7 things you're wasting money on

mcfl

Mar 21, 2009, 3:08:21 PM3/21/09

Rod Speed

Mar 21, 2009, 3:48:21 PM3/21/09
mcfl wrote:
> SmartMoney.com: http://atu.ca/WastingMoney

I dont waste money on any of those.

Devo

Mar 21, 2009, 7:48:07 PM3/21/09
In article <72kuk7F...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

Good !
--
It's amazing what you can do. If...
you put your mind to it.

New Leaf

Mar 22, 2009, 3:39:36 PM3/22/09
On Mar 21, 12:08 pm, mcfl <remai...@reece.net.au> wrote:
> SmartMoney.com:http://atu.ca/WastingMoney

I buy organic produce from a small produce market near us, but only
because it's cheaper than regular produce at the grocery store. Frex,
a bag of assorted bell peppers for $2 or 3 big English cukes for $2.
They also have red cabbages at 50 cents for half.

From what I see with my sons, the biggest money waster is ATM fees,
namely taking out $20 at a time from places that charge a fee on top
of the one your bank is charging. That is up to $4 for one $20
withdrawal. If I take it out at my bank's ATMs, the withdrawal has no
charge at all.

Also, buying premium gas in the belief that it will make your engine
run better, even if your owners' manual says to use regular.

Viv

Dave Garland

Mar 22, 2009, 6:45:04 PM3/22/09
New Leaf wrote:
> Also, buying premium gas in the belief that it will make your engine
> run better, even if your owners' manual says to use regular.

Speaking of gasoline, many (densely populated) places in the US and
Canada are covered by websites that track local gas prices at various
stations, so you can fill up where the best price is.
http://www.gasbuddy.com will show prices superimposed on a map, or
link you to a page for your local area.

Dave

Dave Garland

Mar 22, 2009, 6:46:49 PM3/22/09
Actually, they've got prices for some fairly small towns, too.
Organized by county.

tween...@mypacks.net

Mar 22, 2009, 7:05:25 PM3/22/09
On Mar 21, 3:08 pm, mcfl <remai...@reece.net.au> wrote:
> SmartMoney.com:http://atu.ca/WastingMoney

Guilty on the gym memberships. BUT, I know darned well if I didn't
pay to belong, I'd never exercise, especially in teh heat of the
summer. I have thought about Total Gym and all that, but know I'd let
it become a coatree. I don't smoke or drink, so can I let the gym be
my vice?

Marsha

Mar 22, 2009, 8:03:01 PM3/22/09
tween...@mypacks.net wrote:
> Guilty on the gym memberships. BUT, I know darned well if I didn't
> pay to belong, I'd never exercise, especially in teh heat of the
> summer. I have thought about Total Gym and all that, but know I'd let
> it become a coatree. I don't smoke or drink, so can I let the gym be
> my vice?

Our total gym has become a towel-drying rack.

Marsha

The Real Bev

Mar 22, 2009, 8:32:17 PM3/22/09
Marsha wrote:

That's why people who think they're going to use it should buy somebody else's
towel-drying rack. If you're lucky, somebody may pay you to take it away :-)

--
Cheers, Bev
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

tarkania...@spamgourmet.com

Mar 22, 2009, 10:37:02 PM3/22/09
most americans do not know how to save money. they jump on the
treadmill of must buy a house, believe everything their Realliar tells
them, and end up wishing they were dead from all the credit card debt

Rod Speed

Mar 22, 2009, 11:27:55 PM3/22/09
tarkania...@spamgourmet.com wrote:

> most americans do not know how to save money.

Have fun explaining one of the highest house ownership rates in the entire world.

Mar 22, 2009, 11:37:29 PM3/22/09

"New Leaf" <atchel...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

it's cheaper than regular produce at the grocery store. Frex,
>a bag of assorted bell peppers for $2 or 3 big English cukes for $2.
>They also have red cabbages at 50 cents for half.

>From what I see with my sons, the biggest money waster is ATM fees,
>namely taking out $20 at a time from places that charge a fee on top

Really? Your sons are morons. What idiot takes out money from a non-freebie
bank ATM? Actually, what idiot takes out cash, period? If you're still using
cash, you're an idiot. I seriously can't remember the last time I took cash
out of the bank's ATM. Must have been about 20 years ago. I buy everything
with my credit card and not only do I not pay any interest, they pay ME
$750-1000 per year in cash back incentives, depending on how much I spend.
All I have to do to avoid paying interest is to pay the balance in full
every month (same as if I paid with cash), and I get $250 cash back for
every 25K points, which accrues about every 3-5 months, depending on usage.

Mar 22, 2009, 11:40:05 PM3/22/09

<tarkania...@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message

> most americans do not know how to save money. they jump on the
> treadmill of must buy a house, believe everything their Realliar tells
> them, and end up wishing they were dead from all the credit card debt

Really?You obviously don't live in "America", since you know nothing about
real Americans. At least not the ones around here. And what the hell is a
"Realliar"? Go back to your own country.

JR Weiss

Mar 22, 2009, 11:43:30 PM3/22/09
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> most americans do not know how to save money.
>
> Have fun explaining one of the highest house ownership rates in the entire
> world.

Easy!

Mortgage terms that are virtually unheard of in the rest of the world --
no down payments; 115% loan:value; wraparound mortgages...

"House poor" people who spend WAY too much on their monthly mortgage
payments, yet have little or no equity.

Scumbag mortgage brokers who set up people in houses they KNOW are
unaffordable in the long term.

MORTGAGE CRISIS!

Rod Speed

Mar 23, 2009, 1:56:30 AM3/23/09
JR Weiss wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> most americans do not know how to save money.

>> Have fun explaining one of the highest house ownership rates in the entire world.

> Easy!

We'll see!!!

> Mortgage terms that are virtually unheard of in the rest of the
> world -- no down payments; 115% loan:value; wraparound mortgages...

