Have NOT used dryer for months now and may get rid of it

m...@privacy.net

Jan 10, 2010, 6:31:53 PM1/10/10
Been trying an experiment of NOT using clothes dryer
and instead hanging clothes on drying racks in house.

Works very well in winter

Will see how the spring and summer go when humidity is
higher

If works well in spring may sell the dryer!

Marsha

Jan 10, 2010, 6:34:30 PM1/10/10

I'd like to do the same, but my work clothes need to be dried.
Otherwise, I would have to iron - ironing is not in my vocabulary.

Marsha

m...@privacy.net

Jan 10, 2010, 7:10:54 PM1/10/10
Marsha <m...@xeb.net> wrote:

>I'd like to do the same, but my work clothes need to be dried.
>Otherwise, I would have to iron - ironing is not in my vocabulary.

Cant you buy iron free clothes?

That is what I have tried to do

Marsha

Jan 10, 2010, 7:50:20 PM1/10/10

I work in an office and have to dress professionally.

Jan 11, 2010, 8:23:01 AM1/11/10

"Marsha" <m...@xeb.net> wrote in message news:hidskg$hl8$2...@news.datemas.de...

Well I work at home and haven't worn anything but jeans in years. I would
never, ever consider not putting the jeans in the dryer. Wearing line-dried
jeans is pretty much impossible, and very hard on the skin. Also, if you
ever plan to sell the house don't get rid of the dryer. It's like not having
a dishwasher IMO.

imascot

Jan 14, 2010, 9:09:17 PM1/14/10
"h" <tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote in

I haven't used a dryer for 15 years, and I don't find line-dried jeans a problem (we do have a dryer, it
came with the house). I actually like "crispy-dry" jeans.

J.

Rod Speed

Jan 14, 2010, 11:01:14 PM1/14/10
imascot wrote
> h <tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote
>> Marsha <m...@xeb.net> wrote

>>> m...@privacy.net wrote

>>> I work in an office and have to dress professionally.

>> Well I work at home and haven't worn anything but jeans in years.
>> I would never, ever consider not putting the jeans in the dryer.
>> Wearing line-dried jeans is pretty much impossible, and very
>> hard on the skin. Also, if you ever plan to sell the house don't
>> get rid of the dryer. It's like not having a dishwasher IMO.

> I haven't used a dryer for 15 years,

I've only used one once in 65+ years.

> and I don't find line-dried jeans a problem

Yeah, I dont either.

> (we do have a dryer, it came with the house).

I do have one that I got free, but havent even bothered to hook it up.

> I actually like "crispy-dry" jeans.

Yeah, me too. And I dont do anything special in the wash either.

Michael Black

Jan 15, 2010, 1:06:52 AM1/15/10

What happens is that people become used to what they have.

We never had a dryer when I was a kid, so I've never used a dryer, well
except for a few times at other people's homes. I got into the habit of
drying on the line, and that remains. If someone starts out with the
habit of using a dryer, of course it will be much harder for them
to imagine living without it.

Michael

Jan 15, 2010, 1:14:57 PM1/15/10

"Michael Black" <et...@ncf.ca> wrote in message
I grew up with no dryer and when I discover the "laundromat" in college I
fell in love with soft, wrinkle free clothing. I will NEVER, EVER go back to
line drying anything. If it can't go in the washer and the dryer than I
don't own it. Period.

m...@privacy.net

Jan 15, 2010, 1:41:43 PM1/15/10
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

>What happens is that people become used to what they have.
>
>We never had a dryer when I was a kid, so I've never used a dryer, well
>except for a few times at other people's homes. I got into the habit of
>drying on the line, and that remains. If someone starts out with the
>habit of using a dryer, of course it will be much harder for them
>to imagine living without it.

agree

I actually think that it is faster and easier NOT to
use a dryer..... at least for a one person household
anyway!

Bob F

Jan 15, 2010, 3:40:08 PM1/15/10

You can line dry them, then throw them in the dryer for a "air" cycle for a few
minuts to fluff them up.

Lou

Jan 15, 2010, 7:57:07 PM1/15/10

"Michael Black" <et...@ncf.ca> wrote in message
We didn't have a dryer when I was a kid either - for that matter, my parents
let me give them a dryer as a Christmas present when I was about 40 - and I
didn't have my own until after college. I hated it. If someone starts out
with the necessity of line drying, it will be much easier for them to get
used to a dryer.

Lou

Jan 15, 2010, 7:59:54 PM1/15/10

"h" <tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote in message
(snipped)

> I grew up with no dryer and when I discover the "laundromat" in college I
> fell in love with soft, wrinkle free clothing. I will NEVER, EVER go back
> line drying anything. If it can't go in the washer and the dryer than I
> don't own it. Period.

I extend that to include the dishwasher. For instance, furnace filters
don't fit in the clothes washer, but the dishwasher get them nice and clean.

jeff

Jan 16, 2010, 11:38:32 PM1/16/10

Hmmm, just the other day I was looking at my kitchen and thinking of
getting rid of both the dryer and the dishwasher (neither of which I
use) to make room for solar hot water storage. I thought it was a great
idea!

Jeff

Jan 17, 2010, 8:04:26 AM1/17/10

"jeff" <jeff_...@att.net> wrote in message

Not if you ever plan to sell the house. It's one thing not to include the
appliances, but to not have any room for them is a deal-breaker for most
people.

m...@privacy.net

Jan 17, 2010, 10:40:03 AM1/17/10
jeff <jeff_...@att.net> wrote:

>Hmmm, just the other day I was looking at my kitchen and thinking of
>getting rid of both the dryer and the dishwasher (neither of which I
>use) to make room for solar hot water storage. I thought it was a great
>idea!

