you, they'll give you prepackaged snacks instead of making
that silly old homemade lunch. It's just silly.

Another example would be all the stuff that's "so simple, your kids
can make it themselves!" As though even rudimentary snack-making
skills are just too darn hard for kids.

-Bryan

P. Newman

Jan 6, 2002, 9:29:32 AM1/6/02
The commercial for the Pillsbury Dinner Rolls gets my vote. In
the commercial the mother is serving dinner to her family at all
different times and these rolls are such a blessing to have on
hand to make her meals so easy.

I don't know what she's serving for the rest of the meal but a
dinner roll is the last thing I would consider to make a
nutritious meal. Maybe they're on a bread and water diet.

I shake my head in disbelief every time it airs.

Pat in NJ

Me

Jan 6, 2002, 9:40:05 AM1/6/02
On 1/5/02 17:53, in article 20020105175348...@mb-mc.aol.com,
"BJenni8949" <bjenn...@aol.com> wrote:

> I'm still not over the ad where the parents bought their teenage daughter a
> new
> CD player for Christmas....conveniently located in a new (leased, I'm sure)
> Lexus.
> Belva

I must live in a cave. I don't recall ever seeing a commercial for a Lexus
or Lunchables on TV, but usually as soon as a commercial comes on my TV, I
switch to one of the news channels for a couple of minutes. Don't you folks
have a television with remote control? Why would anyone watch a commercial
they don't like?

On the subject of the actual convenience factor, I agree. For many kids, the
quantity of food in a Lunchables package is sufficient for lunch at school
or on the go. Too many kids over eat anyway. If parents are willing to pay
for the convenience of these products so they can spend more time with their
work, their kids, or whatever, I don't see what the big deal is. I
definitely see no value to Lunchables in my humble life, but obviously, many
people do, otherwise, Oscar Mayer would not make them.

Peter

Jan 6, 2002, 10:02:31 AM1/6/02

Do you have a Dishnetwork sat receiver? If so, at any given momement,
there's a freakin' Bowflex commercial. Then there's Bloussant, the
thing that'll make your tits bigger, naturally of course. And EnerX...

--
Sneaky Pete

Ann

Jan 6, 2002, 9:55:09 AM1/6/02

"just me" <N...@ThankYou.com> wrote in message

Then you are really going to *love* Snackables! 2 "vanilla" cookies (or
chocolate, or a brownie), a tablespoon of icing with a plastic stick to
spread it), and 12 mini M&Ms to sprinkle on top.

50 cents or so at your local supermarket

Ann

Mom

Jan 6, 2002, 10:07:25 AM1/6/02
Bryan Costin wrote:

> There are lots of useless and silly products out there, but I haven't
> seen too many ads quite as dumb as that one. Any others?

That Old El Paso taco commercial with the cowboy is pretty goofy, to
me any ways.

DivaM...@webtv.net

Jan 6, 2002, 9:55:04 AM1/6/02
>I also dislike that commericial for the
> heat-and-eat pasta, where the kids roll
> their eyes and go on and on about how
> hard pasta is to make. It's terribly
> exaggerated.

LOL, I was wondering if anyone else was going to bring this one up! I
especially like the part when the one kid says "what do I look like, a
chef?" Oh yes, boiling water and tossing in pasta, then draining it
after a few minutes requires years at the Cordon Bleu to master...
<snicker>

The one with the kid scooting around the kitchen in his chair putting
Jeno's Pizza Rolls in the microwave is another annoying one.

Diva

Chloe

Jan 6, 2002, 10:23:18 AM1/6/02
"Ann" <amcm...@ptd.net> wrote in message

> Then you are really going to *love* Snackables! 2 "vanilla" cookies (or
> chocolate, or a brownie), a tablespoon of icing with a plastic stick to
> spread it), and 12 mini M&Ms to sprinkle on top.
>
> 50 cents or so at your local supermarket

I saw but did not read an article in this morning's paper about pre-packaged
peanut butter and jelly that you can just slap onto bread to make a
sandwich. I cringe to think what that must cost.

Sewmaster

Jan 6, 2002, 10:26:07 AM1/6/02
"P. Newman" wrote:

> The commercial for the Pillsbury Dinner Rolls gets my vote. In
> the commercial the mother is serving dinner to her family at all
> different times and these rolls are such a blessing to have on
> hand to make her meals so easy.
>
> I don't know what she's serving for the rest of the meal but a
> dinner roll is the last thing I would consider to make a
> nutritious meal. Maybe they're on a bread and water diet.
>
> I shake my head in disbelief every time it airs.
>
> Pat in NJ

The thing about that one of those commercials that really annoys
me is the jingle--"my heart to yours." It's so ironic.
Those are white rolls, another one is biscuits, which are full
of fat & not the healthy kind either, plus white flour & lots of
preservatives. No whole grain. Tremendously heart-healthy;
yeah right. <sarcasm>

It just really annoys me, as most sneaky advertising does.
At least I can see it for what it is, & avoid it.

Sewmaster

Sewmaster

Jan 6, 2002, 10:34:13 AM1/6/02
Me wrote:

> On 1/5/02 17:53, in article 20020105175348...@mb-mc.aol.com,
> "BJenni8949" <bjenn...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm still not over the ad where the parents bought their teenage daughter a
> > new
> > CD player for Christmas....conveniently located in a new (leased, I'm sure)
> > Lexus.
> > Belva
>
> I must live in a cave. I don't recall ever seeing a commercial for a Lexus
> or Lunchables on TV, but usually as soon as a commercial comes on my TV, I
> switch to one of the news channels for a couple of minutes. Don't you folks
> have a television with remote control? Why would anyone watch a commercial
> they don't like?

When one switches to another channel, they may well find
more commercials. On news channels as well as any others.
I mute them. Most look pretty stupid without the sound.

> On the subject of the actual convenience factor, I agree. For many kids, the
> quantity of food in a Lunchables package is sufficient for lunch at school
> or on the go.

I've seen those lunchables. They're way too small for anyone
over 3. I had a friend who bought them all the time, she said
she didn't want to be bothered packing a lunch for her kids.
YMMV.

Too many kids over eat anyway. If parents are willing to pay
> for the convenience of these products so they can spend more time with their
> work, their kids, or whatever, I don't see what the big deal is. I
> definitely see no value to Lunchables in my humble life, but obviously, many
> people do, otherwise, Oscar Mayer would not make them.

Fools & their money are soon parted.
Those lunches aren't frugal at all IME. For the price of one of those
ridiculous things, I could make my kids good, appealing, nourishing
lunches, twice over. It didn't take very long either.

Sewmaster

bear...@cruller.invalid

Jan 6, 2002, 11:43:43 AM1/6/02
In article <b6kg3uo8e2i0dqi77...@4ax.com>,
Pat Meadows <p...@meadows.pair.com> wrote:

> what could be easier to make than pasta? You put a pot of water on
> the stove, you turn on the stove, when the water boils you put the
> pasta in the pot with the water, you stir it maybe once or twice,
> you wait a few minutes and voila! Pasta.

