Public Service Announcement

Gary Heston

Aug 22, 2010, 10:30:31 PM8/22/10
Apparently, based upon my experience yesterday, using Lysol spray in
a fairly small (~10' x 10') room and leaving the door closed can
trigger carbon monoxide detectors.

I had one start alarming and another showing screwy readings (there is
no possible CO source in the house at the moment). As to what the longer
term effect on the detectors will be (some require sensor replacement
after too much exposure) I don't know.

The Lysol was used to treat a section of wall about 6' long and 2' high
on an exterior wall that the bed is generally touching or very close
to. It's also a north wall, so cooler than normal and this tends to
cause mildew to form.

Not sure what the interaction is, but I'm probably going to get a new
CO detector before this fall...

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

If you want to reduce the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere,
go plant trees.

Message has been deleted

Lou

Aug 23, 2010, 8:14:38 AM8/23/10

"Derald" <der...@invalid.net> wrote in message

> Aww... get real. Reforestation is far too reasonable. Surely, you
> recognize that, after wife-beating, deforestation is Mankind's oldest
> legacy (been going at it for 10,000 years and in the "new" world for a
> few hundred -- just getting started good) and desertification our oldest
> and, so far, longest-lasting artifact (think "Sumaria", "Mesopotamia",
> or "North Africa").

I don't know about Sumaria or Mespotamia, but North Africa has repeatedly
swung between lush landscapes and harsh desert conditions over the last half
million years with each cycle taking about 25,000 years. The present phase
of desert started something on the order of 6,000 years ago, and despite all
the stuff you hear about how humans are destroying the planet, appears to be
just the latest swing of a perfectly natural cycle.

Bill Gill

Aug 23, 2010, 9:14:20 AM8/23/10
On 8/23/2010 12:56 AM, Derald wrote:
Do you know how one determines _when_
> to replace a detector's sensor or the detector? IIRC the instructions
> with mine indicate the sensor to have a finite but indeterminate life
> span regardless of whether the unit is in service but I don't recall it
> offering the slightest clue how to determine when to begin expecting the
> unit to fail or how to determine whether it has. Maybe I should read the
> instructions again?

I did some research* a while back on how long a CO detector lasts.
I finally found a place that said they last about 5 years, so we
need to replace all our CO monitors about every 5 years. I found
this just after I bought a combined CO/Smoke detector. That means
that in 5 years I get to throw away a probably perfectly good
smoke detector because the CO detector is at end of life. Keep
that in mind when you go shopping for CO monitors.

* Searching the internet does count as research doesn't it?

Bill

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

The Henchman

Aug 23, 2010, 9:46:04 PM8/23/10

"Bill Gill" <bill...@cox.net> wrote in message

Most CO detectors TELL you the date to throw them away. They'll be printed
on a card or as part of the injection moulding or simply print the
information in the manual.

Some American organisation called the NFPA recommends to replace C0
detectors every 7 years to take advantage of new technologies, not because
they "wear out". My country says 10 years therefore Kidde the manufacturer
of my detector moulded the replacement date 10 years after the manufacture
date on the backing of my detectors.

Most CO detectors will not sound an alarm unless there is over 75 ppm.
Anything over 2 ppm is considered unhealthy and anything over 25 is
considered damaging to your health if exposed for 8 straight hours. If you
have respiratory issues or are placing this co detector in a bedroom
consider a unit that will sound an alarm at anything over 2 ppm.

Al

Aug 24, 2010, 6:13:04 PM8/24/10
On Aug 22, 10:30 pm, ghes...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote:
> Apparently, based upon my experience yesterday, using Lysol spray in
> a fairly small (~10' x 10') room and leaving the door closed can
> trigger carbon monoxide detectors.
>
> I had one start alarming and another showing screwy readings (there is
> no possible CO source in the house at the moment). As to what the longer
> term effect on the detectors will be (some require sensor replacement
> after too much exposure) I don't know.
>
> The Lysol was used to treat a section of wall about 6' long and 2' high
> on an exterior wall that the bed is generally touching or very close
> to. It's also a north wall, so cooler than normal and this tends to
> cause mildew to form.
>
> Not sure what the interaction is, but I'm probably going to get a new
> CO detector before this fall...
>
> Gary
>
> --
> Gary Heston  ghes...@hiwaay.net  http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

> If you want to reduce the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere,
> go plant trees.

