Must find a substitute for Kool Aid

Frugal Pete

Jun 7, 2011, 6:25:59 PM6/7/11
I have to get back to using the stuff to drink and in recipes and I do
not like their prices, never did.

In the sixties they had a competitor and a few grocery stores offered
the option... the high priced Kool Aid or the other ...more than SIX
TIMES CHEAPER ...20 packages for $1.00 if I recall correctly...10
or 20 gallons worth for $1.00.

Does that competitor still exist? I cannot find it...............

Message has been deleted

Fake ID

Jun 8, 2011, 1:31:06 AM6/8/11
In article <srhi-7747AC.2...@pppoe-94.136.209.74.ttel.ru>,
Shawn Hirn <sr...@comcast.net> wrote:
>In article <9b9tu61suk38kof3p...@4ax.com>,
>I don't know where you live, but all the supermarkets in the
>Philadelphia area have a section with powdered drink mixes that are much
>less expensive then canned or bottled drinks. Just ask at the
>information desk the next time you go grocery shopping. I usually buy
>Wyler's or Chrystal Light.

Wall Mart has their CL knock-off drink mix/industrial byproduct for
about half the price of the branded stuff.

SMS

Jun 8, 2011, 1:40:46 AM6/8/11
On 6/7/2011 3:25 PM, Frugal Pete wrote:

> In the sixties they had a competitor and a few grocery stores offered
> the option... the high priced Kool Aid or the other ...more than SIX
> TIMES CHEAPER ...20 packages for $1.00 if I recall correctly...10
> or 20 gallons worth for $1.00.

IIRC, Pillsbury's Funny Face was the big competitor to Kool Aid in the
1960's and its claim to fame was that it was pre-sweetened (with
cyclamates) so you did not add sugar like you did with Kool Aid (5 cents
a pack). Kool Aid responded with Pre-Sweetened Kook Aid for 10 cent a pack.

The Real Bev

Jun 8, 2011, 12:57:07 PM6/8/11

I haven't seen that for a long time. The only decent no-cal drink
powder now is Crystal Light.

--
Cheers, Bev
Always carry a length of fiber-optic cable in your pocket. Should

The Real Bev

Jun 8, 2011, 12:58:00 PM6/8/11

Pre-sweetened non-sugarful?

Lutsen Lumberjack

Jun 8, 2011, 5:12:42 PM6/8/11
On Jun 7, 5:25 pm, Frugal Pete <FrugalP...@nospam.frontiernet.net>
wrote:

Pee.

Jules Richardson

Jun 8, 2011, 5:26:30 PM6/8/11
On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 14:12:42 -0700, Lutsen Lumberjack wrote:
>> Does that competitor still exist?  I cannot find it...............
>
> Pee.

Mixed with screen-wash?

Bob F

Jun 8, 2011, 10:12:47 PM6/8/11
The Real Bev wrote:
> Pre-sweetened non-sugarful?

FWIW, I have quit using Splenda (sucralose) sweetener after several years of
achey muscles. My muscles were sore all the time. After quiting splenda for
awhile, I feel way better, especially after exercise.

Fake ID

Jun 9, 2011, 3:15:14 AM6/9/11
In article <iso9mo$s9d$2...@dont-email.me>,

The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 06/07/11 22:31, Fake ID wrote:
>
>> In article<srhi-7747AC.2...@pppoe-94.136.209.74.ttel.ru>,
>> Shawn Hirn<sr...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>>I don't know where you live, but all the supermarkets in the
>>>Philadelphia area have a section with powdered drink mixes that are much
>>>less expensive then canned or bottled drinks. Just ask at the
>>>information desk the next time you go grocery shopping. I usually buy
>>>Wyler's or Chrystal Light.
>>
>> Wall Mart has their CL knock-off drink mix/industrial byproduct for
>> about half the price of the branded stuff.
>
>Pre-sweetened non-sugarful?

Contains aspartame.
Also may contain traces of milk, almonds, pecans, walnuts, wheat and
soy.