I thought that was "voyla!" :-)

DivaM...@webtv.net

Jan 6, 2002, 12:02:18 PM1/6/02
>there's a freakin' Bowflex commercial.
> Then there's Bloussant, the thing that'll
> make your tits bigger, naturally of
> course. And EnerX...

Or those horrendous spots for that Epil Stop hair removal spray. The
neanderthal guy with the hairy back is just too much, ugh... <shudder>

Diva

Dave Hitt

Jan 6, 2002, 12:38:03 PM1/6/02
bco...@yahoo.com (Bryan Costin) wrote:

>I've just seen that annoying Lunchables commercial again, the one with
>the kid on the schoolbus, and it's really starting to annoy me. For
>those of who might not have seen it, it has a little kid getting
>increasingly depressed as he looks in his lunchbag each day to find
>that (gasp!) his uncaring and insensitive mother has not given him
>Lunchables. One happy day he shouts with joy as he opens his brown bag
>to find that his mom has finally given in and bought him Lunchables at
>last.
>
>I don't have kids, but if I did I sure wouldn't spend what they want
>for some tiny portions of lunchmeat, cheese, and crackers. I suppose
>that they have to sell the things somehow, but it's such a hamhanded
>attempt at making their product seem desirable that I almost feel
>sorry for them.
>

>There are lots of useless and silly products out there, but I haven't
>seen too many ads quite as dumb as that one. Any others?

This kind of advertisement is nothing new, though. I remember "My
dog's better than your dog, my dog's better than yours, My dog's
better 'cause he gets Ken-L-Ration..." Obviously, if you wanted to
be cool, you had to feed the right stuff to your dog.

Commercials don't annoy me any more. I don't watch them. Tivo is a
terrific toy which, among other things, makes your life TV commercial
free.

----
Are the Protesters Traitors?
http://www.davehitt.com/oct01/traitors.html

Dave Hitt

Jan 6, 2002, 12:39:28 PM1/6/02
Sheryl Rosen <nos...@optonline.net> wrote:

>In article <znLZ7.6269$Vz3.7...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
> "~^ beancounter ~^" <scc...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> people will pay for convince...a working, single
>> mom making 80k may not mind spending an
>> extra $1.55 for someone else to slice up the
>> meat and package it w/two crackers......
>>
>> if doing the extra work would take more than
>> 2 min of her time...it is cheaper to pay the "convince
>> charge"...why do you think they sell the pre washed and cut up
>> lettuce in the small plastic bags??...convince...
>

>Convince?
>Who or what are you trying to convince of anything?
>Are you saying that the people who sell these things are trying to
>convince us to buy the stuff?????
>
>Am I missing something?

Yes, the fact that few things on usenet are as tiresome, annoying,
uncreative and dim-witted as a spelling troll.

Try to have an actual idea the next time you post.

Dave Hitt

Jan 6, 2002, 12:42:17 PM1/6/02
"Chloe" <just...@spam.com> wrote:

That's been around for a decade or more. PB and J in the same jar,
separated into swirls like colored toothpaste.

Yuck.

val189

Jan 6, 2002, 12:50:13 PM1/6/02

dogl...@home.net wrote:

> bear...@cruller.invalid wrote:
> The worst is people who type or say "WALA". Groan.

Eeewww.... you hit a nerve with THAT one.... I used to think I was
hearing it wrong, but evidently not. Is it that supposed to be new and
cool, or just uneducated, like "very unique"

Ann

Jan 6, 2002, 1:03:36 PM1/6/02

"Dave Hitt" <Boy....@Hate.spammers> wrote in message

> "Chloe" <just...@spam.com> wrote:
>
> >"Ann" <amcm...@ptd.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Then you are really going to *love* Snackables! 2 "vanilla" cookies (or
> >> chocolate, or a brownie), a tablespoon of icing with a plastic stick to
> >> spread it), and 12 mini M&Ms to sprinkle on top.
> >>
> >> 50 cents or so at your local supermarket
> >
> >I saw but did not read an article in this morning's paper about
pre-packaged
> >peanut butter and jelly that you can just slap onto bread to make a
> >sandwich. I cringe to think what that must cost.
>
> That's been around for a decade or more. PB and J in the same jar,
> separated into swirls like colored toothpaste.
>
> Yuck.

I think the stuff Chloe is talking about is packaged like Kraft singles
(cheese-like food-like product). Peel off the plastic, slap it on your
bread.

Ann

Don K.

Jan 6, 2002, 1:19:10 PM1/6/02

I wonder who is the targeted audience for that one?
I didn't think Bill Gates' daughter was old enough to drive yet.

If I had that kind of money, I wouldn't be watching any TV commercials
anyway. I'd pay someone to be editing them out in near-real time.

Don
--
To reply by email, remove the postage.

onyva...@yahoo.com

Jan 6, 2002, 1:25:55 PM1/6/02

Dave Hitt wrote:

> bco...@yahoo.com (Bryan Costin) wrote:
>
> >I've just seen that annoying Lunchables commercial again, the one with
> >the kid on the schoolbus, and it's really starting to annoy me. For
> >those of who might not have seen it, it has a little kid getting
> >increasingly depressed as he looks in his lunchbag each day to find
> >that (gasp!) his uncaring and insensitive mother has not given him
> >Lunchables. One happy day he shouts with joy as he opens his brown bag
> >to find that his mom has finally given in and bought him Lunchables at
> >last.
> >
> >I don't have kids, but if I did I sure wouldn't spend what they want
> >for some tiny portions of lunchmeat, cheese, and crackers. I suppose
> >that they have to sell the things somehow, but it's such a hamhanded
> >attempt at making their product seem desirable that I almost feel
> >sorry for them.
> >
> >There are lots of useless and silly products out there, but I haven't
> >seen too many ads quite as dumb as that one. Any others?
>
> This kind of advertisement is nothing new, though. I remember "My
> dog's better than your dog, my dog's better than yours, My dog's
> better 'cause he gets Ken-L-Ration..." Obviously, if you wanted to
> be cool, you had to feed the right stuff to your dog.

Hmm. I'm fortymumble and I remember some from when I was a cricket..

PF Flyers [sneakers] made you run faster and jump higher. I secretly
wanted some of these sneakers but never asked for them.

Wonder Bread helped build bodies twelve ways. I never understood this
one.

3M used to always advertise on the Sunday Disney program. There was a
man dressed in white who flew around on this personal flying machine. I
*still* want one of these things.

N.E.S.T.L.E.S. Nestles makes the very best..chooooooooocolate. I met a
guy a while ago who had a basset hound named Farfel. Brought a big
smile to my face.

...And away goes trouble down the drain. What was that from?
Plop plop fizz fizz, It's not nice to fool mother nature, and on and on.

