Keurig

gggg...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2016, 5:53:12 AM3/11/16
Is it really THAT good?

BigDog811

Mar 11, 2016, 10:27:16 AM3/11/16
On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 5:53:12 AM UTC-5, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is it really THAT good?

Compared to what?

Compared to a proper pot of french press made from freshly roasted premium beans ground at the time of brewing? Hell no!!!

Compared to a pot of hot black water made from preground already stale mass produced beans bought at a grocery store? Hell yes!!!

Bruce Esquibel

Mar 11, 2016, 12:49:00 PM3/11/16
gggg...@gmail.com wrote:

> Is it really THAT good?

It's an expensive cup of coffee those make.

Most of "the pods" are between 80 cents and $1 in grocery stores, and they
are good for 1 cup of coffee. Mail order and like Costco can cut that in
half, but the main point of the machine is speed.

If it's plugged in and already pre-heated, it's only like a minute or less
to make a cup of coffee. Toss the pod out, nothing to clean.

The coffee it makes is "ok" but nothing remarkable.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

The Real Bev

Mar 11, 2016, 3:27:32 PM3/11/16
I make a pot of Mr. Coffee with French Roast beans from Costco (or
whatever they have on sale) and turn it off as soon as it's done. 1
minute per cup in the microwave and I'm good for at least one day. Easy
beats gourmet every single time :-)

--
Cheers, Bev
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

21bla...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2016, 3:18:24 PM3/12/16
no, actually they're terrible
[by the way, who said they were good? advertisers maybe; just propaganda]

because,
it's very difficult to adjust it to the strength you like,
just for starters

then,
i don't think you can grind your own [fresh] beans

etc etc

it's for somewhat lazy people, IMHO

marc

The Real Bev

Mar 12, 2016, 7:07:27 PM3/12/16
On 03/12/2016 12:18 PM, 21bla...@gmail.com wrote:
> no, actually they're terrible
> [by the way, who said they were good? advertisers maybe; just propaganda]
>
> because,
> it's very difficult to adjust it to the strength you like,
> just for starters
>
> then,
> i don't think you can grind your own [fresh] beans

You can buy reusable cups and put whatever you want in them.

--
Cheers,
Bev

BigDog811

Mar 12, 2016, 7:10:32 PM3/12/16
On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 3:18:24 PM UTC-5, 21bla...@gmail.com wrote:
> no, actually they're terrible
> [by the way, who said they were good? advertisers maybe; just propaganda]

No they're not. In fact, I find mine to be quite good. I use it to make three to six cups a day. It's been in service for over two years now and is still plugging along as reliably and efficiently as the day I unpacked it. I estimate I've made somewhere north of 3,000 cups with it.

> because,
> it's very difficult to adjust it to the strength you like,
> just for starters

Not really. I personally like strong, dark coffee, and usually use pods made with dark Italian or French roast. But you can easily find pods made with medium and light roast coffees.

> then,
> i don't think you can grind your own [fresh] beans

Yes you can. Just get reusable pods that are available from any number of sources. They even make paper liners for them to make cleanup easier. You can use them make any kind of coffee you like, including fresh ground, or that nasty stuff they sell in plastic cans at the grocery. This will also allow you to regulate the strength if you drink really weak coffee.

> etc etc
>
> it's for somewhat lazy people, IMHO

Your opinion is wrong. I still own, and frequently use my burr grinder and french press to serve coffee to my dinner guests...but that's more drill and ceremony than I want on a day to day basis since this method was developed. Convenience has value.

> marc

The Real Bev

Mar 12, 2016, 7:25:36 PM3/12/16
On 03/12/2016 04:10 PM, BigDog811 wrote:

> Your opinion is wrong. I still own, and frequently use my burr
> grinder

I have one, but I could never figure out why burr-ground coffee was
better than blade-ground, and the thing finally refused to adjust.

> and french press to serve coffee to my dinner guests...but
> that's more drill and ceremony than I want on a day to day basis
> since this method was developed. Convenience has value.

I had a FP too, but the second time I used it the glass broke. Too many
grounds the first time I used it -- I assume I was doing something wrong.

BigDog811

Mar 13, 2016, 2:51:36 PM3/13/16
On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 7:25:36 PM UTC-5, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 03/12/2016 04:10 PM, BigDog811 wrote:
>
> > Your opinion is wrong. I still own, and frequently use my burr
> > grinder
>
> I have one, but I could never figure out why burr-ground coffee was
> better than blade-ground, and the thing finally refused to adjust.

