Lost my digital TV converter coupon

TheHorror

Mar 1, 2009, 4:02:26 PM3/1/09
I put it on the table, and left it there for a few weeks. Time to
use it, looked all over the table, no coupon. Wasting hours and hours
looking for it. Now wasting your time b*tching about it. Now that
I've admitted losing it, maybe it will show up. Why do things always
get lost when you put them "someplace safe" ????

albu...@mailinator.com

Mar 1, 2009, 4:55:25 PM3/1/09

I'm not positive you lost anything. The first two I received were
expired by 10 days when they arrived. Maybe your's were expired too or
could be now anyway.

The Real Bev

Mar 1, 2009, 6:32:11 PM3/1/09
albu...@mailinator.com wrote:

I'm shocked that anybody here waited until the last minute. Didn't ALL frugal
people fill in the form as soon as it was available?

--
Cheers, Bev
Teamwork: A bunch of people running around doing what I tell them.

Vic Smith

Mar 1, 2009, 6:38:26 PM3/1/09
On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 15:32:11 -0800, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>albu...@mailinator.com wrote:
>
>> On Mar 1, 4:02 pm, TheHorror <unreelis...@aol.com> wrote:
>>> I put it on the table, and left it there for a few weeks. Time to
>>> use it, looked all over the table, no coupon. Wasting hours and hours
>>> looking for it. Now wasting your time b*tching about it. Now that
>>> I've admitted losing it, maybe it will show up. Why do things always
>>> get lost when you put them "someplace safe" ????
>>
>> I'm not positive you lost anything. The first two I received were
>> expired by 10 days when they arrived. Maybe your's were expired too or
>> could be now anyway.
>
>I'm shocked that anybody here waited until the last minute. Didn't ALL frugal
>people fill in the form as soon as it was available?

Maybe he doesn't even need it.
I can't say I'm surprised at all the people getting the coupon and
even kicking in some cash to get a converter box - because it's there!
It's "free!"
Reminds me of people crowding around free food when they're not
hungry. Even lousy food.
Not saying the OP is like this, but I think they've put out more
coupons and boxes than will ever be used.

--Vic

Jamie

Mar 1, 2009, 7:00:22 PM3/1/09

I applied for a coupon in February of last year when they first began
publicizing them, as I was worried about waiting to apply out of fear
they would run out fast. What I did not know at the time was that the
coupon would expire within 90 days of receipt. I didn't receive the
coupon until the end of April and saw the expiration date was July
10. I kept the coupon in my wallet and eventually used it in-mid June
at Best Buy. I hooked up the box on Feb. 16, since my local Fox
channel went ahead with dropping the analog signal the following day,
which of course was the originally scheduled transition date.
Unfortunately I cannot get my Fox station and have missed their Sunday
night lineups last Sunday and will do so again this evening.

albu...@mailinator.com

Mar 1, 2009, 11:05:13 PM3/1/09
On Mar 1, 6:32 pm, The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:

I applied early last year to be sure. It was the coupon administrators
that held the coupons until they expired and then mailed them. I gave
them to the kid to play with. I figured they might send live coupons
to my brother's Detroit address because it would look better to show
how they were assisting the poor. The coupons showed in two weeks from
that address. I used them the same day they arrived. The chincy boxes
have worked perfectly since.
My experience was not uncommon. I Googled and found others had the
same thing happen.

Message has been deleted

Ron Peterson

Mar 2, 2009, 10:24:28 AM3/2/09

The converters are almost useless because they need a strong signal.
Many people will need an amplified antenna to use them.

They are also crippled in that they can't be used with a computer
monitor to display the station in high definition.

A 19" HDTV can be bought for less than $300.

Or, a HD tuner add on can be added to a computer for $150.

--
Ron

bob haller

Mar 2, 2009, 10:35:59 AM3/2/09
expired cards will be replaced, so call
Message has been deleted

BigDog1

Mar 2, 2009, 11:22:42 AM3/2/09

All clearly explained in plain english on the web site when I
applied. They said it would up to six weeks to receive the coupons,
and the 90 days would begin to toll the day your application was
processed. Mine arrived in a little more than a month, and were eight
days old the day they arrived.

BigDog1

Mar 2, 2009, 11:32:12 AM3/2/09
On Mar 2, 9:02 am, Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm shocked that anybody here waited until the last minute. Didn't ALL frugal
> >people fill in the form as soon as it was available?
>
>         Seriously? No: Since the coupons expired 90 days from date of
> issue, it seems that most frugal folks would have waited 'til end of '08
> in hopes of technological improvements and/or lower prices.

Not really. The coupon eligible converters are all fairly low end SD
boxes that are about as far advanced as that technology will ever be,
as compared to full featured ATSC tuners, that aren't coupon
eligible. As to the prices, IMO they ain't going anywhere until the
coupon program is over, and the retailers have a load of low tech
converters they need to clear out without that $40.00 tax payer bump.