I don't have TV, but I don't have anything against it either. I've
always liked the creativity of some ads. I don't think they are
inherently evil. Some people will be influenced by some ads, some by
others, some by none.

I bought Gladware after hearing the pros about it here. I'm sure the
people who talked about it had seen it in ads. Those ads were
successful. They made people buy and try and spread the word. I
probably would not have known about these things for a few years were it
not for the info that was passed on.

Companies need to advertise products to stay in business. Broadcast
companies need to raise money to stay in business. Public TV does this
by airing hours [and hours] of fundraisers and auctions. Networks do
this through selling ad spots. England does this by charging a yearly
TV tax.

I don't think that one revenue generating method is better than
another. Just different.

Don K.

Jan 6, 2002, 1:42:29 PM1/6/02
Ann wrote:
> I think the stuff Chloe is talking about is packaged like Kraft singles
> (cheese-like food-like product). Peel off the plastic, slap it on your
> bread.
>
> Ann

To clarify, you're supposed to peel off the clear plastic and put
the orange plastic on your bread.

Patricia Williams

Jan 6, 2002, 1:29:44 PM1/6/02
What about the Aflack insurance commercials with that pesky little duck
who squawks "AFLACK!". There's one commercial where a couple is
wanting to start a family and then they are in bed and their two sets of
feet are at the end of the bed, and the duck shows up next to their
feet. Long John Silver's newest commercials with the shrimp who
speaks with a very bad accent is another one.

Don K.

Jan 6, 2002, 1:46:36 PM1/6/02
onyva...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Wonder Bread helped build bodies twelve ways. I never understood this
> one.
It was the sawdust (cellulose).

Bryan Costin

Jan 6, 2002, 1:51:39 PM1/6/02
Peter <pete...@youhoo.com> wrote in message news:<3C386707...@youhoo.com>...

> Do you have a Dishnetwork sat receiver? If so, at any given momement,
> there's a freakin' Bowflex commercial. Then there's Bloussant, the
> thing that'll make your tits bigger, naturally of course. And EnerX...

I have cable, but I know exactly what you mean. There's a stable of
ads that you can pretty much count on turning up eventually. Some
channels seem to like airing the same 5 or so commercials over and
over, sometimes even twice in a row.

-Bryan

DivaM...@webtv.net

Jan 6, 2002, 2:09:20 PM1/6/02
Oh man, just thought of another one, probably the worst - Leslie
Nielson's Medicare commercials! Unfunny, and painfully so...

Diva

Mom

Jan 6, 2002, 2:47:05 PM1/6/02
onyva...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hmm. I'm fortymumble and I remember some from when I was a cricket..

I can still recall all the words to the "Two all beef patties..."
McDonald's commercial. Even though I saw these commercials when I was
younger, I never had a Big Mac until after I was married. I quickly
decided I hadn't missed much.

> I bought Gladware after hearing the pros about it here. I'm sure the
> people who talked about it had seen it in ads. Those ads were
> successful. They made people buy and try and spread the word. I
> probably would not have known about these things for a few years were it
> not for the info that was passed on.

I can't recall seeing an ad for them, but may have. I learned about
them from a DF who absolutely loved them so I tried them. The same
thing with Swiffers, although I have seen the commercials for the wet
version of these. Both are great products that fit my current needs.

ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net

Jan 6, 2002, 3:56:57 PM1/6/02
On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 13:32:34 GMT, Pat Meadows <p...@meadows.pair.com> wrote:

>But, gee, what could be easier to make than pasta? You put

>a pot of water on the stove, you turn on the stove, when the
>water boils you put the pasta in the pot with the water, you
>stir it maybe once or twice, you wait a few minutes and
>voila! Pasta.
>
>No mess either: one pot, one spoon, one colander or
>strainer (for draining the pasta).

I'm thinking there might be a way to microwave it as
well...if you had a large enough container? At any rate, pasta is
something that is relatively easy to fix in large batches and freeze
in single serving amounts.

What irks me a bit is how the commercials treat cooking as
if it's a monumental task, something children shouldn't even DREAM of
attempting. I realize it's in their best interest to portray it such,
but it's still annoying. My younger sister is a freshman in
high school. I'm encouraging her to start learning how to cook now.
I encourage my brother too, but I'm afraid his natural laziness and
willingness to eat anything works against any arguments for cheaper,
higher-quality food. ;P

>Cheap too, I can generally get Ronzoni or Barilla or other
>decent brand pasta at two 1-lb boxes for $1.00 or sometimes
>3 boxes for $1.00. I stock up when it's on sale.
>Convenient too - keeps in the cupboard, you can always pull
>out pasta when you don't know what to have.

We do the same. 2 1 lb. boxes for $1 is pretty good here, and
when it hits 3/$1, we stock up big time.

>This is why I could NEVER understand people who buy that
>slimy ghastly <shudder> CANNED spaghetti <shudder>.
>
>Maybe if you had it as a little child, you grow up liking
>it?

Guilty confession...as a kid, I _did_ like those canned
spaghettis and raviolis from Chef Boy Ardee. :) We don't eat them
anymore just because they're rather expensive considering how much you
get and they definitely don't taste as good to me anymore. How DO
they get the sauce that unique bright orangey-red color? ;D

Ariane

Dave Hitt

Jan 6, 2002, 3:58:05 PM1/6/02
onyva...@yahoo.com wrote:

>PF Flyers [sneakers] made you run faster and jump higher. I secretly
>wanted some of these sneakers but never asked for them.
>
>Wonder Bread helped build bodies twelve ways. I never understood this
>one.

Up, down, sideways, front to back...yeah, that one always struck me as
particularly stupid.

>3M used to always advertise on the Sunday Disney program. There was a
>man dressed in white who flew around on this personal flying machine. I
>*still* want one of these things.
>
>N.E.S.T.L.E.S. Nestles makes the very best..chooooooooocolate. I met a
>guy a while ago who had a basset hound named Farfel. Brought a big
>smile to my face.
>
>...And away goes trouble down the drain. What was that from?

Roto-Rooter, that's the name...

>Plop plop fizz fizz, It's not nice to fool mother nature, and on and on.

I wonder whatever happened to Fizzies, the kid version of Alka
Seltzer. Gawd, those were vile, and we absolutely loved them.

>I don't have TV, but I don't have anything against it either. I've
>always liked the creativity of some ads. I don't think they are
>inherently evil. Some people will be influenced by some ads, some by
>others, some by none.

Some ads are the best thing on TV, but I'm not willing to dig through
that much crap to find the pony. For instance, just when you think
800 collect commercials can't get any worse, they go out and hire
Carrot Top. No human being should ever have to sit through something
that vile.

ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net

Jan 6, 2002, 4:02:05 PM1/6/02
On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 10:26:07 -0500,
Sewmaster <trusty...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The thing about that one of those commercials that really annoys
>me is the jingle--"my heart to yours." It's so ironic.
>Those are white rolls, another one is biscuits, which are full
>of fat & not the healthy kind either, plus white flour & lots of
>preservatives. No whole grain. Tremendously heart-healthy;
>yeah right. <sarcasm>
>
>It just really annoys me, as most sneaky advertising does.
>At least I can see it for what it is, & avoid it.

A lot of food products seem targeted to appeal to the audience's desire
to achieve family togetherness, or whatever. That chex mix commercial
where the woman is recalling her mother's parties in the 50's, that
REALLY irritating commercial for...Cream of wheat, I think? The one
where another woman is recalling HER mother making CoW and there's an
annoying kid singing (la la la la la la la laaaa...) in the background.

I suspect that many families with their different schedules find
it harder to sit down for dinner all at the same time. These
commercials are trying to say, "Hey, buy our product and your family
will be a happy, cohesive unit!" I understand the appeal, but the
attempt to play to emotions has all the subtlety of a 2x4 upside the
head.

Ariane

ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net

Jan 6, 2002, 4:05:13 PM1/6/02
On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 14:40:05 GMT, Me <sr...@comcast.net> wrote:

>I must live in a cave. I don't recall ever seeing a commercial for a Lexus
>or Lunchables on TV, but usually as soon as a commercial comes on my TV, I
>switch to one of the news channels for a couple of minutes. Don't you folks
>have a television with remote control? Why would anyone watch a commercial
>they don't like?
[snip]

So we can laugh about them later on MCFL, of course.

Ariane

onyva...@yahoo.com

Jan 6, 2002, 4:07:08 PM1/6/02

At my last house I rarely made pasta, rice and beans. I had to carry
all my water in and it just took too much wasted water to make these
things.

Funny..I find that now I have a good water source I still just make my
bulgar [1 cup bulgar 2 cups boiled water] on a regular basis. I'm still
in a pattern of saving water.

Nina

Jan 6, 2002, 4:29:36 PM1/6/02
On that note, i fkin HATE Kool-Aid commercials. In the white kool-aid
commercials they talk about Vitamin C and low cost.,inthe black ones they
SING about how Big Mama and Grammaw and the whole clan ALWAYS fixed such
good Kool-Aid and thats why the family continues to drink it. I fkin hate
KoolAid commercials to the point of flipping the channel if I see some
minority cheesing and singing gospel songs in KoolAids honor.
<ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net> wrote in message

DivaM...@webtv.net

Jan 6, 2002, 4:58:49 PM1/6/02
>just when you think 800 collect
> commercials can't get any worse, they
> go out and hire Carrot Top.

Ewwwwww! Please, I'm trying to enjoy my lunch here LOL!

BTW, lunch today is frugal and delicious - homemade turkey noodle soup
(made from the bones from the New Years turkey at my dad's house) and
homemade cornbread (baked in a cast iron skillet), in case anyone's
interested : )

Diva

Chloe

Jan 6, 2002, 5:37:26 PM1/6/02
<bear...@cruller.invalid> wrote in message

Wallah. (Not serious, but that still looks as hilarious to me as the first
time I saw it, right here on Usenet.)

Chloe

Jan 6, 2002, 5:37:27 PM1/6/02
<DivaM...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> Oh man, just thought of another one, probably the worst - Leslie
> Nielson's Medicare commercials! Unfunny, and painfully so...
>
> Diva

Is that the one where he breaks all the stuff in the gift shop? What's the
point of that commercial, anyway?

bear...@cruller.invalid

Jan 6, 2002, 5:47:46 PM1/6/02
In article <slrna3hep9....@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net>,
ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net () wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 13:32:34 GMT, Pat Meadows <p...@meadows.pair.com> wrote:

<snip>

> >This is why I could NEVER understand people who buy that
> >slimy ghastly <shudder> CANNED spaghetti <shudder>.
> >
> >Maybe if you had it as a little child, you grow up liking
> >it?
>
> Guilty confession...as a kid, I _did_ like those canned
> spaghettis and raviolis from Chef Boy Ardee. :) We don't eat them
> anymore just because they're rather expensive considering how much you
> get and they definitely don't taste as good to me anymore. How DO
> they get the sauce that unique bright orangey-red color? ;D
>
> Ariane

Safeway brand SpaghettiO's are, believe it or not, fat-free. Discount
the fiber benefits, and they aren't that much different from canned
beans. With some Vietnamese hot sauce on them and some fresh bread, they
really aren't a bad lunch.

bear...@cruller.invalid

Jan 6, 2002, 5:53:14 PM1/6/02
In article <3c3cb886...@news4.newscene.com>,
Boy....@Hate.spammers (Dave Hitt) wrote:

> I wonder whatever happened to Fizzies, the kid version of Alka
> Seltzer. Gawd, those were vile, and we absolutely loved them.

They turned into PopRocks for kids to choke down.

bear...@cruller.invalid

Jan 6, 2002, 5:55:00 PM1/6/02
In article <3C38A9B9...@invalid.com>, Mom <m...@invalid.com>
wrote:

> I can still recall all the words to the "Two all beef patties..."
> McDonald's commercial.

Olord, and we wonder why the memory it the first thing to go...this
thread has definitely made me regret using up all the space in my brain
for remembering stuff like this.

Gene Wirchenko

Jan 6, 2002, 6:11:31 PM1/6/02
DivaM...@webtv.net wrote:

>>I also dislike that commericial for the
>> heat-and-eat pasta, where the kids roll
>> their eyes and go on and on about how
>> hard pasta is to make. It's terribly
>> exaggerated.
>
>LOL, I was wondering if anyone else was going to bring this one up! I
>especially like the part when the one kid says "what do I look like, a
>chef?" Oh yes, boiling water and tossing in pasta, then draining it
>after a few minutes requires years at the Cordon Bleu to master...
><snicker>

I like macaroni. One of the advantages is that I can put it on
and walk away for n minutes. This is handy when I'm working at home.
It's terribly, terribly difficult.

>The one with the kid scooting around the kitchen in his chair putting
>Jeno's Pizza Rolls in the microwave is another annoying one.

There was a radio commercial that I've heard for another
convenience snack where the teenager offers to help Mom with the
shopping. The tone of voice is quite swarmy. Mom can't be trusted to
get the right stuff, eh? Well, it might be accurate: she probably
doesn't want that crud.

The product I really wonder why anyone buys is cheese sticks.
It's probably more difficult to get it out of the package than cutting
sticks from a block of cheese.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:
I have preferences.
You have biases.
He/She has prejudices.

Melissa

Jan 6, 2002, 6:49:36 PM1/6/02
Yep, I agree. I have 4 kids, ages 22, 20, 17, and 14. Lots of different
work and school schedules going on here. I put dinner on the table about 6
pm each night during the week. The oldest sometimes gets here a bit late,
and he just warms up some for his dinner. The others make due and deal with
what I serve. Having frozen white dinner rolls would not save my day I can
tell you. I don't think my kids would even eat them, none of them care much
for bread anyway.

