Which car guide and petrol/diesel engines

john hamilton

Sep 22, 2010, 7:25:54 AM9/22/10
Thinking about buying an older second hand car I was looking through an old
'Which car guide 2005/2006' and got to wondering why under the heading of
*driving experience* cars with a diesel engine is always getting a higher
rating than the petrol model. (ie a red star as opposed to a circle rating)

I contacted Which quite some time and asked them, but never got a response.

Having never owned a diesel car I dont really know what they are like to
drive. I know people used to say that the 'power to revolution' curve was
different to a petrol engine and if you were used to driving a petrol
engine, it would take time to get used to the diesel. But it would never be
quite so satisfying to drive as the petrol engine. I guess things probably
have changed by now.

Since though 2005/2006 is not that long ago, is Which saying that diesel
engines are nicer to drive than petrol? (a better driving experience)
because they are getting a higher rating in this category than petrol
engines? Thanks for any advice.

Adrian

Sep 22, 2010, 7:50:14 AM9/22/10
"john hamilton" <blues...@mail.invalid> gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

> Since though 2005/2006 is not that long ago, is Which saying that diesel
> engines are nicer to drive than petrol? (a better driving experience)
> because they are getting a higher rating in this category than petrol
> engines? Thanks for any advice.

Go and drive a couple of cars, identical apart from fuel type, and see
which YOU prefer.

Mike P

Sep 22, 2010, 7:55:01 AM9/22/10
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:25:54 +0100, john hamilton boggled us with:

In very simple terms -

diesel - lots of torque low down the rev range, no need to rev it hard to
make fast progress. Quite a thin powerband in most modern TDs I've driven.

Petrol, - gutless low down, plenty of power up high in the rev range.

My personal preference is for a petrol turbo engine, and damn the
economy :-)

--
Mike P

DavidR

Sep 22, 2010, 5:31:01 PM9/22/10
"john hamilton" <blues...@mail.invalid> wrote in message

> Since though 2005/2006 is not that long ago, is Which saying that diesel
> engines are nicer to drive than petrol? (a better driving experience)
> because they are getting a higher rating in this category than petrol
> engines? Thanks for any advice.

Petrol is better for clean starts. Diesel (or any turbo) much better between
30-80.

Consider my last car, petrol of 85bhp/t. It was geared for 36mph in first,
with 30mph a comfortable maximum. In second, it had about 60bhp at 30mph and
maxed out at a noisy 60mph. 50-70 times were about 8, 11, 17
seconds in the three top gears.

Now diesel, also 85bhp/t. In 1st gear 24mph is possible, 20mph being a
comfortable maximum. That's the bit that takes getting used to. But in 3rd
gear at 30mph it has 70bhp, maximum power comes at a civilised 60mph and
if required can continue to 75mph. Thus 3rd is quicker and has
more top & bottom range than the old 2nd gear. It gets even better looking
at the
50-70 times: about 6, 7 and 10 seconds. Quite simply, motorway inclines no
longer exist and when a blocker moves out of the way I can now get air
between me and the tailgater.

Duncan Wood

Sep 22, 2010, 5:46:40 PM9/22/10
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:25:54 +0100, john hamilton
<blues...@mail.invalid> wrote:

If you learnt to drive in 1956 then the diesel still generates usable
torque at the same engine revs. Realising that changing up at 1400RPM in a
VTEC isn't helpful seems to elude some people.

Forrest Hodge

Sep 22, 2010, 8:45:53 PM9/22/10
Here in the states diesels aren't that common for passenger cars, there
are a few, but 95% are gasoline (petrol) powered. I did get a chance to
drive a neighbors cars back to back, They were both VW Jettas one with a
2.8L petrol V6 and the other was a 1.9L TDI. I thought the petrol VR6
was far better. The TDI had good initial thrust, but it's power quickly
diminished after about 2500 RPM. In the interest of disclosure, my daily
driver has supercharged 4.6L V8 (petrol) under the hood, so my
expectations may have be too optimistic. If you like to drive in
sporting manner then I think petrol is the way to do. Diesels will
obviously return better fuel economy.

Doctor D

Sep 23, 2010, 3:18:13 AM9/23/10

"Forrest Hodge" <fo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Not at all scientific and completely subjective..........whilst in the
States earlier this year I drove just over 1,500 miles in a newish (7,000
miles) Chrysler Town & Country people carrier fitted with a 3.8L V6 petrol
engine and 6 speed autobox.

Although it's difficult to compare like for like (as the US roads are so
different from the twisting A roads and lanes around here) it didn't seem as
quick as my regular 2.0TDi Touran with DSG. Kickdown in the Chrysler
resulted in a lot of V6 noise but not much acceleration, whereas the Touran
is a lot more responsive on kickdown for joining a motorway or overtaking.

As for economy, even at US petrol prices - gulp.

Back to the original question. IMO any HDi Pug/Citroen will be nicer than
the 1.6/1.8 petrol, the VW group TDi engines seem far more drivable than the
1.6/2.0 engines. Not driven a VW 1.4T petrol engine for comparison.