> complete the form on the gummint website but since their "system" could
> not confirm the street address that I was using to be a residence, it
> didn't work. Foot; had to buy mine with my own money instead of someone
> else's

BigDog1

Mar 2, 2009, 12:02:22 PM3/2/09
On Mar 2, 8:24 am, Ron Peterson <r...@shell.core.com> wrote:
> On Mar 1, 3:02 pm, TheHorror <unreelis...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >   I put it on the table, and left it there for a few weeks. Time to
> > use it, looked all over the table, no coupon. Wasting hours and hours
> > looking for it. Now wasting your time b*tching about it.  Now that
> > I've admitted losing it, maybe  it will show up. Why do things always
> > get lost when you put them "someplace safe" ????
>
> The converters are almost useless because they need a strong signal.
> Many people will need an amplified antenna to use them.

No they're not, and no you don't; unless you're already on the far
outside edge of the analog stations in your market. If you do need an
amplified antenna, an indoor model can be had for around $20.00. In
most markets the digital transmitters are at 50% or less power until
the analogs go off line. Once the digital signals go to full power
that problem will be gone for the vast majority of viewers. I have a
converter attached to a 20+ year old 19 inch TV in my workshop. I use
a simple UHF loop I bought for $8.00 at K-Mart and am getting the best
picture I've ever seen on that TV.

> They are also crippled in that they can't be used with a computer
> monitor to display the station in high definition.

They're not crippled. They're not designed to deliver HD signals,
just to convert the digital signals for SD sets. That's why they're
called "converters" not "tuners" (though they do replace the original
tuner in the TV set). They'll deliver a SD signal to any video
display, including a computer monitor, that has the appropriate input
connections. Most computer monitors don't have the inputs.

> A 19" HDTV can be bought for less than $300.

Correct. I got a Sanyo 19" LCD HDTV at the Circuit City liquidation
sale last week for $185.00. Works beautifully on the same kind of
unamplified UHF loop as the TV in my workshop.

Jeff

Mar 4, 2009, 10:50:38 PM3/4/09
Derald wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm shocked that anybody here waited until the last minute. Didn't ALL frugal
>> people fill in the form as soon as it was available?
> Seriously? No: Since the coupons expired 90 days from date of
> issue, it seems that most frugal folks would have waited 'til end of '08
> in hopes of technological improvements and/or lower prices.

That was my thought also. And the later boxes are better than the
first batch, even in the same model.

Happy with my Zenith box, not so much with the channel master.

I see that antennas are flying off the shelves...

Jeff

I tried to

ares

Mar 5, 2009, 9:02:21 AM3/5/09
It's a conspiracy, I tellya.... perpetrated by the senders of junk mail that
will end up covering up the item you're looking for.
ares

"TheHorror" <unree...@aol.com> wrote in message

Gordon

Mar 5, 2009, 8:29:58 PM3/5/09
Jeff <jeff_...@att.net> wrote in

>>> I'm shocked that anybody here waited until the last minute. Didn't
>>> ALL frugal people fill in the form as soon as it was available?
>> Seriously? No: Since the coupons expired 90 days from date of
>> issue, it seems that most frugal folks would have waited 'til end of
>> '08 in hopes of technological improvements and/or lower prices.
>

> That was my thought also. And the later boxes are better than the
> first batch, even in the same model.
>
> Happy with my Zenith box, not so much with the channel master.
>
> I see that antennas are flying off the shelves...

The Digital Stream brand box that I got from Radio Shack last June
is working out just fine for me. Of course we also found out what
evryone else is discovering. You need a decent antenna. I cobled
up my own out of two bow ties. Works good enough.

Jeff

Mar 6, 2009, 11:30:48 PM3/6/09

Bow ties are great on UHF, there are a few VHF channels and they work
poorly there. My 4 Bay commercial Bow tie does nothing on channel 8.

Good to hear about the Digital Stream.

Jeff

Gordon

Mar 8, 2009, 6:21:28 PM3/8/09
Jeff <jeff_...@att.net> wrote in

Yea.
Bowties are basicly a UHF antenna. That's why TVs used to have both
rabbit ears and a bowtie. In my area right now, all the DTV is being
broadcast on UHF, so the bowties work for me. But, when the transition
finaly comes, several stations are going to go back to their VHF
assignments. I'm going to have to play antenna games all over again.

leno...@yahoo.com

Mar 11, 2009, 8:08:15 PM3/11/09
Am I right in guessing, BTW, that you can't legally sell any extra
coupons you have even for, say, $15?

Lenona.

Dave Garland

Mar 11, 2009, 9:36:27 PM3/11/09
leno...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Am I right in guessing, BTW, that you can't legally sell any extra
> coupons you have even for, say, $15?

Yup.

Enforcement might be another issue. I suspect that nobody's going to
pay attention to onesies and twosies ("oh, my roomate got that"), but
you might not want to go in to the store to buy 40 converters with
coupons.

Dave