The biggest benefit of a burr over a blade grinder is the consistency of the grind. I used a blade grinder myself for a while but was never able to get the final result the same from one batch to another. This made the flavor of the coffee somewhat inconsistent. I bit the bullet and bought a Cuisinart electric conical burr grinder several years ago and have never looked back. But it does require a little maintenance. When I was using it daily I'd take it apart every couple of weeks to wash it and brush out the grinding chamber and discharge chute. Gotta watch the oils and residue left behind - they'll turn rancid a spoil the flavor of your coffee. Now that I'm only using it occasionally I do that after each use.

> > and french press to serve coffee to my dinner guests...but
> > that's more drill and ceremony than I want on a day to day basis
> > since this method was developed. Convenience has value.
>
> I had a FP too, but the second time I used it the glass broke. Too many
> grounds the first time I used it -- I assume I was doing something wrong.

Yeah, they can be a little delicate. Never happened to me, but I understand that if the glass gets nicked or scratched they're prone to breaking.

21bla...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2016, 4:15:48 PM3/13/16
your experience may be different, of course

it was not acceptable, to me

not to mention the cost of the machine, and the pods

marc

wilm...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2016, 4:58:41 PM3/13/16
On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 2:53:12 AM UTC-8, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is it really THAT good?

This is "frugal living", not spending a buck on a cup of coffee. Make yourself a cup of instant coffee for about $0.07 a cup. Sure, it might not taste as good, but after a week or so you get used to it and it begins to be your cup of coffee. After a week you'll save enough that if you want you can spend two bucks on a coffee latte and think you've treated yourself to a real luxury.

A daily luxury soon becomes routine, and anything less feels like punishment.

The Real Bev

Mar 13, 2016, 5:19:24 PM3/13/16
On 03/13/2016 11:51 AM, BigDog811 wrote:
> On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 7:25:36 PM UTC-5, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 03/12/2016 04:10 PM, BigDog811 wrote:
>>
>>> Your opinion is wrong. I still own, and frequently use my burr
>>> grinder
>>
>> I have one, but I could never figure out why burr-ground coffee
>> was better than blade-ground, and the thing finally refused to
>> adjust.
>
> The biggest benefit of a burr over a blade grinder is the consistency
> of the grind. I used a blade grinder myself for a while but was
> never able to get the final result the same from one batch to
> another. This made the flavor of the coffee somewhat inconsistent.
> I bit the bullet and bought a Cuisinart electric conical burr grinder
> several years ago and have never looked back.

I think you've lost your audience. When I was working I used a black
mug. I once drank half a cup of hot water thinking "Man, the coffee is
really weak today..." before I actually checked...

I did make espresso with one of those little stove-top Bialetti things
once. Miserably disappointed.

> But it does require a
> little maintenance. When I was using it daily I'd take it apart
> every couple of weeks to wash it and brush out the grinding chamber
> and discharge chute.

What is this "maintenance" of which you speak? If it's not "tap a
couple of times to make sure the receptacle is empty" I'm hopelessly
confused.

> Gotta watch the oils and residue left behind -
> they'll turn rancid a spoil the flavor of your coffee. Now that I'm
> only using it occasionally I do that after each use.

See above regarding black mug.

>>> and french press to serve coffee to my dinner guests...but that's
>>> more drill and ceremony than I want on a day to day basis since
>>> this method was developed. Convenience has value.
>>
>> I had a FP too, but the second time I used it the glass broke. Too
>> many grounds the first time I used it -- I assume I was doing
>> something wrong.
>>
> Yeah, they can be a little delicate. Never happened to me, but I
> understand that if the glass gets nicked or scratched they're prone
> to breaking.

I suppose a plastic one is heresy...

--
Cheers, Bev
"Johnston [Island] was the home of a U.S. chemical weapons disposal

Joh...@badisp.org

Mar 13, 2016, 11:13:13 PM3/13/16
My God, is this group resurrecting itself? I recognize "Real Bev" but
where's the group clown, "Rod Speed"? [Actually I think I saw him the
other day on something like Alt.Home.Repair or maybe
alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.transvestites but maybe not.]

As to the subject, most instant coffee is like dirty dishwater or
Dunkin' Donuts crap but if you get away from the standard
freeze-dried-crystal type which looks as insipid as it tastes and go
for the real black powder used by the Hispanics, Indians, and Russians
you can approximate a reasonable espresso made from a dark French or
Italian roast.

The Hispanic version is the easiest to get and is usually sold as
"Instant Espresso" and is employed in recipes that call for some
coffee flavoring such as Tiramisu.

I prefer the Indian-made but mainly sold in Russia such as "JFK" brand
imported into the US for the Russian immigrant market. An on-line
retailer is Royal Sweet Bakery but be careful because they also sell a
freeze-dried version which is just as bad as the native US brands.

