Yearly reminder. roto-till the lawn

Lamumba

Feb 11, 2011, 11:50:23 PM2/11/11
turn it into a garden, sell the mower , Grow your own food. it's not
getting any cheaper at the market. and compost kitchen scraps.
--
Karma, What a concept!

Vandy Terre

Feb 12, 2011, 10:22:16 PM2/12/11
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 20:50:23 -0800, Lamumba <geor...@toast.net> wrote:

>turn it into a garden, sell the mower , Grow your own food. it's not
>getting any cheaper at the market. and compost kitchen scraps.

That is a great idea for those that can, but city folks often have some
neighborhood code against turning the front lawn into a vegetable garden. There
are some books in print on how to sneak a few vegetable plants into the flower
gardens. Also watch composting all kitchen scraps. Meat scrap can create
problems in the compost cycle and attract problems.

You may not want to sell that mower. It is handy to mow down the former
vegetable crop plants before roto-tilling them into the earth.

Compost is great for large amounts of vegetable scrap. If you can keep chickens
or rabbits, the vegetable scrap might be better used as feed. Hard to compost
leaves like oak will compost quicker if used as bedding under the chickens. Lay
the occasional board across part of the leaves to give protection to the
earthworms that will work the mass.

Lamumba

Feb 13, 2011, 11:24:39 AM2/13/11
In article <k4jel6dc0bktekf5k...@4ax.com>,
Vandy Terre <va...@tanglewood-destiny.com> wrote:

why thanks for the ideas.
another use I have for boards is to place them down in the garden to
trap slugs and small snails. it's then just a simple task to turn the
boards over to reveal their hiding place. dispose of them as you wish.
Happy Spring!