Virtually all other first world countrys have all of those now.

> "House poor" people who spend WAY too much on their monthly mortgage payments, yet have little or no equity.

Nothing to do with one of the highest house ownership rates in the entire world.

> Scumbag mortgage brokers who set up people in houses they KNOW are unaffordable in the long term.

Plenty of flippers dont give a flying red fuck about the long term.

> MORTGAGE CRISIS!

Thats due to the real estate bubble, stupid.

Dave Garland

Mar 23, 2009, 3:05:38 AM3/23/09
h wrote:

> Actually, what idiot takes out cash, period? If you're still using
> cash, you're an idiot. I seriously can't remember the last time I took cash
> out of the bank's ATM. Must have been about 20 years ago. I buy everything
> with my credit card

Some people don't use cards, because they don't have them (no credit
history, poor credit history), because the deals offered on them are
not good (high annual fee, short grace period), or because they tend
to spend more when they put everything on plastic, or because they
don't like leaving a paper trail of everything that they do (in the
extreme case, there was a certain Ohio politician whose political
career was destroyed by doing so, but then he went on to host the
Jerry Springer Show, sounds like your kind of guy).

And then again, not everybody can find a newspaper box that accepts
credit cards. Some of us have trouble using them other places too,
such as taco stands, parking meters, farmer's markets, garage sales.
Some places won't take plastic unless it's over a certain amount
(often $10). But I'm sure that you, being special, live in a special
place.

Mar 23, 2009, 4:31:54 AM3/23/09

"Dave Garland" <dave.g...@wizinfo.com> wrote in message

Well...since I don't eat tacos or other junk foods (McD's takes plastic),
there are no parking meters where I live, I grow my own veggies, I don't
shop at garage sales (I only buy what I need, not what I merely "want"), and
my morning paper is delivered (and charged once a year to plastic) it's not
a problem. Also, at least according to my merchant agreement (NY), I am not
allowed to accept credit cards unless there are no restrictions on use. In
other words, it's not legal to have a minimum purchase amount. You can
charge a 1 cent stamp at the post office. If you are leading the kind of
life which could be "destroyed" by leaving a paper trail you deserve what
you get. Obviously it is you who live in a "special" place. Plonk.

Message has been deleted

Evelyn

Mar 23, 2009, 7:05:47 AM3/23/09
<tarkania...@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
> most americans do not know how to save money. they jump on the
> treadmill of must buy a house, believe everything their Realliar tells
> them, and end up wishing they were dead from all the credit card debt

You haven't got a clue about "most americans"....
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Mar 23, 2009, 3:40:40 PM3/23/09
Jim... wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>> mcfl wrote:
>>> SmartMoney.com: http://atu.ca/WastingMoney

>> I dont waste money on any of those.

> Did the honeymoon rate you scored for car insurance a while back vapourise?

Nope. Bit weird actually, its significantly cheaper to get a new policy every
year than to renew. I never could get any sensible answer on why when I
did check with an ape on the phone whether there was any downside with that.

They appear to do it that way to try to suck in more customers,
they offer a lower price with new policys than with renewals.

> That's the only one of those wasters I spend money on but I only
> have 3rd party property coverage so whatever I hit is covered.
> I'm not actually too comfortable with full insurance, it takes
> the power of controlling repair or choice away.

I really only bothered with it because we do have a significant number of
pickers and illegals around here and the last thing I wanted was to have
a new car written off and say the illegal deported so I couldnt get the
cost of a replacement out of them etc. The risk is very low, but since the
insurance was so cheap it was worth it for that very small risk.

> I've never had an overdraft or run into fees related to it.

Yeah, me neither and dont pay any interest on credit cards either.

> Gyms make no sense to me.

Yeah, fuck that, I walk around the streets. Not quite
as safe tho, we dont have footpaths here much.

> I refuse out of principle to ever buy bottled water,

Yeah, me too. I in fact bottle my own for the odd few ocassions where
I dont want to drink beer out of the house, just bottle tap water. Main
downside would be where grog isnt allowed, it wouldnt be that easy
to prove its just water without opening it since I put it in stubbys.

Could use the PETs instead if thats ever a problem, but I
dont go to the sort of big event where grog is banned anyway.

Last time I did it was the Temora Air Show where they had the FA18s.

> though I do buy demineralised water for the car.

I used to, havent done it with the new car yet tho.

> Organic produce goes against my beliefs,

Yeah, me too. Just got some potatoes from the neighbour in
return for setting up their new laptop, that I noticed lasted a
hell of a lot longer than the bags of them I get at Woolys etc,
havent gotten around to asking them where they came from.

> though I have bought some when it's priced below normal stuff.

Havent noticed any of those myself. I do buy almost entirely on price.

> I almost never use normal warranties even when problems occur, it can be
> difficult to do when you buy online or even travel to a major town to purchase.

I normally do claim on warrantys. Did very well with a decent Logitech
Cordless MX Duo. It did eventually die and they couldnt replace it with
a mouse with anything like the same button arrangement, so they gave
me a full refund. Which essentially meant that I had the use of it for 5
years for just the loss of interest on the purchase amount.

That was with a net order, from Briz. I just had to post the dead one back.

> Extended warranty for me would just be money wasted.

I did get an extended warranty on the fridge, but that was because it was so cheap.

> Pay for music? yeah right, this is usenet, look around.

Yeah, havent paid for music for decades, quite literally.

Never bought a DVD in my life.

Rod Speed

Mar 23, 2009, 3:44:16 PM3/23/09

I buy quite a bit of what I need at garage sales, particularly
bread machines and mixmasters and beer hardware etc.

> and my morning paper is delivered (and charged
> once a year to plastic) it's not a problem.

Mine has just had a change of ownership and it looks like its back to checks, fuckem.

The Real Bev

Mar 23, 2009, 4:26:38 PM3/23/09
h wrote:

I think he was being cute: Real-liar.