The Henchman

Sep 23, 2010, 8:14:18 PM9/23/10

> Although it's difficult to compare like for like (as the US roads are so
> different from the twisting A roads and lanes around here) it didn't seem
> as quick as my regular 2.0TDi Touran with DSG. Kickdown in the Chrysler
> resulted in a lot of V6 noise but not much acceleration, whereas the
> Touran is a lot more responsive on kickdown for joining a motorway or
> overtaking.

Goveners and speed or torque limiters are different in the US/Canada than
the UK maybe? I had a Chrysler 4 door v6 car (mid sized in north America
but considered large in the UK) that was limited to about 4500 RPM

> As for economy, even at US petrol prices - gulp.
>
> Back to the original question. IMO any HDi Pug/Citroen will be nicer than
> the 1.6/1.8 petrol, the VW group TDi engines seem far more drivable than
> the 1.6/2.0 engines. Not driven a VW 1.4T petrol engine for comparison.

Gasoline direct injection is fast becoming the standard on all new north
American vehicles.

Forrest Hodge

Sep 23, 2010, 10:06:53 PM9/23/10

The T&C you drove had a decidedly outdated engine. Had you driven one
with the more modern 4.0L petrol V6, the difference in power would've
been noticeable. Your also comparing turbo diesels to normally aspirated
petrol engines. Also since fuel is taxed a bit more sanely in the
states, most cars here have considerably larger engines that those found
across the pond. The average family sedan here will have well over 200
HP and have a displacement of 2.5L on the low side to about 3.5L, this
gets generally gets you more torque than what you find in the average
petrol-powered family car in Europe.

Tim Downie

Sep 24, 2010, 6:15:54 AM9/24/10

Duh!

Not exactly comparing like with like in the power outputs there so hardly a
useful comparison when it comes to deciding relative merits of diesel over
petrol (or vice versa).

Tim

john

Sep 27, 2010, 10:24:02 AM9/27/10

"DavidR" <cure...@4bidden.org.uk> wrote in message

Most of this is simply due to being turbod, try a petrol turbo...

DavidR

Sep 27, 2010, 5:49:29 PM9/27/10
"john" <chri...@yahoo.com> wrote

> "DavidR" <cure...@4bidden.org.uk> wrote in message
>> "john hamilton" <blues...@mail.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Since though 2005/2006 is not that long ago, is Which saying that diesel
>>> engines are nicer to drive than petrol? (a better driving experience)
>>> because they are getting a higher rating in this category than petrol
>>> engines? Thanks for any advice.
>>
>> Petrol is better for clean starts. Diesel (or any turbo) much better
>> between 30-80.

> Most of this is simply due to being turbod, try a petrol turbo...

As I said earlier. TPs are still more of a niche with attached ved and
insurance premiums. It's gradually changing and hopefully more will be
offered instead of those hopeless vvts.

Peter Hill

Sep 28, 2010, 3:00:29 AM9/28/10
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 15:24:02 +0100, "john" <chri...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Preferably one with a smallish turbo for a really good kick up the
rump at 60-70mph in top gear. 225bhp 2.0 TFSi Audi, 112.5bhp/L. Fiat
Punto 1.4 Evo Abarth Multiair turbo 170bhp, 121bhp/L, 47mpg. 335i -
306bhp, 101.4 bhp/L, near flatline torque from nothing to 5500rpm,
then it drops off as turbos are too small.

Then try a premium diesel turbo, SAAB 1.9 TTiD or TT Multijet (Lancia
Delta). Another good kick up the rump in top at M-way speeds.

Then try the worlds best production SI turbo with variable phase,
duration and lift valve timing. Nissan 2002 X-Trail GT - SR20VET 2.0L
280bhp Japan only (import), 140bhp/L, flatline torque from 3200rpm all
the way to max power at 6800rpm.

Don't hold your breath but variable compression SI turbo may yet
appear. Nissan are supposed to be production ready, just needs
something FR 2+2 and smaller than a 370Z to sit in, 1.6L 225bhp
140bhp/L and it will flat line the torque curve.
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/INTRODUCTION/DETAILS/VCR/
http://www.prodrive.com/up/vcr.pdf

Problem is they all come at an increasingly premium price.

V8's even ones that technically are no better than L1.3 Ford Kent,
just 4x bigger so 4x more power, are even more pricey both to buy and
keep in fuel.
--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header

John

Sep 28, 2010, 1:51:00 PM9/28/10
These magazines are often biased towards diesels as its what the
authors of the articles drive.

I'd like to see Tdi's compared with Tsi's and Sdi's compared to
standard aspirated Petrol engines for a fair comparison.

Most of my driving is in stop start traffic and I don't like to hang
around I like to get away quick and Petrol I think is better. I
couldn't car less about being able to pull away slightly quicker at
mid speeds and even if I did then how does Tsi compare to Tdi? I think
diesel is pretty good for fuel economy and I like the idea of the
diesel engine but I can't live with the extra noise and rumbling of
the engine and also knowing how much more I am polluting on a local
level. All the talk of diesel being greener for the last couple of
decades its actually a lot worse on a local level and the stuff it
gives out is 100 times more nasty than anything petrol could hope to
do leading to bronchitis, asthma, other respiratory illnesses and
cancers. No thanks I'll stick with the refined.