$2 for enough to make 3 gallons. Used to be $1.50.
IIRC, the real Crystal Lite was $5.

Fake ID

Jun 9, 2011, 3:29:00 AM6/9/11

Is Flavor Aid still around? It was used for the Jonestown Massacre but
Kool-Aid got the credit.

Frugal Pete

Jun 9, 2011, 9:46:26 AM6/9/11

THANKS!
Flavor Aid!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that is what I am looking for.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavor_Aid

Good news and bad news.
LAST NIGHT I found that Walmart packages fake Kool-Aid (unsweetened
thank goodness) under their Great Value name. $010 .. that is 10
cents a pkg. Voila! Strange... I only found three flavors on the
shelf ..;.lemonade, cherry and grape. Strawberry was always my
favorite.

I will contact Flavor Aid and see who sells it.

Thanks again.

Message has been deleted

The Real Bev

Jun 9, 2011, 3:04:05 PM6/9/11
On 06/09/11 00:15, Fake ID wrote:
> The Real Bev<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On 06/07/11 22:31, Fake ID wrote:

>>> Wall Mart has their CL knock-off drink mix/industrial byproduct for
>>> about half the price of the branded stuff.
>>
>>Pre-sweetened non-sugarful?
>
> Contains aspartame.

Real shame they won't bring cyclamates back. Proof that when a
government does something wrong and/or stupid they can't correct -- or
even admit -- it.

> Also may contain traces of milk, almonds, pecans, walnuts, wheat and
> soy.

As long as there's only a minimal number of insect parts and rodent
hairs I'm happy.

> $2 for enough to make 3 gallons. Used to be $1.50.
> IIRC, the real Crystal Lite was $5.

Bought some of the Walmart stuff yesterday, but haven't tried it yet.
Comes in the same little tubular packages that Crystal Light comes in
now. Do you suppose that's more than a coincidence?

--
Cheers, Bev
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Fake ID

Jun 10, 2011, 2:33:45 AM6/10/11
In article <isr5f6$bqc$1...@dont-email.me>,

The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 06/09/11 00:15, Fake ID wrote:
>> The Real Bev<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Pre-sweetened non-sugarful?
>>
>> Contains aspartame.
>
>Real shame they won't bring cyclamates back. Proof that when a
>government does something wrong and/or stupid they can't correct -- or
>even admit -- it.
>
>> Also may contain traces of milk, almonds, pecans, walnuts, wheat and
>> soy.
>
>As long as there's only a minimal number of insect parts and rodent
>hairs I'm happy.
>
>> $2 for enough to make 3 gallons. Used to be $1.50.
>> IIRC, the real Crystal Lite was $5.
>
>Bought some of the Walmart stuff yesterday, but haven't tried it yet.
>Comes in the same little tubular packages that Crystal Light comes in
>now. Do you suppose that's more than a coincidence?

I haven't paid attention to CL packaging in quite a while.
But that reminds me that WalMart recently changed theirs from a
cylidrical container with 6 tubs to a rectangrical(?) container with 6
envelopes. The new packaging has 7 fewer parts, which I figure is
significant on a product where the package costs about as much as the
contents.

I go through about a gallon a day (tea flavors), so whatever traces of
rodent there are should be accumulating rapidly.

The Real Bev

Jun 10, 2011, 3:51:18 PM6/10/11

You're probably developing an immunity.

I'm trying to figure out what those plastic packages (with LIDS!) would
be good for. I hate throwing away containers that might be useful...

I need to finish a half-gallon of milk before I have a tea container :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
I love the way Microsoft follows standards. In much the

Fake ID

Jun 11, 2011, 2:23:40 AM6/11/11
In article <istsjo$8sc$1...@dont-email.me>,

The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 06/09/11 23:33, Fake ID wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Bought some of the Walmart stuff yesterday, but haven't tried it
>>> yet. Comes in the same little tubular packages that Crystal Light
>>> comes in now. Do you suppose that's more than a coincidence?
>>
>> I haven't paid attention to CL packaging in quite a while. But that
>> reminds me that WalMart recently changed theirs from a cylidrical
>> container with 6 tubs to a rectangrical(?) container with 6
>> envelopes. The new packaging has 7 fewer parts, which I figure is
>> significant on a product where the package costs about as much as
>> the contents.
>>

>I'm trying to figure out what those plastic packages (with LIDS!) would
>be good for. I hate throwing away containers that might be useful...

