Why I didn't buy TurboTax AGAIN this year

1 view

The Real Bev

Apr 13, 2010, 11:32:45 PM4/13/10
I'm a member of the Inner Circle, those brilliant few who offer their opinion
of Intuit's products (which I used to love). As a valued member, I am given
the opportunity to purchase TT direct from the factory at a price considerably
more than I can buy it at Costco or one of the office big box stores; the
advantage, of course, is that I get it SOONER than it appears on the shelves.

Several years ago they priced themselves out of the market -- requiring me to
spend significantly more in order to get Schedule C capability to additionally
do taxes for a handyman making under $15K/year. I bought Tax Cut (H&RBlock)
instead. Clunkier, but it does the job just as well -- except for not printing
the IRS address on my 1040-ES forms, an address which was NOT easy to find
through the regular channels.

Anyway, today TT wanted me to renew my "membership" by answering a few
questions about which variety of TT I used this year. For the first time I
answered truthfully -- NONE. I figured they'd wonder why. Nope. They just
said 'Sorry, you gotta buy in to be a member.'

They have previously ignored my suggestion that they give previous 'valued
customers' a price break. They are now unconcerned about the reasons that
'valued customers' shopped elsewhere. It may be noted That Washington Mutual
didn't care why I was so angry when I closed our accounts. I think there's a
lesson there.

I used to think Intuit was a good company producing a good product. Now
they're just one more company that deserves a trip down the drain.

--
Cheers, Bev
Far away in a strange land

The Real Bev

Apr 13, 2010, 11:44:24 PM4/13/10
On 04/13/2010 08:32 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> I used to think Intuit was a good company producing a good product. Now
> they're just one more company that deserves a trip down the drain.

Addendum: Not a single one of the 'Contact Us' links worked. Not email, not
chat, not list-of-phone-numbers. They weren't even LINKS for Chrissake, just
empty 'click here' boxes.

Bob F

Apr 14, 2010, 12:04:58 AM4/14/10

I gave up on TT when they started the absurd copy protection scheme that would
make it unable to operate if you upgraded your computer after initial
installation. Since I constantly upgrade my PC, this was not acceptable. I
switched to TaxCut, and have been a happy user ever since. I actually find
TaxCut (not H&R Block) easier to use anyway.

I cheat, and buy it off Ebay early in February. Last year it was $4. This year
$10 for the basic version. I don't need a state tax program.

Doesn't TurboTax have a free online version?

Rod Speed

Apr 14, 2010, 1:57:50 AM4/14/10
The Real Bev wrote:
> I'm a member of the Inner Circle, those brilliant few who offer their
> opinion of Intuit's products (which I used to love). As a valued
> member, I am given the opportunity to purchase TT direct from the
> factory at a price considerably more than I can buy it at Costco or
> one of the office big box stores; the advantage, of course, is that
> I get it SOONER than it appears on the shelves.
> Several years ago they priced themselves out of the market --
> requiring me to spend significantly more in order to get Schedule C
> capability to additionally do taxes for a handyman making under
> $15K/year. I bought Tax Cut (H&RBlock) instead. Clunkier, but it
> does the job just as well -- except for not printing the IRS address
> on my 1040-ES forms, an address which was NOT easy to find through
> the regular channels.
> Anyway, today TT wanted me to renew my "membership" by answering a few
> questions about which variety of TT I used this year. For the first
> time I answered truthfully -- NONE. I figured they'd wonder why. Nope. They just said 'Sorry, you gotta buy in to be
> a member.'
>
> They have previously ignored my suggestion that they give previous
> 'valued customers' a price break. They are now unconcerned about the
> reasons that 'valued customers' shopped elsewhere. It may be noted
> That Washington Mutual didn't care why I was so angry when I closed
> our accounts. I think there's a lesson there.

Yeah, that you dont matter a damn to anyone.

Vic Smith

Apr 14, 2010, 7:13:40 AM4/14/10

You shouldn't get emotionally involved with a corporation.
TT will be around a long time.
I've been using it for years. Went to TaxCut one year because TT was
priced too high, and regretted it.
Might be because I'm just accustomed to the TT style.
But I've done up to 7 returns in a year for me, my ex and my kids.
Down to 4 returns this year.
Think I paid $42 for the TT Deluxe. That included the state.
Maybe the cheapest ever, since they always charged about 20 bucks
for the state software before.
Think I found the best price on Amazon.
Just the fact that I can do futures contracts for my return without
filling in the actual gov forms, wading through IRS pubs, and doing
math calcs makes it worth that for me.
What griped me the most in past years is the e-filing fee, usually
$14.95 per return.
I'd usually print and mail, which is inefficient for me and guv.
And my printer always picks tax time to run out of ink.
This year TT allowed e-filing all the Fed returns free.
But they want $19.95 for a state e-file.
Went to state web site to e-file those at no charge.
Took about 15 minutes each.
Probably would have spent hours and hours reading IRS pubs to get the
info on correct filing, deductions, etc, then doing calculations and
rechecking math - TT did that for me.
It's always been useful for quickly finding out which way to go with
dependents too, if you're in that situation.
My daughter started school teaching last year, and TT nicely
highlighted a "teachers expense" deduction during the step-by-step
that paid for the TT cost right there.
I might well have missed that.
Remember going to the post office or bank to get IRS pubs?
I could go on and on.
But if you don't find TT useful, just don't use it.
No sense taking it personally.
This year and last TT presents a marketing form to fill out before you
get into it. That pissed me off and I didn't like doing the 2 clicks
to get past it, but now it's automatic.
While I'm here, I'll mention a possible frugal way to score cheap TT.
Most people don't know that if you don't owe tax, April 15th is
meaningless. You've got to October to file with no penalty.
And if you owe a small amount, the late-filing penalties are light
anyway.
I've seen TT real cheap on eBay after April 15th, so you can get it
practically free.
But basically, if for some reason they get behind on things, folks
shouldn't get all stressed about that April 15th date.
Not recommending procrastination, though I'm often a fan of that.
Just that April 15th is not worth worrying about.
Better to worry if that itching means the dog has fleas.