If you live in NYC Royal Sweet says you can get it in stores on
Brighton Beach Ave but I haven't seen it there in years. Instead I buy
it by the case direct from Royal Sweet for about $2.40 a 100gr can. A
case lasts me about six months.

I do have an Olympia espresso maker and a Rancillo grinder but for the
first couple of cups in the morning it's just too much effort to make
the real stuff.

Note that you can use Starbucks instant coffee and it's also a
reasonable approximation but the cost is very high.

The Real Bev

Mar 13, 2016, 11:49:35 PM3/13/16
On 03/13/2016 08:13 PM, Joh...@BadISP.org wrote:
> wilm...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 2:53:12 AM UTC-8, gggg...@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>> Is it really THAT good?
>>
>> This is "frugal living", not spending a buck on a cup of coffee.
>> Make yourself a cup of instant coffee for about $0.07 a cup. Sure,
>> it might not taste as good, but after a week or so you get used to
>> it and it begins to be your cup of coffee. After a week you'll save
>> enough that if you want you can spend two bucks on a coffee latte
>> and think you've treated yourself to a real luxury.
>>
>> A daily luxury soon becomes routine, and anything less feels like
>> punishment.
>

> My God, is this group resurrecting itself? I recognize "Real Bev"
> but where's the group clown, "Rod Speed"? [Actually I think I saw him
> the other day on something like Alt.Home.Repair or maybe
> alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.transvestites but maybe not.]

I finally killfiled him. The 5% of his posts that were sensible instead
of stupid rants just weren't worth the trouble. I've killfiled very few
usenet people. He's one of them.

> As to the subject, most instant coffee is like dirty dishwater or
> Dunkin' Donuts crap but if you get away from the standard
> freeze-dried-crystal type which looks as insipid as it tastes and go
> for the real black powder used by the Hispanics, Indians, and
> Russians you can approximate a reasonable espresso made from a dark
> French or Italian roast.
>
> The Hispanic version is the easiest to get and is usually sold as
> "Instant Espresso" and is employed in recipes that call for some
> coffee flavoring such as Tiramisu.
>
> I prefer the Indian-made but mainly sold in Russia such as "JFK"
> brand imported into the US for the Russian immigrant market. An
> on-line retailer is Royal Sweet Bakery but be careful because they
> also sell a freeze-dried version which is just as bad as the native
> US brands.
>
> If you live in NYC Royal Sweet says you can get it in stores on
> Brighton Beach Ave but I haven't seen it there in years. Instead I
> buy it by the case direct from Royal Sweet for about $2.40 a 100gr
> can. A case lasts me about six months.
>
> I do have an Olympia espresso maker and a Rancillo grinder but for
> the first couple of cups in the morning it's just too much effort to
> make the real stuff.
>
> Note that you can use Starbucks instant coffee and it's also a
> reasonable approximation but the cost is very high.

I buy Starbuck's French roast at Costco when it's on sale sometimes, but
I feel dirty afterward.

--
Cheers, Bev
(On going to war over religion:) "You're basically killing each other

gggg...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2016, 12:52:06 PM12/5/16
On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 12:53:12 AM UTC-10, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is it really THAT good?

"Secrets to finding Cheap Keurig K-cups":

http://coffeebeans.com/secrets-to-finding-cheap-keurig-k-cups/

ItsJoan NotJoann

Dec 5, 2016, 3:15:47 PM12/5/16
We've been waiting 8 months for you to share this information
and we got tired of waiting. We've all sworn off coffee all
because of you.

John Weiss

Dec 5, 2016, 3:22:38 PM12/5/16
On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 12:53:12 AM UTC-10, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:

>> "Secrets to finding Cheap Keurig K-cups":
>>
>> http://coffeebeans.com/secrets-to-finding-cheap-keurig-k-cups/

Costco. Their house brand Pacific Bold is 37 cents each.

BigDog811

Dec 5, 2016, 7:19:57 PM12/5/16
Yes. And good coffee it is.

There are a number of other sources for k-cups that some Keurig users may not consider. Office supply stores sell break room supplies and include large boxes of brand name k-cups in their inventory at very low prices - usually around 50 cents per pod. Also kitchen supply stores. My local Kitchen & Company store sells the full line of Green Mountain as well as other brand names for $24.99 for a 48 count box. It's not unusual to find those discounted as much as 20%. And don't forget your friendly neighborhood mega-mart grocery. I shop at Giant and Acme. I always cruise down the coffee aisle and from time to time find brand name 12 count boxes for as little as $4.99 if bought with a shoppers card.