anyone make a wifi finder with internet telephone capabilities?

OhioGuy

Nov 19, 2008, 1:59:38 PM11/19/08
I'm wondering if anyone makes some sort of pocket pc that is wifi
enabled, and has enough 'horsepower' to run Yahoo Messenger?

I'd like something like that that would work with a plain vanilla
headset, and let me do voice calls over the Internet whenever the thing
finds an open wifi hotspot.

Obviously, I can buy a laptop for $400 that will do this, but I was
hoping that by now there would be something smaller with the same
capabilities, and hopefully cheaper. ($200 or less)

Thanks!

kayak44

Nov 19, 2008, 2:10:52 PM11/19/08

I'm surprised you can even get yourself dressed without asking about
it on a newsgroup.

Rod Speed

Nov 19, 2008, 2:36:40 PM11/19/08
OhioGuy <no...@none.net> wrote:

Some of the better cellphone will do that, like the Nokia N95 and N96.

They have a built in voip too.

Message has been deleted

Seerialmom

Nov 19, 2008, 9:55:08 PM11/19/08

Not for $200 but closer to $299-359 you can buy one of those nifty new
micro PC's. I picked up one at Target recently. The Asus EeePC runs
Ubuntu Linux but I'm also seriously considering one of the Acer
Aspires (same size but runs Windows XP and has more ram/HD space for
$50 more). Both have about a 8.5? screen I think.

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/products.html?n=0

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/08/04/acer-aspire-one/1

OhioGuy

Nov 20, 2008, 2:19:35 PM11/20/08

> I'm surprised you can even get yourself dressed without asking about
> it on a newsgroup.

Well, I DID end up with one red sock and one blue sock .......

OhioGuy

Nov 20, 2008, 2:22:15 PM11/20/08

> Not for $200 but closer to $299-359 you can buy one of those nifty new
> micro PC's. I picked up one at Target recently. The Asus EeePC runs

Hmm - was hoping for something a bit smaller. Anyone used a pocket
pc with voip?

Doesn't absolutely HAVE to be Yahoo Messenger, but I would prefer it
to be able to use any available Windows CE app. If I don't like one, I
could try something else.

Message has been deleted

SoCalMike

Nov 23, 2008, 7:52:49 PM11/23/08

maybe not what youre looking for, but the acer netbook is a 2lb laptop
and costs about $350. small, light weight, but not pocket sized.

Seerialmom

Nov 24, 2008, 7:43:36 PM11/24/08
On Nov 20, 7:11 pm, Shawn Hirn <s...@comcast.net> wrote:
> An Apple iPhone or an iPod touch might do what you want.

iPod Touch is definitely a "not" because it doesn't have a microphone
connector; just a speaker. Not sure about the iPhone.

Seerialmom

Nov 24, 2008, 7:45:16 PM11/24/08
> and costs about $350. small, light weight, but not pocket sized.- Hide quoted text -

I'm tellin' ya...it's a nifty looking device and if it's bought at
Costco you've got an automatic extended warranty as well. Plus the
keyboard is just the right size, not too small and not full sized.