We are breeding Couch Potatoes

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Feb 28, 2011, 9:14:26 AM2/28/11
On Feb 27, 5:51 am, Neolibertarian <cognac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > > Restaurant food isn't designed to be healthy, it's designed to be a
> > > treat--lots of fat, sugar, salt. Mmmmmmmm, my mouth's watering just
> > > thinking about it. You want to eat at a restaurant 5 or 7 nights a week,
> > > that's your business. On the other paw, the restauranteur's business is
> > > making a profit. It isn't to keep you fit and trim and to help you cut
> > > down your triglycerides--some things in this life just have to be YOUR
> > > responsibility. He's there to turn a dollar, and you're there to spend
> > > it. He serves tasty food, because that's what brings in customers to a
> > > restaurant.
>
> > > If you don't like that arrangement, you need to go home and fix yourself
> > > a fruit salad.
>
> > At least we got some good info from you this time.
>
> You did? Where did I put any in the last post?
>
> > But 'Fast Food
> > Nation' reveals a lot evils in the industry.
>
> This is a projection.
>
> There are no evils in the fast food industry, friend. Certainly not the
> ones you imagine.
>
> Only you have the power to turn that industry into an evil, not Ray
> Kroc, not Dave Thomas, not Harlan Sanders. Those men just thought you
> deserved a break today; that you should have it your way; that their
> products should be finger lickin' good. All at an extraordinarily
> reasonable price.
>
> I'm afraid if there's any evil in that equation, you're the one that
> introduced it--not them.
>
> "Don't give me what I want!" you exclaim.
>
> > I can cite my own issues
> > with it. No suits, for example, are allowed against the fast food
> > industry for getting kids addicted to it.
>
> If it were addictive, then you'd get stomach cramps when you tried to
> quit. Nausea, vomiting, insomnia, pains in the muscles and joints.
> That's what addiction is. Kids don't get addicted to fast food.
>
> Besides, a pediatrician will tell you that kids need high amounts of
> protein. Children actually /need/ lots of lipids in their food. And they
> get all that in a Happy Meal, plus they get their favorite Disney movie
> toy as well.
>
> If you, as a parent, take them every day, every other day, or once a
> week to McDonalds, don't be surprised that they continue that pattern
> into their adulthoods. You've set the stage, and you've helped formed
> their habits.
>
> This is Ray Kroc's fault?
>
> "Don't make your product too available!" you protest. "Don't give me
> what I want!" you scream. "You're evil if you provide what I ask for,
> when I ask for it, just the way I like it!" you whine.
>
> > 'The Jungle' though reveals some eternal truths:
>
> > It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his job
> > depends on not understanding it. -Upton Sinclair
>
> There's always a Bradley Manning in any organization. Otherwise, where
> would the Sinclairs of this world get their material?

Our children are submitted to a triple attack:

1- Junk food, TV advertising in Scandinavian countries is banned for
children under 12 and limited in the UK (second fattest nation),

2- Consumption (toys, etc) ditto,

3- No physical activity, I've seen only one community where the
children timidly ride bikes on sidewalks (a Jewish town). You may
consider them "crazy" or brave to do so and rebel.

In other words, WE ARE BREEDING COUCH POTATOES AND CONSUMERS.

My girlfriend's son (Jehova's Witness, waiting for Jesus) is 30
something, obese and diabetic. They don't have much of a chance in the
fast food, couch potato culture.

Put that Hunter Gatherer to work!

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Feb 28, 2011, 10:08:42 AM2/28/11
On Feb 28, 9:26 am, "C. E. White" <cewhi...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> "JoeSpareBedroom" <newstr...@frontiernet.net> wrote in message

> > "C. E. White" <cewhi...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>
> >> "JoeSpareBedroom" <newstr...@frontiernet.net> wrote in message

> >> I am sure their are such people, but I don't know many of them. Most
> >> people I know have the opportunity to decrease their use of
> >> gas/oil/electricity significantly. The fact that they choose not to tells
> >> me the price of oil is not so out of whack as some people claim.
>
> >> Ed
>
> > Out of whack when? This week, or three weeks ago? It's got almost nothing
> > to do with supply and demand.
>
> Sure it does - with preceived supply. Is there plenty of oil, yes there is.
> Are people now riding around with an extra 5 gallons on average - I bet many
> are. Panic buying leads to price increases. Oil companies want to make as
> much as they can (as do I). I suppose you are one of the hopeless liberal
> whiners who wants to blame all of the worlds problems on big corporations.
> Man-up, quit being a whiner. If demand drops by 10% gasoline prices will
> fall. Do something positive. Quit spreading the loser gospel.
>
> Ed