I do have a 20 year old son who is terrible fond of 10 cent Ramen noodles.
He has always been a fad eater, and I expect he'll grow out of them someday.

Melissa

P. Newman <pone...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The commercial for the Pillsbury Dinner Rolls gets my vote. In
> the commercial the mother is serving dinner to her family at all
> different times and these rolls are such a blessing to have on
> hand to make her meals so easy.
>
> I don't know what she's serving for the rest of the meal but a
> dinner roll is the last thing I would consider to make a
> nutritious meal. Maybe they're on a bread and water diet.
>
> I shake my head in disbelief every time it airs.
>
> Pat in NJ

> Bryan Costin wrote:
>

> > There are lots of useless and silly products out there, but I haven't
> > seen too many ads quite as dumb as that one. Any others?
> >

> > -Bryan

Melissa

Jan 6, 2002, 6:50:46 PM1/6/02
The original one was much funnier. I wish they would put that one back on,
it was always good for a giggle. We like tacos here, especially in the
summer when I can pick fresh tomatoes from the back yard.

Melissa

Mom <m...@invalid.com> wrote in message news:3C38682D...@invalid.com...

> Bryan Costin wrote:
> >

> > There are lots of useless and silly products out there, but I haven't
> > seen too many ads quite as dumb as that one. Any others?
>

> That Old El Paso taco commercial with the cowboy is pretty goofy, to
> me any ways.

Gene Wirchenko

Jan 6, 2002, 8:10:46 PM1/6/02
Mom <m...@invalid.com> wrote:

>onyva...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Hmm. I'm fortymumble and I remember some from when I was a cricket..
>
>I can still recall all the words to the "Two all beef patties..."
>McDonald's commercial. Even though I saw these commercials when I was
>younger, I never had a Big Mac until after I was married. I quickly
>decided I hadn't missed much.

A Farkus(?spelling) comic had a wonderful take on that. It
showed a sign that said "100% BEEF" with a manager and a trainee. The
trainee had apparently just been asked what the sign meant. His
response: "It means that everyone has a complaint.".

My mom made hamburgers with a special ingredient that McDonald's
et al don't use: bread crumbs. Her burgers are much better.

[snip]

Bob Ward

Jan 6, 2002, 8:27:51 PM1/6/02
On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 18:19:10 GMT, "Don K." <d...@homepostage.com> wrote:

>If I had that kind of money, I wouldn't be watching any TV commercials
>anyway. I'd pay someone to be editing them out in near-real time.
>
>Don

Tivo isn't all that expensive...

--

This space left intentionally blank.

Bob Ward

Jan 6, 2002, 8:29:49 PM1/6/02
On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 12:50:13 -0500, val189 <gweh...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>dogl...@home.net wrote:
>
>> bear...@cruller.invalid wrote:
>> The worst is people who type or say "WALA". Groan.
>
>Eeewww.... you hit a nerve with THAT one.... I used to think I was
>hearing it wrong, but evidently not. Is it that supposed to be new and
>cool, or just uneducated, like "very unique"

They do it to look kewl.

Bob Ward

Jan 6, 2002, 8:32:59 PM1/6/02
On 6 Jan 2002 11:38:03 -0600, Boy....@Hate.spammers (Dave Hitt)
wrote:

>Commercials don't annoy me any more. I don't watch them. Tivo is a
>terrific toy which, among other things, makes your life TV commercial
>free.

Finally something on which we can agree.

Bob Ward

Jan 6, 2002, 8:36:43 PM1/6/02
On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 14:47:05 -0500, Mom <m...@invalid.com> wrote:

>I can still recall all the words to the "Two all beef patties..."
>McDonald's commercial. Even though I saw these commercials when I was
>younger, I never had a Big Mac until after I was married. I quickly
>decided I hadn't missed much.

I visited Chicago for the first time early last year with a friend.
He insisted on taking me to White Castle for lunch, then asked me what
I thought. I could only say "This must be the Emperor's fast food!"

Dawn

Jan 6, 2002, 8:52:02 PM1/6/02
On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 21:07:08 GMT, onyva...@yahoo.com wrote:

>At my last house I rarely made pasta, rice and beans. I had to carry
>all my water in and it just took too much wasted water to make these
>things.
>
>Funny..I find that now I have a good water source I still just make my
>bulgar [1 cup bulgar 2 cups boiled water] on a regular basis. I'm still
>in a pattern of saving water.

PC is that you?
Dawn, wondering as usual.

charles hobbs

Jan 6, 2002, 9:23:31 PM1/6/02
Ann wrote:

> Then you are really going to *love* Snackables! 2 "vanilla" cookies (or
> chocolate, or a brownie), a tablespoon of icing with a plastic stick to
> spread it), and 12 mini M&Ms to sprinkle on top.
>
> 50 cents or so at your local supermarket

The "dessert" Lunchables are *really* full of sugar:
http://www.s-t.com/daily/09-99/09-15-99/c02ho093.htm (scroll down a bit)

Wendy

Jan 6, 2002, 9:33:19 PM1/6/02
In article <82e05e27.02010...@posting.google.com>,
Bryan Costin <bco...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Another example would be all the stuff that's "so simple, your kids
>can make it themselves!" As though even rudimentary snack-making
>skills are just too darn hard for kids.

Those drive me up the wall! I was cooking *real* macaroni and cheese
when I was nine, and today's kids supposedly can't even make it from
the box?!

There's a lot of money being spent on convincing people that cooking
is hard and scary and the terrible thing is, it seems to be working.
Mama to Ben, born 10/08/01
"What if we're all meant to do what we secretly dream?
What would you ask if you knew you could have anything?"

Nina

Jan 6, 2002, 9:48:55 PM1/6/02
Nahh, ramen noodles are a Food of the Gods..