--
Cheers. Bev
It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament

Message has been deleted

Marsha

Mar 23, 2009, 7:22:23 PM3/23/09
JR Weiss wrote:
> Mortgage terms that are virtually unheard of in the rest of the world --
> no down payments; 115% loan:value; wraparound mortgages...
>
> "House poor" people who spend WAY too much on their monthly mortgage
> payments, yet have little or no equity.
>
> Scumbag mortgage brokers who set up people in houses they KNOW are
> unaffordable in the long term.

Those scumbag mortgage brokers started out because Democrats forced
banks to make loans easier to lower income people. Granted, some
brokers took that as license to run with it. Nevertheless, anyone with
an iota of common sense would know if they could afford a mortgage
payment or not, so it is ultimately the responsibility of the potential
homeowner. Instead, some people took home ownership as a right, instead
of a responsibility and privilege.

Marsha

Rod Speed

Mar 23, 2009, 8:13:51 PM3/23/09
Jim... wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Jim... wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Did the honeymoon rate you scored for car insurance a while back vapourise?

>> Nope. Bit weird actually, its significantly cheaper to get a new policy every
>> year than to renew. I never could get any sensible answer on why when I
>> did check with an ape on the phone whether there was any downside with that.

>> They appear to do it that way to try to suck in more customers,
>> they offer a lower price with new policys than with renewals.

> That is a very real situation and not one i'm happy with either.
> I've encountered it myself too.

Yeah, but its really just a small nuisance, I keep the year of manufacture
etc thats not in my head and just have to plug the numbers in online again.

>>> That's the only one of those wasters I spend money on but I only
>>> have 3rd party property coverage so whatever I hit is covered.
>>> I'm not actually too comfortable with full insurance, it takes
>>> the power of controlling repair or choice away.

>> I really only bothered with it because we do have a significant number of
>> pickers and illegals around here and the last thing I wanted was to have
>> a new car written off and say the illegal deported so I couldnt get the
>> cost of a replacement out of them etc. The risk is very low, but since
>> the insurance was so cheap it was worth it for that very small risk.

> Never stopped to think of that, we don't have any noticeable crime here.

We do have a significant car theft rate, but I park the car right up close
to the house and its not that easy to get it out past the trees so its unlikely
to get stolen and its unlikely many car thieves would bother with a Getz.

>>> I've never had an overdraft or run into fees related to it.

>> Yeah, me neither and dont pay any interest on credit cards either.

> I pay a little bit of interest on the credit card but just see it as a
> small price to pay for the convenience of having it for online shopping.
> Although it'd probably be more sensible to chop it up and grab one of
> the banks new debit cards.

I do most of my transactions on the debit card and only use the other one as a backup.

>>> Gyms make no sense to me.

>> Yeah, fuck that, I walk around the streets. Not quite
>> as safe tho, we dont have footpaths here much.

> At least both our towns are reasonably flat.

Yeah, tho we do have a decent hill at the back of town and
I do walk up the fire trail behind all the houses sometimes.

>>> I refuse out of principle to ever buy bottled water,

>> Yeah, me too. I in fact bottle my own for the odd few ocassions where
>> I dont want to drink beer out of the house, just bottle tap water. Main
>> downside would be where grog isnt allowed, it wouldnt be that easy
>> to prove its just water without opening it since I put it in stubbys.

> Fvck carrying water, most lavatories have a tap in them.

I find it more convenient to have it in the car. I just piss from the car too.

> If we go out i pack a bit of drink in the cooler i keep in the back
> of the car. Sody-pop from supermarket = 89c for 1.5 litres,

I only drink tap water and beer now, dont even bother with coffee anymore.

> sody-pop bought at a convenience place must be gold plated. Wife and I
> can't taste the difference, the same principle applies for other refreshments.

>> Could use the PETs instead if thats ever a problem, but I
>> dont go to the sort of big event where grog is banned anyway.

> Glass is a pain in the arse, too much mass and volume for too little capacity.

Yeah, and too noisy rolling around in a box in the car too.

> Also can be a hazard with yobbos throwing stubbies wherever they feel.

>> Last time I did it was the Temora Air Show where they had the FA18s.

>>> though I do buy demineralised water for the car.

>> I used to, havent done it with the new car yet tho.

> You must be close to due, but it does make sense to use pre-mixed
> coolant, rather than concentrated diluted with the demineralised water.

I thought you meant the battery.

> How is the car? Perfect still i'd expect.

Yeah, absolutely perfect. Havent had even a single warranty quibble at all.

I should tweak the fuel injection, its a little easy to stall
when its warmed up when driving off again after stopping
somewhere, just been to lazy to bother its so minor.

>>> Organic produce goes against my beliefs,

>> Yeah, me too. Just got some potatoes from the neighbour in
>> return for setting up their new laptop, that I noticed lasted a
>> hell of a lot longer than the bags of them I get at Woolys etc,
>> havent gotten around to asking them where they came from.

> Blasted potatoes are always expensive around here, but they really are a staple, frustrating.

Yeah, specially for me, the best price plastic bags of them start to go bad before they are all used.

>>> though I have bought some when it's priced below normal stuff.

>> Havent noticed any of those myself. I do buy almost entirely on price.

>>> I almost never use normal warranties even when problems occur, it can be
>>> difficult to do when you buy online or even travel to a major town to purchase.

>> I normally do claim on warrantys. Did very well with a decent Logitech
>> Cordless MX Duo. It did eventually die and they couldnt replace it with
>> a mouse with anything like the same button arrangement, so they gave
>> me a full refund. Which essentially meant that I had the use of it
>> for 5 years for just the loss of interest on the purchase amount.

>> That was with a net order, from Briz. I just had to post the dead one back.

I have just had the electronic bathroom scales fail, eats coil cells in a couple of days.

Cant find the damned checkout slip. Its got a 5 year warranty
so it should show up before the warranty runs out. No stock
in BigW so I had to buy another one anyway.