The round ones happened to be just the right size for my spare spin-down
trapper filter cartridges. When the packaging changed I quit throwing
the old ones out, but probably have too many now.

The Real Bev

Jun 20, 2011, 4:39:02 PM6/20/11
On 06/10/11 23:23, Fake ID wrote:

> In article<istsjo$8sc$1...@dont-email.me>,
> The Real Bev<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

OK, I just tried the 'peach' iced tea mix. It has kind of a peach
flavor, overlaid with something that might be gasoline or maybe carb
cleaner. Not all that unpleasant, but not quite what I expected. No
tea flavor to speak of.

>>> I haven't paid attention to CL packaging in quite a while. But that
>>> reminds me that WalMart recently changed theirs from a cylidrical
>>> container with 6 tubs to a rectangrical(?) container with 6
>>> envelopes. The new packaging has 7 fewer parts, which I figure is
>>> significant on a product where the package costs about as much as
>>> the contents.

I'd be willing to save and return my Costco pizza boxes if they'd give
me a discount! Those things are NOT cheap.

>>I'm trying to figure out what those plastic packages (with LIDS!) would
>>be good for. I hate throwing away containers that might be useful...
>
> The round ones happened to be just the right size for my spare spin-down
> trapper filter cartridges. When the packaging changed I quit throwing
> the old ones out, but probably have too many now.

It's amazing how many useful containers we have hanging around until we
figure out exactly what they can be used for... I just tossed a lot of
them into the recycling container -- let somebody else find a use for them!

--
Cheers, Bev
The people who don't know what they're doing and the people who

Lutsen Lumberjack

Jun 21, 2011, 12:55:47 PM6/21/11
On Jun 7, 5:25 pm, Frugal Pete <FrugalP...@nospam.frontiernet.net>
wrote:

Tang, the beverage of astronauts.

ThriftynWise

Jul 11, 2011, 3:28:24 PM7/11/11
On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 12:04:05 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 06/09/11 00:15, Fake ID wrote:
>> The Real Bev<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Bought some of the Walmart stuff yesterday, but haven't tried it yet.
>Comes in the same little tubular packages that Crystal Light comes in
>now. Do you suppose that's more than a coincidence?

Walmart has the 10 cent ENVELOPES ala Kool-Aid too... a better buy. I
think. I have some ..unsweetened.....10 for a dollar. The flavor is
tolerable.

But they may have limited the flavors as previously noted.

The Real Bev

Jul 11, 2011, 5:35:37 PM7/11/11

I can never figure out the proper amount of no-cal sweetener to add :-(

The pre-sweetened no-cal stuff I bought is not bad. Cherry tastes like
cherry kool-ade, peach tastes like anonymous pleasant fruit, peach ice
tea tastes like kerosene or similar, and lemon ice tea tastes like bland
lemon-stuff.

All things considered, worth the price. I'll buy more when I run out.

> But they may have limited the flavors as previously noted.

--
Cheers, Bev
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However,
this is not necessarily a good idea...."

Patricia Martin Steward

Jul 11, 2011, 5:54:17 PM7/11/11
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 14:28:24 -0500, ThriftynWise
<Thrift...@nospam.frontiernet.net> wrote:

>Walmart has the 10 cent ENVELOPES ala Kool-Aid too... a better buy. I
>think. I have some ..unsweetened.....10 for a dollar. The flavor is
>tolerable.

Yet not nearly as good as original Kool Aid.

--
We are becoming a country that believes the rich have earned their money but the well educated have not
earned their intellectual superiority. This leads to a nation that idolizes Kardashians.