"Melissa" <nos...@noway.com> wrote > I do have a 20 year old son who is

``````GINA````````

Jan 6, 2002, 9:51:07 PM1/6/02
Thank Goodness my son hates all of those "Lunchable" nasty things. He
also hates canned pasta and those new heat and eat pasta meals. I'd
like to think it is because Mom does it the best and the rest is crap!

Ok, off food topic.

The commericals I despise the most are any and all that show cars going
60-70 MPH on wet, steep, twisty roads. So what does this tell me? That
I can go as fast as I want in any road condition and look cool and get a
rebate? I don't think so!

ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net

Jan 7, 2002, 12:03:02 AM1/7/02
On 07 Jan 2002 02:33:19 GMT, Wendy <home...@deeptht.armory.com> wrote:

>Those drive me up the wall! I was cooking *real* macaroni and cheese
>when I was nine, and today's kids supposedly can't even make it from
>the box?!
>
>There's a lot of money being spent on convincing people that cooking
>is hard and scary and the terrible thing is, it seems to be working.

Sad, isn't it? I was SO glad when I finally learned how to cook
proper meals, which wasn't until about 2-3 years ago. We eat a lot
better than we would otherwise if we ate prepackaged foods or dined
out all the time. Cooking has been such a useful skill (and
enjoyable, too) and it's a shame more people don't try it.

Ariane

The Real Bev

Jan 7, 2002, 12:04:50 AM1/7/02

Nope, vwa-LAH! People who don't hear the v aren't listening very carefully.

--
Cheers,
Bev

DivaM...@webtv.net

Jan 7, 2002, 12:46:06 AM1/7/02
>The commericals I despise the most are
> any and all that show cars going 60-70
> MPH on wet, steep, twisty roads.

Now I"m reminded of yet another "winner' - Those ads where the mom and
kids are in the car, mom hits a bump and junior's ice cream cone goes
into his face. Then mom, while still driving, bends down and searches
under her seat for an elusive roll of paper towels, as she drives off
the road into a wrecking yard, and the car gets grabbed by the huge
magnet swinging over the yard. And the moral of the story is that all
her troubles could have been avoided if she'd just clipped a pack of
Tempo wipes to the visor...

Vanna, I'd like to buy a clue, please?

Diva

SHARX.

Jan 7, 2002, 1:22:47 AM1/7/02
DivaM...@webtv.net wrote:

> >there's a freakin' Bowflex commercial.
> > Then there's Bloussant, the thing that'll
> > make your tits bigger, naturally of
> > course. And EnerX...
>
> Or those horrendous spots for that Epil Stop hair removal spray. The
> neanderthal guy with the hairy back is just too much, ugh... <shudder>
>
> Diva

But hairy pits, especially on women, are pretty rank, too.

Chloe

Jan 7, 2002, 8:02:42 AM1/7/02
DH says I'm the only person in the world who hates that dweeb in the Dell
commercials. Is he right, or were they deliberately trying to be annoying?

Mike

Jan 7, 2002, 8:22:50 AM1/7/02

"Chloe" <just...@spam.com> wrote in message

> DH says I'm the only person in the world who hates that dweeb in the Dell
> commercials. Is he right, or were they deliberately trying to be annoying?

Dude, you're not gonna get a Dell if you keep talking like that. ;-)

Chloe

Jan 7, 2002, 8:35:04 AM1/7/02
"Mike" <st...@shovel.com> wrote in message

ROTFL. (I set m'self up for that one, didn't I?)

onyva...@yahoo.com

Jan 7, 2002, 10:03:10 AM1/7/02

tis me

p_conrad

Jan 7, 2002, 10:28:56 AM1/7/02
On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 14:29:32 GMT, "P. Newman" <pone...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>The commercial for the Pillsbury Dinner Rolls gets my vote. In
>the commercial the mother is serving dinner to her family at all
>different times and these rolls are such a blessing to have on
>hand to make her meals so easy.
>
>I don't know what she's serving for the rest of the meal but a
>dinner roll is the last thing I would consider to make a
>nutritious meal. Maybe they're on a bread and water diet.
>
>I shake my head in disbelief every time it airs.
>
>Pat in NJ

Actually, I enjoy that ad as a sort of absurdist short play. If she's
got people popping in and out all day for dinner, rolls have to be the
least of concerns. I think they are trying to appeal to the little
bit of Martha Stewart in all of us. Of course, they are dealing with
a product that's pretty hard to pitch, but they really failed badly to
create a reason to buy the things.

PBC

m.m.m.m.m.m.m....What was my e-mail address?

p_conrad

Jan 7, 2002, 10:34:06 AM1/7/02
wrote:

>bco...@yahoo.com (Bryan Costin) wrote:

>Commercials don't annoy me any more. I don't watch them. Tivo is a
>terrific toy which, among other things, makes your life TV commercial
>free.
>

>----
>Are the Protesters Traitors?
>http://www.davehitt.com/oct01/traitors.html

You'll pay later though. TIVO is just going to hasten the complete
merger of content and advertisement. I remember seeing the cast of
Becker go on for about a minute on just how great Krispy Kreme
doughnuts are. I liked it better when the ads were separate from the
shows.

p_conrad

Jan 7, 2002, 10:37:23 AM1/7/02

You've got to be kidding! That's one of the best ads ever! It does
nothing to sell the product, but it's really funny. Just think of it
as a little joke the ad agency played on the sponsor. At the end of
the ad, I don't know or care what they were selling, I just want to
see more of that comic mayhem!

p_conrad

Jan 7, 2002, 10:39:14 AM1/7/02
On Mon, 07 Jan 2002 13:02:42 GMT, "Chloe" <just...@spam.com> wrote:

>DH says I'm the only person in the world who hates that dweeb in the Dell
>commercials. Is he right, or were they deliberately trying to be annoying?

He's pretty much just a reprise of Eddie Haskel, from Leave it to
Beaver. Even though poor Eddie was out of place in the '50s, he's
totally at home in the '90s!

Elana Kehoe

Jan 7, 2002, 11:01:46 AM1/7/02
<ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net> wrote:

> How DO they get the sauce that unique bright orangey-red color?

FD&C Red Dye No. 5. :-)

I like .spaghetti but not in my email.
Member, IrelandOffline
Users bringing affordable Net access to Ireland
http://www.irelandoffline.com

Dave Hitt

Jan 7, 2002, 11:41:17 AM1/7/02
p_conrad <pm_mcmo...@cheatsearch.com> wrote:

You could be right. Whenever a character picks up a bottle or can of
something I often find myself checking to see how they're holding it.
If the label is perfectly shown, face forward, it's a good bet someone
paid for that.

val189

Jan 7, 2002, 12:14:17 PM1/7/02

onyva...@yahoo.com wrote:

> ...And away goes trouble down the drain. What was that from?

Rotorooter?

My mother couldn't bear to watch the Brylcreme ad with the girl chasing the
guy around the tube....she loathed boy-crazy types.
Val

val189

Jan 7, 2002, 12:16:40 PM1/7/02

Chloe wrote:

> DH says I'm the only person in the world who hates that dweeb in the Dell
> commercials. Is he right, or were they deliberately trying to be annoying?

He reminds me of Eddie Haskell of the Beave days.....

Val

dmeyer...@panix.com

Jan 7, 2002, 3:43:42 PM1/7/02
Boy....@Hate.spammers (Dave Hitt) writes:
> p_conrad <pm_mcmo...@cheatsearch.com> wrote:

> >You'll pay later though. TIVO is just going to hasten the complete
> >merger of content and advertisement. I remember seeing the cast of
> >Becker go on for about a minute on just how great Krispy Kreme

> You could be right. Whenever a character picks up a bottle or can of

> something I often find myself checking to see how they're holding it.
> If the label is perfectly shown, face forward, it's a good bet someone