Well this is kind of my thinking as well..... to get my
energy usage DOWN as much as possible..... and then try
alternative energies such as PV panels

Rod Speed

Jan 17, 2010, 2:02:10 PM1/17/10
m...@privacy.net wrote
> jeff <jeff_...@att.net> wrote

>> Hmmm, just the other day I was looking at my kitchen and thinking of
>> getting rid of both the dryer and the dishwasher (neither of which I
>> use) to make room for solar hot water storage. I thought it was a
>> great idea!

> Well this is kind of my thinking as well.....

Its not mine with the dishwasher, I hate that mindless work.

> to get my energy usage DOWN as much as possible.....

The dishwasher doesnt use that much, particularly for just one person.

> and then try alternative energies such as PV panels

They are never worth if the mains is available.

Lou

Jan 17, 2010, 7:07:38 PM1/17/10

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

It makes sense to get your usage down. But so far, in most situations, it
doesn't make economic sense to switch to PV panels - electricity generated
by those things is expensive compared to buying it from your utility.

A dishwasher can be a pretty decent energy saver. I run mine once a day,
and according to the owner's manual, it takes 5.3 gallons to run through a
cycle. Not bad for a days worth of dishes.

jeff

Jan 18, 2010, 1:06:00 AM1/18/10
Lou wrote:
> <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> jeff <jeff_...@att.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hmmm, just the other day I was looking at my kitchen and thinking of
>>> getting rid of both the dryer and the dishwasher (neither of which I
>>> use) to make room for solar hot water storage. I thought it was a great
>>> idea!
>> Well this is kind of my thinking as well..... to get my
>> energy usage DOWN as much as possible..... and then try
>> alternative energies such as PV panels

Not yet or even soon for PV. Thermal is affordable, I'll heat the
kitchen with the water stored there and have left over for hot water off
season. Lots of hot water. Heating and hot water are sizable costs. I'll
have three spaces heated three different ways with solar soon.

If you live where there's wind, you can make your own windmill, plans on
the web for generators and you can carve the blades. Cheap.

> It makes sense to get your usage down. But so far, in most situations, it
> doesn't make economic sense to switch to PV panels - electricity generated
> by those things is expensive compared to buying it from your utility.
>
> A dishwasher can be a pretty decent energy saver. I run mine once a day,
> and according to the owner's manual, it takes 5.3 gallons to run through a
> cycle. Not bad for a days worth of dishes.

I just don't use mine, perhaps I should. Not planning on throwing it
away though.

Jeff

tmclone

Jan 20, 2010, 7:41:37 PM1/20/10
On Jan 17, 8:04 am, "h" <tmcl...@searchmachine.com> wrote:
> "jeff" <jeff_th...@att.net> wrote in message
> people.- Hide quoted text -

I have a house-hunting friend and I went with her to look at a
"restored" farmhouse out in the boonies near me. The idiot 20-
something boy who did the re-muddling put all the current "bells and
whistles" in the kitchen: stainless, granite, all that "modern" stuff
which doesn't belong in a 200-year-old farmhouse, but he failed to
include a stove. There's a fridge, sink, dishwasher, and a microwave
on a shelf about 5' in the air, but no stove, no oven. He apparently
doesn't cook, so he made the kitchen 5'x8' with almost no counterspace
and there isn't even a 220 hookup for an electric stove/oven. Since
there are no gas lines out here you'd have to install propane or
something else if you wanted gas. That's when we discovered that there
was neither washer nor dryer nor hookups for them either, not even in
the basement.

When I asked the realtor about these problems she laughed and said,
"Oh, come back to the kitchen and I'll show you." She looked all over
the place and then realized that yes, there really is no stove and NO
PLACE TO PUT ONE. I laughed out loud. How could she not have noticed
it before?

The really ridiculous part is that the house is quite large, yet
obviously the kid had relocated the kitchen to a small room in the
back of the house. Since it's partially under the back stairs I can
only assume he converted the pantry into a kitchen, since the rest of
the house layout is nearly identical to mine, which was built around
the same time. My kitchen is 14'x20' and my original pantry was
8'x10'. I stole some space from the pantry and converted it into a
laundry room.

And it's not like it's an easy fix to make the kitchen larger. The
south and west sides of the kitchen are on exterior walls, and the
back stairs run along the east wall (interior). The idiot kid put a
half-bath on the other side of the north (interior) wall, so that
would have to be torn out as well, but it's the only bathroom
downstairs.

People who neither cook nor clean should not try to design kitchens.

frater mus

Jan 26, 2010, 5:33:49 AM1/26/10
On 01/15/10 02:09, imascot wrote:

> I haven't used a dryer for 15 years, and I don't find line-dried jeans a problem (we do have a dryer, it
> came with the house). I actually like "crispy-dry" jeans.

It's been something over 5yrs here, and I really don't miss having a
dryer. I love that crispy feeling jeans and towels get when they are
line-dried.

--
brother mouse
composed offline and synced later.

Jan 26, 2010, 8:17:54 PM1/26/10

"frater mus" <frat...@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message

> On 01/15/10 02:09, imascot wrote:
>
>> I haven't used a dryer for 15 years, and I don't find line-dried jeans a
>> problem (we do have a dryer, it
>> came with the house). I actually like "crispy-dry" jeans.
>

> It's been something over 5yrs here, and I really don't miss having a
> dryer. I love that crispy feeling jeans and towels get when they are
> line-dried.

You must have sandpaper instead of skin.