>>> Extended warranty for me would just be money wasted.

>> I did get an extended warranty on the fridge, but that was because it was so cheap.

> Was it worth the paper it was printed on.

Yeah, mate of mine claimed on his with his fridge, same model.

Mine hasnt failed tho, hopefully it wont now.

> Our car had one of the stock warranties when we bought it but
> i could see even then that it wasn't worth the price of the paper.

>>> Pay for music? yeah right, this is usenet, look around.

>> Yeah, havent paid for music for decades, quite literally.

>> Never bought a DVD in my life.

> I bet you've burnt a few though.

Yep, heaps.

New Leaf

Mar 23, 2009, 10:11:09 PM3/23/09
On Mar 22, 8:37 pm, "h" <tmcl...@searchmachine.com> wrote:
> "New Leaf" <atchelitz8...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

Yup. They're morons about money. Great students, have great part-time
jobs, but just don't get the money stuff.

Viv

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Mar 24, 2009, 3:01:37 AM3/24/09

> Yeah I went to a wedding at that Pioneer park a fair few years ago.

>>> Fvck carrying water, most lavatories have a tap in them.

>> I find it more convenient to have it in the car. I just piss from the car too.

> You've gotta find lavatories when you're married.

True.

>>> If we go out i pack a bit of drink in the cooler i keep in the back
>>> of the car. Sody-pop from supermarket = 89c for 1.5 litres,

>> I only drink tap water and beer now, dont even bother with coffee anymore.

>>> sody-pop bought at a convenience place must be gold plated. Wife and I
>>> can't taste the difference, the same principle applies for other refreshments.

>>> Glass is a pain in the arse, too much mass and volume for too little capacity.

>> Yeah, and too noisy rolling around in a box in the car too.

>>> Also can be a hazard with yobbos throwing stubbies wherever they feel.

> They hardly ever have crashes anymore, sort of takes the excitement out of it.

True. Tho those are quite interesting even without the crashes.

>>> You must be close to due, but it does make sense to use pre-mixed
>>> coolant, rather than concentrated diluted with the demineralised water.

>> I thought you meant the battery.

> That too, but the new calcium types are pretty care free.

Yeah, havent even bothered to check the levels in mine, so no need for demineralised.

>>> How is the car? Perfect still i'd expect.

>> Yeah, absolutely perfect. Havent had even a single warranty quibble at all.

>> I should tweak the fuel injection, its a little easy to stall
>> when its warmed up when driving off again after stopping
>> somewhere, just been to lazy to bother its so minor.

> The Accent I used to have had some sort of cut out that stalled the
> engine whenever I braked heavily, I think it was a g-force device
> designed to stop the fuel pump in case of an accident. Could that be
> what's happening?

Nar, this only needs a different throttle setting when cold and when warmed
up when taking off. It revs a bit faster when cold with the throttle closed.

No g effect, it isnt moving at that stage.

> And yes it was a nuisance but when I worked out what
> was doing it, became comfortable leaving it alone.

> Currently I'm looking into excuses to sell the current
> toy and grab one of those i30 diesel wagons.

My only real thing I would get in a replacement is a cruise control.

>>> Blasted potatoes are always expensive around here, but they really
>>> are a staple, frustrating.

>> Yeah, specially for me, the best price plastic bags
>> of them start to go bad before they are all used.

>> I have just had the electronic bathroom scales fail, eats coil cells in a couple of days.

> Only drama with our fancy scales is them using
> 2450 lithium cells but I think DX sell them now.

The one that failed uses the CR2430, you cant get that at the cheapest
places like Sams and GoLo but you can get it a DS and the chemists.

Needless to say I bought a pack of 20 off ebay for peanuts when the second
battery didnt last all that long and then found that they only last days.

The replacement uses the much more common C2032.

It just failed to start a moment ago, but came good after poking the
battery so hopefully it just needs the side wiper spring bent in a tad.

Message has been deleted

Vic Smith

Mar 24, 2009, 7:18:19 AM3/24/09
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:01:37 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Nar, this only needs a different throttle setting when cold and when warmed
>up when taking off. It revs a bit faster when cold with the throttle closed.

Nar, it won't be anything like that simple.
More likely a bad sensor or FUBAR computer.
You wait and see.
Best take it to the brand dealer and make a warranty claim.
My son tells me it's near impossible to find an honest and competent
independent auto mechanic in Oz.

--Vic

Rod Speed

Mar 24, 2009, 2:02:12 PM3/24/09
Jim... wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Jim... wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> The Accent I used to have had some sort of cut out that stalled the
>>> engine whenever I braked heavily, I think it was a g-force device
>>> designed to stop the fuel pump in case of an accident. Could that be
>>> what's happening?

>> Nar, this only needs a different throttle setting when cold and when warmed
>> up when taking off. It revs a bit faster when cold with the throttle closed.

>> No g effect, it isnt moving at that stage.

> Dunno about that, the idle speed is set by computer
> so you may find adjusting to be a touch tricky, dunno?

I'm not convinced about that. I expect I can just
adjust the throttle closed setting minimally.

>>> And yes it was a nuisance but when I worked out what
>>> was doing it, became comfortable leaving it alone.

>>> Currently I'm looking into excuses to sell the current
>>> toy and grab one of those i30 diesel wagons.

>> My only real thing I would get in a replacement is a cruise control.

> I would have said no a while back but with plenty of flat ground where
> i drive these days, i'd be happy to have it now. I've been a naughty
> boy for a while now and using the most frugal type of cruise control,
> locking the hand throttle on when driving the quiet highways, so a
> proper cruise control will be welcome now.

Yeah, thats where I want to use it, its dead flat for most of the trip around here.

> I think they waste a lot of fuel in hilly country though.

Dunno, if its done properly it shouldnt. But I dont need it there anyway.

>>> Only drama with our fancy scales is them using
>>> 2450 lithium cells but I think DX sell them now.