> paid for that.

I thought it was very interesting when all the folks on one
sitcom recently were using, very obviously, Apple Titanium
Powerbooks. But they carefully covered the Apple logo with
stickie notes. Clearly someone loved the looks of the computer
(and it is beautiful) but they'd probably hit apple up for
some $$$ and were turned down. So they stuck with the
beautiful machines but didn't want to give apple the free
advertising. At least that's my guess.

--d

Nina

Jan 7, 2002, 6:03:48 PM1/7/02
Id rather just eat cereal out of a ziploc and chug milk out of one of those
minbottles. Cheaper and more food. Cereal isnt really great as a meal but
its a damned nutritious candy.
Nina
"liv" <l...@ziplink.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 01:48:45 GMT,
> ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net () wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 00:55:23 GMT, Melissa <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> >>I don't know if they are on the market anymore, but there were
prepackaged
> >>mini boxes of cereal and milk sold together for a while. I think they
maybe
> >>even had spoons with them. Stupid stupid stupid.
> >[snip]
> >
> > Those commercials annoyed me, too. I understand if people eat
> >breakfast on the run, but then...does it have to be cereal? And if
> >you aren't on the run...is it so very hard to pour a bowl of cereal
> >and add milk? I'm pretty prejudiced on that, though. We rarely eat
> >cereal in this household, and there's no way I'd ever buy such a
> >product.
> -------------------------------
> I can see it as useful, though. At least a bowl of most cold cereals
> and milk is reasonably nutritious, and probably better than sending
> someone out with a package of poptarts. I admit that I have had times
> when my schedule is so crazy that having something like that to toss
> in my purse would save me buying a donut on the way to work. And it is
> a better snack than a lunchable to give a child while out all day.
> ---------------------------------------
> > I also dislike that commericial for the heat-and-eat pasta, where
> >the kids roll their eyes and go on and on about how hard pasta is to
> >make. It's terribly exaggerated.
> --------------
> A little odd, too, since they could be clamoring for chef boyardee (or
> whatever) microwave meals.
>
> liv
> l...@garbage.ziplink.net
> take out the garbage to reply...
>
> If you can't beat your computer at chess try kickboxing.

Ward Stewart

Jan 7, 2002, 7:51:43 PM1/7/02
On Mon, 07 Jan 2002 21:17:50 GMT, liv <l...@ziplink.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 01:48:45 GMT,
>ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net () wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 00:55:23 GMT, Melissa <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>>I don't know if they are on the market anymore, but there were prepackaged
>>>mini boxes of cereal and milk sold together for a while. I think they maybe
>>>even had spoons with them. Stupid stupid stupid.
>>[snip]
>>
>> Those commercials annoyed me, too. I understand if people eat
>>breakfast on the run, but then...does it have to be cereal? And if
>>you aren't on the run...is it so very hard to pour a bowl of cereal
>>and add milk? I'm pretty prejudiced on that, though. We rarely eat
>>cereal in this household, and there's no way I'd ever buy such a
>>product.
>-------------------------------
>I can see it as useful, though. At least a bowl of most cold cereals
>and milk is reasonably nutritious, and probably better than sending
>someone out with a package of poptarts.

As an alternative to cereal let me suggest that you try what I do --
every morning a slice or two of DRY STALE toast -- I put it in the
toaster the night before, broken up with a sliced banana, some milk
and sugar or saccharine you have a "breakfast cereal" at pennies per
pound -- check the price per pound of Cap'n Crunch or even Wheaties.

ward

"Criticism of the federal government's anti-terrorism policies
is nothing less than treason. .. to those who scare peace-loving
people with phantoms of lost liberty, my message is this: your
tactics only aid terrorists, for they erode our national unity
and diminish our resolve."

Ashcroft before the Senate Judiciary Comittee

Robin

Jan 7, 2002, 10:32:46 PM1/7/02
My hubby hates these commercials too. I don't particularly like them,
but they do make you remember the name of the brand. And remember who
their target market is. Teenage boys are the users of a LOT of the
computers that get purchased. It's a concious strategy by advertisers
and their agencies. Sometimes recall is more important that the ads
being liked.

> On Mon, 07 Jan 2002 13:02:42 GMT, "Chloe" <just...@spam.com> wrote:
>
> >DH says I'm the only person in the world who hates that dweeb in the Dell

> >commercials. Is he right, or were they deliberately trying to be annoying?\

Robin

Jan 7, 2002, 10:38:24 PM1/7/02
I work in the advertising business. Most times, nobody has to PAY for
that exposure. If you are the advertiser, you provide that product
for FREE to the show or movie to get it shown. The movie studio or TV
show wants to have real products in their shows and movies. They both
benefit. Product placement is a really big part of the TV and movie
and advertising businesses. You can expect it to get more prominent
and common...

Dave Hitt

Jan 8, 2002, 3:17:08 PM1/8/02
dmeyer...@panix.com wrote:

I see lots of Apples on TV and in the movies. I've never seen a Mac
in a real hospital, but it's not uncommon for fictional hospitals to
be full of them. The same goes for offices - unless its a publishing
house, most offices are PC based, except for TV and movies.

I'd guess that Apple is supplying them all for free, in a desperate
attempt to increase market share.

Wendy

Jan 9, 2002, 12:34:34 AM1/9/02
In article <d1gj3u0aqkv83i9ud...@4ax.com>,
p_conrad <pm_mcmo...@cheatsearch.com> wrote:

>You've got to be kidding! That's one of the best ads ever! It does
>nothing to sell the product, but it's really funny. Just think of it
>as a little joke the ad agency played on the sponsor. At the end of

My husband has a theory that a *lot* of commercials are deliberatly
subversive. The "you want it" commercial for example, which strongly
implies that you'd only buy that car if convinced through sublminal
advertising. Or my favorite example, the "Pringles" commercial that
compared eaters of Pringles to cows chewing their cud.

Or perhaps the ad people have some kind of contest to see just how far
they can get away with insulting our intelligence. Perhaps in
competition with the people who develop the products.

mintytasty

Jan 9, 2002, 2:23:01 AM1/9/02
"~^ beancounter ~^" <scc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<znLZ7.6269$Vz3.7...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
> people will pay for convince...a working, single
> mom making 80k may not mind spending an
> extra $1.55 for someone else to slice up the
> meat and package it w/two crackers......
>
> if doing the extra work would take more than
> 2 min of her time...it is cheaper to pay the "convince
> charge"...why do you think they sell the pre washed and cut up
> lettuce in the small plastic bags??...convince...

Don't get me started on kids and food in the present day, but suffice
to say products such as Lunchables are truly evil, for many reasons.
Just pick up a copy of "Fast Food Nation," and you might be singing a
different tune.

mintytasty

Jan 9, 2002, 2:41:00 AM1/9/02