--Vic

Apr 14, 2010, 9:39:43 AM4/14/10

"The Real Bev" <bashle...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Several years ago they priced themselves out of the market -- requiring me
> to spend significantly more in order to get Schedule C capability to
> additionally do taxes for a handyman making under $15K/year.

Agreed. To buy turbo tax this year, with all the schedules I need, would
have cost me $99. And if there was a problem down the line it's not like TT
would come to the audit! My CPA only charges me $75 to do my taxes with a
LOT of schedules, and he always finds me more deductions than I could find
on my own. This year he saved me $900 over what I had figured out. That
said, the only reason he's so cheap is that I've already sorted out
absolutely every number he could possibly need and provided a spreadsheet
with all the data. He's worth the money because he knows how to get the most
out of those numbers.

SMS

Apr 14, 2010, 12:11:15 PM4/14/10
On 13/04/10 8:32 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> I used to think Intuit was a good company producing a good product. Now
> they're just one more company that deserves a trip down the drain.

It's ridiculously priced these days. Plus if you have a complex tax
return it isn't very useful.

Bob F

Apr 14, 2010, 2:21:15 PM4/14/10
Bob F wrote:

That should be

> I actually find TaxCut (now H&R Block) easier to use
> anyway.

The Real Bev

Apr 14, 2010, 8:04:13 PM4/14/10

Probably, and I think my brokers do too. I just feel happier with my data on
MY machine, not theirs.

The Real Bev

Apr 14, 2010, 8:09:21 PM4/14/10

Capital gains, schedule C, foreign tax credit... Used to have office-at-home
and 179 direct expense stuff. It's been a long time since we had any
deductions to itemize that are even a small fraction of the standard deduction.

I used to read Pub 17. Now I just feed in numbers.

Bob F

Apr 15, 2010, 12:44:18 PM4/15/10
The Real Bev wrote:

>> Doesn't TurboTax have a free online version?
>
> Probably, and I think my brokers do too. I just feel happier with my
> data on MY machine, not theirs.

I agree with that 100%. Some people don't seem to care.

Bob F

Apr 15, 2010, 12:46:12 PM4/15/10

I never had a problem with TaxCut doing all that plus self employment, rentals,
and Schedule K's.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Apr 15, 2010, 2:00:20 PM4/15/10
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:44:24 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashle...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 04/13/2010 08:32 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> I used to think Intuit was a good company producing a good product. Now
>> they're just one more company that deserves a trip down the drain.
>
>Addendum: Not a single one of the 'Contact Us' links worked. Not email, not
>chat, not list-of-phone-numbers. They weren't even LINKS for Chrissake, just
>empty 'click here' boxes.

Ah yes. That seems to be more common these days. Pageplus cellular
is doing much the same. Companies just don't want to be bothered.

Steve Daniels

Apr 15, 2010, 9:29:14 PM4/15/10
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:32:45 -0700, against all advice, something
compelled The Real Bev <bashle...@gmail.com>, to say:

> I used to think Intuit was a good company producing a good product. Now
> they're just one more company that deserves a trip down the drain.

I used these guys:

https://www.taxactonline.com/

I spent $33 to file on line, but it's my fault for
procrastinating so long. They remembered my form data from last
year, and the site was relatively easy to navigate.

I have one W2, property tax, mortgage and student loan interest,
a bit of charitable giving, and a credit for energy efficient
windows. My taxes were done in about an hour, and I'm just
waiting for my refund to show up in my checking account.

I'm planning on using them again next year, FWIW.

root

Apr 16, 2010, 1:28:15 AM4/16/10

Just like old times seeing you and TRB posting Harry.

Joh...@badisp.org

Apr 16, 2010, 10:40:16 PM4/16/10
Steve Daniels <sdan...@gorge.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:32:45 -0700, against all advice, something
>compelled The Real Bev <bashle...@gmail.com>, to say:
>
>> I used to think Intuit was a good company producing a good product. Now
>> they're just one more company that deserves a trip down the drain.

>I used these guys:

>https://www.taxactonline.com/

Me too. Every year I pirated Tax Cut or Turbo Tax (sometimes both)
from the Russians and this year wasn't any different. Lo and behold
when I came to use it I found that they no longer support Win2K!
Bummer! But it turns out TaxAct does and for $20 (including state)
it's not worth pirating.

>I spent $33 to file on line, but it's my fault for
>procrastinating so long. They remembered my form data from last
>year, and the site was relatively easy to navigate.

Yeah well I don't file on line (I suppose you mean e-file). Don't
trust it. Paper was good enough for the founding fathers so it's good
enough for me.

Rod Speed

Apr 18, 2010, 12:18:27 AM4/18/10

Letters were good enough for the founding fathers, but even you use usenet.