WARNING:GROCERY OUTLET STORES TUCSON

Beacon

Sep 19, 2010, 7:53:06 PM9/19/10
Be very careful shopping at this store.
They murdered a shopper there at the Tucson location a couple years ago,
the staff subdued him and he died (they claim he was ripping off other
shoppers) They were nearly prosecuted for this. Additionally, know this:

1) They frequently sell products way past the expiration date and I have
personally found several spoiled products on purchasing, often a week or
more past the expiration date. 2) Their prices are frequently HIGHER not
LOWER, as they claim loudly, than their major competitors 3) They sell
off brand, frequently substandard food items, often something wrong with
them-poor taste, spoiled, separated ingredients, etc. 4) They frequently
do not have prices posted and often ring things up wrong at the
register. They place the wrong signs next to the wrong items, further
confusing the shopper. Unlike their competitors they will not refund the
full price of an item that misscans or is mispriced. 5)Their produce
comes from Mexico and is frequently low quality and on the verge of
being rotten. 6) Their staff is frequently rude, especially the
cashiers.

This is the bottom of the barrel as far as groceries go. Next lower on
the rung is the FOOD BANK.

I used to buy from them but have cut way back since I can find lower
priced better qualtiy food items at these stores all within approx 1km
of their location: Fry's, Safeway, Sunflower Markets. Tucson is loaded
with grocery supermarkets so there is no reason to put up with bad
practices. The only time I purchase from this store is the rare times
they have things at a serious discount from competitors-I estimate this
is the case in no more than 5% of their items, and then you must be
careful your not getting food that has some problem.

Mark Shapiro

Nov 4, 2010, 7:41:22 PM11/4/10

> 1) They frequently sell products way past the expiration date and I have
> personally found several spoiled products on purchasing, often a week or
> more past the expiration date. 2) Their prices are frequently HIGHER not
> LOWER, as they claim loudly, than their major competitors 3) They sell
> off brand, frequently substandard food items, often something wrong with
> them-poor taste, spoiled, separated ingredients, etc. 4) They frequently
> do not have prices posted and often ring things up wrong at the
> register. They place the wrong signs next to the wrong items, further
> confusing the shopper. Unlike their competitors they will not refund the
> full price of an item that misscans or is mispriced. 5)Their produce
> comes from Mexico and is frequently low quality and on the verge of
> being rotten. 6) Their staff is frequently rude, especially the
> cashiers.

My experience in San Jose, CA, is quite the opposite,
great selection, good quality food, at great prices in
general, I find both shoppers and employees while
perhaps not rich, to be as nice as any other store or
nicer. Grocery Outlet is a needed and welcome
competitor where I live.

Geo-logical

Nov 7, 2010, 8:34:56 AM11/7/10
In article <1jrfy8a.w1163x1bdvqdcN%ma...@mail.goguys.com>,
ma...@mail.goguys.com (Mark Shapiro) wrote:

and;
I found the G.O. in Eureka, CA less than friendly. They even have a
policy of stopping you as you leave to "inspect" your receipt.
The manager has been a little turkey.
Avoid this one.
--
Karma, What a concept!

SMS

Nov 10, 2010, 8:29:40 AM11/10/10
On 04/11/10 4:41 PM, Mark Shapiro wrote:

> My experience in San Jose, CA, is quite the opposite,
> great selection, good quality food, at great prices in
> general, I find both shoppers and employees while
> perhaps not rich, to be as nice as any other store or
> nicer. Grocery Outlet is a needed and welcome
> competitor where I live.

I would not buy any perishable food there, but I stopped by one for the
first time about a week ago and bought a few things. Tom's toothpaste is
$2.49, 1/2 or less than what most stores charge for it.

For produce, the Asian markets are best, for meat, Sprouts or Costco is
best.

The Real Bev

Nov 10, 2010, 7:25:47 PM11/10/10

A Sprouts just opened up nearby. Very nice looking, but the prices
aren't anything special at all. We've got a lot of good ethnic markets
here, and if I bought meat I'd probably buy it at the big Mexican
supermarket, whose meat counter is really impressive -- good prices,
good variety, and really nice-looking meat. The problem with meat,
unfortunately, is that you have to cook it :-(

For what they have, Trader Joe has the best deals. Not as good as they
used to be, but what is?

--
Cheers, Bev
66666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666

Nov 11, 2010, 7:50:01 AM11/11/10

"The Real Bev" <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>The problem with meat, unfortunately, is that you have to cook it :-(

Huh? Do you not eat cooked food?