>> The one that failed uses the CR2430, you cant get that at the cheapest
>> places like Sams and GoLo but you can get it a DS and the chemists.

>> Needless to say I bought a pack of 20 off ebay for peanuts when the second
>> battery didnt last all that long and then found that they only last days.

>> The replacement uses the much more common C2032.

> I'm thinking those cr2032 ones will become about as universal as AAAs or even AAs soon enough.

Yeah, specially now that the power consumption of stuff like scales has dropped so much now.

> I keep a stack of them for spares here and
> actually deliberately choose equipment that uses them.

I used to avoid equipment that used them but have given up lately,
mainly because with stuff like electronic scales its almost impossible
to get anything else now and even when it is possible, it limits your
choice too much.

> The other lithium types will become more common too.

Yeah, got a large A4 size thing with what must be something like 50 coin cells for $2 or something.

>> It just failed to start a moment ago, but came good after poking the
>> battery so hopefully it just needs the side wiper spring bent in a tad.

> At least i haven't seen one of the buggers leak...yet.

Yeah, me neither.

Rod Speed

Mar 24, 2009, 2:05:03 PM3/24/09
Vic Smith wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>> Nar, this only needs a different throttle setting when cold and when warmed
>> up when taking off. It revs a bit faster when cold with the throttle closed.

> Nar, it won't be anything like that simple.

Why cant I just increase the closed throttle setting marginally ?

There must be some adjustment for that, it isnt practical to do it with no adjustment possible.

> More likely a bad sensor or FUBAR computer.
> You wait and see.
> Best take it to the brand dealer and make a warranty claim.

Its got a 5 year warranty, so I'll leave it till the end of that if I cant adjust it marginally myself.

> My son tells me it's near impossible to find an honest
> and competent independent auto mechanic in Oz.

Thats not right. I do most stuff myself anyway.

Vic Smith

Mar 24, 2009, 5:37:50 PM3/24/09
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 05:05:03 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Vic Smith wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>
>>> Nar, this only needs a different throttle setting when cold and when warmed
>>> up when taking off. It revs a bit faster when cold with the throttle closed.
>
>> Nar, it won't be anything like that simple.
>
>Why cant I just increase the closed throttle setting marginally ?

Most of the new stuff with fuel injection is all computer controlled,
with no manual adjustments. Speed sensors, temp sensors, etc, etc.
All feeding an ECU which runs things.
If you can't find a screw to adjust, you're stuck with doing
electronics diagnostics with various test tools - or isolating it to a
few possibilities and replacing stuff until the problem disappears.
But I never say never. Find a good book or internet site about your
car if you don't want to take it in.
Maybe there's a screw to turn somewhere.

--Vic

Gordon

Mar 24, 2009, 5:25:20 PM3/24/09
mcfl <rema...@reece.net.au> wrote in news:XBXGMR8S39894.1724652778
@reece.net.au:

> SmartMoney.com: http://atu.ca/WastingMoney

Nope,
Nope,
Nope,
Nope,
Nope,
Not even.
Nor that.

How about adding cable TV to that list?
How about monthly cell phone charges?
Credit card intrest?

Rod Speed

Mar 24, 2009, 5:26:01 PM3/24/09
Vic Smith wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Vic Smith wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Nar, it won't be anything like that simple.

>> Why cant I just increase the closed throttle setting marginally ?

> Most of the new stuff with fuel injection is all computer controlled,
> with no manual adjustments. Speed sensors, temp sensors, etc, etc.
> All feeding an ECU which runs things.
> If you can't find a screw to adjust, you're stuck with doing
> electronics diagnostics with various test tools - or isolating it to a
> few possibilities and replacing stuff until the problem disappears.

Yes, but the throttle itself must have some adjustment possible,
it isnt feasible to make them with no adjustment possible.

> But I never say never. Find a good book or internet site about your
> car if you don't want to take it in.
> Maybe there's a screw to turn somewhere.

Yeah, I bet there is, just because its not going to be
feasible to make a throttle with no adjustment possible.

Stray Dog

Mar 24, 2009, 7:11:14 PM3/24/09

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009, Rod Speed wrote:

> Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 06:48:21 +1100
> From: Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Subject: Re: 7 things you're wasting money on

> mcfl wrote:
>> SmartMoney.com: http://atu.ca/WastingMoney
>
> I dont waste money on any of those.

Don't waste your time reading anything Rod Speed writes.

Rod Speed

Mar 24, 2009, 8:11:07 PM3/24/09
Some gutless fuckwit psychopath with pathetic psychotic
delusions about being a dog, desperately cowering behind
Stray Dog desperately attempted to bullshit and lie its way out
of its predicament and fooled absolutely no one at all, as always.

No surprise that it got the bums rush, right out the door, onto its lard arse.

No surprise that its so pathetically bitter and twisted about it.

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Mar 25, 2009, 3:37:37 PM3/25/09
Jim... wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Jim... wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Dunno about that, the idle speed is set by computer
>>> so you may find adjusting to be a touch tricky, dunno?

>> I'm not convinced about that. I expect I can just
>> adjust the throttle closed setting minimally.

> Well worth looking into at least. It makes plenty of sense to me, a slight tweak may do the trick.

Yeah, its such a minor quirk that I havent bothered so far. Even when doing the
garage sales on saturday, with say 20 stops, I dont even get a stall every weekend.

It really just need marginally more throttle when taking off when warmed up.

I may even get into the swing of it without any tweaking at all its so minor.

It mostly happens when I'm getting out of a tight spot, like changing
direction when moving away from one garage sale and heading back
up the street from where I came in again. There are lots of cars around
when I do the zoom around first thing, and very tight streets most of them.

Shit the GPS is nice for that.

>>> I would have said no a while back but with plenty of flat ground where
>>> i drive these days, i'd be happy to have it now. I've been a naughty
>>> boy for a while now and using the most frugal type of cruise control,
>>> locking the hand throttle on when driving the quiet highways, so a
>>> proper cruise control will be welcome now.

