Carbon monoxide dangers and winter heating

zeez

Nov 30, 2009, 8:28:48 PM11/30/09
http://www2.tricities.com/tri/news/local/consumer/article/carbon_monoxide_dangers_arise_during_winter_months/19194/

The winter months are here. As the mercury begins to dip, some
families, struggling to pay their heating bills, will turn on the
kitchen stove burners and the oven in an effort to take the chill off
their home. What these families don’t realize is how dangerous this
practice can be. A gas oven or range top should never be used for
heating. A fire could start and poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) fumes
could fill the home. Any fuel-burning heating equipment (fireplaces,
furnaces, water heaters, space or portable heaters), generators and
chimneys can produce carbon monoxide.

Often called a silent killer, CO is an invisible, odorless, colorless
gas created when fuels, such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas,
propane, oil and methane, burn incompletely.

CO enters the body through breathing. CO poisoning can be confused
with flu symptoms, food poisoning and other illnesses. Some symptoms
include shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, light headedness or
headaches.<more on site>

The Real Bev

Dec 9, 2009, 12:35:35 AM12/9/09
zeez wrote:

> http://www2.tricities.com/tri/news/local/consumer/article/carbon_monoxide_dangers_arise_during_winter_months/19194/
>
> The winter months are here. As the mercury begins to dip, some
> families, struggling to pay their heating bills, will turn on the
> kitchen stove burners and the oven in an effort to take the chill off

> their home. What these families don�t realize is how dangerous this
> practice can be.

Sometimes ignorance and stupidity carry their own penalties. Not often enough,
though.

> A gas oven or range top should never be used for
> heating. A fire could start and poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) fumes
> could fill the home. Any fuel-burning heating equipment (fireplaces,
> furnaces, water heaters, space or portable heaters), generators and
> chimneys can produce carbon monoxide.

Until I was in 6th grade the only heater in our house was an electric thing
that looked like a mini-fireplace in the bathroom. My grandma got up early and
turned the gas oven on. We survived. We weren't even sick very often.

We also burned our trash in the back yard incinerator.

--
Cheers, Bev
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'

gggg gggg

Feb 16, 2021, 10:26:39 PM2/16/21

Beaver Fever

Feb 17, 2021, 1:44:23 PM2/17/21
We used the oven too

We were poor and when it's California cold and you really only need that kind of heat on the occasional basis chances are you are going to survive.

Just got myself a little desk heater since my main problem is cold hands while working and the floor heater doesn't work too well. When I am working consistently the day starts as early as 6am and it's cold.

This place was built in 1941.

Bob F

Feb 17, 2021, 8:15:48 PM2/17/21
Just heard an interview on NPR. One hospital in Texas had 80 cases of CO
poisoning. IIRC, that was one day.