The Real Bev

Nov 12, 2010, 12:57:29 AM11/12/10

Sure, I just don't want to cook it myself. Microwaving is, of course,
completely different. Actually, I cook every once in a while -- if
'cooking' means 'cutting something up and combining it with something
else and heating it on a stove while manipulating the food with an
implement of some sort'.

Cooking chicken is a real pain -- it's almost like preparing those fish
which can kill you if the chef does something wrong. I don't remember
my grandma worrying that much about salmonella, but I guess it wasn't as
prevalent 50 years ago.

Putting some jalapeno cheese on a couple of corn tortillas and nuking it
for 30 seconds isn't cooking. Neither is putting bread in a toaster
and spreading the result with butter and/or something else. Pancakes
and waffles are cooking, I guess.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I don't care who your father is! Drop that cross

Nov 12, 2010, 12:28:28 PM11/12/10

> On 11/11/10 04:50, h wrote:
> Cooking chicken is a real pain -- it's almost like preparing those fish
> which can kill you if the chef does something wrong. I don't remember my
> grandma worrying that much about salmonella, but I guess it wasn't as
> prevalent 50 years ago.

Wow. I think all meats are the easiest thing in the world to cook. Very
little prep and the stove, grill, or oven does all the work.

Peter Lawrence

Nov 12, 2010, 7:12:13 PM11/12/10
On 11/11/10 9:57 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> Cooking chicken is a real pain -- it's almost like preparing those fish
> which can kill you if the chef does something wrong. I don't remember my
> grandma worrying that much about salmonella, but I guess it wasn't as
> prevalent 50 years ago.

Cooking chicken is easy, and especially easy if you buy a chicken that has
already been cut up.

They're super easy to bake, broil, grill, or even pan fry. And avoiding
salmonella is easy. Just wash your hands, then rinse the chicken in cold
water and cook it thoroughly. Only undercooked chicken poses a problem, but
any intelligent person can easily avoid that mishap.

- Peter

SMS

Dec 6, 2010, 7:00:19 PM12/6/10
On 11/10/2010 4:25 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> A Sprouts just opened up nearby. Very nice looking, but the prices
> aren't anything special at all.

Sprout's weekly sales prices are often very good, but their regular
prices are no bargain.

The Real Bev

Dec 6, 2010, 10:17:28 PM12/6/10

Right. And their stuff isn't all that special either. Their 'sharp
cheddar' cheese is pitiful. BTW, the (Tillamook?) extra-sharp white
cheddar in the black plastic wrap at Costco is about the best
reasonably-priced cheese around. Walmart has what looks the same for a
buck more, but it's YELLOW! Hmph.

--
Cheers, Bev
I'm pretty sure omnipotent entities don't need

Peter Lawrence

Dec 7, 2010, 1:31:37 PM12/7/10
On 12/6/10 7:17 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 12/06/10 16:00, SMS wrote:
>> On 11/10/2010 4:25 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>>
>>> A Sprouts just opened up nearby. Very nice looking, but the prices
>>> aren't anything special at all.
>>
>> Sprout's weekly sales prices are often very good, but their regular
>> prices are no bargain.
>
> Right. And their stuff isn't all that special either. Their 'sharp cheddar'
> cheese is pitiful. BTW, the (Tillamook?) extra-sharp white cheddar in the
> black plastic wrap at Costco is about the best reasonably-priced cheese
> around. Walmart has what looks the same for a buck more, but it's YELLOW! Hmph.

If it wasn't colored yellow, WalMart shoppers wouldn't recognize it as a
cheddar cheese. ;)

- Peter

Les Cargill

Dec 8, 2010, 9:08:04 PM12/8/10

I have bought white Cabot sharp cheddar for years from TramLaw.

--
Les Cargill

David Kaye

May 12, 2011, 2:52:55 AM5/12/11
"Mark Shapiro" <ma...@mail.goguys.com> wrote in message

> My experience in San Jose, CA, is quite the opposite,
> great selection, good quality food, at great prices in
> general, I find both shoppers and employees while
> perhaps not rich, to be as nice as any other store or
> nicer. Grocery Outlet is a needed and welcome
> competitor where I live.

And as the radio ads say, "Each store is independently owned and operated",
which of course means that Grocery Outlet is probably more of a buying
co-operative and not a chain store at all. Another example of a buying
co-op is Ace Hardware. Each one is totally independent, but they get bulk
buying discounts because they buy products together so they can put in huge
orders.