>> Yeah, thats where I want to use it, its dead flat for most of the trip around here.

>>> I think they waste a lot of fuel in hilly country though.

>> Dunno, if its done properly it shouldnt. But I dont need it there anyway.

> Big city folk won't agree since they see the speed limit as the minimum allowable speed,

I do too |-)

I managed to get booked at 35K over the limit on the way back from the temora airshow.

Didnt realise what the penaltys had got to, that was deliberate. Its loss of license in NSW.

I fronted the magistrate and lied to my teeth. I said that it was the first time out of town
in a new car, lie, that I was driving back into the sun and wanted to get home before I
was driving directly into the sun with it low, truth, and that I hadnt been booked for 20
years. That was technically true, but just because I hadnt been out of town for that long.
It was a dead straight 10KM stretch, not even any trees at all and the cop car in the
other direction was the only other car on the road. The magistrate let me off with no fine.

> but I think it quite wasteful to race to the top of a hill only to have to slow
> down on the other side. When traffic allows I tend to crest somewhat slower.

I dont bother, but that was mostly work cars where they were paying for the petrol.

>>> I'm thinking those cr2032 ones will become about
>>> as universal as AAAs or even AAs soon enough.

>> Yeah, specially now that the power consumption of stuff like scales has dropped so much now.

>>> I keep a stack of them for spares here and actually
>>> deliberately choose equipment that uses them.

>> I used to avoid equipment that used them but have given up lately,
>> mainly because with stuff like electronic scales its almost impossible
>> to get anything else now and even when it is possible, it limits your
>> choice too much.

> Yeah me too but the world's changed. Never stops.

>>> The other lithium types will become more common too.

>> Yeah, got a large A4 size thing with what must be something like 50 coin cells for $2 or something.

> Easy to find the button cell types cheaply in the discount stores now,
> I suppose soon they'll card up a mixture of lithiums and flog them.

Thats what that one is, something like 15 different sizes.

> It'd be a handy way of having spares when they do.

Yeah, very handy indeed.

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Mar 25, 2009, 8:03:44 PM3/25/09

> OK it sounds just like my Accent, I used to stall it way
> too often too. I just put it down to my lack of throttle use.

Trouble with that theory is that it doesnt ever happen when cold
and where its parked, its much tigher than I ever get into at the
garage sales. I park it inside the line of trees right up close to
the house and you have to be quite careful getting it out of there.

>> Shit the GPS is nice for that.

> When they map the roads a bit more thoroughly I see the
> speed zone reading as being very useful, I often miss
> speed limit signs these days with driving being a busy thing.

Yeah, it would be nice to have an audible warning bip when you go over.

I am over almost all the time, but it would be handy
to have a warning when I am say 10K over the limit.

>> I do too |-)

> You were probably lucky the copper wrote your speed down from 45 over the limit.

He didnt write it down by much, I forget the numbers but I did look at the speed camera in his car.

>>> but I think it quite wasteful to race to the top of a hill only to have to slow
>>> down on the other side. When traffic allows I tend to crest somewhat slower.

>> I dont bother, but that was mostly work cars where they were paying for the petrol.

> Yeah those tend to be like low flying aeroplanes in the country, especially the Telstra 4WDs.

Yeah, I used to do that a lot, mainly because I was usually driving to canberra or melburg.

I flew to sydney most of the time.

>> Yeah, very handy indeed.

> One nice thing about the lithiums is shelf life, you can leave them ages and they work,

Yeah thats why I bought the 20 CR2430 for about what I paid for two in dick smith.

> standard button cells die in between uses, I hate the things.

Yeah, never use them myself.

SMS

Mar 26, 2009, 3:53:27 AM3/26/09
New Leaf wrote:

> From what I see with my sons, the biggest money waster is ATM fees,
> namely taking out $20 at a time from places that charge a fee on top

> of the one your bank is charging. That is up to $4 for one $20
> withdrawal. If I take it out at my bank's ATMs, the withdrawal has no
> charge at all.

Hmm, your son's aren't too bright huh?

Even my kid's, 11 & 15, understand that they should only use their debit
cards at ATMs that don't charge a fee (in their case, any Cardtronics
ATM), or that they should get cash back when making a purchase. You can
buy a candy bar at the drug store and use an ATM or debit card and get
cash back with no fee.

Since it's _their_ allowance they'd be pissing away in fees, they're not
too anxious to throw their own money away after it's been explained to
them how it all works.

Cheapo Groovo

Mar 26, 2009, 2:04:26 PM3/26/09
In article <XBXGMR8S3989...@reece.net.au>,
rema...@reece.net.au says...
> SmartMoney.com: http://atu.ca/WastingMoney

organic produce costs less in the long run then food that travels 1500
miles and then negatively affects your health

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 27, 2009, 1:12:12 PM3/27/09
On Mar 26, 2:04 pm, Cheapo Groovo <c...@nospam.com> wrote:
> In article <XBXGMR8S39894.1724652...@reece.net.au>,
> remai...@reece.net.au says...> SmartMoney.com:http://atu.ca/WastingMoney

> organic produce costs less in the long run then food that travels 1500
> miles and then negatively affects your health

What proof do you have that regular product negatively affects health?

SMS

Mar 31, 2009, 1:23:45 PM3/31/09
mcfl wrote:
> SmartMoney.com: http://atu.ca/WastingMoney

I'd say the biggest recurring monthly cost waster is what many people
are paying for wireless phone service and long distance phone service
because in most cases they could communicate equally well for far
less--they're not getting any real benefit from spending the extra money.

1. They'll buy plans with a huge number of monthly minutes with the idea
of doing all their long distance "for free" when they'd be much better
off using something like OneSuite (2.5¢/minute) or Talkloop (2¢/minute)
for peak, non-in-network, calls from a land-line.

