We made cheese last night

Rick

Jan 9, 2009, 9:21:51 AM1/9/09
Hello all,

We attended a short class on how to make cheese last night. It turned
out very nice.

We did a very basic recipe.
1 gal milk (we used whole milk)
1 tsp calcium chloride (because we didn't h have raw milk)
1/2 cup lemon juice (to seperate the curds and wey)

After we pressed it through the cheese cloth, we salted it to taste.

Unsalted, it tasted like flour paste. It wasn't very pleasant at
all. However, after it sat for a few minutes with the salt mixed in,
the flavor was much better.

It made about a pound - the size of softball.

How many people make their own cheese here?
What knid do you make?

Regards,

Rick Boesen
Olivet, MI
www.FiberArtFest.com
www.QuesoCabezaFarm.com

Evelyn Leeper

Jan 9, 2009, 10:27:28 AM1/9/09
Rick wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We attended a short class on how to make cheese last night. It turned
> out very nice.
>
> We did a very basic recipe.
> 1 gal milk (we used whole milk)
> 1 tsp calcium chloride (because we didn't h have raw milk)
> 1/2 cup lemon juice (to seperate the curds and wey)
>
> After we pressed it through the cheese cloth, we salted it to taste.
>
> Unsalted, it tasted like flour paste. It wasn't very pleasant at
> all. However, after it sat for a few minutes with the salt mixed in,
> the flavor was much better.
>
> It made about a pound - the size of softball.
>
> How many people make their own cheese here?
> What knid do you make?

Yogurt cheese--put some yogurt in something like a coffee cone/filter
(or strainer lined with filter paper, or whatever), set over a glass to
catch the liquid (which is healthy to drink), and put in the fridge
overnight.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Be braver. You cannot cross a chasm in two small jumps.

Nicik Name

Jan 13, 2009, 7:24:02 PM1/13/09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBPYopcoeqs&feature=channel_page