You are half right. The problem is the status quo doesn't allow to go
that "extra mile" without a car:

'Most U.S. roads lack safe travel lanes for cyclists and few offices
provide secure places for employees to lock up their bikes or showers
for employees to use once they arrive at work. Until more support
systems are in place, Gamstetter says, it will be hard to entice new
people to try casual cycling or pedaling to work.

"We're up against the S.U.V.," says Gamstetter. "Culturally, the bike
scene in the United States has a long way to go."'

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/CuttingEdge/story?id=97909&page=3

***

So what is the solution if not the revolution?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Feb 28, 2011, 6:45:46 PM2/28/11
On Feb 28, 11:40 am, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." <p...@hovnanian.com> wrote:

> His Highness the TibetanMonkey, aka Comandante Banana wrote:
>

> > 'Most U.S. roads lack safe travel lanes for cyclists and few offices
> > provide secure places for employees to lock up their bikes or showers
> > for employees to use once they arrive at work. Until more support
> > systems are in place, Gamstetter says, it will be hard to entice new
> > people to try casual cycling or pedaling to work.
>
> The radical cyclist activists don't want bicycle lanes. They are standing by
> (or in some cases pushing) to have the few existing bicycle lanes shut down
> and replaced by cute little "flattened bicycle" symbols painted on adjacent
> roadways.
>
> Here in Seattle, the pro-cycle lobby has been infiltrated by the anti-car
> activists. Bicycles and simply slow moving speed bumps.

They almost had me convinced and now they turn out to be radicals? ;)

The problem with the bike lanes is that we have many of them but they
are never connected or lead where you go, so you must survive with
traffic...

Wait, not barely survive. WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO TAKE THE LANE! Cars go
around and everybody happy.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 1, 2011, 8:51:25 AM3/1/11
On Feb 28, 10:03 pm, Neolibertarian <cognac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article
> <e2a02699-8c76-4642-a4a3-93d1760c4...@t19g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,

> "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, aka Comandante Banana"
>

> <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > This is Ray Kroc's fault?
>
> > > "Don't make your product too available!" you protest. "Don't give me
> > > what I want!" you scream. "You're evil if you provide what I ask for,
> > > when I ask for it, just the way I like it!" you whine.

> > > There's always a Bradley Manning in any organization. Otherwise, where
> > > would the Sinclairs of this world get their material?
>
> > Our children are submitted to a triple attack:
>
> > 1- Junk food, TV advertising in Scandinavian countries is banned for
> > children under 12 and limited in the UK (second fattest nation),
>
> > 2- Consumption (toys, etc) ditto,
>
> > 3- No physical activity, I've seen only one community where the
> > children timidly ride bikes on sidewalks (a Jewish town). You may
> > consider them "crazy" or brave to do so and rebel.
>
> > In other words, WE ARE BREEDING COUCH POTATOES AND CONSUMERS.
>
> Define "we."

"We the people"... We Americans have the highest obesity in the world.

> > My girlfriend's son (Jehova's Witness, waiting for Jesus) is 30
> > something, obese and diabetic. They don't have much of a chance in the
> > fast food, couch potato culture.
>

> Believe it or not, there are millions and millions and millions of
> Americans who aren't diabetic, aren't obese, and aren't couch potatoes.
> Yet they live in the exact same culture under the exact same
> circumstances.

Yeah, the choose the narrow winding path. They probably go to a gym in
order and then drive a truck to launch the bike.

> How is that?
>
> This catch all phrase "culture" needs to be defined even more than "we."
>
> Outlawing temptation isn't any way for a free man to behave in a free
> society, Mr. Imam.
>
> In other words, a tight miniskirt and open blouse didn't cause that man
> to rape the girl.

Hey, I'm all for freedoms, including the ones you fight with so much
zeal such as the War on Drugs to keep America "Drug Free."

When are you winning that one? ;)