2. They'll get the wrong prepaid service, and pay far too much in both
monthly minimums and per minute cost. I.e. you can get prepaid wireless
for 5.3¢/minute with a minimum cost of $2.50/month for excellent
coverage on a Verizon Mobile Virtual Network Operator (PagePlus) or you
can pay 20¢/minute on Virgin Mobile (see "http://prepaiduswireless.com/").

3. They'll waste money on texting plans when they'd be better off using
e-mail from home or work except when it's really necessary to text.

4. They'll sign up for all sorts of ridiculous services (or pay as they
go) for crap like ringtones, sending poor quality photos, games etc.

5. They'll sign up for $30/month data plans so they can be cool and web
browse anywhere, when they really would be fine with internet access at
home, work, school, restaurants, coffee houses, hotels, etc.. Of course
the cell phone companies are concerned about this so they won't sell you
a phone with Wi-Fi unless you sign up for a 3G data plan as well (they
used to be willing to do this, but no more so if you want a SmartPhone
with WiFi you have to pay full retail price for it, and activate it on a
prepaid service that doesn't require a data plan). Or buy a netbook.

Zee

Apr 2, 2009, 4:07:15 AM4/2/09
On Apr 1, 1:23 am, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
> mcfl wrote:
> > SmartMoney.com:http://atu.ca/WastingMoney
>
> I'd say the biggest recurring monthly cost waster is what many people
> are paying for wireless phone service and long distance phone service
> because in most cases they could communicate equally well for far
> less--they're not getting any real benefit from spending the extra money.
>
> 1. They'll buy plans with a huge number of monthly minutes with the idea
> of doing all their long distance "for free" when they'd be much better
> off using something likeOneSuite(2.5¢/minute) or Talkloop (2¢/minute)

> for peak, non-in-network, calls from a land-line.
>
> 2. They'll get the wrong prepaid service, and pay far too much in both
> monthly minimums and per minute cost. I.e. you can get prepaid wireless
> for 5.3¢/minute with a minimum cost of $2.50/month for excellent
> coverage on a Verizon Mobile Virtual Network Operator (PagePlus) or you
> can pay 20¢/minute on Virgin Mobile (see "http://prepaiduswireless.com/").
>
> 3. They'll waste money on texting plans when they'd be better off using
> e-mail from home or work except when it's really necessary to text.
>
> 4. They'll sign up for all sorts of ridiculous services (or pay as they
> go) for crap like ringtones, sending poor quality photos, games etc.
>
> 5. They'll sign up for $30/month data plans so they can be cool and web
> browse anywhere, when they really would be fine with internet access at
> home, work, school, restaurants, coffee houses, hotels, etc.. Of course
> the cell phone companies are concerned about this so they won't sell you
> a phone with Wi-Fi unless you sign up for a 3G data plan as well (they
> used to be willing to do this, but no more so if you want a SmartPhone
> with WiFi you have to pay full retail price for it, and activate it on a
> prepaid service that doesn't require a data plan). Or buy a netbook.

Very good points. People thought by signing up to an unlimited (which
isn't really true) service they can "save" more than say just like
what you've said pay as you go service like Onesuite.com

Also those unlimited service isn't really unlimited. Skype unlimited
service is actually limited to certain number of minutes and you can
same the same with MagicJack.

Zee

Apr 2, 2009, 4:12:31 AM4/2/09
On Mar 23, 3:39 am, New Leaf <atchelitz8...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> On Mar 21, 12:08 pm, mcfl <remai...@reece.net.au> wrote:
>
> > SmartMoney.com:http://atu.ca/WastingMoney
>
> I buy organic produce from a small produce market near us, but only
> because it's cheaper than regular produce at the grocery store. Frex,

> a bag of assorted bell peppers for $2 or 3 big English cukes for $2.
> They also have red cabbages at 50 cents for half.
>
> From what I see with my sons, the biggest money waster is ATM fees,
> namely taking out $20 at a time from places that charge a fee on top
> of the one your bank is charging. That is up to $4 for one $20
> withdrawal. If I take it out at my bank's ATMs, the withdrawal has no
> charge at all.
>
> Also, buying premium gas in the belief that it will make your engine
> run better, even if your owners' manual says to use regular.
>
> Viv

Actually I think for older cars, getting a premium gas (higher octane)
gives your car more mileage...by having more detergents to clean the
fuel lines and whatnot. Well thats my experience when I swithc to
premium from regular.

SMS

Apr 2, 2009, 11:35:46 AM4/2/09
Zee wrote:

> Very good points. People thought by signing up to an unlimited (which
> isn't really true) service they can "save" more than say just like
> what you've said pay as you go service like Onesuite.com

There are some prepaid plans that the major cell phone companies
desperately don't want anyone to know about, that don't get the
advertising of the ridiculously overpriced prepaid service like Virgin
Mobile, Tracfone, Net10, etc.

PagePlus (a Verizon MVNO) offers unlimited voice for $2.49/day,
inclusive of all taxes and fees. You can get it for $1.99/day if you
take one specific area code. That's $75 or $60/month for unlimited. On
April 15th they will offer a $40/month plan with 1500 minutes and 1500
text messages. Again, that $40 is inclusive of taxes and fees. And it's
on Verizon's excellent network so the coverage is far better than what
you get on Virgin, Mobile, Tracfone, or Net10.

My kids are on PagePlus. The texting is very inexpensive compared to
Verizon (8в versus 20в) and the minutes are 5.3в.

I really like OneSuite, especially with their international access
numbers. We've used the service in Canada, Taiwan, and Italy, but
probably the biggest savings we get is on Intra-LATA calls (calls within
your phone company's service area) and by not having a cell phone plan
with more minutes just for these calls.

Apr 2, 2009, 12:32:58 PM4/2/09

"SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message

???My Tracfone is about $5.99/month. How is that more expensive than
$1.99/DAY?

