The greatest thing that can make cycling safe is

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 27, 2010, 2:08:16 AM5/27/10
Short of my own proposal (cars clear the lane 30' before and after),
the 3' clearance means very little...

But since we are not having a government that cares for cyclists, the
next best solution is... BAN BIKES ON SIDEWALKS!

I live in Florida, where 3' feet is the law and yet most cyclists
doing practical things (not those in lycra) ride on sidewalks. They
are a danger to themselves and pedestrians! The law of the jungle is
simply passed down to the sidewalk, where the most vulnerable are the
elderly...

Make the cyclists retire or go on the road. Then there would be
another kind of safety only found in numbers. By the way, I'm semi-
retired. ;)

THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS

"A monkey alone is quick lunch"

http://webspawner.com/users/BIKEFORPEACE

VFW

May 27, 2010, 10:24:09 PM5/27/10
In article
<b51f3279-2750-46c6...@f13g2000vbm.googlegroups.com>,
"His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of
Quixotic Enterprises" <comandan...@yahoo.com> wrote:

When I bicycled to work in NYC. I painted the whole bike DAYGlo orange.
very visible!

It still got stolen.
--
Money! What a concept.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 27, 2010, 11:16:50 PM5/27/10
On May 27, 10:24 pm, VFW <george...@toast.net> wrote:
> In article
> <b51f3279-2750-46c6-9add-2c51d3c88...@f13g2000vbm.googlegroups.com>,

>  "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of
>  Quixotic Enterprises" <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Short of my own proposal (cars clear the lane 30' before and after),
> > the 3' clearance means very little...
>
> > But since we are not having a government that cares for cyclists, the
> > next best solution is... BAN BIKES ON SIDEWALKS!
>
> > I live in Florida, where 3' feet is the law and yet most cyclists
> > doing practical things (not those in lycra) ride on sidewalks. They
> > are a danger to themselves and pedestrians! The law of the jungle is
> > simply passed down to the sidewalk, where the most vulnerable are the
> > elderly...
>
> > Make the cyclists retire or go on the road. Then there would be
> > another kind of safety only found in numbers. By the way, I'm semi-
> > retired. ;)

> > THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS
>
> > "A monkey alone is quick lunch"
>
> >http://webspawner.com/users/BIKEFORPEACE
>
> When I bicycled to work in NYC. I painted the whole bike DAYGlo orange.
> very visible!
>
> It still got stolen.
> --
> Money! What a concept.

Maybe that's WHY it got stolen.

It's better to be seen on the road for the big predators (wear orange
vest), but it's better to be camouflaged for the little predators --
the rats.

Remember, all the bikes are black in Amsterdam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk6YxhKH590

I hate stolen bikes. I'd fight the rats with surveillance cameras.

Edward Dolan

May 27, 2010, 11:37:12 PM5/27/10

Enterprises" <comandan...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Short of my own proposal (cars clear the lane 30' before and after),
> the 3' clearance means very little...
>
> But since we are not having a government that cares for cyclists, the
> next best solution is... BAN BIKES ON SIDEWALKS!
>
> I live in Florida, where 3' feet is the law and yet most cyclists
> doing practical things (not those in lycra) ride on sidewalks. They
> are a danger to themselves and pedestrians! The law of the jungle is
> simply passed down to the sidewalk, where the most vulnerable are the
> elderly...
>
> Make the cyclists retire or go on the road. Then there would be
> another kind of safety only found in numbers. By the way, I'm semi-
> retired. ;)

TM is a poor crazy bastard who just posts on his one favorite subject -
hatred of motor vehicles because they interfere with his use of the roads.
His other favorite subject is attacking Christianity. If you respond to this
poor crazy bastard, then you are a poor crazy bastard too.

He likes to reference monkeys and other wild animals normally found only in
zoos because he is most likely a wild beast himself. I think he fornicates
with monkeys, but I can't prove it.

