Is America waiting for the automatic bike?

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 2, 2011, 8:56:00 AM3/2/11
Apparently it's not. It's been on sale for a while and the reception
has been lukewarm. Well, it seems like a perfect fit for all those
Toyota drivers who can save thousands of dollars, but this article
presents a deeper reason for this lack of enthusiasm...

'Most U.S. roads lack safe travel lanes for cyclists and few offices
provide secure places for employees to lock up their bikes or showers
for employees to use once they arrive at work. Until more support
systems are in place, Gamstetter says, it will be hard to entice new
people to try casual cycling or pedaling to work.

"We're up against the S.U.V.," says Gamstetter. "Culturally, the bike
scene in the United States has a long way to go."'

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/CuttingEdge/story?id=97909&page=3

So we are going to have to live with the same Toyota drivers until
they die or the gallon of gas hits the $8 mark. I just hoped our roads
became more friendly and that only true drivers stayed behind. But
perhaps what those bikes are missing is a good advertising campaign
reminding people that they don't need gas or insurance to ride one.
I'm getting one tomorrow at clearance price (200 bucks, brand new) so
I'll be talking later about the post-revolution vehicle. It must be
easy and reliable, right?

Mike A Schwab

Mar 2, 2011, 1:47:53 PM3/2/11
On Mar 2, 7:56 am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the
Stop the Bullshit Campaign" <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote:

They won't sell to other people the landrider automatic rear derailer
to install on their bicycles, which is a lot cheaper.

http://www.landriderbikes.com/

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 2, 2011, 2:50:43 PM3/2/11

Interesting. Is it too good to be true? The other ones work with
computers.

Does anyone know any bike with Browning automatic? It senses torque as
well as speed.

Mike A Schwab

Mar 2, 2011, 8:15:14 PM3/2/11
On Mar 2, 1:50 pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the

A co-workers spouse got one, really liked it. But you see the one
hybrid and one road frame they sell.

Wes Newell

Mar 2, 2011, 8:52:16 PM3/2/11
On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 05:56:00 -0800, His Highness the TibetanMonkey,
originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign wrote:

> Apparently it's not.

Why would it be waiting for it? It's been around for years already.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 3, 2011, 1:16:23 AM3/3/11

So there's no manual option? It seems a very simple solution.

Notice though the one I'm getting allows you to coast one hand free
while you talk on the phone. ;)

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 3, 2011, 1:21:07 AM3/3/11

It says in the article that many people are not even aware of it. Why
should they be when they are not advertised anywhere?

"People aren't really aware these systems exist," Browning says.
"We're just at the start."

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Mar 3, 2011, 9:35:09 PM3/3/11

<http://www.philaord.com/products/bar.html>?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Wes Newell

Mar 4, 2011, 12:43:51 AM3/4/11
On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 22:21:07 -0800, His Highness the TibetanMonkey,

originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign wrote:

> On Mar 2, 8:52 pm, Wes Newell <w.new...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 05:56:00 -0800, His Highness the TibetanMonkey,
>> originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign wrote:
>>
>> > Apparently it's not.
>>
>> Why would it be waiting for it? It's been around for years already.
>
> It says in the article that many people are not even aware of it. Why
> should they be when they are not advertised anywhere?
>
> "People aren't really aware these systems exist," Browning says. "We're
> just at the start."

The problems with the automatic bicycle transmission systems is twofold.
The first is that they are expensive by comparison. And the second is it
isn't that difficult to shift gears on a bike. Even a one armed person
can do it easily.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the Bullshit Campaign

Mar 4, 2011, 10:08:19 AM3/4/11

Sort of. Oftentimes you are lazy to shift and find yourself starting
from 2nd gear. This is useful in stop and go use such as the one I
have to the market some 2 miles away.

I took delivery of the bike yesterday and it seems to have a mind of
its own in shifting. But it has a 5 setting choice from fast to slow
pedaling. The wind was blowing hard and this is not ideal condition. I
have to play more with it though.

Only paid 200 bucks and the fitting came out perfect --sort like a
mini recumbent. And I can always resale it.

Mar 4, 2011, 11:30:43 AM3/4/11

"Wes Newell" <w.ne...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> The problems with the automatic bicycle transmission systems is twofold.
> The first is that they are expensive by comparison. And the second is it
> isn't that difficult to shift gears on a bike. Even a one armed person
> can do it easily.

And the biggest problem - a bicycle is useless in the many parts of America
for 6 months of the year (snow).