"P. Newman" <pone...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3C386026...@yahoo.com>...

> The commercial for the Pillsbury Dinner Rolls gets my vote. In
> the commercial the mother is serving dinner to her family at all
> different times and these rolls are such a blessing to have on
> hand to make her meals so easy.
>
> I don't know what she's serving for the rest of the meal but a
> dinner roll is the last thing I would consider to make a
> nutritious meal. Maybe they're on a bread and water diet.
>
> I shake my head in disbelief every time it airs.
>
> Pat in NJ

Why can't Dad help out with dinner, or hasn't Pillsbury yet reached
2002? I loathe all Pillsbury ads, because of the "Mom-centric" focus
(barf). Cleaning products are gulity of this, too. Are we a nation of
deadbeat dads, or was my dad the only one to assume most of the
cooking and half the cleaning roles? Maybe they were just too gosh
darn progressive for their own good, but I really want to throw
something every time I see one of these commercials.
The product that makes me really angry is the sheet of perforated
cookie dough pieces you place on a baking sheet. OK, I'm *too* LAZY to
open a package of cookie dough and slice? Better yet, making them from
scratch is REALLY not difficult.

Elana Kehoe

Jan 9, 2002, 7:01:15 AM1/9/02
Dave Hitt <Boy....@Hate.spammers> wrote:

> I see lots of Apples on TV and in the movies. I've never seen a Mac
> in a real hospital, but it's not uncommon for fictional hospitals to
> be full of them. The same goes for offices - unless its a publishing
> house, most offices are PC based, except for TV and movies.
>
> I'd guess that Apple is supplying them all for free, in a desperate
> attempt to increase market share.

Apples are more common in the tv/film industry than PC's. At one job, I
remember everyone feeling sympathy for the accounting department, who
had to use Windows while the rest of us were all on Macs.

It's not difficult to get free computers if you're doing a tv show or
film...most computer companies have specific offices set up to send out
the evaluation computers. I've dealt with both Apple and Compaq at one
of my jobs, getting and then returning the computers. I've done the
same with sodas as well...

Mike

Jan 9, 2002, 8:50:47 AM1/9/02

"mintytasty" <moista...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The product that makes me really angry is the sheet of perforated
> cookie dough pieces you place on a baking sheet. OK, I'm *too* LAZY to
> open a package of cookie dough and slice? Better yet, making them from
> scratch is REALLY not difficult.

But making the dough is too much of a drag. IMO, the Nestle brand of
pre-fab cookie dough is a great solution for lazy folks who aren't very good
in the kitchen. You just squeeze out enough to make a half dozen or so
cookies, and 10 minutes later...munch-munch! Perfect for single folks like
myself.

Having said that, there's still nothing that beats homemade cookies. Over
the holidays, relatives gave me enough Christmas cookies to last well into
summer. Not to sound ungrateful, but there's a limit as to how many
Christmas tree shaped cookies (the ones with green/red sugar sprinkled on
top) one person can eat.

Mike - who prefers snicker doodles to Christmas tree shaped cookies

Dennis

Jan 9, 2002, 11:30:59 AM1/9/02
On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 08:50:47 -0500, "Mike" <st...@shovel.com> wrote:

>Having said that, there's still nothing that beats homemade cookies.

I can think of a couple of things. But nothing that is an appropriate
holiday gift for relatives. ;-)

Dennis (evil)

Dennis

Jan 9, 2002, 11:34:27 AM1/9/02
On Wed, 09 Jan 2002 12:01:15 GMT, elana.s...@zen.org (Elana
Kehoe) wrote:

> I've dealt with both Apple and Compaq at one
>of my jobs, getting and then returning the computers. I've done the
>same with sodas as well...

Really? I'm surprised that they would want you to return them when
done with them. :-)

Dave Hitt

Jan 9, 2002, 11:57:15 AM1/9/02
home...@deeptht.armory.com (Wendy) wrote:

>In article <d1gj3u0aqkv83i9ud...@4ax.com>,
>p_conrad <pm_mcmo...@cheatsearch.com> wrote:
>
>>You've got to be kidding! That's one of the best ads ever! It does
>>nothing to sell the product, but it's really funny. Just think of it
>>as a little joke the ad agency played on the sponsor. At the end of
>
>My husband has a theory that a *lot* of commercials are deliberatly
>subversive. The "you want it" commercial for example, which strongly
>implies that you'd only buy that car if convinced through sublminal
>advertising.

I never paid much attention to car commercials, until I was in the
market for a car. Then I watched them, trying to learn any
information that might be useful. There wasn't a single one of them
that told me anything useful about the car. Not one. They all said
I'd be cooler, smarter, more adventitious, and get laid more often,
but none told me anything even remotely useful towards deciding which
one would suit my purposes.

>Or perhaps the ad people have some kind of contest to see just how far
>they can get away with insulting our intelligence. Perhaps in
>competition with the people who develop the products.

I believe the 800 # commercials have one that one handily.

Mike

Jan 9, 2002, 12:21:38 PM1/9/02

"Dennis" <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 08:50:47 -0500, "Mike" <st...@shovel.com> wrote:
>
> >Having said that, there's still nothing that beats homemade cookies.
>
> I can think of a couple of things. But nothing that is an appropriate
> holiday gift for relatives. ;-)
>
> Dennis (evil)

I would have preferred the bags been stuffed with $50s, rather than cookies,
but what can you do?

Transporting money is easy. But trying to stuff numerous bags of cookies
into a rather small travel bag is truly a bitch. Good thing I wasn't picked
out for one of those "random" security checks prior to boarding the plane
back home - no way in hell I could have ever managed to get all those damn
cookies back in.

Dave Hitt

Jan 9, 2002, 12:01:07 PM1/9/02
elana.s...@zen.org (Elana Kehoe) wrote:

>Dave Hitt <Boy....@Hate.spammers> wrote:
>
>> I see lots of Apples on TV and in the movies. I've never seen a Mac
>> in a real hospital, but it's not uncommon for fictional hospitals to
>> be full of them. The same goes for offices - unless its a publishing
>> house, most offices are PC based, except for TV and movies.
>>
>> I'd guess that Apple is supplying them all for free, in a desperate
>> attempt to increase market share.
>
>Apples are more common in the tv/film industry than PC's. At one job, I
>remember everyone feeling sympathy for the accounting department, who
>had to use Windows while the rest of us were all on Macs.
>
>It's not difficult to get free computers if you're doing a tv show or
>film...most computer companies have specific offices set up to send out
>the evaluation computers. I've dealt with both Apple and Compaq at one
>of my jobs, getting and then returning the computers. I've done the
>same with sodas as well...

Too bad you have to return them. That would be a great incentive to
use one brand over another - letting the production company keep them
afterwards.

As in IT tech, its always amusing to see banks and hospitals and small
offices with the latest, greatest flat screens and wizz bang stuff.
In the real world, most of them (especially banks) will fight tooth
and nail against buying anything new, preferring to repair and fix and
duct tape and patch old crap until it just absoutly, positively won't
run any longer.

It is loading more messages.