TM should confine himself to just one thread instead of proliferating them
like a poor crazy bastard. He is insane of course. I liken him to the
village idiot of olden times. The difference these days is that no one any
longer recognizes the village idiot because idiocy has become so widespread.

But I will be here to remind one and all of what a poor crazy bastard TM is.
It is mark of My Greatness that I can still recognize the village idiot even
if the rest of you can't.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Jim A

May 28, 2010, 2:51:00 AM5/28/10
On 05/28/2010 04:37 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> TM is a poor crazy bastard who just posts on his one favorite subject -
> hatred of motor vehicles because they interfere with his use of the roads.
> His other favorite subject is attacking Christianity. If you respond to this
> poor crazy bastard...

You've been doing a lot of that lately!

> ..., then you are a poor crazy bastard too.

Hmmm. If the cap fits ...

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 28, 2010, 1:12:55 PM5/28/10

Yeah that's right, but I'm MAKING NOISE for a purpose. You know about
this?

Any change needs BIG NOISE, COORDINATION AND SOLIDARITY, not unlike...

http://mybignoise.blogspot.com/2007/08/solidarity-law-of-jungle.htm

Jim A

May 28, 2010, 1:34:34 PM5/28/10
On 05/28/2010 06:12 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana
and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises wrote:
> Any change needs BIG NOISE, COORDINATION AND SOLIDARITY, not unlike...
>
> http://mybignoise.blogspot.com/2007/08/solidarity-law-of-jungle.htm

Which says ...

Page not found
Sorry, the page you were looking for in the blog Big Noise does not
exist.

I'm sorry, Commandante, but that is a bit deep even for me to fathom.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 28, 2010, 2:21:52 PM5/28/10

It's not that deep. The prey (cyclists) sticking together and MAKING
NOISE (like monkeys), can defeat the lions of the jungle (those who
deny us space)...

(AWESOME VIDEO)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM&feature=fvst

Do you enjoy a "lion free" community? ;)

Jim A

May 28, 2010, 2:35:48 PM5/28/10
On 05/28/2010 07:21 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana
and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises wrote:
> On May 28, 1:34 pm, Jim A<j...@averyjim.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 05/28/2010 06:12 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana
>> and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises wrote:
>>
>>> Any change needs BIG NOISE, COORDINATION AND SOLIDARITY, not unlike...
>>
>>> http://mybignoise.blogspot.com/2007/08/solidarity-law-of-jungle.htm
>>
>> Which says ...
>>
>> Page not found
>> Sorry, the page you were looking for in the blog Big Noise does not
>> exist.
>>
>> I'm sorry, Commandante, but that is a bit deep even for me to fathom.
>>
>> --www.slowbicyclemovement.org- enjoy the ride
>
> It's not that deep. The prey (cyclists) sticking together and MAKING
> NOISE (like monkeys), can defeat the lions of the jungle (those who
> deny us space)...
>
> (AWESOME VIDEO)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM&feature=fvst

Wow, that is quite something!

> Do you enjoy a "lion free" community? ;)

I'm lucky. Around where I live everyone is really nice (on the whole).

Don Klipstein

May 28, 2010, 6:36:05 PM5/28/10
In <ddbebc0a-ad89-45b2...@c11g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>,
TibetanMonkey wrote, in part and edited for space:

>On May 27, 10:24�pm, VFW <george...@toast.net> wrote:

>> When I bicycled to work in NYC. I painted the whole bike DAYGlo orange.
>> very visible!
>>
>> It still got stolen.
>

>Maybe that's WHY it got stolen.
>
>It's better to be seen on the road for the big predators (wear orange
>vest), but it's better to be camouflaged for the little predators --
>the rats.

I think it got stolen because NYC has ferocious bike thieves. It
appears to me that NYC has a lot of amoral people willing to buy stolen
property. One thing I know is that some bike locks have antitheft
warranties that are not good in NYC.