Rod Speed

Apr 2, 2009, 1:19:28 PM4/2/09
Zee wrote:
> On Mar 23, 3:39 am, New Leaf <atchelitz8...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>> On Mar 21, 12:08 pm, mcfl <remai...@reece.net.au> wrote:
>>
>>> SmartMoney.com:http://atu.ca/WastingMoney
>>
>> I buy organic produce from a small produce market near us, but only
>> because it's cheaper than regular produce at the grocery store. Frex,
>> a bag of assorted bell peppers for $2 or 3 big English cukes for $2.
>> They also have red cabbages at 50 cents for half.
>>
>> From what I see with my sons, the biggest money waster is ATM fees,
>> namely taking out $20 at a time from places that charge a fee on top
>> of the one your bank is charging. That is up to $4 for one $20
>> withdrawal. If I take it out at my bank's ATMs, the withdrawal has no
>> charge at all.
>>
>> Also, buying premium gas in the belief that it will make your engine
>> run better, even if your owners' manual says to use regular.

> Actually I think for older cars, getting a premium gas

> (higher octane) gives your car more mileage...

Yes, and not just older cars either.

> by having more detergents to clean the fuel lines and whatnot.

Fraid not.

SMS

Apr 2, 2009, 4:54:47 PM4/2/09
Zee wrote:

> Actually I think for older cars, getting a premium gas (higher octane)
> gives your car more mileage...by having more detergents to clean the
> fuel lines and whatnot.

Higher octane fuel does not have more detergents.

SMS

Apr 2, 2009, 5:09:09 PM4/2/09
h wrote:

> ???My Tracfone is about $5.99/month. How is that more expensive than
> $1.99/DAY?

$1.99/day is for unlimited service. The normal PagePlus prepaid service
has a minimum cost of $10 every four months, or $2.50 per month. It's
actually a little less since you can buy discounted refill cards.

The big savings is not just the lower minimum monthly cost, it's the
much lower cost per minute. Buy an $80 card with 1400 minutes for $73.72
and that's 5.3¢ per minute, then buy the $10 cards every four months to
keep the line active for $2.50/month. To get to even about 2x that 5.3¢
per minute price on Tracfone requires first buying DM4L for $50, then
for $100 you can buy 1050 minutes which gets the cost down to
9.5¢/minute (400 minutes, doubled to 800 minutes, plus 250 bonus
minutes). You have to repurchase DM4L every time you get a new phone.

Tracfone is convenient, you can buy phones lots of places, but it's one
of the more expensive prepaid plans, both in monthly minimum and price
per minute.

See "http://prepaiduswireless.com/".

JR Weiss

Apr 2, 2009, 5:29:14 PM4/2/09
"SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote...

Maybe... Maybe not...

In the past, some gasoline refiners saved their better detergent packages for
their high-octane gas. I don't know if that is still the practice, or how
widespread it is.

If your car is designed and tuned for high octane gas, you will get better
performance, and likely better mileage, using high-octane fuel. However, if the
engine is designed and tuned for lower octane gas, and optimized timings, etc
are achieved with that gas, you will not likely see better performance or
mileage with higher octane gas.

Apr 2, 2009, 11:47:25 PM4/2/09

"SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message

Ah, I see. However, since I use my mobile phone about once a year, the
$5.99/month Tracfone is just fine for me.

SMS

Apr 3, 2009, 12:32:30 AM4/3/09
h wrote:

> Ah, I see. However, since I use my mobile phone about once a year, the
> $5.99/month Tracfone is just fine for me.

For once a year use, the cheapest service is 7-11 SpeakOut. You only
have to add money once a year, and the monthly cost is $2.15. Or
T-Mobile, where the monthly cost is 74¢/month once you go "Gold" by
spending $100, and where you only have to re-up once per year.

Apr 3, 2009, 8:13:22 AM4/3/09

"SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message
Well...You only have to buy Tracfone once a year. I bought the $89/year
(coupon discount) then got a second year for $49. No other fees and I have
over 600 minutes saved up at the moment. I'm covered until 2011. At this
point, it would cost more than it's worth to switch. In 2011 I'll buy two
more years and get 200 more minutes, free. Also, there are no 7-11 stores
anywhere near me. The cheapest plan I could get from Verizon or T-Mobile was
$39.99/month for unlimited, pre-paid. Even when I told them I only use the
phone once a year or less, that was the best they said they could do. I
laughed and left with my Tracfone.

NoSpa...@lousyisp.gov

Apr 3, 2009, 9:28:49 PM4/3/09
"h" <tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote:

And if Tracfone goes out of business? A not unlikely event these days
in an overcrowded and increasingly desperate segment of the economy.
But even if you discount an unanticipated termination do you really
enjoy these "I only have to buy $n before some way off date and I'll
get x000 hours that I'll probably never use. Then if I go "Platinum"
before the next decade..." Well, you get the idea. Incidentally when
are you going to use your 600 minutes if you only use the phone once a
year? Must be a doozy of a phone call.

Personally I just hate the barely-honest marketing of Tracfone and the
rest aren't too far behind. There are better plans (probably all
prepaid) which cost far less and incur much less agro than any of
those mentioned above.

Apr 3, 2009, 11:11:39 PM4/3/09

<NoSpa...@LousyISP.gov> wrote in message
Since I only use the phone for emergencies, the call/calls are usually long.
Like call AAA, get transferred, call back after the truck still hasn't come
in 2 hours, call home to indicate that I'm alive but the car isn't, etc. 18
months ago (last time I used it) I used up 95 minutes in 4 hours of being
stranded.

New Leaf

Apr 3, 2009, 11:51:13 PM4/3/09

Actually, they are bright kids in good universities who make the
choice to waste money. Not my problem.

Viv

Zee

Apr 15, 2009, 4:50:57 AM4/15/09

I dunno...some says its the same...some says higher octane has more
detergents and I tend to believe the latter.