If the co sensor is sensitive enough to detect it, you certainly want
to restrict your breathing of the Lysol as well.

Gary Heston

Aug 24, 2010, 11:32:50 PM8/24/10
In article <3bednUZrBrEMYuzR...@earthlink.com>,
Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote:

>ghe...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote:

>>I had one start alarming and another showing screwy readings (there is
>>no possible CO source in the house at the moment). As to what the longer
>>term effect on the detectors will be (some require sensor replacement
>>after too much exposure) I don't know.

> Interesting. I'm (mildly) curious what specific components of Lysol
>triggered the alarm. Not that it matters, but it does induce some
>tripidation about Lysol-huffing.

No idea on which component was the culprit, just that one alarmed after
the wall was sprayed and the other gave bizarre (200+ ppm) readings.

> Do you know how one determines _when_
>to replace a detector's sensor or the detector? IIRC the instructions
>with mine indicate the sensor to have a finite but indeterminate life
>span regardless of whether the unit is in service but I don't recall it
>offering the slightest clue how to determine when to begin expecting the
>unit to fail or how to determine whether it has. Maybe I should read the
>instructions again?

One of mine has an indicator LED which is supposed to tell me it's time;
the other has a date of manufacture and a note that it should be replaced
after seven years--when it will start beeping (to force replacement).

>>If you want to reduce the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere,
>>go plant trees.

> Aww... get real. Reforestation is far too reasonable. Surely, you

>recognize that, after wife-beating, deforestation is Mankind's oldest
>legacy (been going at it for 10,000 years and in the "new" world for a
>few hundred -- just getting started good) and desertification our oldest
>and, so far, longest-lasting artifact (think "Sumaria", "Mesopotamia",

>or "North Africa"). It's a Human Family Tradition, ferchrissake!

Not just humans; elephants as well. They are grass eaters, and while
they will eat tree limbs, leaves, and bark, they destroy the trees while
doing so. This creates more grassland, which they want.

>Obviously, the greater adventure is to destroy the economies of the
>developed nations so that we all can be "equal" so that we all may enjoy
>the same back-to-Nature lifestyle as the talented and industrious
>denizons of equatorial Africa (for example).

I'm all in favor of people preaching "back to the land, living with nature,
no industrialization" to try it for a while. Say, five years, in an area
enclosed by a large fence, which they're not allow out of before their
five years are up. Turning over ten acres of land by hand will elminiate
the need for exercise equipment and ensure there are few deaths due to
heart disease. I'm sure starvation would make op the difference.

It occurs to me that I should append "and shut up" to my .sig.

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Aug 26, 2010, 1:23:37 AM8/26/10
Al wrote
> ghes...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote

>> Apparently, based upon my experience yesterday, using
>> Lysol spray in a fairly small (~10' x 10') room and leaving
>> the door closed can trigger carbon monoxide detectors.

>> I had one start alarming and another showing screwy readings
>> (there is no possible CO source in the house at the moment).
>> As to what the longer term effect on the detectors will be (some
>> require sensor replacement after too much exposure) I don't know.

>> The Lysol was used to treat a section of wall about 6' long and 2'
>> high on an exterior wall that the bed is generally touching or very
>> close to. It's also a north wall, so cooler than normal and this
>> tends to cause mildew to form.

>> Not sure what the interaction is, but I'm probably going to get a new
>> CO detector before this fall...

>> If you want to reduce the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, go plant trees.

> If the co sensor is sensitive enough to detect it, you certainly want
> to restrict your breathing of the Lysol as well.

What else a particular sensor is sensitive to says nothing useful about what is health problem for humans.