One lock I like: OnGuard "Pit Bull Mini". It cost me $39 and comes
with, IIRC, a $2,251 antitheft warranty that does not exclude NYC. But I
had to order it. I am having trouble now finding a bike shop that stocks
U-locks of any brand other than Kryptonite.

--
- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Tom Sherman °_°

May 28, 2010, 10:10:10 PM5/28/10
The solution is to move from NYC to a civilized place.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 29, 2010, 12:41:13 AM5/29/10
On May 28, 2:35 pm, Jim A <j...@averyjim.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 05/28/2010 07:21 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana
> and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises wrote:
>

> > On May 28, 1:34 pm, Jim A<j...@averyjim.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Which says ...
>
> >> Page not found
> >> Sorry, the page you were looking for in the blog Big Noise does not
> >> exist.
>
> >> I'm sorry, Commandante, but that is a bit deep even for me to fathom.
>
> >> --www.slowbicyclemovement.org-enjoy the ride

> > It's not that deep. The prey (cyclists) sticking together and MAKING
> > NOISE (like monkeys), can defeat the lions of the jungle (those who
> > deny us space)...
>
> > (AWESOME VIDEO)
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM&feature=fvst
>
> Wow, that is quite something!
>
> > Do you enjoy a "lion free" community? ;)
>
> I'm lucky. Around where I live everyone is really nice (on the whole).
>
> --www.slowbicyclemovement.org- enjoy the ride

Around here is open season for the lions going hunting for monkeys,
who 99% of the time ride on sidewalks... No, I don't live in Zimbabwe,
but in Miami Beach. ;)

Lucky you!

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 29, 2010, 12:43:58 AM5/29/10
On May 28, 6:36 pm, d...@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:
> In <ddbebc0a-ad89-45b2-bfc8-a03dc065d...@c11g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>,

They stole mine too while I was sleeping next to it!

But see how many get stolen in Amsterdam too. I'd put security cameras
everywhere to catch the rats, and perhaps put a little chip in it to
give them a surprise. ;)

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, ComandanteBanana and Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

May 29, 2010, 12:44:44 AM5/29/10
On May 28, 10:10 pm, Tom Sherman °_°

<twshermanREM...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote:
> On 5/28/2010 5:36 PM, Don Klipstein wrote:
>
> > In<ddbebc0a-ad89-45b2-bfc8-a03dc065d...@c11g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>,

> > TibetanMonkey wrote, in part and edited for space:

> >> Maybe that's WHY it got stolen.
>
> >> It's better to be seen on the road for the big predators (wear orange
> >> vest), but it's better to be camouflaged for the little predators --
> >> the rats.
>
> >    I think it got stolen because NYC has ferocious bike thieves.  It
> > appears to me that NYC has a lot of amoral people willing to buy stolen
> > property.  One thing I know is that some bike locks have antitheft
> > warranties that are not good in NYC.
>
> >    One lock I like:  OnGuard "Pit Bull Mini".  It cost me $39 and comes
> > with, IIRC, a $2,251 antitheft warranty that does not exclude NYC.  But I
> > had to order it.  I am having trouble now finding a bike shop that stocks
> > U-locks of any brand other than Kryptonite.
>
> The solution is to move from NYC to a civilized place.

The civilized place is in Norway or something. Well, Key West too.

Don Klipstein

May 29, 2010, 12:57:20 AM5/29/10

Actually, I have little need to be in NYC, and I live elsewhere and work
elsewhere. My rant turned to bike shops in my experience stopping
stocking of U-locks other than Kryptonite ones, while I know of another
that appears to me to be much more lock for the money. As in similar
model, same brand that I bought from stock in a bike shop a little less
than 4 years ago.

I had to replace my non-Kryptonite lock after about 3.3 years of duty
that I have known to destroy a same-price Kryptonite one in 2 years. In
both luck destruction cases, the lock failed to refuse to be pulled open
by mild human arm strength. In both cases, the lock was for a delivery
bike that had to work harder when the weather got worse. As in through
weather how bad? My delivery schedule only lost most of 1 day and was
curtailed (not completely eliminated) for half of another in February
2010, in Philadelphia. 2 of Philadelphia's top-10 snowstorms, likely 2 of
the top-7, ever since 1884, hit Philadelphia in February 2010.

As for what I ride through? How about Philadelphia's winter of
1993-1994? That one was strangely average by temperature, total
precipitation, and snowfall. But the prime official weather statistics
do not tell the tale of the historic ice storms - including one that was
said to be the first time that US Post Office refused to deliver mail due
to weather ever since being created in Philadelphia.
I delivered through that ice storm - both lunch and dinner shifts. The
temperature was mostly 26-27 F and it was raining. The relative humidity
readings and lack of fog indicated that the raindrops were supercooled
ones having an even lower temperature.
So, I walk into buildings with my coat going crunch-crunch-crunch from
the icy coating on it audibly cracking in response to my body movements.
And I had small icicles dangling from the rim of my bike helmet.
The day after, mail was not delivered - but I did deliver. I rode the
delivery bike somewhat often sideways, backwards or spinning around, and
spilling every hour or two. But I made a lot of people very happy when
they had to put money into my hands!

How about the mid-March 2010 Nor'Easter hitting Philadelphia? I rode
through that storm also! I consider that one to be the first Nor'Easter
to dump more chilly windblown rain on Philadelphia after the Christmas Eve
1978 one. And the Christmas Eve 1978 one was not as badly windy! I
delivered by bike through the mid-March 2010 storm! My biggest complaint
there is that I had my cell phone drowned by the rain, and it recovered
incompletely - the more-external and smaller and simpler of the 2 displays
on a "2-display flip-phone" died by drowning, and everything else in my
cell phone recovered.

Actually, I might make that my #2 complaint of that storm, second to
being deprived of the features of my cellphone that did recover by the
next morning (such as working at all).

Considering what I complain about, I hope ones consider that I get
myself into a good mood to ride bikes through "tonnage of brown matter
hitting industrial strength fans". As in explaining how I can destroy
U-locks by using them as-intended when and where I would use them.

Do you want to know what is a bike that survived over 3.5 years of
being my main delivery truck (especially in worse weather) and also being
my main commuting car (disproportionately relived from that job in worse
weather due to convenient public transit)?

I described that favorite bike of mine to my youngest brother. He
responded by saying that it sounded almost as simple as an anvil.
(Fixed gear track bike.) I responded back to him by saying "good choice
of words", since I consider this bike to be only a little more delicate
than an anvil.

This bike is a Bianchi "Pista" (I consider to be "entry level track
bike" / "training bike" / "a good messenger bike") that I purchased in
late August 2006. The frame, fork, fork bearings, and rear wheel
(excluding tires/tubes but including the hub, spokes and rim,excluding
the bearings) and the crankarms and handlebar stem and handlebar and
saddle are still the same ones that this bike had when I bought it. After
over 3.5 years and likely near 30,000 miles, mostly even with a front
basket attached! (Wald 17" by 13" by either 6 or 7 inches IIRC). (I am
already on my second front basket.)

The original front wheel was lost due to upgrade to a more aerodynamic
one. The aerodynamic upgrade front wheel's rim and spokes failed to
survive interaction with a cager running a stop sign in a short period of
my life when I liked to be more hesitant with brakes. However, that
front wheel that failed to survive a crash did survive many impacts by
Pennsylvania potholes! (I wonder where I stashed the original front wheel
of this bike - I suspect I likely gave it away to the "Bike Church" in
Philadelphia's "University City" at a time of failing to remember where
it came from.
So, I am on my 3rd front wheel, appearing to me to be good or at least
almost-good for the Paris-Roubaix annual event (heavy impact by
cobblestones), which means likely-good-for-most-of the rough roads in the
USA "state" of PA even at racing and bicycle-messenger speeds.

Getting-back-on-track: I think I ride a tough bike!